Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-12-19, 08:53   Link #18461
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
Cunning. Almost all of their moves are based on planned programs, and to think in terms of a "civilized, Western" country will never help one understand why DPRK does what it does.
My mum used the term "吃饱没事做" (eat full nothing better to do) - I think I agree.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2011-12-19, 09:23   Link #18462
andyjay729
YOU EEDIOT!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth View Post
Because that title is still being held by his grandfather, I think?

(No clue, off the top of my head, I could very well be wrong.)
Kim Il-Sung is the "Eternal President"--and I think he's always referred to in the present tense. Maybe they'll give the "Dear Leader" title to the new guy, but we'll have to see.

Oh, and if by chance you're in Pyongyang in the next few days, watch for a flock of birds carrying off Jong-Il's body to heaven, then stopping when they hear all the people crying. That's supposedly what happened when his father died. :P
Old 2011-12-19, 10:12   Link #18463
killer3000ad

Madness.
Old 2011-12-19, 10:33   Link #18464
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer3000ad View Post
Madness.
Think K-Drama.

Old 2011-12-19, 10:48   Link #18465
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Cunning. Almost all of their moves are based on planned programs, and to think in terms of a "civilized, Western" country will never help one understand why DPRK does what it does.
the countries does know it is all calculated behavior but the media likes to throw these term out because it sells paper.

Last edited by Xellos-_^; 2011-12-19 at 11:32.
Old 2011-12-19, 11:30   Link #18466
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
I'm getting really tired of people throwing the crazy label without thought.
You're a witch, and must be burned.
Old 2011-12-19, 11:34   Link #18467
Washu-Chan
Powered by AMD Athrun 64

Speaking of Kim Jong-Il:

Old 2011-12-19, 11:48   Link #18468
Paranoid Android
Underweight Food Hoarder

Send a message via MSN to Paranoid Android
Anyone know a decent Chinese news source? (Preferably translated, I'm terrible at reading chinese)

I really want to know what the media there is saying about Kim Jong-il's death and future of NK. If NK is to change to a country that has better treatment of its people, China is the power that can.

The sources here in North America are biased and useless as per usual.

China always supported NK because want to ally themselves with anyone that opposes democracy and those that resist American/British control. They don't actually care for their allies at all. But that doesn't mean a non-democratic nation enemy to the US and UK have to be such a terrible country. It makes me sad that I don't see any government official of any nation being vocal of how right now is a very opportune time to help the North Koreans and pull the nation out of the gutter.
Old 2011-12-19, 12:03   Link #18469
justsomeguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
But that doesn't mean a non-democratic nation enemy to the US and UK have to be such a terrible country. It makes me sad that I don't see any government official of any nation being vocal of how right now is a very opportune time to help the North Koreans and pull the nation out of the gutter.
For a paranoid nation like NK, that would make it sound like an ideal time for an invasion. The North Korean people have been so brainwashed that they literally do not know how much better off most other countries are. If anybody is to help NK, it will have to be China, the only nation they have relatively good relations with. The other solution would be to back off and let the NK military and dictator's family sort it out before jumping the gun.

Currently playing: LoH Trails in the Sky SC
Old 2011-12-19, 13:22   Link #18470
Tom Bombadil

@Paranoid Android

I think this might interest you:

http://english.sina.com/world/2011/1219/424447.html

After that, you may find your way around the site. Well, you can always check out China Daily, which is considered an official news outlet. But keep in mind that they write for the Party, not for the reader. So...
Old 2011-12-19, 13:27   Link #18471
Paranoid Android
Underweight Food Hoarder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
After that, you may find your way around the site. Well, you can always check out China Daily, which is considered an official news outlet. But keep in mind that they write for the Party, not for the reader. So...
Yeah I know, but I'm particularly interested in what the Party thinks and wants to see, as they are the ones in charge and pull the strings.

Thanks for the link.
Old 2011-12-19, 13:33   Link #18472
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Something different today.

Car company Saab files for bankruptcy
Old 2011-12-19, 13:39   Link #18473
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Any and all reunification plans set up by ROK calls for administrating former DPRK as a separate entity, divorced from the runnings of ROK. Former DPRK will basically be a colony, where education in capitalism and democracy will be done as the country is built up using the capital generated from the cheap labor and the natural resources exported (DPRK has one of the finest gold mines, one of the largest uranium reserves, and also has what could be the one of the best source of rare earth).

