AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Old 2006-04-20, 18:32   Link #661
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo
I realized yesterday that if this show maintains the high level it has kept through three episodes, I may have to consider it the greatest anime of all time. From what novel-readers say, the material is there.
eh...I still have my doubts that it could get into a shakai-genshou type hype like Evangelion since it is still an anime shown late at night on local UHF channels. But so far, the otaku community has been in tremendous uproar for the better. Kyo-Ani cannot be dethroned!!! But I wouldn't mind Haruhi sweeping centerstage on ALTAVISION in Shinjuku or in that huge TV in Shibuya. Once I see the entire music video of "Hare Hare Yukai" high-quality dance scene used in the ED, that's when I can see a shakai-genshou type hype take hold. So, everyone should move off their ass and start buying "Hare Hare Yukai" when the CD comes out! Make it top the Oricon charts!!!
kj1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-20, 18:45   Link #662
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psieye
- N = R^0 x f_p x n_e x f_l(?) x f_i(?) x f_c x f (this seems somewhat familiar but I can't quite pinpoint it...)
the equation to find the existence of intelligent extraterrestrial life which has the ability to communicate (aka: The Drake Equation)
kj1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-20, 18:51   Link #663
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
what th- O_o

er....Power to Haruhiist?
Old 2006-04-20, 19:16   Link #664
celcius
Aspiring but lazy

Re: Psieye's post

o.O I'm struck speechless...
See the power of Haruhi? She wills people to study Physics.

ED single comes out at May 10th right?
celcius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-20, 19:47   Link #665
melange
Reset, reset, reset...

Quote:
Among the anime that started in January, Fate/Stay Night is by far the most popular on the massive Japanese board 2channel. It is now on its 64th thread, each thread containing about 1000 posts.

Today, within three weeks of its debut, The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi has already caught up to Fate/Stay Night, reaching its own 64th thread. This is a phenomenon.

I realized yesterday that if this show maintains the high level it has kept through three episodes, I may have to consider it the greatest anime of all time. From what novel-readers say, the material is there.
I personally want to see the day the Haruhi forum overtakes the Fate/Stay Night forum here on Animesuki. It will be the next goalpost after we top the School Rumble forum which shouldn't take too long

"Every man has two countries, his own and France" - Attributed to Thomas Jefferson
melange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-20, 19:56   Link #666
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

I didn't realize that Haruhi's opening would refer to none other than Millar experiment with early atmosphere (Benzene ring) , the search of extraterrastrial life, than right after we've got the fundamental laws of modern physics and an overview of decimal system (sort of)...

This stuff is spoiler material ><.

(I wonder if we beat the 2ch to the punch with this UFO discovery).

Going back to Haruhi's popularity. It came like a sudden whirlwind really... who would've known that N.America would be taken ablaze alongside Asia, especially for a fiction that although was localized, fell below the radar of normal otaku...

It would be enough for the depressing things in life to only exist in reality.
It is because that I think the birth of a story... is from people dreaming of a happy ending. ~Misaka Shiori

Last edited by panzerfan; 2006-04-21 at 00:47.
panzerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-20, 19:58   Link #667
Shirobane
Haruhiism Worshipper

Mindyou the School Rumble Forum had a season head start on this one
Shirobane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-20, 20:06   Link #668
melange
Reset, reset, reset...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirobane
Mindyou the School Rumble Forum had a season head start on this one
Yea. Well.. there's still the 2005 winter data loss to account for but...

Its like the Google IPO!

"Every man has two countries, his own and France" - Attributed to Thomas Jefferson
melange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-20, 20:22   Link #669
celcius
Aspiring but lazy

Quote:
Going back to Haruhi's popularity. It came like a sudden whirlwind really... who would've known that N.America would be taken ablaze alongside Asia, especially for a fiction that although was localized, fell below the radar of normal otaku...
Maybe seeing Noizi Itoh for character design / illustrations did it. Seeing as how Shana is fairly popular, I guess people decided to check this out. Anyway, that's what did it for me.

For others, it could've been them seeing one of the many ED edits over at youtube.
celcius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-20, 21:30   Link #670
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

I think if there's anything to blame for Haruhi's overnight popularity explosion, it's the incredibly unique and witty first episode. Even the people who didn't like it were talking about it.
Sorrow-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-20, 21:33   Link #671
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
lolol. woohoo! so the anti-haruhiist are actually helping to spread haruhiism? oh....the irony!!!

Old 2006-04-20, 22:18   Link #672
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I'd say its the combinaton of character personality design and the "Hitchhiker's Guide" kind of swirling absurdism that catches this show on fire.

I'd noticed a number of the equations...but thanks to Psieye, panzerfan, and kj1980 for actually documenting them.

