Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2010-01-07, 14:50   Link #261
Raiga
tl;dr

Quote:
Originally Posted by billborden View Post
OK, that was ...different. I don't hate it, and it did compress a bit of the first tankōbon down and cut out a few threads that were probably going to have to go if this is going to run just 12-13 episodes. I would have liked to have seen it adhere closer to the source, but they did a fairly good job, and--lets face it--if they stick too close to the original, there's much less of a reason for a fan of the manga to watch it and no real surprises (ie: Urasawa Naoki's "Monster").

Spoiler for little twist:
Spoiler:
Old 2010-01-07, 14:54   Link #262
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belial13 View Post
and a question to the manga readers: are all vampire "true" forms this stupid ? i mean a lizard as a vampire... i like to think i am open minded but that is just silly
More like each form is a reflection of the vampire. There is no "standard look" when vampires transform.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuopidget View Post
That's also an anime original. To be honest that's the major part that just made me go “What?".

Spoiler for picture:

Thing just looks so dumb.
The first thing I thought of when I saw that thing was the murloc costume from World of Warcraft -

Yeah he's a footnote vampire, but it's the first episode! At least don't disgrace him by turning him into a freaking gecko.

"Greetings Mina. I hear you just created a new island, and I'm here today to talk to you about how much you could save by changing car insurance. MRRGRrRRRLGgRRllll!"

Old 2010-01-07, 14:58   Link #263
billborden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiga View Post
Spoiler:
Point granted
Old 2010-01-07, 15:20   Link #264
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Well I think the tv show bit was dragged out a bit too long. Still overall has me interested in the series. Just the little bits like the reaction when that guy showed up in the crowd interview and the order for the loser vampire to die. Looking forward to seeing what we get from this show. Bit of a rough start, but should still turn out alright.
Old 2010-01-07, 15:24   Link #265
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

interesting introductionary route to take. i would have preferred a closer path to the manga, but this is good as well. it seems they'll just rearrange some stuff, since we saw in the preview something that happened in the first chapter.

happy Mina when she saw Akira made me happy. Then sad Mina made me sad. overall, i'm excited and happy this is getting an adaptation by shaft. now gg has to do their sub, so i can see what they choose to do with it.

though i wonder if they'll do student council arc now, since they already used up that setup.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-07, 15:37   Link #266
billborden

Quote:
Originally Posted by germanturkey View Post
though i wonder if they'll do student council arc now, since they already used up that setup.
I doubt it, or it will be seriously compressed. They're trying to cover 5 volumes in 12 episodes; something has to go.
Old 2010-01-07, 15:39   Link #267
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuopidget View Post
That's also what people on /a/ were talking about.

Before airing: Who the hell's going to watch this shit with dumbass lolicon fanservice BS?
After airing: Who the hell's going to watch this shit with no fanservice at all?
What for real?! This season sure is epic with its first episodes and surprises.
Old 2010-01-07, 15:52   Link #268
Saber Cherry
Marionette

I found the first episode quite disappointing. If they want to make anime original episodes, that's fine, and honestly it's not hard to make them better than the original manga. But starting with an original episode worse than the mediocre source is portentous. Aside from the fact that it was boring, it implies that the director doesn't really understand the concept of the series - it makes no sense to have Mina demonstrate on live TV that vampires are dangerous, crazy monsters that can't be trusted around humans and that their "leadership" is incapable of preventing even the most lowly peons from wreaking havoc at will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
"Greetings Mina. I hear you just created a new island, and I'm here today to talk to you about how much you could save by changing car insurance. MRRGRrRRRLGgRRllll!"

:giggle:
Old 2010-01-07, 16:01   Link #269
Freya

Send a message via AIM to Freya
Yeah I read the manga and I had no idea what was going for the first half of the episode. This whole episode was entirely a waste. They could have used it to introduce the main character and other stuff. Probably not going to follow the manga entirely from what I can see.
Old 2010-01-07, 16:11   Link #270
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freya View Post
Yeah I read the manga and I had no idea what was going for the first half of the episode. This whole episode was entirely a waste. They could have used it to introduce the main character and other stuff. Probably not going to follow the manga entirely from what I can see.
I don't see how it's a waste. We're just taken into the position of an everyday person, and seeing and how they'd react to such an incident. Sure i can understand why people wouldn't like it (most manga readers), though it's not at all a waste.
Old 2010-01-07, 16:19   Link #271
iwatch2muchanime
Lazy

