AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Music

Notices

Old 2007-08-18, 09:25   Link #61
FoxHound9
らき☆すた fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taraqs View Post
There is a diffrence between Rap and Hip hop. Rap=MainStream BootyShaking Cars Money Money BootyShaking BootyShaking Hoe's Cars Money BootyShaking BootyShaking Hoes and more BootyShaking. I also forgot Money.

Hip hop= Everything from the 90s and below. I can find two lyrics one from Biggie and one from Tupac. Then one from 50cent and one from Jayz. I will post them here and I want you to tell me which one is real rap.
I can relate to rap being mainstream and all, but I disagree with Hip Hop being restricted to the 90s and below. During the 90s and below the MAINSTREAM hip hop might have been good, but to this day there are plenty good underground mcs and groups that rhyme about anything from politics to romance issues to just partying.
http://myspace.com/blackalicious
http://myspace.com/brotherali
FoxHound9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-18, 16:00   Link #62
mrvetle

Last edited by mrvetle; 2008-07-02 at 20:45.
mrvetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-18, 16:26   Link #63
Urotsukidoji
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mueti View Post
And to the two metalheads here: Metal is not better than rap. It's funny that you mentioned Sonata Arctica because I would say they're inferior to pretty much every rap-artist I listen to. Don't get me wrong, I like metal as well and the genre has produced some great music and what I said before certainly applies the other way around as well: rap is not better than metal. But I just don't like it when people dismiss a whole genre without ever giving it a serious try, or worse, exclusively listen to only one genre. Not that I would force anyone either.
IMO, metal is better than rap. However, I do not base this on assumption or ignorance; I tried at least seventeen times in my life to listen to rap, and all seventeen times I hated it. The simple, repetitive beat paired with the intensely rhythmic lyrics with obscenities every other word just grates on my nerves like sandpaper does a block of wood... Here's a prime example:

Spoiler for Kanye West - Crack Music:

How can anyone even like this? Especially the first part, with all the "la-la-la-la-la-la-la-black music." Megadeth's Burnt Ice conveys practically the same message, about drug addiction. The only difference between Burnt Ice and Crack Music is that the former is devoid of racial slurs, idiotic "Crack Music! Black Music!", and sounds much better overall. Believe me, I know... I actually listened to both of them, and Megadeth's song is superior.
Urotsukidoji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-18, 17:10   Link #64
Mueti
あ!

Send a message via ICQ to Mueti
You can't extrapolate to a whole genre from the comparison of two songs (neither of which I know, I have to admit). But it's up to you, whether you make the effort and try looking for the good stuff or not.
I myself enjoy discovering new genres (now I do that is...it wasn't always the case) and have yet to find one which doesn't offer multiple great bands/musicians.
Old 2007-08-19, 03:29   Link #65
2H-Dragon
Silent Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urotsukidoji View Post
Not all rappers rap about "niggas and bitches" (to them, "bitches" and "hos" are technically the same thing) just like not all rock stars sing about women leaving them. Tony Kakko of Sonata Arctica and James Hetfield of Metallica both include extensive literary references in their vocals (Sonata Arctica's Wolf and Raven is a completely obvious homage to Shakespeare's Macbeth). The extreme power metal band DragonForce tends to sing more about driving a Dire Sword of Frost straight through an orc's head rather than about love. The death metal band Cannibal Corpse sings exclusively about gore rather than love (song titles like "Blunt Force Castration," "Drowning in Viscera," "Hammer Smashed Face," "Dormant Bodies Bursting," and "Hatchet to the Head" are a testament to this). NWOBHM band Iron Maiden prefer epic vocals and high-flying dual guitar wankery, and incorporate poetic and literary references into their songs (check out "The Rime of the Ancient Mariner," which retells the poem of the same name).
Of course they don't all sing about the same thing. It was just kinda way to make a point that lyrics ain't that important. Hell we listened to them all already, but where still ready to hear some more.
Even if they sing about other things I just don't care tbh. IMO music is for listening. Nothing more nothing less. Of course there are some songs with deep lyrics, but I am not listening to music for the dept of lyrics. If you are looking for some dept and things that will change your views on life I think you are looking at the wrong place.
2H-Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-20, 05:02   Link #66
Mueti
あ!

