AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2014-10-11, 04:40   Link #41
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

It reminded a me a bit of Sakurasou, for the rich brilliant colours, and for the boy meets blonde genius girl formula. Of course, the two stories are different.

I found the same flaws mentioned by some others, some excessive bleeding in the window scene (that kind of blood is more adapt for a comedy like Mitsudomoe or Sabagebu than for a supposedly serious drama like this), and there was no need for Kaori to get so angry and abusive towards a psychologically frail protagonist. So, some edge needs to be smudged.

Other than that I found the whole pretty likable, it's unusual to find an osananajimi who has clear feelings since the start, but prefers to selflessly help the protagonist even if she kinda knows it would backfire against her. Nice colours and wonderful cast, Taneda Risa is definitely among my most favourites actress, and so are Hayami Saori, Sakura Ayane and the males.
I've seen this anime takes two slots in the NoitaminA schedule, so it should be 2 cours (= 22 episodes), which is another good news.

Looking forward to more of this series, and I'm glad that after Isshukan Friends in Spring and Ao Haru Ride in Summer, Autumn isn't devoid of a drama romance just how I like them.
Old 2014-10-11, 10:01   Link #42
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
This is a side-topic, but since this series is already giving out heavy Nodame Cantabile vibes, I find it humorous that coincidentally a Korean drama remake of Nodame Cantabile will be airing in 2 days time.
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-11, 10:10   Link #43
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I don't deny the Nodama thing is obvious, but it's actually Hourou Musuko this most reminds me of. Part of it is that the Art Director and Character Designer both worked on that show, but it's also the sense of the volatility and powerful (and dangerous) emotions of kids just hitting puberty.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-11, 14:12   Link #44
kuromitsu

*shields eyes* So... shiny...

No, really, so much shiny effects. It's nice in moderation but at some points it came off as trying too hard. It's not just the shininess, though, somehow it feels like NoitaminA is trying really, really hard with this show. But that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Otherwise, so far this is nothing particularly exciting. Boy with sad past and emotional baggage who needs to break out of his shell - check, his own Manic Pixie Dream Girl who exists to help him find meaning in his life - check (at least she's not as annoying as Nodame), supportive friends - check. We've seen this before, but so far it's a pleasant take on the story. I really do hope it's not going to get too melodramatic.
kuromitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-11, 14:36   Link #45
dniv
I’m sorry, Kamijou-san!!

Well, for everyone commenting on this... apparently Crunchyroll said that the manga for this won a prestigious award, so at least I, am expecting good things from this, and have high expectations. Now let's hope that this Noitamin show delivers on those expectations after a great season premiere as opposed to what happened last season with Zankyou no Terror... ( I also really liked what I've read of the manga (yesterday), so I'm excited for the content to be animated.)
dniv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-11, 15:10   Link #46
BBOvenGuy
Math Ninja
*Author

Full disclosure - My mom is a talented pianist and could have gone into music professionally but chose math instead. Even now that she's well into her 70s, she can play the piece Kousei was playing in the opening scene. And I'm the only one of her three children who didn't inherit her piano playing ability.

I loved Nodame Cantabile and also the movie Shindo, so I had to check this show out. It didn't really give me a Nodame vibe, though, because Kaori struck me as a Manic Pixie Dream Girl, which Nodame definitely is not. But I liked Tsubaki and I'm interested in seeing what music they use, so I'll stick around for at least another couple of episodes.
BBOvenGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-11, 15:34   Link #47
larethian

Ep 1 did its job. I love classical music and picked up the manga already.
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-11, 15:51   Link #48
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBOvenGuy View Post
...It didn't really give me a Nodame vibe, though, because Kaori struck me as a Manic Pixie Dream Girl, which Nodame definitely is not. But I liked Tsubaki and I'm interested in seeing what music they use, so I'll stick around for at least another couple of episodes.
I loved ep1, but one thing that gave me pause was that Kaori did not feel as strong and serious (and weird) to me as she did in the manga, which I've been enjoying for several months now. She feels more pixie-like in the anime, whereas she was a much larger creature altogether in the manga, at least for me.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-11, 19:35   Link #49
BBOvenGuy
Math Ninja
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
one thing that gave me pause was that Kaori did not feel as strong and serious (and weird) to me as she did in the manga, which I've been enjoying for several months now. She feels more pixie-like in the anime, whereas she was a much larger creature altogether in the manga, at least for me.
Well, if she's stronger in the manga, then maybe she'll grow over the course of the anime. I'd like to see that.
BBOvenGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-11, 21:04   Link #50
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

