AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Durarara!!

Notices

View Poll Results: Durarara!! X2 Ketsu - Episode 12 Rating
Perfect 10 2 25.00%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 3 37.50%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 1 12.50%
7 out of 10 : Good 2 25.00%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2016-03-29, 11:44   Link #21
henshinagogobaby

Just because Shinra admits his actions are bad, it doesn't make them any less bad. I had no respect for his character throughout the series; I tried liking him, I really did, but he just came across to me as a weirdo who's love is really just an obsession. To me, it looked as if Celty acquired Stockholm Syndrome; she just came around to Shinra's way of thinking after a while and she's way too nice for her own good to stick up for herself or call out her loved one's actions, forgiving him too easily. (When this is lampshaded by Namie of all people, you know it's bad) He's not as sick as Seiji, (a nutjob if I ever saw one) but it's the reverse with Shinra: wants the body, could care less what happens to her head.

Plus it's a wasted opportunity. If Celty wasn't so stubborn and stayed of her own accord, she could've lived with the cast of characters and have her head finally speak for her, instead of always relying on that stupid phone. (If Anri can live with Saika inside her, Celty could live with her head by her side, maybe even use her shadow powers to keep it "attached".) Her facial expression as Shinra was sent to flying to where she was in the sky was hilarious. And even if she left, couldn't they have faith that she will eventually return to them? Shooter the horse didn't want to leave, it grew too attached to its surroundings. Or is there some mystical power at work here, compelling her to leave?

There were a bunch of people in Durarara that I wished had got their comeuppance sooner or was punished more harshly but I'll take what I can get; Takashi deserves everything coming to him. At least Aoba was threatened by the gangster to leave Mikado and his friends alone or he's going to end up regretting it. That psychopath Adabashi was stopped from killing poor Ruri by Kujiragi. And FINALLY, Izaya gets his ass kicked by Shizuo. Though I don't like that Seiji is still chasing after Celty's head and that Mika is encouraging this (the girl wants to eat Celty's head for crying out loud!) I also don't like that Namie and this mysterious group Nebula will continue to experiment on Celty's head, after all the pain and suffering of trying to get it back.

Here's hoping that the novels for Durarara SH gives them their just desserts. Here's also hoping for an anime adaptation of these novels too.

Anyone can die. It's living that requires courage.

You will not touch these innocent people with even one inch of your dirty blades, if you require an opponent, I will fight you. If you wanna taste the ground, feel free to attack me.
-Rurouni Kenshin
Old 2016-03-29, 12:01   Link #22
Nachtwandler
Yurifag

It's your personal tastes. I like Shinra and his relationships with Celty.
Old 2016-03-29, 12:55   Link #23
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by henshinagogobaby View Post
Just because Shinra admits his actions are bad, it doesn't make them any less bad. I had no respect for his character throughout the series; I tried liking him, I really did, but he just came across to me as a weirdo who's love is really just an obsession. To me, it looked as if Celty acquired Stockholm Syndrome; she just came around to Shinra's way of thinking after a while and she's way too nice for her own good to stick up for herself or call out her loved one's actions, forgiving him too easily. (When this is lampshaded by Namie of all people, you know it's bad) He's not as sick as Seiji, (a nutjob if I ever saw one) but it's the reverse with Shinra: wants the body, could care less what happens to her head.

Plus it's a wasted opportunity. If Celty wasn't so stubborn and stayed of her own accord, she could've lived with the cast of characters and have her head finally speak for her, instead of always relying on that stupid phone. (If Anri can live with Saika inside her, Celty could live with her head by her side, maybe even use her shadow powers to keep it "attached".) Her facial expression as Shinra was sent to flying to where she was in the sky was hilarious. And even if she left, couldn't they have faith that she will eventually return to them? Shooter the horse didn't want to leave, it grew too attached to its surroundings. Or is there some mystical power at work here, compelling her to leave?
Celty explained at some point (in a voiceover?) that she and her head were different personalities. So that's potentially three different "Celty"s. The body, the head, and the body + head. They're obviously not completely independent, but they're not the same. And Shinra's in love with the body, not the body + head.

Also, having Nebula keep the head during Shinra's lifetime was the plan, before Kujiragi derailed things.

Shinra's still a villain, but I don't think things are that bad for Celty.
Old 2016-03-29, 13:22   Link #24
henshinagogobaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nachtwandler View Post
It's your personal tastes. I like Shinra and his relationships with Celty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Celty explained at some point (in a voiceover?) that she and her head were different personalities. So that's potentially three different "Celty"s. The body, the head, and the body + head. They're obviously not completely independent, but they're not the same. And Shinra's in love with the body, not the body + head.

Also, having Nebula keep the head during Shinra's lifetime was the plan, before Kujiragi derailed things.

Shinra's still a villain, but I don't think things are that bad for Celty.
@Nachtwandler More power to you. Wasn't derailing anyone for liking Shinra and his thing with Celty. I personally just can't bring myself to like the character himself; comes across as an obsessed weirdo who can't let go.

@Anh_Minh The show wasn't too clear on her biology and how her consciousness works. Not once in the show did the head exhibit a will of its own (i.e.Talking, moving, sharing thoughts with others, etc) When both head and body are together, it's implied that her past memories are flowing into her and that she had to resume her "duty" to shepherd the dead to the afterlife. However, I don't think her head "overrode" the body; I think Celty just felt guilty over how much trouble her presence in the city affected others and tried to leave.

