AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2017-10-15, 15:40   Link #301
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Eromanga-sensei. Thoughts

Over three months ago I finished Eromanga-sensei, and I came back to revive this thread for the ocassion on shedding my personal thoughts for this show.

What can I say? Back at the start of the spring season, I picked-up Eromanga-sensei due to having some expectations with the anime while never read the light novel source material before.

Let's be honest here. The plot and narrative only worked for me whenever Masamune interacted with his fellow, rival authors mainly Elf Yamada and Muramasa.

I don't know which to pair with Masamune:
1. Elf Yamada. She sports this enthusiastic personality that easily rubs on the viewer, and her chemistry with Masamune flows so spontaneously and natural when being together on screen that would be hard for me to cope if Masamune rejects her when she someday truly decides to confess to him.

2. Muramasa. Being a tsundere dressing in traditional attire, she's a win for me wanting to get paired to Masamune. Her personality is nuanced which makes her all the more interesting at geniunely care for Masamune.

The other female characters to me ranged from lukewarm to downright uncomfortable.

Megumi Jinno, put me off with her casual and nonchalant way at referencing adult situations or adult terminology in her conversations with Masamune, and should not be a surprise to me given that she's in middle school undergoing puberty, but the manner how the anime presents her as this seemingly innocent and pure girl makes me to react so more off-putting for the reasons mentioned above.

Tomoe Takasago, my thoughts on her are neutral or lukewarm since she isn't interesting enough to warrant my attention.

Sagiri, Masamune's sister (or stepsister) and the eponymous Eromanga Sensei. Whether be Masamune fantasizing about her or her holding her feelings to her onii-chan (Masamune), at the best scenario, turned sour to me, and, at the worst scenario, both creeped me out and made me feel utterly uncomfortable.
It doesn't help much either that throughout the years that the two of them got to live under the same roof Masamune constantly spoiled her by doing nothing at all to fix her hikikomori lifestyle and caving in to her whims every time that she pouted, started a racket, opened the door, or behaved cute to win her onii-chan's attention.
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-16, 07:50   Link #302
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guido View Post
Over three months ago I finished Eromanga-sensei, and I came back to revive this thread for the ocassion on shedding my personal thoughts for this show.

What can I say? Back at the start of the spring season, I picked-up Eromanga-sensei due to having some expectations with the anime while never read the light novel source material before.

Let's be honest here. The plot and narrative only worked for me whenever Masamune interacted with his fellow, rival authors mainly Elf Yamada and Muramasa.

I don't know which to pair with Masamune:
1. Elf Yamada. She sports this enthusiastic personality that easily rubs on the viewer, and her chemistry with Masamune flows so spontaneously and natural when being together on screen that would be hard for me to cope if Masamune rejects her when she someday truly decides to confess to him.

2. Muramasa. Being a tsundere dressing in traditional attire, she's a win for me wanting to get paired to Masamune. Her personality is nuanced which makes her all the more interesting at geniunely care for Masamune.

The other female characters to me ranged from lukewarm to downright uncomfortable.

Megumi Jinno, put me off with her casual and nonchalant way at referencing adult situations or adult terminology in her conversations with Masamune, and should not be a surprise to me given that she's in middle school undergoing puberty, but the manner how the anime presents her as this seemingly innocent and pure girl makes me to react so more off-putting for the reasons mentioned above.

Tomoe Takasago, my thoughts on her are neutral or lukewarm since she isn't interesting enough to warrant my attention.

Sagiri, Masamune's sister (or stepsister) and the eponymous Eromanga Sensei. Whether be Masamune fantasizing about her or her holding her feelings to her onii-chan (Masamune), at the best scenario, turned sour to me, and, at the worst scenario, both creeped me out and made me feel utterly uncomfortable.
It doesn't help much either that throughout the years that the two of them got to live under the same roof Masamune constantly spoiled her by doing nothing at all to fix her hikikomori lifestyle and caving in to her whims every time that she pouted, started a racket, opened the door, or behaved cute to win her onii-chan's attention.
What are you talking about "years living under the same roof"? He met her one year ago and very shortly afterward their parents died and she shut herself away in her room. And bear that in mind, her shutting herself in coincided with their parents' death. We're dealing with a severely traumatized girl who already had severe social anxiety and then gave in to it when her parents died. Did you not see how shaken she was just standing on the staircase yelling that she wouldn't let the other girls have Masamune? She was absolutely terrified to simply be seen for a minute by others. It was an incredibly huge thing for her to simply open that door, and then to let him into her room. It only looks like spoiling her and doing nothing when you ignore both the severity of the condition and the situation leading to it, or stretch the time spent into "years".
BWTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-16, 08:18   Link #303
Liddo-kun
is this so?

