081 - 090: Great... 2 4.00%
071 - 080: Very Good... 1 2.00%
061 - 070: Good... 7 14.00%
051 - 060: Average... 5 10.00%
041 - 050: Below Average... 2 4.00%
031 - 040: Bad... 2 4.00%
021 - 030: Very Bad... 0 0%
011 - 020: Awful... 3 6.00%
000 - 010: You'd rather be arm-wrestling for a Hamtaro T-shirt out back behind a defunct K-Mart... 25 50.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2010-07-28, 23:59   Link #1
james0246

[Anime-only] Shippuden Episode 170/171 Discussion

Welcome to this week's episode discussion thread posted before it airs in Japan (which is Thursday at 07:29 PM).
  • Naruto Forum RULES...
    • DO NOT ASK where to download RAWs or Fansubs... and DO NOT MENTION fansub group names...
      For further information please visit the Naruto Licensed! Ask for it = Ban thread
  • Thread Guidelines...
    • Absolutely no manga spoilers in any anime-only threads such as the weekly Episode Discussion threads. That means, no hints, or vague remarks about a future event from the manga, even within the spoiler tags. Inability to observe this rule will result in a BAN!
    • Discuss your expectations of this episode if it hasn't aired yet.
    • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
    • Try to keep the discussion on topic.

Everyone is encouraged to use the report post button if these rules are broken. The button is located in the left hand corner, at the bottom of every user name. It will notify a moderator who will deal with such post according to the rules.

This Week's episode (170/171):
Big Adventure! Search for the Fourth Hokage's Legacy - Part 1 & Part 2 - 大冒険! 四代目の遺産を探せ・前編 & 後編 ~ Daibōken! Yondaime no isan o sagase - Zenpen & Kōhen.

Description:

Credits –
Episode 170
Animation Supervisor: Yoshinobu Aohachi (160, 152)
Storyboard: Toshiya Niidome (152, 151, 129)
Episode Director: Naoki Horiuchi (160, 152)
Screenplay: Junki Takegami (144, 133, 128)

Episode 171
Animation Supervisor: Yuki Kinoshita (163, 156, 147)
Storyboard: Shinji Satou (162, 115, 107)
Episode Director: Yuki Kinoshita (163, 156, 147)
Screenplay: Junki Takegami (144, 133, 128)

Title for Next Episode:
Meeting - 出逢い ~ Deai.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-29, 01:50   Link #2
DarkHollowIchigo

Woohoo a shippuden special! Can't wait to see it =)
Old 2010-07-29, 06:44   Link #3
EoT
~~

170/171 double episode was purely filler and a real waste of time. I have no idea how it relates to the movie. I guess the good thing was the nostalgic music and the old school Naruto adventures.

Summary to episode to save you 40 minutes...

There is no shortcut to being a Ninja hah

Back to normal next episode.
EoT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-29, 09:13   Link #4
herculan

I totally agree, apart from the nostalgic feeling with the good ol' music, naruto jokes and ninja missions it was totally crap.... xD I hoped it to be more like jiraiya's gaiden :P
Oh well,
herculan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-29, 09:52   Link #5
Petbe
Wingless Angel

I had really considered gouging my eyes out while watching this episode. I had considered rewatching some of the old episodes but I have not lost my appetite. I know I know, I should give the episode some credit but eh.... I had to skip a lot of the portions. I just cannot watch the episodes like i use to.
Old 2010-07-29, 10:22   Link #6
Bombo
TSF Fans

Frankly....
I like it ..Remind me the old episode with some old soundtrack
Bombo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-29, 11:39   Link #7
DeDe
Ino-Shika-Cho

I loved it. Why? It reminded us what Naruto used to be. Fun. I loved certain parts of Shippuden, but I would never describe any of it as fun. Even the filler. These two episodes brought back some of the Part 1 Naruto magic. So for a brief moment it was nice to see old humorous Naruto. Especially coming off the Pain fight.

Hearing the Part 1 music was great. I also really loved the way the two episodes, particularly 171 looked. And all the cameos. The Sand Siblings, Anko, etc. There was even a more tolerable Sasuke.

Interesting, in the manga, it was considered shocking that Shikamaru made the chuunin exam finals. The only person with worse grades than him was Naruto. Only Asuma knew he was a genius. But in the first episode, Izumo and Kotetsu were not surprised that Sasuke Uchiha and the son of Shikaku made the finals. They were only shocked by Naruto. So I guess that was a slight anime re-con based on Shikamaru's rep in Shippuden and his dad's status.

Last edited by DeDe; 2010-07-29 at 12:17.
DeDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-29, 12:20   Link #8
kitten320

Sooo... what was the point of this special axcept being nostalgic? I found it as a waste of time.
Old 2010-07-29, 12:41   Link #9
DeDe
Ino-Shika-Cho

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320 View Post
Sooo... what was the point of this special axcept being nostalgic? I found it as a waste of time.
To promote the Naruto movie opening in August which features Minato. Gai even had the move poster with him for product placement.

