Kyuu
=^^=

No, I don't have the Chicagoan accent.
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-19, 17:20   Link #4802
Demongod86
Gundam Boobs and Boom FTW

Sigh...Manning, wtf u doin, bish?!

If he went to SF, they'd be the team to beat, perhaps the best we've seen since the 2007 Patriots. Moss, the whole defense, the ground game...mai gawd...

I suppose John Elway must have made a real impact on an impressionable Manning.
Old 2012-03-19, 17:24   Link #4803
Samari
World's Greatest

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
If I had to guess, he probably talked to Brett Favre about his feelings on switching conferences after playing with a single team for so long, and was advised not to do it. There really does seem to be a difference atmosphere between the conferences in terms of play style.
Brees should have never went to New Orleans. Terrible decision.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
永遠不要失去信心,你的命運。
Samari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-19, 19:33   Link #4804
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samari View Post
Go to New Orleans. Become a Super Bowl champion and Hall of Fame candidate. Yea, that's a mistake all right.

===

Oh, nvm. I see what you're getting at.

Yea. Manning going to Denver? That sounds like a mistake. Right now, it does. I had him favoring going to Arizona - who dealt with a veteran QB before in Kurt Warner. And that worked out great. Plus, with a "dome-like" stadium, Manning would've fit in Arizona like a glove.

As for San Fran.? On paper, he would have fit right in there too. A championship team that could use a QB to really take them over the hump. However, imagine Harbaugh's ego vs Manning's? This wouldn't have worked out.

Miami? Retarded.

Tennessee? Eh, I dunno. Maybe. Maybe not. Going to a divisional rival is a way to tell an old organization "up yours" (see Favre). But, that ain't the case here.

===

And Tebow? Oh boy. I'll save it for another post - when he gets traded.
Old 2012-03-19, 19:39   Link #4805
Dilla
'Sup Ballers

Tennessee was more of a "Return to the place where it all started" thing rather a FU Colts gesture.
Dilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-19, 20:04   Link #4806
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertaker View Post
I don't know, at least for next season, it'll just selling season tickets to me for Broncos consider there is really no one left on the offensive market and Broncos got almost no receiving corp.

Story is picking up now. According to WEEI Sport Station, Broncos is looking to move Tebow and apparently they don't expect him worth more then a mid or late draft pick and might even outright release him if they can't find a deal.
Heh, surprised to see WEEI mentioned here... I listen every day on my way to work, have been since I was 16.

Anyways if Tebow goes to the Pats I highly doubt he's going to be a sit-on-the-sidelines backup... Belichick is interested I would assume because of Tebow's versatility which BB loves. You could have him playing other positions under the Patriots system, but you better make sure to have Hoyer around as your reliable backup because having a backup QB in all these other roles is pretty risky injurywise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demongod86 View Post
Sigh...Manning, wtf u doin, bish?!

If he went to SF, they'd be the team to beat, perhaps the best we've seen since the 2007 Patriots. Moss, the whole defense, the ground game...mai gawd...

I suppose John Elway must have made a real impact on an impressionable Manning.
Yeah, I was really expecting a Super 49ers team when I heard of Moss and Manningham signings. They're still going to be a damn good team if they can replicate their defensive success and Moss actually gives them real production instead of dramatics.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-20, 08:11   Link #4807
GDB

Quote:
He didn't exactly have much success in the AFC, if I recall. He didn't fail, obviously, but he wasn't a star. He's definitely more suited to the NFC, or perhaps it's just that he's better suited to a dome and the conference has nothing to do with it. Peyton is a star in the AFC, just as Brett was a star in the NFC.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-20, 13:40   Link #4808
Dilla
'Sup Ballers

New Orleans may be going through troubles right now, but a MVP award and a Super Bowl ring says that Brees made a totally fine decision. They're going to work something out, probably sometime over the summer when negotiations can start again.
Quote:
He didn't exactly have much success in the AFC, if I recall. He didn't fail, obviously, but he wasn't a star. He's definitely more suited to the NFC, or perhaps it's just that he's better suited to a dome and the conference has nothing to do with it. Peyton is a star in the AFC, just as Brett was a star in the NFC.
And it's not like he was hot on the market, he had had that major shoulder injury during the Pro Bowl in his final year in San Diego and only had about a 25% shot of playing professionally again. The only teams that wanted him were New Orleans and Miami. Miami went with Dante Culpepper, so Brees went to New Orleans.

Broncos conference on ESPN 2 at 3pm if anyone is interested.
Old 2012-03-20, 14:09   Link #4809
Samari
World's Greatest

Quote:
Brees became one of the best quarterbacks in the league his last two seasons as a Charger, both winning seasons for the franchise. Regardless, changing conferences was a better decision for him, so the logic you conveyed earlier with the Brett Favre conversation was null. When Brees switched conferences he got better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilla View Post
And it's not like he was hot on the market, he had had that major shoulder injury during the Pro Bowl in his final year in San Diego and only had about a 25% shot of playing professionally again. The only teams that wanted him were New Orleans and Miami. Miami went with Dante Culpepper, so Brees went to New Orleans.
Only because of that injury. Doesn't change the fact that he was a successful quarterback for the Chargers.