Sagiri keychain that I got from a recent anime convention.

Liddo-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-17, 02:35   Link #304
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWTraveller View Post
What are you talking about "years living under the same roof"? He met her one year ago and very shortly afterward their parents died and she shut herself away in her room. And bear that in mind, her shutting herself in coincided with their parents' death. We're dealing with a severely traumatized girl who already had severe social anxiety and then gave in to it when her parents died. Did you not see how shaken she was just standing on the staircase yelling that she wouldn't let the other girls have Masamune? She was absolutely terrified to simply be seen for a minute by others. It was an incredibly huge thing for her to simply open that door, and then to let him into her room. It only looks like spoiling her and doing nothing when you ignore both the severity of the condition and the situation leading to it, or stretch the time spent into "years".
Excuse me, I forgot all about that after finishing this show three months ago, pardon my memory loss; I'm not being sarcastic or anything with my tone, BTW.

Besides, I do not want to start an argument over a show that I've almost forgotten and could not care very much over the female protagonist with social anxiety and trauma or not. In my post I fundamentally emphasized that Masamune's perceived siscon or whatever for Sagiri made me felt uncomfortable, and the show worked for me only when he was interacting with either Elf Yamada or Muramasa or both.

Lastly, never read the light novel, and I'm not intending to in any foreseeable future.
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-17, 10:28   Link #305
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guido View Post
Excuse me, I forgot all about that after finishing this show three months ago, pardon my memory loss; I'm not being sarcastic or anything with my tone, BTW.

Besides, I do not want to start an argument over a show that I've almost forgotten and could not care very much over the female protagonist with social anxiety and trauma or not. In my post I fundamentally emphasized that Masamune's perceived siscon or whatever for Sagiri made me felt uncomfortable, and the show worked for me only when he was interacting with either Elf Yamada or Muramasa or both.

Lastly, never read the light novel, and I'm not intending to in any foreseeable future.
Sorry. It just felt that your description implied judgments based on misunderstandings. In any case, I guess it's a matter of perspective. You view his affection as a "sister complex" while I view it as "love for a girl who became his 'sister'". A siscon by my perspective has a strong attachment to that relation itself or views this relationship as a valuable aspect of his relationship that he doesn't want to get rid of, or someone who's developed a powerful sibling relationship and falls in love after a long period in which he recognized her as this. Masamune doesn't qualify for this definition. He fell in love with her the moment he met her. Her status as "sister" is something brand new, and something that is in a sense a point of conflict: he wants her to be family because she's all he has left, but still he finds the concept of siblings to be an issue with his strongest emotions, as he demonstrates in his confession. He tells her he's in love with her, then says that still he wants to become her "big brother" because he knows she's in love with someone "else". A brother and a lover are apparently two distinct things to him that have little room for overlap.

Sagiri's the same way really. She's established at the end to have fallen for Masamune the web writer back when he was still himself in grade school, and gradually grown from a minor crush back then to a much stronger bond by the time she became his illustrator. It was never about family to her and she rejected the idea of "family" a few times in the series, including when he declared his intent to abandon the idea of romance in favor of a simple sibling relationship.

Ultimately neither one of them fell in love with their sibling. They fell in love with someone who was thrust into a sibling relationship with them, and they struggle with the conflict between the relationship that was thrust on them and remains the only thing tying them together and the relationship they truly want.

Of course, this is just a matter of perspective, but this perspective changes the dynamics and the appearance of the relationships significantly. And to me, it transforms a twisted and perverse relationship into a confusing, conflicted one full of uncertainty and fear as well as commitment, which I find interesting.
BWTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-07, 12:41   Link #306
AP24

It's funny that Sagiri has a brother named Masamune and her illustrations in the anime are drawn by the author of Masamune-kun no Revenge.
AP24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-11-30, 08:48   Link #307
PGilis
B-Gamer and anime otaku

Send a message via Yahoo to PGilis
Bringing back this old forum to just say...