Wow, I recently got MF Doom's Operation: Doomsday and it's absolutely awesome! I can only recommend it to everyone who hasn't listened to it yet!
Old 2007-08-20, 10:37   Link #67
FoxHound9
らき☆すた fanatic

Quote:
IMO, metal is better than rap. However, I do not base this on assumption or ignorance; I tried at least seventeen times in my life to listen to rap, and all seventeen times I hated it. The simple, repetitive beat paired with the intensely rhythmic lyrics with obscenities every other word just grates on my nerves like sandpaper does a block of wood... Here's a prime example:

Spoiler for Kanye West - Crack Music:

How can anyone even like this? Especially the first part, with all the "la-la-la-la-la-la-la-black music." Megadeth's Burnt Ice conveys practically the same message, about drug addiction. The only difference between Burnt Ice and Crack Music is that the former is devoid of racial slurs, idiotic "Crack Music! Black Music!", and sounds much better overall. Believe me, I know... I actually listened to both of them, and Megadeth's song is superior.
I'm not a huge Kanye fan, but that wasn't really about drug addiction... it's about how the gov't and the police infiltrated the black panthers with crack and heroin. It's just not a very good song... and definitely should not be the standard that hip hop is judged for.
FoxHound9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-20, 11:14   Link #68
Urotsukidoji
*IT Support

Then, I suppose the question would be... what is the best hip-hop/rap song ever? I would love to get into it... I just need a suggestion.
Urotsukidoji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-20, 11:31   Link #69
Mueti
あ!

Well, since that's obviously purely subjective I can only speak for myself. And I can't really recommend a single song... but my favorite album is clearly Madvillain's Madvillainy. It's not easy to get into (at least for me it wasn't) but once you got it it's awesome and beyond.
If you don't like it...I don't think I can help you.
Old 2007-08-21, 16:14   Link #70
Tommy
Mr. Prince

Quote:
Then, I suppose the question would be... what is the best hip-hop/rap song ever? I would love to get into it... I just need a suggestion.
Here's my fav rap albums, pretty much every song is good.

1. Nas- Illmatic listen to "Represent"

2. Deltron- 3030 listen to "Mastermind"

3. Lupe Fiasco- Lupe Fiasco's Food and Liquor listen to "Day Dreamin"
Tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-22, 07:26   Link #71
SilentKnight
Yukio Sumadera Fan

Quote:
I don't believe one can name a "best" song ever, at least I can't. To me there are a lot of notable and quality tracks by many artists.

Suggestions: Artist- title
Sage Francis - Runaways, Slow Down Ghandi, Black Out On White Night, Going Back To Rehab

sol.iLLaquists of sound - As If We Existed, Ur Turn, Berlin, Ask Me If I Care

Pharoahe Monch - When The Gun Draws, Truth, New World Symphony

Talib Kweli - Listen, The Manifesto, The Beautiful Struggle, Around My Way

there are tons of other excellent tracks, but this should be enough to start you off.

if you wish I can compile a collection of what I deem to be notable rap songs and upload a RAR file to sendspace.
Old 2007-08-23, 20:23   Link #72
Kindred
It's in your reach...

Quote:
try some of kanye's songs from his first album (where he tried to make a sound that was interesting). The albums called college dropout.
I recommend:
Kanye West - Never Let Me Down
Kanye West - Through The Wire

Other songs from other ppl:
Bone Thugs And Harmony - 9mm (if u like rhythm and harmonics, listen to these guys)
Bone Thugs And Harmony - Candy Paint
Bone Thugs And Harmony - Wind Blow
Bone Thugs And Harmony, Felicia - So Good So Right
Bone Thugs And Harmony, Mariah Carey & Bow Wow - Lil' Love
Bubba Sparxxx - Deliverance
Bubba Sparxxx - She Tried
Bubba Sparxxx, Frankie J - Run Away
Bubba Sparxxx, Petey Pablo, Sleepy Brown - The Otherside
DMX - Slippin'
DMX, Mr Vegas, Sean Paul - Here Comes Da Boom
Eminem - Like Toy Soldiers (You might like try)
Eminem - Mockingbird
Ice Cube - You Can Do It
Fort Minor - Remember The Name
Fort Minor - There They Go
Fort Minor - Red To Black
Fort Minor - Right Now
Fort Minor - Where'd You Go

And theres just a few for u

Enjoy
Kindred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-24, 15:36   Link #73
SilentKnight
Yukio Sumadera Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mueti View Post
Well, since that's obviously purely subjective I can only speak for myself. And I can't really recommend a single song... but my favorite album is clearly Madvillain's Madvillainy. It's not easy to get into (at least for me it wasn't) but once you got it it's awesome and beyond.
If you don't like it...I don't think I can help you.
Madvillain is made of win.

