AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > AnoHana

Notices

View Poll Results: AnoHana - Episode 9 Rating
Perfect 10 24 32.00%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 25 33.33%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 15 20.00%
7 out of 10 : Good 9 12.00%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 2.67%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2011-06-09, 22:11   Link #21
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFarGone View Post
no Menma needs to leave their lives. Everybody needs to move on. If Anjou and Yukiatstu go on a date next episode I think its going to be short. Tsuruko and Yukiastu somehow will end up together by the end of the episode leading to the finale to see Jintan give an answer to Anjou's confession while Menma finally disappears to the other world.
Agree with this. Though it would be nice if Anjou x Jintan did happen.
Old 2011-06-09, 22:29   Link #22
darkmanure

I'm starting to think Jinta will be alone at the end, alone but pushing ahead instead of stuck in the past.
Old 2011-06-09, 22:32   Link #23
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by miketyson View Post
Spoiler for Silly Question:
Spoiler for 9:
Old 2011-06-09, 22:43   Link #24
Ziziphus
Whatever

Great episode! But why do I feel that things are getting more complicated instead of resolved?

I so hope they won't rush the ending.

About ED: are those some new shots of the girls that I saw? (or maybe I just missed them from previous episodes for whatever reason. >_>) Anyway, I made some gifs and sticks from those shots because I friggin' love them:

Last edited by Ziziphus; 2011-06-10 at 00:00. Reason: imageshack failed!
Old 2011-06-09, 22:46   Link #25
Mizz-Bubblez

Quote:
no Menma needs to leave their lives. Everybody needs to move on. If Anjou and Yukiatstu go on a date next episode I think its going to be short. Tsuruko and Yukiastu somehow will end up together by the end of the episode leading to the finale to see Jintan give an answer to Anjou's confession while Menma finally disappears to the other world.
I would love that where all the characters end happy some way, but I am skeptical for such an ending considering who wrote the story.
Old 2011-06-09, 23:01   Link #26
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Super jealousy machine, Yukiatsu Muneatsu.
You thought he was over being hilarious after he was caught crossdressing, but he proves to be great again, be it kicking the fence (No, Tsuruko, he was broken way before, clearly) or asking Anal to date him because they are similar or whatever his imagination brought him to.

In the meantime, Tsuruko... It would have been priceless if she was voiced by KitaEri...

Episode felt a bit lacking in development, but it did feel like a needed transition episode. Seems the end will be the fireworks.

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
Old 2011-06-09, 23:04   Link #27
garbage

too bad for anaru
well, really the most difficult rivals are the ones the are "no longer there" especially if the death was as traumatic as it was for their group.
i wonder why anaru keeps doing her hair that way with those strange twin tails sticking up she looks way cuter with her hair down imho, and she looks great in the preview with the hat.
still i would want them ( jintan and anaru ) to be together in the end to get on with their life, they would be good for each other. [unless we have a jintan dying ending and he goes together with menma ehehe]

yukiatsu as usual just comes across as creepy for me....

The bridge was ... scary? my heart skipped a beat... i thought menma fell in, like a reenactment of her accident before. and whats with her going in the river will she disappear if she does? because she died that way? guess wait for next episode for answers.

edit : come to think of it , Japanese believe when you die you cross some river, cant recall the exact name tho, that might be a reference of sorts.

Last edited by garbage; 2011-06-09 at 23:15.
Old 2011-06-09, 23:05   Link #28
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
I really, really liked this episode.

Spoiler for Episode 9 thoughts:
Old 2011-06-09, 23:14   Link #29
SoFarGone
H.A.M.

oh yea forgot to mention this: there's a chance Jintan might stop the fireworks because he doesn't want Menma to go. Probably won't anyway since fireworks probably isn't the wish.
Old 2011-06-09, 23:26   Link #30
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I really need to start composing my thoughts after watching an episode of this show before blogging it, so much happens every damn week - but it's churning around and needs to come out. The blog review:

Just a couple of general thoughts, somewhat in response to RRR's post:

Spoiler for Speculation on the River Scene:

Last edited by Guardian Enzo; 2011-06-10 at 00:26.
Old 2011-06-10, 00:04   Link #31
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I really need to compose my thoughts after watching an episode of this show before blogging it, so much happens every damn week - but it's churning around and needs to come out. The review:

Just a couple of general thoughts, somewhat in response to RRR's post:

Spoiler for Speculation on the River Scene:
Spoiler for Brief response:
Old 2011-06-10, 00:27   Link #32
Master Chibi
.: A bad doggy :.

I don't know what the hell to think at this point.

Shit, I'm rightly overwhelmed at this point.

Updated once a week - http://pishi.wordpress.com/
Last updated - 5/30/10 - Random Manga Roulette!
Old 2011-06-10, 00:42   Link #33
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Spoiler for Brief response:
Spoiler for Re-response:
Old 2011-06-10, 01:25   Link #34
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
I think that symbolism fits very well Enzo, however, it might just be an expression of Jintan's attempt to cross the boundary of death, and a revelation of how impossible it is for him.

Thus the river represents the boundary of the dead from the living, hence Menma's attraction to it. Jintan rushes down there to try and stop Menma from crossing. Then Jintan tries to cross it himself in Menma's place. Time slows down as he tries to cross the barrier, but he can't. For Jintan it's just a river. Then he looks back and sees the evidence that Menma is already dead (has no reflection). Somehow the riverbank has changed sides, and he's still on the side of the living while Menma is on the side of the dead.

Jintan is separated from her, and he can't change that.

Instead of foreshadowing a future plotline, I think it's representing Jintan's character development since the start of the show, and now a conscious revelation to Jintan of what he's been learning all this time. That he can't go back to those days of having Menma with them all together as the Super Peace Busters.

