AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Old 2017-05-09, 23:34   Link #1
marvelB

One Piece - Chapter 865 [manga]

Welcome to the weekly manga discussion thread for One Piece.

Thread GuidelineBriefs
  • One Piece is licensed by Viz, please don't ask for or mention where to find or download the manga.
  • Please do not discuss scanlations, translation groups, etc., etc.
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Discuss your expectations of the chapter if it has not been published yet.
  • Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome).
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
  • Spoilers will not be policed in this thread, so if you haven't read the chapter yet, just stay out if you don't want to read spoilers.
Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This includes images, scripts and direct translations of the manga. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK (only if you need to illustrate your point) but this is it.

Here we go again! Credit goes to AP's Redon for the spoiler:

-Chapter title is "Hey, mother". Splash ministory involves Cavendish recalling his childhood.

-While Caesar is busy setting up the escape mirror with Brulee, Katakuri is determined to stop Luffy from showing the broken picture to Big Mom. Meanwhile, Sanji attempts to rescue his family, but Daifuku's genie prevents him from doing so. Reiju, who's witnessing the surrounding turmoil, is touched that her younger brother is still going through such great lengths for their sake, despite acknowledging her own family's disgrace. She then thanks Sanji, who is proof positive that there still exists a conscience in the Vinsmoke family's blood.....

-Meanwhile, Capone takes on Katakuri, shooting at him, but the commander activates his ability, rendering the bullets useless against him. Jinbei and Pedro join in as well, but Katakuri easily evades him with his mochi body! Soon, the commander successfully captures Luffy! But, the supernova doesn't give up so easily, as he merely stretches out his arms to give Big Mom a close-up look of the broken picture. Linlin, upon gazing at the picture, finally reaches her breaking point, and begins making her strange yell....!!!

-The effects of Big Mom's scream are immediately apparent: Several wedding guests, as well as most of the ministers surrounding the Vinsmokes, all pass out! Sanji uses this opportunity to finally free his family from their restraints. As for Big Mom, just as Capone planned, the empress is brought to her knees, which gets her scraped. Capone uses this time to aim Caesar's poison launchers at her, while Nami and Carrot give the Vinsmokes capsules that contain raid suits.

-While Big Mom is down, she recalls a memory where she calls out to her mother. What begins is a flashback taking place 63 years ago.... at the island of Elbaf in the New World.....!!!!!

Last edited by marvelB; 2017-05-11 at 20:24.
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-05-10, 04:44   Link #2
Freya

Send a message via AIM to Freya
Oh! Sounds like an epic chapter! Too bad no chapter next week. :[
Old 2017-05-10, 12:05   Link #3
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Oh boy, a flashback... This is the end of the road for Big Mom, as a yonkou at least.
Old 2017-05-10, 13:28   Link #4
Rainbowman

Is it possible that Big Mom is from Elbaf? She must be quite the dictator if that's true.
Rainbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-05-10, 14:48   Link #5
WyrdMonger

She might be a half giant. Would explain her size... then again gigantism is extremely common in the world of One Piece.
WyrdMonger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-05-10, 14:49   Link #6
Ramero
7th Order Knight / Hermit

Or maybe incident that makes her loathes Elbaf in any ways, still i wonder how this things works out.

I think what happened if Usopp was there and Hajrudin kneels down to him, addressing him as a God and the Elbaf also worships him as god as well XD

I found it funny though Usopp will be addressed as God ever since Dressrossa arc XD XD XD
Ramero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-05-11, 03:06   Link #7
Nihgthawk

So no chapter next week and a flash back at that moment. I believe I speak for a lot of people when I say: AAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH
Nihgthawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-05-11, 08:58   Link #8
khoa1708
www.kh0a.net

flashback for bad guys = doom signal

i still don't believe they will take out bm here though... she seems so weak as a yonko
whitebeard took out like half of the navy and BM will fall this easily??
Old 2017-05-11, 10:26   Link #9
Trax
Rock beats scissors

Sad flashback -> Big mom for nakama! XD
Trax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-05-11, 12:29   Link #10
Ramero

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoa1708 View Post

i still don't believe they will take out bm here though... she seems so weak as a yonko
Whitebeard doesn't have particular weaknesses, even Ace's death strengthen his resolve while Big Mom does have weaknesses which is Mother Caramel.

So far Whitebeard and Kaido are the only one that doesn't have any weaknesses but still, looking at Kaido.. His hobby of suicide is a different thing.
Old 2017-05-11, 13:46   Link #11
itachi-san314

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoa1708 View Post

Usually flashbacks are death knells for villains, but I'm sure Oda is well aware of the trope as well.

I agree there's no way she's going down anytime soon after this flashback. I think the story is actually primed for her to impress us with how strong she really is and that Bege underestimated her. She will eventually go down at some point, but not before proving her worth as an emperor.

On another note, it's also going to be interesting seeing what happens when/if CC gets his heart back.
itachi-san314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-05-11, 14:56   Link #12
necrolyte

Most of the time I do not pay attention to the splash pages bug this time I really liked it. Cavendish and his horse are drawn really cool and the guy next to him(forgot his name too ) looks quite awesome too.