A very nice begining kind of all ready knows where its going but its going to be fun to watch
Old 2014-10-11, 22:48   Link #51
User68604
Disabled By Request

of the several shows that are airing this season, i found this one to be the most promising so far
User68604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-12, 02:15   Link #52
larethian

9 volumes get, v10 coming out next Fri
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-12, 08:21   Link #53
frodonk
Master of Killing Time

The first episode was almost perfect, the only flaw I could see was that everything was too bright, (as was pointed out) apart from that, it's one of the strongest first episodes this season.

even the accidental pantyshot was also a welcome development (lol), even if it can be considered as cliche, considering that at least 2-3 shows this season had accidental breast groping in the first episode, at least 2 with full frontal nudity, and we also got a full rear view with amaburi.
frodonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-12, 13:05   Link #54
viperdk1
The Colour of Magic

Think I've seen this referred to as a sleeper hit. It's potentially a hit for me, for sure - the music involved is absolutely delightful to listen to (and even then, the meaning behind the opening and ending songs fits so well with this anime), and the visuals are gorgeous.

The story itself is not necessarily off the beaten track in terms of uniqueness but the way it appears to be being told is, in my opinion, going to make it one of my favourites for a very long time. Two things (a third if you include the lyrics of the goose house opening track, Hikaru Nara) stuck out for me:

1. Following the opening, we see Kousei playing the piano as a child - whereupon his eyes, unlike all the people watching, are darkened, almost glazed over. Sure, he was a brilliant pianist, but even from that early point you can easily see that it wasn't something he enjoyed - it was essentially a 'job'.

2. This quote from Tsubaki (exact translations may vary depending on the subbing group): "The world looks more colorful when you're in love". It's such a cutesy quote but something I have a feeling many people could plausibly attest to.

All in all, a very promising start, and something I am intensely looking forward to watching over the next three months.
viperdk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-12, 19:36   Link #55
ginger02

Characters and plot didn't really grab me, but the music and art did, so I'll be sticking around for that much at least.
ginger02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-14, 16:34   Link #56
Arya

What a gorgeous first episode. It fled practically flawlessly from start to end. Letting aside the already mentioned unnecessary excessive abusiveness of the girls I have no complains.
About the violinist girl so far I'm confident that she is a deeper character than her first introduction made her look like. Also, since this is the first and introductory episode they will tone down some aspects that have been emphasized.
I'm also not so sure that the romance will be so strong here to put the music theme in the background. The music has to have the main role here, since it would be though it that the MC will come back to life. Or that's what I'm expecting. But yes, the set up is a bit a of double-edged sword depends on how they will play it out. At first glance it looks like a love rectangle. And it will be. But personally the Osananajimi characterization was the one that surprised me the most, since usually is the character I like the least, but here she has been portrayed in a very pleasant way so far. So maybe they will pull out something different here, but yeah, it's very unlikely.

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.
Arya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-16, 12:10   Link #57
LoveYouSaber

Like others here, I was pleasantly surprised by the first episode. And once the episode went into the OP part, I knew this show is going to be great. Hope my expectations won't turn out to be wide off the mark!
LoveYouSaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-16, 15:02   Link #58
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Second episode even better. So far, this show and Shirobako are the tops for me this season. They did that first concert perfectly, and all the emotions worked, right up to the end. ("Ehh?")

Excellent work from Hanae Natsuki in the emotional center, and Taneda Risa (Kaori) is right there with him. And Sakura Ayane (Tsubaki) does her role with sharpness and subtlety. I couldn't help thinking of the recording scene in this week's Shirobako. I pictured the director and/or sound director teasing subtleties out of all the voices, and the staff arguing about just what subtleties to inject.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-16, 16:06   Link #59
DOmus
天国無事故
*Artist

Again, loved the chapter, a chill went down my spine in the piano play o kari, the animation and the bg was flawless again(imo), a bit sad that he got nominated from "friend A" to "substitute", love sure is not on his side.
The adaptation comparing it to the manga is really good, not major things were skipped, hope it keeps like this till the end.
Old 2014-10-16, 16:29   Link #60
Dop
Mmmm....

The concert scene was wonderful. I figured for the first three they'd been saving up the animation for the main attraction, and oh wow was that ever fantastic. I'm weak against violins and that was some really well animated playing and I felt like cheering at the end too.
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adolescent, bittersweet, contemplation on life, drama, music, romance, tragedy