AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2017-10-22, 21:32   Link #61
IceHism

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrowSmith View Post
Why do people insist that the gems have no gender? Obviously they look and talk female.
They don't talk female. they use masculine words in their speech patterns. Boku, ore, etc
IceHism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-22, 21:44   Link #62
ramlaen

Quote:
Why do people insist that the gems have no gender? Obviously they look and talk female.
Because they are literally rocks with cute butts and gender plays no role in the story.

The question you should be asking is why people insist on making it an issue.
ramlaen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-22, 21:50   Link #63
ArrowSmith

Only because some people insisted they were genderless to begin with.
ArrowSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-22, 22:14   Link #64
Alhazred

Quote:
Well, it's technically true from a story-internal standpoint; in terms of societal divisions they have "Sensei" and "everyone else," and "everyone else" is further subdivided into roles assigned by Kongou strictly on the basis of ability. That's it; they probably don't even have words for male, female, masculine or feminine because those words aren't useful to them.

However, by the same token it doesn't much matter whether we see them as genderless or implicitly gendered based on behavior and presentation, because as far as we know the distinction is never going to be important to the story.

The source handles this ambiguity more by giving "mixed signals" rather than "no signals." In comparison to modern Japanese society, the gems talk more like young boys, follow hair and dress norms somewhere between young boys and young girls, and exhibit body language that has more in common with young girls. What conclusions can we draw from this? Probably just that the author likes to tease us; the copious ass shots aren't all anime original.

Last edited by Alhazred; 2017-10-23 at 00:33.
Alhazred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-23, 08:01   Link #65
zeando
maybenotimome

Quote:
Quote:
There are two sources for the "gems have no-sex" statement:
1) the summary of the show on some sites (copied from the summary of the manga)
2) people who have read the manga and have seen how they are born
There is also the catch of "immortals don't need to reproduce", but it may not be a common thought.

It isn't even relevant to the story, a minor detail at best, it goes to complete the status of the gems as immortals, but it's what most of the initial discussion goes around. That and the 3dcg for this adaptation.

Last edited by zeando; 2017-10-23 at 09:47.
zeando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-23, 20:14   Link #66
Kismet-chan
The Chaotic Dreamer

I'm struggling to understand the sheer concern over the 'issue'. Does how they're referred to really matter THAT much to some of you? I don't know what it's like to be so utterly pedantic over something so negligible.
Old 2017-10-23, 20:26   Link #67
ArrowSmith

It's all the ass shots.
ArrowSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-28, 15:01   Link #68
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
Spoiler for ep 4:

frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-28, 18:06   Link #69
Mistyclear

“Sorry cinnabar, guess it’s over. oh what a hunk!” I think I died laughing
Mistyclear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-28, 18:20   Link #70
Alhazred

Hmm... some of the localization choices here were disappointing. The conversation about Ventricosus's "truer true form" might have been more amusing if they'd translated gehin as "vulgar" rather than "unbecoming," since that seems a little too polite for Phos, and they didn't even touch the part where Phos actually called her water jugs* "scary."

Spoiler for *:
Old 2017-10-29, 08:29   Link #71
videoman190

Next time
Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
videoman190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-29, 08:32   Link #72
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Damn, I didn't see that betrayal coming. Really brutal.

Lots of great world building this episode too. I'd love to see more of the other two worlds and the kind of societies they've become.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-29, 19:43   Link #73
Alhazred

Strange thought: While i've seen it asked why the gems wear clothes at all, i sort of want to know why Red Beryl makes clothes with tags. Is it just because, somewhere deep in the annals of history, Red Beryl's predecessor just unquestioningly copied the design of manufactured clothing made by humans? That's an odd, mostly nonfunctional, non-terribly-decorative thing to get hung up on for thousands of years and who knows how many generations of tailors (though i guess the same might be said about the ties.)
Old 2017-10-29, 21:36   Link #74
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
You know, I really should have seen that betrayal coming. Guess the underwater race also inherited some of humanities less positive traits. Of course wanting to save a loved one makes sense, but betraying Phos like that was pretty low. Not to mention long term it's just a stupid decision. What are the odds they are actually going to hand over her brother? If they have use for the lunarians then clearly they'll just take Phos and reacquire Ventricosus.

Regardless this was a pretty useful episode for getting the world situation. So humanity really went down an odd path. I'd love to figure out how we managed to go down a split evolutionary path to becoming fish people, moon aliens, and living stone people.
Old 2017-10-29, 22:51   Link #75
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
You know, I really should have seen that betrayal coming. Guess the underwater race also inherited some of humanities less positive traits. Of course wanting to save a loved one makes sense, but betraying Phos like that was pretty low. Not to mention long term it's just a stupid decision. What are the odds they are actually going to hand over her brother? If they have use for the lunarians then clearly they'll just take Phos and reacquire Ventricosus.
By that, you are assuming the Lunarians are sinister fiends who have no remorse and act like pure savages. The only thing we really know is that they hunt the... er... whatever the gems are called =0v. The fact that a deal was struck with Ventri means they may not be the silent emotionless robots that destroy the gems on autopilot as it has been depicted thus far, and that they have some level of communication. Anything is possible; they could just be lying savages as you say, but it could be they are true to their word, with a more global purpose in mind. They could also have a legitimate reason for what they are doing or any number of scenarios(evil, two opposing factions, etc) going on up on that moon.

Not that I'd be surprise if they were going to betray Ventri right off, but I'm not discounting that things may be more complex with them than they appear.

frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-31, 11:25   Link #76
Cloudedmind

Send a message via MSN to Cloudedmind
Ventricosus was the star of this episode. From her "slug" antics to her truer true form, she was hilarious and cute.
Old 2017-10-31, 16:04   Link #77
darkchibi07

Send a message via AIM to darkchibi07 Send a message via MSN to darkchibi07
Here's a very fascinating interview of the director translated by the peeps at Sakugabooru:

https://blog.sakugabooru.com/2017/10...oku-interview/
Old 2017-10-31, 20:21   Link #78
Alhazred

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkchibi07 View Post
Here's a very fascinating interview of the director translated by the peeps at Sakugabooru:

https://blog.sakugabooru.com/2017/10...oku-interview/
As a manga reader, i will confess to seething in jealousy when the director noted that he's been told about future plot points, though it's good to know that they don't feel stressed at all when it comes to fitting in all the stuff they want to show.
Old 2017-11-04, 18:20   Link #79
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
That worked out surprisingly well. I mean nice that at least Phos wasn't totally handed over. And possible that they can find bits and pieces of her legs over time? Regardless she got back alive and at least the jerk who stabbed Phos on the back had somewhat of a soul.

Total shock though really that crazy moon people weren't trustworthy....Who would have guessed that they wouldn't actually agree to hand over anyone ?

Good little moments though. Phos continues to get under Cinnabar's 'skin'. Slowly, but surely continuing to build that connection. Of course I did find it a bit silly that Cinnnabar just let them continue searching for Phos instead of just walking over there and saying "hey, she's over here." But hey, it somewhat makes sense considering Cinnabar's difficulties interacting with anyone. Stress wise probably easier to take her back, secretly drop her off and then leave.
Old 2017-11-04, 21:04   Link #80
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
That worked out surprisingly well. I mean nice that at least Phos wasn't totally handed over. And possible that they can find bits and pieces of her legs over time? Regardless she got back alive and at least the jerk who stabbed Phos on the back had somewhat of a soul.
<snip>

Phos may have gotten a better deal now that she has faster legs. She can make new memories.

Tags
action, adaptation