ArtOfRhyme.com usually has some pretty good selections during the course of the week.
Old 2007-08-25, 13:41   Link #74
Shadow Raven 91
She's a Genius I swear it

Madvillainly is an amazing album. I Started off with DangerDoom so madvillaniy wasn't to hard to get into for me. Just got the re issue of MM. FOOD and a few songs from Operation: Doomsday. I love DOOM.

Scienz of Life is good also. I like the tracks they produced with DOOM.
Shadow Raven 91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-25, 21:39   Link #75
Mueti
あ!

Ah, everyone loves Madvillainy. This makes me happy.
MF Doom's Operation Doomsday does almost reach the same awesomeness.
Old 2007-08-26, 15:10   Link #76
Shadow Raven 91
She's a Genius I swear it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leedizzle View Post
I really don't think mainstream rap music is hated by that many people really.

At least from what I have experienced in my High School and currently my College is that most people enjoy mainstream rap.

Yes, I believe the image some rappers portray in their videos about women, money, and drugs isn't the life lesson you want to show your kids, but the appeal is the allure of this sort of lifestyle where there are constant parties, drugs, and beautiful women or men in some cases for females. The question is who really wouldn't want a lifestyle that is bathed in luxury?

I'm a rather large fan of mainstream rap from Lil Jon to 50 Cent to Paul Wall. They have all released songs that I can enjoy. Perhaps it is because I don't look to deep into the lyrics or try to absorb meaning from these songs.

For intelligent Hip Hop/Rap, who's the judge? I mean does this some specific criteria before a piece of music becomes intelligent? Is it the message it portrays? Is it the flow? The lyrics? I mean does it have to portray a positive message?

Can it not just appeal to a wide, diverse group of people? Shouldn't music just bring people to listen to it and enjoy it?
I agree that some poeple listen to what they want to. I love indie, underground hip hop and despise mainstream rap. At the same time I don't go criticizing people who listen to mainstream. All my friends listen to mainstream and I accept the fact that they enjoy it. The reason I hate mainstrem is that it has altered the reputation of rap. Hip hop is an art form. Some rap could be considered fine poetry written down. When I listen to hip hop I analyze the idea and purpose in the rhyme wheter its to express an opinion on a subjet or to express a completely abstract idea ( MF DOOM for example).

It just sickens me when Rap went from a form of music that had culture and meaning to a commercialized trend that has been warped by money and the entertainment industry that serves the purpose of getting people to buy certain shoes, spend all their money on useless jewlery and rims for their car. seen dudes that can put 22's on a car but can't afford insurance or at least a door that matches the car. I don't think mainstream rap is the worst thing in the world. I just wish the media would support the underground so people would have a better opnion of this wounderful music genre.

Mainstream is good to listen to sometimes. Every now and then I'll listen to a mike jones or T.I track. Don't concider them really talanted rappers but they have cool voices and nice beats.

Last edited by Shadow Raven 91; 2007-09-09 at 17:36.
Shadow Raven 91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-29, 01:11   Link #77
nonfiction
Buddha Empty-Eat

Send a message via MSN to nonfiction
Rap's pretty dope. My five favourite rap artists/albums:

Digable Planets / Reachin' (A New Refutation on Time and Space)
Del / Deltron 3030
Pete Rock & CL Smooth / Mecca & The Soul Brother
Diamond D / Stunts Blunts & Hip Hop
Edan / The Beauty and the Beat
nonfiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-30, 21:49   Link #78
Tommy
Mr. Prince

Listening to Lupe Fiasco- Da Exam (bootleg) right now and it's . I can't wait for the new album to come out now.
Tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-11, 23:29   Link #79
Neki Ecko
Dancing with the Sky

Send a message via Yahoo to Neki Ecko
September 11 is the day when Kanye West and 50 Cent are releasing both their CD's (Graduation and Curtis) and I have a chance to listen to K. West CD, it is very good with about 5 - 6 tracks that is very good (Champion, Stronger, Good Life, Homecoming, Big Brother and The Glory). I heard that 50 Cent only have about 2 good tracks from his right now
Old 2007-09-12, 00:36   Link #80
Leedizzle

Kindred, Bubba Sparxxx's Deliverance has to be way up there in my list of favorite songs.
Leedizzle is offline   Reply With Quote