永遠不要失去信心,你的命運。
Old 2012-03-20, 15:11   Link #4810
Kyuu
=^^=

If you happen to be a Charger fan - you have AJ Smith to blame.
Old 2012-03-20, 15:22   Link #4811
Dilla
'Sup Ballers

Phillip Rivers is not the problem with the Chargers. Brees played poorly until Rivers had already been drafted. Brees came on too late.
Old 2012-03-20, 18:18   Link #4812
Samari
World's Greatest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilla View Post
Phillip Rivers is not the problem with the Chargers. Brees played poorly until Rivers had already been drafted. Brees came on too late.
The Chargers still could have kept Brees. They even offered him a contract. Brees balked because it was incentive heavy to protect the Chargers in case Brees hurt himself.

永遠不要失去信心,你的命運。
Old 2012-03-20, 19:51   Link #4813
Samari
World's Greatest

Alex Smith signs his deal.

And a surprise. Demeco Ryans was traded to Philadelphia for a 4th and 6th round pick.

永遠不要失去信心,你的命運。
Old 2012-03-20, 21:06   Link #4814
Undertaker

And now the chips is on him to get 49ers to SB cause that is a hell of a team he got around him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainLegacy View Post
Heh, surprised to see WEEI mentioned here... I listen every day on my way to work, have been since I was 16.

Anyways if Tebow goes to the Pats I highly doubt he's going to be a sit-on-the-sidelines backup... Belichick is interested I would assume because of Tebow's versatility which BB loves. You could have him playing other positions under the Patriots system, but you better make sure to have Hoyer around as your reliable backup because having a backup QB in all these other roles is pretty risky injurywise.

Yeah, I was really expecting a Super 49ers team when I heard of Moss and Manningham signings. They're still going to be a damn good team if they can replicate their defensive success and Moss actually gives them real production instead of dramatics.

Yeah, I rather have Hoyer as back up as well. Though Tebow does sound interesting is he'll willing to switch position.

As for the 49ers, I don't expect their defense to drop off, or at least not a huge drop off. Their defense is young and not only were they opportunistic on turnovers, they have the yards against to back it up as well.

They really got screwed when their primary Kick/Punt returner Ginn got hurt before the Giants game and his backup ends up costing them. (as well as the late miss call)
Old 2012-03-20, 22:26   Link #4815
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
The Chargers still could have kept Brees. They even offered him a contract. Brees balked because it was incentive heavy to protect the Chargers in case Brees hurt himself.
Well. Factor out hindsight, by which we can look back and laugh at Chargers management.

At the time, Brees suffered a shoulder injury, where in the past, most QBs would be rendered useless. Especially with Rivers around, why keep Brees?

===

Consider now. How sure are you regarding Peyton Manning's injury? Manning could say that he could play, but we won't really know for sure until he's back out under game conditions.

Or, do you predict typical Manning caliber?
Old 2012-03-20, 22:38   Link #4816
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

Are Denver being overly optimistic they can get 5 years out of Manning?
Old 2012-03-20, 22:44   Link #4817
Samari
World's Greatest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post
Well. Factor out hindsight, by which we can look back and laugh at Chargers management.

At the time, Brees suffered a shoulder injury, where in the past, most QBs would be rendered useless. Especially with Rivers around, why keep Brees?

===

Consider now. How sure are you regarding Peyton Manning's injury? Manning could say that he could play, but we won't really know for sure until he's back out under game conditions.

Or, do you predict typical Manning caliber?
I'm not blaming the Chargers for doing what they did. I probably would have gone with Rivers too. My main point is that changing conferences as if it's a superstition has no effect on a player. Maybe changing cities, changing systems, going to a better or worse team. But whether those factors reside with an AFC or NFC team is coincidental.

永遠不要失去信心,你的命運。
Old 2012-03-20, 22:48   Link #4818
Dilla
'Sup Ballers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Sinner View Post
Are Denver being overly optimistic they can get 5 years out of Manning?
I would have definitely only gone for three (and that's not including Manning's neck) at most, but the deal is loaded with playing incentives that will be re-evaluated on a year-by-year basis.
Old 2012-03-21, 11:58   Link #4819
Dilla
'Sup Ballers

Tebow to the Jets for a 4th round pick.
Old 2012-03-21, 12:42   Link #4820
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Sean Payton Suspended for One Year

Payton isn't the only one being censured:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYT
The former Saints defensive coordinator Gregg Williams, who is now in the same role in St. Louis, was suspended indefinitely — but for no less than a year — for his role in the program. The league suspended Saints General Manager Mickey Loomis for the first eight games of the season. The Saints have been fined $500,000 and will lose their second-round draft picks in 2012 and 2013. The assistant head coach, Joe Vitt, was also suspended without pay for the first six regular-season games of the 2012 season. The league said discipline for the players involved in the bounties was still under review with the players union and would be addressed at a later date.
I'm not really sure what it means to suspend the GM for eight games. Does that mean he can't make deals for the first half of the season?

Sorry, wingy!
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
american football, sports