About the chapter, I didn't like it much, but atleast we finally saw Sanji doing something cool.
necrolyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-05-11, 17:56   Link #13
Slayerx

Quote:
Originally Posted by itachi-san314 View Post
Usually flashbacks are death knells for villains, but I'm sure Oda is well aware of the trope as well.

I agree there's no way she's going down anytime soon after this flashback. I think the story is actually primed for her to impress us with how strong she really is and that Bege underestimated her. She will eventually go down at some point, but not before proving her worth as an emperor.

On another note, it's also going to be interesting seeing what happens when/if CC gets his heart back.
Well we can be certain that the poison missile's of capone's won't kill her; if you explain a plan to the readers then its pretty much doomed to fail. However i do think this arc will be her downfall. I originally thought this arc was just gonna serve as a fancy intro to her before we got to the REAL fight with her later, but this arc has built up too far i feel. I mean there's just too much of Big mom's power that's been revealed; from her own personal power to all her best minions. Those reveals are what helps create the build up towards a conflict; we can't have the strawhats walk away from this only to face her down later on; i just don't think you'd be able to build up the conflict as much.
Old 2017-05-11, 21:54   Link #14
marvelB

I guess Big Mama isn't the only one getting a flashback, what with Cavendish being all nostalgic on the splash page and all!

Anyways, I do find it quite interesting that we're already looking into a Yonkou's past. Most likely, this flashback will explain Linlin's hatred towards giants, as well as her rise to power (which naturally should also mean a glimpse of the various husbands she did the nasty with). But really, I'm actually more interested in the fact that we may get our first real glimpse of Elbaf after all this time! Maybe we'll see some of the Elbaf giants from previous arcs, as well (Dorry and Broggy, Kashi and Oimo, Hajrudin, etc.)....

BTW, I find it rather odd that we haven't really seen Smoothie take any action so far despite being one of the commanders. I mean, in comparison Katakuri has been WAY more active despite having just been introduced just a few chapters ago when the wedding started, lol.
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-05-12, 01:37   Link #15
Clipens

Quote:
Originally Posted by itachi-san314 View Post

The Straw hats as a pirate group is evolving:
  1. Jinbe declared the Mirror group as Straw hats (including itself, Pedro, Carrot, Brulèè and Diesel as temporary Straw hats members);
  2. The Mirror group made an alliance with Capone Bege AND Gastino (Caesar is a Straw hat's ally);
  3. The cake incident labelled Brulèè and Opera as traditors and Pudding as incompetent
  4. Morgans is witnessing Jinbe, Pedro and an unknown rabbit mink as Straw hat pirates;
  5. Big Mom's scream caused a situational alliance between Straw hats and Vinsmokes and broke the spell of Mont d'Or;

Probably after this arc Morgans will label the Germa kingdom, Caesar and some former member of Charlotte family as Luffy's subordinates
Clipens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-05-12, 02:44   Link #16
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
As soldiers with no feelings, it seems that they're immune to Haki. Judge is strong enough and Reiju had to have her ear covered to survive.
Old 2017-05-12, 11:08   Link #17
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

Do we know how the SH got the germa suits?
Thinking either used Brulee's mirrors or Bege got them.
Old 2017-05-12, 11:18   Link #18
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

The panel with Sanji standing above the rest of his family after freeing them is badass. Judge's opinion of him will most likely change (especially given the set-back he just suffered), but I don't know about his brothers.
Old 2017-05-12, 11:32   Link #19
Ramero

Quote:
Originally Posted by ars89 View Post
Nami is most likely the one who do the job since stealing is her specialty.
Old 2017-05-12, 15:36   Link #20
Hoodspirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by ars89 View Post
The most logical thing would be that Bege/his crew gave them to the Straw Hats.
They were in charge of the security after all, which included disarming the guests.
But yeah, it would be easy for the Straw Hats to get them from their rooms as well if Oda wants it to happen that way. In the end it doesn't make much of a difference though.

The chapter seemed a bit weird with the pacing. The scene with Cesar seemed quite long and most of it was just a recap of how far the plan had progressed. A bit unnecesary right before a major flashback. Perhaps he needed to fill the space for the cliffhanger?
Why not using Smoothie for that? Unless he has plans with her + the rest of the females on turning against BM.

The fainting from the people around the Vinsmokes was predictable (ch 384 thread),
as well as Luffy succeeding with showing the picture (source Katakuri on the second one).
Elbaf being the place of BM's backflash is a major surprise as well as the time... BM only being 5 years old...not much she could do at that age right? Perhaps eating the devil fruit?
I guess she was abandoned by her real parents, and was put in some kind of orphanage with Mother Caramel. Was bullied for the same reasons why she was abandoned, with Mother Caramel being the only one nice to her. Then she probably found the fruit and accidently killed Mother Caramel with her ability or the mobbers in the orphanage and Mother Caramel took the blame for her.
BM was all alone afterwards and used her fruit to create homies in order to have company/friends.
Perhaps she saw a Straw Hat like Pirate Crew who just had a blast together and wanted the same thing.
Later was betrayed in her original crew and then she started to only let her family being the core of her Pirate Crew. She started with the family project at the age of 25 after all, and only the few oldest kids were battle ripe around the time Gol D. Roger stole the Poneglyph. So she had to be a powerhouse before that too.

Anyway I'm hyped about the Kingdom of the giants. Had so much build up for that already.
Hoodspirit is offline   Reply With Quote