AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2014-07-19, 17:56   Link #81
juve

Today's episode was awesome. THe whole drawing of manga and how she became a fujioshi was hilarious. Also, that shonen comics are about bromance while the heroine fades into obscurity after a chapter.
juve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-19, 21:51   Link #82
GDiddy
Sisterhood of the Desu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stark700 View Post
And this immediately captured my attention in the first minute of the episode:

NARU JOSTAR

Ok, this is officially my favorite series this summer.
Spoiler:

I'm surprised none of the obasans on this show have tried to hook Handa up to a single granddaughter yet
Old 2014-07-19, 22:56   Link #83
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Quote:
Originally Posted by GDiddy View Post
I'm surprised none of the obasans on this show have tried to hook Handa up to a single granddaughter yet
I think it's because there simply aren't any, and it's not the focus of the series anyway.
Old 2014-07-20, 01:12   Link #84
Dawnstorm

First half of the show is the aspect I don't much like. Second half of the show is just my thing. But the aftercredits scene with Naru and the Crayfish is outstanding.
Dawnstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-20, 03:26   Link #85
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Ep 3

Not quite sure what to think of this...I recognize much of the material that is being adapted here, and that's all good and fine, I guess. But there is something else going on here that is hard to describe. Last week there were bits and pieces of it and I did not pay it much attention simply because I know that Barakamon dies indeed contain bits and pieces of such content and I could see how it could be presented that way.

But with ep 3 I saw another episode with the same emphasis and I found myself scratching my head and wondering if I misremembered the way I processed the content in the manga source. The content is there, but it feels like the change in the overall tone is different from the overall tone I took away from the manga.

It reminds me a bit of the experience of reading Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice and then watching the four or five adaptations thereof that have come out of America and Britain. Most of them had all the basic skeleton of the story (some more, some less), but for me only one adaptation came close to being able to organically harmonize with the melody I had initially taken away that summarized the series after furst completing it. The others, to varying degrees, felt "off". And this was not because they were technically done poorly, either! (Though some could be argued to reflect that.) There was just something "off".

Back to Barakamon. The adaptation is a good one. It is effective and is engaging. But at the moment (3 eps in) there overall effect of the various elements they have adapted from the source material feels...well...imbalanced, I guess, and a little "off".

The interesting thing is that even with my reactions as such I still see it is very good and is conveying things true to the source material and that viewers are picking up and being moved by (some even deeply moved to literal tears) - but at the same time it still feels..."off"...just a bit. To me at least.

But at the same time part of me feels it would be churlish to complain overmuch about it for all the good qualities it is succeeding at! ^^

I guess part of me wonders if it is not...well...respecting the viewers intelligence a teensy bit? That somewhere on some level it feels the greatness that the story and manga source is is somehow "too much" for mainstream viewers on a tiny level and therefore felt the adaptation had to emphasize certain things for maximum possible "success"? Maybe so. And truth be told I guess a fairer evaluation could only be made after all is said and done.

I will be sticking with the series without a doubt, nevertheless, and will continue to place hope in the obvious talent behind the scenes here.

Hmm...I wonder if I am just reflecting a little source snobbery on my part?
Old 2014-07-20, 03:46   Link #86
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Flower, my reaction is so similar that it's almost eerie. For me, it's as if someone gave a 60-minute speech and someone (let's say Fox News) excepted 60 seconds of it from various points in the speech and presented it without context. Nothing was invented or changed - all of what was said was actually said - but the meaning taken away from it can be totally different.

This is indeed a very good show, but it's striking to me how different the overall impression is than that of the manga. For me it's a question more of what's not being included than what is - what the adaptation has skipped over and what they've included so far leaves an impression that the focus of the series is very different than what it actually is. I think the reasons for this pass the Occam's Razor test, but as entertaining as these episodes are I can't help but feel some regret for what's being left behind.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-20, 06:26   Link #87
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

A bit of a weaker episode this week. I thought the parts about the fujoshi girl were pretty meh. The rest was highly enjoyable, however, so it's all good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDiddy View Post
NARU JOSTAR
That's Golgo. There's no mistaking those brows.
Old 2014-07-20, 07:10   Link #88
hai_san

Naru was again the best in this ep, the manga artist was a bit over the top for my taste, but well nevermind.
hai_san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-20, 17:22   Link #89
Mubyoshi

Lol, Naru was so cute at the beginning. Ahahahaha.
Mubyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-20, 17:41   Link #90
PreSage
Strangely dependable...

