AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Infinite Stratos

Notices

Old 2012-11-29, 09:17   Link #38401
demino_hellsin
That one guy

buh... Sinking despressive rock in the pit of stomach syndrome.

I guess I just wanted to do something daily life. But I'm suddenly just dead inside D:
demino_hellsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-29, 20:02   Link #38402
ZeroXSEED
I am no one

Jia You then

Spoiler for Final Ace 03 Part 3:
Old 2012-11-30, 04:39   Link #38403
StratoSpear
Titans Test Team Pilot

When you use the same level of power that's meant to launch a powered battle suit on a smaller, lighter subflight unit:

Spoiler for Overkill:
Old 2012-11-30, 04:43   Link #38404
ZeroXSEED
I am no one

The fact that I CAN imagine the situation made it funnier, being gundam watcher and all
Old 2012-11-30, 04:54   Link #38405
StratoSpear
Titans Test Team Pilot

It struck me wondering how do those linear catapults were able to launch both mobile suits and jets using a standard voltage level, I figured it might have a chance to damage the craft's frame... or it'll send a smaller unit slingshotting its way out of the deck...
Old 2012-11-30, 05:19   Link #38406
ZeroXSEED
I am no one

Well, I'm very sure that in the reality, they got that covered. Besides, they rarely launch both at the same time.

Do remember that linear catapult work differently than steam (constant velocity) or EMALS/ Rail catapult (driving shuttle), linear catapult AFAIK contactless and saturate the target WITH magnetic properties. And as stated repeatedly said in many Scifi forum, any object can only contain so much force.
Old 2012-11-30, 05:28   Link #38407
DarkJak2050

I'm wondering, do lasers really charge up as you pulled the trigger before it fires?

I know it's like a redundant question, but does it?
DarkJak2050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-30, 05:34   Link #38408
ZeroXSEED
I am no one

Depends, electric laser are powered by capacitors, the time required to fill these IS the charging time.

Chemical laser also need time to burn down it's fuel and condensing it's beam.

At any rate, the charging time is often fixed, once there's enough power, *PEW*, regardless the state of trigger.
Old 2012-11-30, 05:38   Link #38409
DarkJak2050

It's mentioned in some fictions in the archive that a laser's glow from charging up is a dead give away that it's about to fire.

I'm looking for a way around this kind of problem.
Old 2012-11-30, 05:52   Link #38410
StratoSpear
Titans Test Team Pilot

It would be challenging seeing as the muzzle glows as long as there's laser being charged, it's practically like you're holding a very powerful torchlight that is about to turn lethal.

There are cases like those in ACV, where one of the Overed Weapons is a giant beam cannon, the weapon itself glows bright and it emits a very loud noise, if not sharp, when it's being charged.

Maybe if there's a way to retract the muzzle shut during the charging, it would eliminate the bright glow but then there's the humming/noise the weapon might emit when it charges up.
Old 2012-11-30, 05:57   Link #38411
ZeroXSEED
I am no one

Simple, Laser never actually glow. Those that glow is made to do just that, for illustration and demonstration. You fill the chamber with gas, laser heat it to glowing state.

In case of real life cutting laser (combat or no) it was the TARGET that's glowing bright, burned to crisp

Coconut effect FTW
Old 2012-11-30, 06:00   Link #38412
DarkJak2050

Here's the particular weapon I have concerning this issue...

The Shockburst.
Old 2012-11-30, 06:02   Link #38413
ZeroXSEED
I am no one

I see that as chemical laser, you see, the tube is where the reaction takes place, condensing the beam before firing it.

Because it's transparent it's glowing. If it WASN'T transparent, or been covered (like Stratos said), then there's no problem.

(in fact, I knew transparent chamber is suicide...high energy state and all)
Old 2012-11-30, 06:04   Link #38414
StratoSpear
Titans Test Team Pilot

So all it needs is a few plates to cover the barrel. No light!

On another note: The Type One is a subflight unit like Justice's Fantum(sans the cool wing beam blades).

But I'm envisioning the Type One being able to mount onto the Minerva as a backpack thruster unit without having the Minerva jump off and re-mounting(In other words, mid-flight gattai! style) the Type One on its back...
Old 2012-11-30, 06:11   Link #38415
ZeroXSEED
I am no one

As I said, it's better not to have transparent barrel and all, the chamber is there to FOCUS scattering energy of a combustion process. If that energy bled outside, good luck for the eyes.
Old 2012-11-30, 06:13   Link #38416
DarkJak2050

Well, here's what I have in mind.

The tube is the container where enegy's stored for the next shot. Basically, after each shot, the tube gets recharged automatically. All that needs to be done is to pull the trigger and it'll fire. Oh sure everyone can see that it's charged for it's next shot, but they won't know when it's actually going to fire. Look here on how I have it set up:

Auto-Charge >>> Trigger Pull >>> Fire (Repeats)
Old 2012-11-30, 06:15   Link #38417
ZeroXSEED
I am no one

^ maybe this can work, glowing capacitor is a lot more forgivable than glowing laser chamber (not that small dot can not do the job but hey, rule of cool > stealth)

@ Stratos
If you want ground docking to be possible, then there should be lifting fan/jet/rocket, I don't think slamming it ala Justice is physically feasible on the ground...
Old 2012-11-30, 06:24   Link #38418
DarkJak2050

Here's the best I can give you for the Shockburst in action. If you can watch it.

Remember that it only fires laser beams.
Old 2012-11-30, 06:28   Link #38419
ZeroXSEED
I am no one

*shrug*

Last thing last, whether you want THE laser (not the gun) to be invisible or visible, your choice.
Old 2012-11-30, 06:33   Link #38420
DarkJak2050

I didn't say anything about making the laser itself invisible.

Tags
fanfic ideas, fanfiction, ff.net, harem, is fanfic, warning fanfic spoilers, wincest