AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-08-25, 15:33   Link #1
mit7059

Looking for some great animation

I'm looking for some series with really great animation such as Last Exile or like the upcoming 5 centimeters per second. Preferably fansubs because I'm a cheap bastard. It would also be great if there were high-res versions avaliabe. And I'll put this out there now, I'm not just looking for animes with "great" fight scenes, if anyone suggests shows like naruto or bleach i will BBS-slap you, not to take away from those series, but the don't have anything special about their animation.

More of a manga reader now than an anime watcher. Currently reading list here
Old 2006-08-25, 16:17   Link #2
rooboy
Umeboshi!

Actually, in parts Bleach's animation is really good, but that's not really relevant to what we're talking about. Let's see - I would mention Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, but I see that's not necessary. It's hard to go wrong with Kyo Ani in situations like this so other recommendations would be Air and Full Metal Panic! The Second Raid (I personally think Fumoffu is before Kyo Ani really hit their animation stride).

Part of what hurts in situations like this is most really well animated shows are licensed. Air is the only one I remember having good animation that isn't. Other licensed shows would be Black Lagoon, Samurai Champloo, Samurai 7, and Gankutsuou.

If you're fond of the animation in Honey and Clover, Bokura ga Ita has that same pastel-color, watercolor feel.
Old 2006-08-25, 16:23   Link #3
AvianWing
lol whut?

Send a message via MSN to AvianWing
It's licensed, but give Karas a chance. It is kinda like Last Exile with a blend of cg and 2D animation.
Old 2006-08-25, 16:31   Link #4
mit7059

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooboy666
Actually, in parts Bleach's animation is really good, but that's not really relevant to what we're talking about. Let's see - I would mention Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, but I see that's not necessary. It's hard to go wrong with Kyo Ani in situations like this so other recommendations would be Air and Full Metal Panic! The Second Raid (I personally think Fumoffu is before Kyo Ani really hit their animation stride).

Part of what hurts in situations like this is most really well animated shows are licensed. Air is the only one I remember having good animation that isn't. Other licensed shows would be Black Lagoon, Samurai Champloo, Samurai 7, and Gankutsuou.

If you're fond of the animation in Honey and Clover, Bokura ga Ita has that same pastel-color, watercolor feel.
Yeah I've already watched Air and all the FMPs along with Samurai Champoo and Samurai 7, but i'll look into the others

EDIT:Hmmm, space age count of monte cristo? might be worth looking into

Old 2006-08-25, 16:40   Link #5
rooboy
Umeboshi!

Gankutsuou is one of the better anime series anyway. But it does have a very experimental animation style, since it's licensed you might want to see a couple of still shots before deciding - another series that is commonly held to have good animation is FLCL, but I've never been able to tell as I've only ever seen it on adult swim. Another couple of series that don't necessarily have great animation, but do have exceptionally realistic animation in the characters and expressions are Paranoia Agent and Monster.
Old 2006-08-25, 19:03   Link #6
Theowne
耳をすませば

I'd probably say AIR has really good animation. I'm sort of indifferent to it myself, but lots of people seem to love it so maybe you will too.....

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Old 2006-08-25, 20:06   Link #7
FireDetei
Online Gamer.

I thought Air Gear has been drawn really well, for a high actiony anime they seem to move pretty fluidly.

Atm the best animation/colour/just general look of a anime has to go to The Melancoly of Haruhi Suzumiya tho...imo anyway, from what ive seen.
Old 2006-08-26, 05:54   Link #8
the_ultimate_samurai
kyuukyouku samurai.

well i for one am looking forward to the remake of kanon with air quality animation. *drools* so fecking sweet.

well the subject matter is kinda risque but "i love my younger sister" has some kick ass animation. tsukihime has some sweet animation too. i was kinda partial to the animation in yami to boushi to hon no tabibito and kimi ga nozomu eien. ok now to mention anime with good animation that ISNT based off a hentai game...loveless has some rather nice animation (it not air quality but its pretty good. (note: i place all animation on the AIR scale as i have yet to see more beautiful animation.. and loveless got 6.5-7 on the air scale. thats pretty good.)) but it is shounen ai so...if you are homophobic it may not be for you. same for maria sama ga miteru (thats shoujo ai. its got great animation quality but the series is...meh. its a cute little love story. a bit slow but still good. but the roses may make you vomit.)
oh hachimitsu to clover. wonderful animation. deserves and 8-8.5 on the air scale maybe even a 9. its just beautiful. again kinda slow. not a lot happening in the way of action but its still deep and involving. a wonderful love story. aishiteruze baby had some great animation too. serial experiements lain has some great animation as does texhenolize and cat soup. they are rather stylized but they are good in their right. like koroshiya ichi. now there is a messed up anime movie. the animation style is interesting but its definately high quality. it gets its point across. its stylized kinda like samurai champloo. definately recomend elfen lied. the animation is great. and as was mentioned above haruhi suzumiya no yuutsu was great. especialy episode 12. the synching with the music is perfect and it sets the mood so well. it was great.

thats the ones that come to my mind right now...i'll get back to you if i think of any others. (and note: i dont recomend anime on animation quality alone. all of those have great stories. they are deep and involving high quality anime)

oh i just remembered: "hi no tori" that had its low points but over all the quality was great and the story was amazing.
Old 2006-08-26, 10:23   Link #9
mit7059

You know, if you guys actually read the previous posts before responding you could save yourselves a lot of time, as I said previously I have already seen and loved Honey & Clover, Air and The Melancoly of Haruhi Suzumiya, heck two are listed in my sig, sorry I'm in a bad mood at the moment and not prone to be very nice.

Closed Thread