Any comparison to the German reunification is based on non-updated information from more than two decades ago, and should be ignored, short of some genocide by the use of biological/chemical weapons on the KPA's part.
1. East Germany had its own natural resource and it still almost bankrupt West Germany

2. It will takes several yrs to bring those mines up to the proper safety protocol unless you think those mines should be open without proper safe guards.

3. Whether NK is administer as separate form SK or as one country it doesn't matter as the cost is still the same.

4. How do you plan to stop North Koreans form moving south? Are you going to shoot them? A line on a political map means nothing to desperate people and the people in North Korea is desperate.
Old 2011-12-19, 13:48   Link #18474
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer3000ad View Post

Madness.
Some of them seem legit, but I can't shake the feeling that a lot them are ... Faking it?
Old 2011-12-19, 13:57   Link #18475
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
Some of them seem legit, but I can't shake the feeling that a lot them are ... Faking it?
lots of onions.
Old 2011-12-19, 13:58   Link #18476
solomon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
Yeah I know, but I'm particularly interested in what the Party thinks and wants to see, as they are the ones in charge and pull the strings.

Thanks for the link.
You'd gotta be good at reading in between the lines then. I never saw those organs as being particulalry insightful.
Old 2011-12-19, 14:08   Link #18477
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
More like doing what they are expected to do
Old 2011-12-19, 14:18   Link #18478
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
1. East Germany had its own natural resource and it still almost bankrupt West Germany

2. It will takes several yrs to bring those mines up to the proper safety protocol unless you think those mines should be open without proper safe guards.

3. Whether NK is administer as separate form SK or as one country it doesn't matter as the cost is still the same.

4. How do you plan to stop North Koreans form moving south? Are you going to shoot them? A line on a political map means nothing to desperate people and the people in North Korea is desperate.
Did East Germany had much as resources as North Korea or resources valuable as North Korea? (not a rhetorical question)
As for the time it will take years, but will it be worth it? I think it will be, the potential is there. Korea overall will hard time early on, but with it I think Korea will be able to surpass Japan eventually.
We could always use North Koreans as a cheap labor (cheaper than China). I think cooperation with Russia will be vital, the natural resources in eastern Russia plus cheap labor of North Korea should be very profitable.

The cost will be tremendous and that reunification tax looks like a pretty damn good idea at this point. But I really wouldn't reunite the country right away. South will have to develop North and help with democratization process. And after North's economy and government becomes stable then they could reunify.
As for stopping people from crossing the border we already have fences to keep them out .
Old 2011-12-19, 14:23   Link #18479
Paranoid Android
Underweight Food Hoarder

Quote:
Originally Posted by solomon View Post
You'd gotta be good at reading in between the lines then. I never saw those organs as being particulalry insightful.
I don't expect anything particularly insightful, but I do want to know if the Chinese party plan to take any action in directly involving themselves with the political future of North Korea. By the tone of the comments/articles, it seems as if the Chinese party isn't going to do anything and simply expressing the generic remorse whenever some political figurehead dies.

Thus suggesting that they are unbothered by the life quality of the people in DPRK. Which is sad, but not surprising.

-------------
I choose to not watch those videos of people crying. Such wide-scale extreme emotional reaction is unnecessary for the death of a single person. Those tears are products of propaganda and law-enforced pressure.
Old 2011-12-19, 14:27   Link #18480
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrestrial Dream View Post
Did East Germany had much as resources as North Korea or resources valuable as North Korea? (not a rhetorical question)
As for the time it will take years, but will it be worth it? I think it will be, the potential is there. Korea overall will hard time early on, but with it I think Korea will be able to surpass Japan eventually.
i don't know if NK has more natural resources then Germany but if it does the annual output is still a drop in the bucket compare to the annual expenses and the Initial Expense is again huge.

Quote:
We could always use North Koreans as a cheap labor (cheaper than China).
There is cheap labor all over Asia. NK is cheaper then China overall but is it cheaper then Vietnam, Thailand, Cambodia or Laos? As far as China itaself, only the exterior part of China is getting expensive, the interior is still extremely cheap.

Quote:
As for stopping people from crossing the border we already have fences to keep them out .
the US has a southern fence to keep put Mexicans too. Guess what, it doesn't work.

I am not saying N/SK unification won't workout eventually but the initial cost is going to bankrupt SK. The SK government knows that, that is why they won't do anything to bring down the NK government. As long as NK exist, what happen in the north is not their problem.

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international