Just like everyone else, Jintan is having trouble letting go of the past, but I think he's beginning to see that no matter how hard he holds on, the past isn't there to hold.

At least that's how I interpret the scene.

Also, why are you putting all this in spoilers? It's just speculation, not actual spoilers.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Old 2011-06-10, 01:43   Link #35
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

To further elaborate on what Sackett was saying, I'd say that Jinta's observations on the river/creek further reinforces the irony that while Jinta seems to be the one most active in finding a way for Menma to fulfill her wish, he is also the one most invested and likely to be most affected when he finally succeeds, in that he is the one who tries the hardest to succeed but has the most to lose when he does.

This really strengthens the notion that Menma's appearance to Jinta and so far only to him was due to reasons greater than mere chance or mere closeness; he is by far the one in need most of closure and the need to move on. He now knows that his actions on behalf of Menma may as well have been classified as his own attempts to get back the days he spent with her, to relive the days so to speak (no pun intended), but now he knows that by doing so he will finally lose her to the afterlife. He perhaps now knows that his actions weren't as noble as he thought; he was ultimately doing it for his own benefit as well.

But now he understands the end result of his actions, that he was both selfless and selfish, but in the end as Sackett said things don't last forever even for the dead. Everyone will have to cross that river some day, it's just that Menma had to do it earlier than they did. Whether or not they'd meet again on the other said, as a group of friends, at the end of human mortality pretty much depends on whether you believe in an afterlife.

The similarities to the scene with the River Styx in Greek is actually sort of uncanny if not scary.

Blog post to follow.
Old 2011-06-10, 01:54   Link #36
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Sackett and Meo, your interpretations (which if you'll permit me to lump together, I believe are materially the same) certainly are plausible. They make as much such as mine - both fit with the episode and with the general symbolism I see at play here. At this point there's just no way to know - as I said, I hope my theory is wrong and there are many interpretations that fit.

As for the spoiler tags, well - while the bulk of what RRR and I posted was speculation, someone who hadn't watched the episode wouldn't know the scene I was referring to in the first place - and though this is an episode-specific thread, on the same day as airing I'd rather play it safe, just in case.
Old 2011-06-10, 01:56   Link #37
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post

As for the spoiler tags, well - while the bulk of what RRR and I posted was speculation, someone who hadn't watched the episode wouldn't know the scene I was referring to in the first place - and though this is an episode-specific thread, on the same day as airing I'd rather play it safe, just in case.
Yeah, that's the main reason why I used spoilers as well.

That, and to save space.
Old 2011-06-10, 02:07   Link #38
Freeter
beyond

So now Menma's in full force with the whole poltergeist routine of floating objects and invisible scribbles...if I were Poppo, I'd be making money off of that

I'm not throwing any death flags on Jinta. That would be such a cop out if they went that route, plus they've been giving strong hints that he and Anaru are going to end up together. Without him she'd be devastated, and the whole Yukiatsu nonsense is just there to stir Tsuruko drama (heck, she's gotta do something before this is all over ).

Seems Menma's dad isn't the angry beast others made him out to be. He's definitely going to be the one to convince the mom to give the greenlight for the fireworks, along with the younger brother.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbage View Post
The bridge was ... scary? my heart skipped a beat... i thought menma fell in, like a reenactment of her accident before.
That's exactly what they were going for, with the zoom-in on the river and that perfectly timed sound effect. Now we know exactly how it happened, the only question left is why. Was it truly an accident, or did someone instigate the fall?

If it's the latter, then my money's on Poppo, especially after how that whole scene between him and Menma abruptly ended like that. The conclusion of that scene is likely going to come back into play later, possibly during a confrontation between him and Jinta (and since Poppo's bigger than Yukiatsu, Jinta better hope Menma pulls some dirty tricks to give him a fighting chance ).
Old 2011-06-10, 02:14   Link #39
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

The possibility of him dying is... well... the only way this would be even remotely believable would be either:

1. He dies by his own hand to be with her (and I for one refuse to accept this).
2. He dies in a manner similar to how she died. (more acceptable, but I still don't like it).

The suggestion that he may follow in her footsteps across the river of death is possible. He may, if he so chooses, follow her beyond the living into death. The thing is everything here and now has been about living beyond the specter of death and not about joining it. To me, having Jinta die defeats the purpose of a person's attempt not be be shackled to the past and live on beyond the day when time seemed to have stood still. At most I see that event as Jinta's brush with death, to help him gain perspective about what living and dying really means, and how death is ultimately unique to the one who dies and is nothing anyone can really feel until it happens.

For reference I'd point to Kierkegaard's The Sickness Unto Death, but my point being that this to me at most would be a close call on his side, that he ALMOST died in the same manner that Menma died, allowing him as close a view of death (specifically Menma's) as anyone will be able to get.
Old 2011-06-10, 02:14   Link #40
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

I dunno, got a feeling that Tsuruko might be the one most 'responsible' for Menma's death. Not being creeped out by levitating food, but being creeped out once its a pointy object? Not only that, but signs of yandere here and there (especially during the YukiAnaru scene), AND she's the one who put out the idea that maybe Menma hasn't moved on because Menma hasn't forgiven them yet (which she might be very well talking about herself, like Yukiatsu does). I might be wrong (I HOPE I'm wrong), but something is fishy regardless lol (pardon the pun).

On the whole though, I REALLY liked this episode. Especially the part where Jintan thought Menma was gone; really had me anxious if it really was true, and the ramifications of Menma gone from his life. My heart was really thumping in anticipation of what's coming next, even though I knew Menma couldn't have disappeared this early in the series.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
Closed Thread