To be honest, all the filler arcs in Shippuden have been a waste of time. None of them have been good. So I am glad they went back to Part 1 rather than present day Shippuden to promo the movie with filler.
Old 2010-07-29, 13:18   Link #10
Arjento

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeDe View Post
To promote the Naruto movie opening in August which features Minato. Gai even had the move poster with him for product placement.

To be honest, all the filler arcs in Shippuden have been a waste of time. None of them have been good. So I am glad they went back to Part 1 rather than present day Shippuden to promo the movie with filler.
Curry Of Life?...

I'll take Shippuuden fillers anyday.

Not this daycare crap.

First time I ever voted an episode 1/10.
Arjento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-29, 14:02   Link #11
Ashaman

Meh, basic Part 1 filler stuff.

Not very good, but not particularly bad either.

Gotta say this reminded me why everyone hated part 1 Sakura, not that Ino is much better here.

Naruto: though it annoyed me at first, his stupidity gradually began to endere me to him again as time went on. I'd forgotten how much of an idiot he used to be.

Everytime he mentioned the 4ths Legacy, I couldn't help but think 'Look in a mirror.'or something like that. No one saw fit to mention it to him that he was the Legacy? You would have thought old Saru would know.
Old 2010-07-29, 14:10   Link #12
Jerseykid

My hard drive wants its space back.
Jerseykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-29, 14:18   Link #13
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

I'm skipping this altogether >_>
HayashiTakara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-29, 14:46   Link #14
lotus_lee

What the hell, so much for Nagato's story when they put in this BS half way through! If they are doing this just to promote the movie, then it's all about money! It always is.
lotus_lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-29, 15:52   Link #15
Ulquiorra
Inactive Member

Send a message via ICQ to Ulquiorra Send a message via AIM to Ulquiorra Send a message via Yahoo to Ulquiorra
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus_lee View Post
What the hell, so much for Nagato's story when they put in this BS half way through! If they are doing this just to promote the movie, then it's all about money! It always is.
Strangely I'd rather see Naruto act like an idiot again than Nagato's emo story which I'll probably skip. I forgot how endearing Naruto could be when not lusting over Sasuke and instead lusting after Sakura.. The whole point of the anime is to make money. Do you think they animate these episodes for art? Geez.

People voting it a 1 are being haters. Even though it was filler it brought back some memories of when Naruto was awesome. Naruto peaked around the Chuunin Exam arc and hit a high point with the Sasuke Rescue Arc. It never reached those levels again outside of a few parts of Shippuden.

The only part of the episodes I disliked was Sasuke even though he barely appeared. Crazy Shippuden Sasuke is so much more entertaining than old boring Sasuke trying to act cool.

I also thought it was surprising that Choji and Ino put their kunai to the throats of Sakura and Naruto. For lighthearted episodes that was creepy. I often wonder how Shikamaru doesn't kill himself having to babysit those two losers.
Ulquiorra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-29, 22:28   Link #16
Maxtro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashaman View Post
Everytime he mentioned the 4ths Legacy, I couldn't help but think 'Look in a mirror.'or something like that. No one saw fit to mention it to him that he was the Legacy? You would have thought old Saru would know.
Guy's reaction should have been enough for you to realize what's going on. Nobody is allowed to tell Naruto about his parents.

So of course that Sarutobi knows. Only Anko didn't seem to know.

The only part that confuses me was why nobody told Naruto who is father is. Did Minato give Naruto the reason in the vision? I may have to watch that episode again.
Maxtro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-29, 22:30   Link #17
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

What a waste of 2eps this would have been better 5 or so years ago instead of now but it was some what good
Old 2010-07-30, 01:32   Link #18
lordblazer
Radical Dreamer

hmm I thought it was a troll.. I guess it was for realz! :P
lordblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-30, 04:36   Link #19
Ashaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxtro View Post
Guy's reaction should have been enough for you to realize what's going on. Nobody is allowed to tell Naruto about his parents.

So of course that Sarutobi knows. Only Anko didn't seem to know.

The only part that confuses me was why nobody told Naruto who is father is. Did Minato give Naruto the reason in the vision? I may have to watch that episode again.
I more meant the Kyuubi. Whenever it is meantioned in context, they mean the Kyuubi, and not his parentage.

No, Minato doesn't give a reason. Apparently it was Sarutobi's decision, and any reason is merely speculation.
Old 2010-07-30, 11:07   Link #20
iBeast

This anime will be reborn when the focus shifts back to Sasuke.
iBeast is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weekly episode discussion