Another great episode. Naru was awesome at the beginning and the manga girl with her fujoshi was hilarious too.

Looks like we have the cliche of childhood friend being shoved over by a new love interest...Kenta > Naru > Sensei....of course, this is all in good fun but it is still funny.

I so love the ending clips to each episode...absolutely hilarious and very enjoyable!

[/TH][/TR][/table]
PreSage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-21, 10:47   Link #91
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

I love that she gave Handa FMA and Soul Eater to read
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
White Manju Bun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-21, 11:59   Link #92
cleo

Another enjoyable ep. Naru in Golgo-form was great, and the girl being horrified over being a fujoshi was ok as well. In fact, both teenage girls were a lot more bearable than they were last ep. But I prefer the scenes where the focus is on Handa and his learning-process. He still has a long way to go, as he's still trying to be no.1/looking up.
cleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-21, 16:34   Link #93
cyth
Banned

Problem is, kids stole the show.
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-21, 16:41   Link #94
Grifis
Eternal Dreamer

And I thought the new girl may be possible romantic candidate but they have to do this fujoshi random drama coming out of nowhere. The rest of the ep is okay. (I was hoping for another Silver Spoon but so far I'm not impressed.)
Grifis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-21, 17:14   Link #95
MCAL

A step down from the first two episodes, but still with some (really) good moments. C-Part felt a little too rushed.

The old ladies were a hoot though.
MCAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-21, 18:19   Link #96
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grifis View Post
And I thought the new girl may be possible romantic candidate but they have to do this fujoshi random drama coming out of nowhere. The rest of the ep is okay. (I was hoping for another Silver Spoon but so far I'm not impressed.)
You do know that she's a middle-schooler and Handa is in his 20s?
Old 2014-07-21, 18:45   Link #97
Itlandm
Porcupine

The second episode was hilarious. I appreciate that. But it was also more like a 4koma and less like a story compared to the first.

The third was a bit of both, I guess? I wonder if Fujoshi Girl is going to become a running gag. I suspected her already, so. But hopefully she'll have a bit more character depth than just that, since she is now a recurring character.

Overall, it is still one of my favorites of the season. And fairly family-friendly too. Well, except in Tamako's head.
Itlandm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-21, 18:54   Link #98
Dop
Mmmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
You do know that she's a middle-schooler and Handa is in his 20s?
And that's why none of the grannies have tried to fix up Handa yet - all the girls closest to his age are still are Too Young By Far.

My two penno'rth on the adaptation. Manga is Manga and Anime is Anime, and really so long as the anime stands as a product in its own right (which I think it does), then that's OK by me. The people making the anime may have cherry-picked bits here and there from the manga, but that doesn't matter to me. I never get the feeling that I'm missing anything, and I'm totally entertained, so for me this show works superbly.

Apparently the manga is getting an English language release at some point, so I shall probably buy that off the back of the anime. Quite often the anime is there to promote the manga, and in that it's probably doing well.
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-21, 22:20   Link #99
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

And by contrast, I'm painfully aware of what I'm missing. It feels to me as if the tone of the series has been totally altered. Perception is a funny thing.
Old 2014-07-21, 22:50   Link #100
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Actually, from one angle Dop's reaction is exactly what I hoped this anime would do for those previously unfamiliar with the manga source, and on the whole I think that is a very good thing and something very worthwhile.

That being said in this case that odd shift in tonality Enzo spoke of is something I very, very much understand (we have spoken about it to one another a decent amount) - and part of what makes it so odd is that we know it is still a very good adaptation and that it does seem to be effectively adapating the material to push the manga source.

Even so, there is a feeling that a parts of the overall sum of the manga's effect and message have not come across thus far - and that these parts were apparently ones we felt most important and/or the ones that struck us the deepest.

Of further interest or me, btw, is that in terms of numbers I have only heard the feeling I have had towards the adaptation articulated by Enzo alone across the various anime discussion sites I visit. (And we are rather different people with different tastes to be sure.) Overwhelmingly most people have had immensely positive reactions like Dop's or other other posters have expressed.

Still makes watching the anime a curious experience.

Tags
slice of life