YEAH!!! BEST GIRL YAMADA ELF WILL HAVE HER OWN OVA!!

https://dai.ly/x6xzt4y

https://dai.ly/x6xzt6c
PGilis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-12-01, 22:01   Link #308
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
At first I thought “this looks like a musical.”

Then it said it is a musical.
Old 2019-01-22, 18:54   Link #309
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Kind of decided to watch this just because I see references to it everywhere.

The gimmick was interesting at first, but they pushed it too far. Muramasa and Yamada were the stars of the show, while the main heroine is a walking disaster. I'm amazed someone can even stay alive while living in the same room for so long.

Was expecting some more given how recognized the show is, but seems it's just the "look how terrible and spoiled my sister is" trope. I don't really mind the trope, but it kind of works better when it's more of a full blown comedy if you're just going to do circular plot.

Main pro of the show: the gimmick and premise
Main con of the show: nobody gets any significant character development
Old 2019-01-22, 22:35   Link #310
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
Kind of decided to watch this just because I see references to it everywhere.

The gimmick was interesting at first, but they pushed it too far. Muramasa and Yamada were the stars of the show, while the main heroine is a walking disaster. I'm amazed someone can even stay alive while living in the same room for so long.

Was expecting some more given how recognized the show is, but seems it's just the "look how terrible and spoiled my sister is" trope. I don't really mind the trope, but it kind of works better when it's more of a full blown comedy if you're just going to do circular plot.

Main pro of the show: the gimmick and premise
Main con of the show: nobody gets any significant character development
I believe Sagiri got most character development... walking down the stairs is a great improvement

the good thing for me is that there are no hate-able character.. all of them are good
~Yami~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-01-23, 19:28   Link #311
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Yami~ View Post
the good thing for me is that there are no hate-able character.. all of them are good
Hm. Maybe. One thing I've realized some time ago is that, sometimes it's not about something being good or bad, sometimes it's a case that "There's not much to like, Nor much to hate"

Okey let me explain. Recently I also rewatched Toradora. I've been mulling it in my head why, even though they're kind of similar (not exactly similar, but lots of parallels in the formula--it's scary how many parallels there are ), one is clearly so much better then the other.

I'm kind of interesting on what's the essence of something that pushes over the edge.

My off-hand observations,
  1. colorful characters help a lot this kind of formula; the querkier and more unique the better. Hence why Eromanga-sensei and Elf kind of stand out. The other characters do have some quirks but they don't really stand out, the quirks come off as very flat.
  2. localization is also something I noticed to be very similar and also very important; the more the same locations are used the more home-y they feel which is great for the small-cast dynamic, makes it very focused as opposed to grabbing your attention. That said it's important the same locations don't look same-y themselves. You can do a scene how many times you want but make it slightly different every time even if its same characters and same place. It's much better that way. They try to do that, in particular with the food to the door thing but, kind of fail, was very same-y to me.
  3. other characters should have interesting dynamics with each other; if it's just the same character getting the spotlight constantly it gets really boring. Also it somehow feels wrong when you have "special" wierdos but they don't act wierd to each other except in the presence of this one main wierdo. Doesn't it?
  4. there needs to be lots of twists. This show had them sure, but they all were a bit too cliche and also copied each other (X actually loves Y, and Z also secret loves Y, etc). Not as fun as everyone having their own little dirty secret unrelated to each other.
  5. it helps to have actual conflict of interest. The little novel war was interesting until it got diffuzed practically interesting. Way to go ruin it.
Old 2019-01-23, 20:01   Link #312
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

ToraDora stays as my all-time favorite romcom anime...

I haven't found any romcom anime that could match them

yeah... Eromanga sensei put several complex plots together so sometimes it feels like watching several different anime in one series
~Yami~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-01-23, 20:07   Link #313
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Yami~ View Post
yeah... Eromanga sensei put several complex plots together so sometimes it feels like watching several different anime in one series
Torodora also does that, IMO. Like I said above, it's one of the good things to do when executing this formula.

But there's at least some tie-in between the plots, and it's a lot more then just "the same characters are involved"
By that I mean things like consequences to the other plots.

Tags
novelist, siblings