Well I found the first episode quite an interesting way to start the show. I liked it quite a bit, however it seems that the animation itself was stand a lone as the episode lol. It seems the quality so far isn't that great, so if they decide to start the show out following the manga more then they better amp up that quality.
Old 2010-01-07, 16:38   Link #272
billborden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saber Cherry View Post
I found the first episode quite disappointing. If they want to make anime original episodes, that's fine, and honestly it's not hard to make them better than the original manga. But starting with an original episode worse than the mediocre source is portentous. Aside from the fact that it was boring, it implies that the director doesn't really understand the concept of the series - it makes no sense to have Mina demonstrate on live TV that vampires are dangerous, crazy monsters that can't be trusted around humans and that their "leadership" is incapable of preventing even the most lowly peons from wreaking havoc at will.
Actually, Mina does demonstrate quite clearly that her leadership works..."Die!"; and other than that, everything that happens on the TV show, is, at least, a reflection of what happens in the manga. They needed to compress the series set-up as much as possible, and that's what they did. I don't think that compression was the best choice or that this was the best way to do it, but then I also think that they should either do fewer tankōbon or have more episodes. As it stands, I think that the director clearly understands "...the concept of the series", he's just re-writing story to get to where he wants to start. I'm not willing to write the show off yet; I'll watch the next few episodes to see how much damage was done to get the compression they needed. It's still entirely possible that they will pull a good series out of this.
Old 2010-01-07, 16:46   Link #273
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

just watched the first episode and... wow... WTF?!
HayashiTakara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-07, 16:49   Link #274
Foreshadow
Nyaa~

I'm going to watch the episode soon, but It seems they went Original for the first episode....

Interesting... Considering the first introductory Manga chapters did a very good job in introducing the main characters. Especially in Terms of how they attained the Bund in the first place.

I'll watch it first and judge it for myself, but I'm alittle disappointed already.
Foreshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-07, 16:57   Link #275
Forbin
I'm a sucker for Harem

I liked the manga starting more than the Anime one honestly.

1) By and Large...they are ** and *****.
2) What kind of girls do Anime Otaku males want? ..................... Female.
3) The odds are good, that the goods are odd.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-07, 17:31   Link #276
Foreshadow
Nyaa~

It was certainly entertaining, but very disappointing. Only Mina has been introduced, and Akira has only been shown once. Seems like a waste of time considering they only have 12 episodes to do this, especially since the Introductory chapters are very exciting.

There's still a huge cast of characters to be introduced and the plot hasn't moved much at all, the announcement seemed to be lacking effect as well.

6/10 for the first episode lower had it been compared to source material.
Foreshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-07, 17:44   Link #277
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
I could've lived without this episode. They should've stuck with the manga instead of wasting time addressing an obvious fact that could be easily understood without all this riff-raff. Overall, I'm disappointed, and not just because of this episode, but because it's going to ruin some parts of the stories that happen later, for instance:

Spoiler for Manga:
Tsuyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-07, 18:23   Link #278
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

well, at least next week we'll get the first chapter hopefully. and a glimpse of how badass the show really is.

also, i'm let down because the student council arc was one of the better ones. and sets up characters for later on.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-07, 18:53   Link #279
elite-dreams
Boku no matsuro

i hope they start with the actual story in the next episode :x didn't really like what they did with that reality show intro >.>
but i really like mina tepe's voice actress
elite-dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-07, 19:02   Link #280
Mentar
Banned

My god, was this horrible.

The point is that this anime-original stuff was done in a totally inappropriate atmosphere which not only didn't fit the source, it fully contradicted it. SHAFT's "gotta be different than everybody else" schizophreny definitely did the story a huge disservice with this nonsense.

In this season, the number of shows I was actively looking forward to is so low, that I can't remember any other one with an even lower number of promising series. Really a "catch up with stored unwatched old stuff" season. And then this disappointment.

Shame on you, SHAFT. Hope we'll be back to normal starting with episode 2. Or I'll have an early drop and retreat to the manga again. :-\

Only highlight: The ED.
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, romance, seinen, shaft, supernatural, vampire, violence