Shinra "forcing" her to stay by lopping off her head (which is weird in and of itself, what the hell did he slash, the "neck"? The black energy surrounding the head?) is a villainous action since he's not giving her the choice to decide what she wants. It's what he wants that's important in the end...and he knows this. What does he care what some shady organization is going to do with his lover's head, when he can stay with the body? You think Celty would be more concerned over this. It's no guarantee that she'll find her head again after Shinra dies or Nebula will let her reunite with her head after all of this is done.

You will not touch these innocent people with even one inch of your dirty blades, if you require an opponent, I will fight you. If you wanna taste the ground, feel free to attack me.
-Rurouni Kenshin
Old 2016-03-29, 13:27   Link #25
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by henshinagogobaby View Post
@Nachtwandler More power to you. Wasn't derailing anyone for liking Shinra and his thing with Celty. I personally just can't bring myself to like the character himself; comes across as an obsessed weirdo who can't let go.

@Anh_Minh The show wasn't too clear on her biology and how her consciousness works. Not once in the show did the head exhibit a will of its own (i.e.Talking, moving, sharing thoughts with others, etc) When both head and body are together, it's implied that her past memories are flowing into her and that she had to resume her "duty" to shepherd the dead to the afterlife. However, I don't think her head "overrode" the body; I think Celty just felt guilty over how much trouble her presence in the city affected others and tried to leave.

Shinra "forcing" her to stay by lopping off her head (which is weird in and of itself, what the hell did he slash, the "neck"? The black energy surrounding the head?) is a villainous action since he's not giving her the choice to decide what she wants. It's what he wants that's important in the end...and he knows this.
True. But even after he slashed her once, she could have caught her head again.

Quote:
What does he care what some shady organization is going to do with his lover's head, when he can stay with the body? You think Celty would be more concerned over this. It's no guarantee that she'll find her head again after Shinra dies or Nebula will let her reunite with her head after all of this is done.
Also true. But that's tomorrow's problem. She's made her own choice, there.
Old 2016-03-29, 14:57   Link #26
henshinagogobaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
True. But even after he slashed her once, she could have caught her head again.

Also true. But that's tomorrow's problem. She's made her own choice, there.
I think it was a spur of the moment kinda of thing, mixed with her connection to her head being severed. Celty could have caught her head but she had to save Shinra from going splat on the ground and making sure he was okay after recovering momentarily from the shock of losing her head...again.

Yeah she made her choice. Just wished she thought it through more, that's all.

-Rurouni Kenshin
Old 2016-03-31, 07:07   Link #27
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
Well it's good to know that people aren't going to bash my opinion.

But still... Celty could've said something about it...

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Old 2016-04-02, 15:12   Link #28
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Marathoned the series in 4 days, one cour per.

Let's start off with the good stuff: this started out as SoL with a touch of supernatural and ended up being full-scale gang wars and monster mash, so there has definitely been a lot of development (or at the very least changes) in Ikebukuro as a whole. The characters are easy to remember, either by their appearance or their actions and the plot is actually pretty interesting, when you take into consideration how small everything that happened truly was.

Anri takes the cake for most normal female character in the series (Tom takes the respective male one). By the time the third cour was over, I was 100% certain that every single character in DRRR!! was infected with some kind of madness. Let's take a look at this:

Spoiler for Character list & evaluation:

And now for the bad stuff...

First of all, pens in this series are bloody sharp! Seiji stabbed Shizuo and caused intense bleeding on his legs, Mikado actually pierced Aoba's entire palm with one. Are they made of vibranium?

As much as I enjoy Kuzuhara Kinnosuke as a character...he spends most of his time chasing a shadow monster because its shape-shifting ride has no license plates and lights. Comical? Most certainly. Crazy? Hell yeah. I don't remember if he ever asked for Celty's I.D.

The dragon zombie gang was entirely useless. They could have remained outside of the series with absolutely nothing changing. Same goes for Mikado's final rally that only managed to block the streets. Where did all those bikers go afterwards, what did they do? Who the hell cares? We should though, it was portrayed as a "big move".

The ever so useful chat room became obsolete when everyone learned of each other's alias. People even entered the chat room when they were side by side (Mairu & Kururi, also Masaomi & Saki...and Izaya & Izaya with his double account).

Ruri didn't get proper closure. I really didn't like how her plot was handled...in the end, was Kasane the source of her misery, since she was controlling the Yadogiris? Why, to what goal? Why did Kasane want to sell monsters sooo much, when she could make an infinite amount of cash via possession? Why did the last few episodes focus so much on her nonexistent love life? I liked her as a character, but her plot felt, like Ruri's, half-baked.

Despite all that, it was a good run and I suppose it's safe to assume there will be more of this sooner or later. Overall rating so far: 8.5/10
Old 2017-05-22, 09:12   Link #29
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Since I've finished this series, might as well.

With all the noodle anatomy going on, Ketsu wrapped up the entire series perfectly. There are a ton of callbacks, from the backgrounds of Izaya, Shinra and Shizuo, to the elaborate web of chaos created by the different Saika broods, to the relationships of each member of the cast. There was quite a large gap of time between when I last watched Episode 4 and when I watched the rest of Ketsu, so it was surprising how everything seemed to lock back in place.

I personally don't have any qualms about Mikado's self-destructive tendencies, as well as Shinra's decision to doubly take away Celty's freedom (one by separating her with her head, and two by turning her into a Saika recipient). After all, it all goes down to the overall plot of "man versus monster" and "the things people do for love".

Overall, Durarara was quite a rush. You don't get urban action series like this nowadays, and especially not something within Narita Ryogho's caliber. I personally will miss Celty and Shinra, as well as Akabayashi, my favorite character in the entire series. Sadly, we might not be able to see Durarara! SH animated, but I think the closure laid out by Ketsu is enough.

And thus, Durarara! x2 marks my milestone 300th anime entry on MAL.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Closed Thread