This may end up needing a Cultural Reference Guide like the ones made for Animananiacs, Freakazoid, PaniPoniDash, and others.
Old 2006-04-20, 22:32   Link #673
mr.muffin

Great job psieye on noticing those equations and actually documenting them. Reminds me why I dislike physics so much...
Don't know if its the hype that's getting to me, but Haruhi is the first anime that has got me waiting for the next epsiode with SO much anticipation. I wasn't even this hyped up for Bleach...
Never underestimate the power of Haruhiism.
mr.muffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-20, 22:56   Link #674
USB500
*facepalm.jpg*
*Author

Send a message via MSN to USB500 Send a message via Yahoo to USB500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psieye
You know, I've never scanned the OP in so much detail as this before... After the title and before the Starry Run sequence are a lot of formulae written in white (hence hard to read). I could spot:

Haruhi Power Walking shot (focussing on her skirt/mid-body)
Electron-positron orbits
The Capital Lambda symbol

Haruhi Power Walking shot (focussing just above her head)
- Chemical formula for a Benzene ring (along with its formula written out compact form: C6H6)
- t_universe (presumably a Cosmology equation)
- Planck's Constant (i.e. h-bar) in [J s] units
- Some geometric series summing to infinity
- D = 0.4 + 0.3 x 2^n (not sure what this is an equation of)
- Schrodinger's equation written in Dirac Notation
- N = R^0 x f_p x n_e x f_l(?) x f_i(?) x f_c x f (this seems somewhat familiar but I can't quite pinpoint it...)
- H(x) = - SUM [for all x within the set X] (......) (couldn't read all of this but I don't quite recognise that x within X set condition. Maybe a Hamiltonian?)

Haruhi Cheerleader sequence
English + Kanji + Standard form representations (i.e. 10^3, 10^6, etc) of orders of magnitude going upwards (up to Septillion and higher)

Mikuru Cheerleader sequence
- Schrodinger's equation applied to a potential well
- E^2 = c^2 p^2 -> (i h-bar d/dt)^2 c^2.... (etc etc etc) (Normally it's E^2 = c^2 p^2 + m^2 c^4 so this is some expression for a massless particle - likely a photon)
- Expression for the time-dependance of wave functions (though they're using d^2/dq^2 where q is a generalised space coordinate)
- h-bar = h/2*Pi (standard notation this)
- E = mc^2
- A partial differential equation used in Thermodynamics (I think that's S for Entropy and u for Internal Energy... damn so rusty on this one)
- A probability expression
- Grad^2 spelled out (d^2/d(x_1)^2 + d^2/d(x_2)^2 + ... + d^2/d(x_n)^2)

... I'm probably the only one right now who's wishing Mikuru isn't blocking the background in this sequence.

Haruhi Banchou sequence
Kanji + Standard form representations for orders of magnitude this time heading towards the small scale (10^-15, -16, etc)

At this rate, the Haruhi OP will become my motivation for studying for my final Physics exams... XD
Oh dear, this is why I didn't do very well in my Physics tests. There were just too many formulas to remember
USB500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-20, 23:29   Link #675
Shirobane
Haruhiism Worshipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by celcius
Maybe seeing Noizi Itoh for character design / illustrations did it. Seeing as how Shana is fairly popular, I guess people decided to check this out. Anyway, that's what did it for me.

For others, it could've been them seeing one of the many ED edits over at youtube.
Also from many posts on these boards, it seems that word of mouth is contributing to the wildfire that is Haruhi

Keep up the good work!

Edit: =/ I should probably read the posts a little closer, basically re-iterated Sorrow-K's post >.<

Quote:
Originally Posted by panzerfan
One, ten, hundred, thousand, million, milliard, billion, billiard, trillion, trilliard, quadrillion.

Tenth, hundredth, thousandth, millionth, milliardth, billionth, billiardth, trillionth, trilliardth, quadrillionth
Hmm I'm not quite familiar with that numbering system, can you tell me where it comes from?

Last edited by Shirobane; 2006-04-20 at 23:46.
Old 2006-04-20, 23:46   Link #676
Adigard

Psieye's and Panzerfan's posts...

If we ever manage to identify 100% of those formula, it should probably be added to the wiki. I don't know that it's entirely appropriate to go there, but that's really nice trivia ^_^

Insanely good catch all ^^
Adigard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-21, 00:37   Link #677
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx
I'd say its the combinaton of character personality design and the "Hitchhiker's Guide" kind of swirling absurdism that catches this show on fire....
Does "design" include animation? Because I think that's what brings people from all genres together to this one anime. Being wowed by the animation, we all stick around long enough to get hooked by the characters, personalities, and "swirling absurdism" (good phrase).

And I do think the opposition to it helps fan the flames. "All publicity is good publicity." On 2channel, there are already seven threads of the "Suzumiya Haruhi is a KyoAni employees' self-promoting shitty anime" title: over 6000 posts from people who hate the show. But about 300 posts in the past four hours in the 64th thread of the pro-SH posts.

Gokurou-sama to everyone who chased down the formulae, etc. This reminds me of PaniPoni Dash.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2006-04-21 at 01:07.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-21, 00:56   Link #678
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

There's 2 forms of numbering system in English. 1 is the long form and the other, short form. We are more familiar with the short form as this is the American norm when 'Trillion' is quoted. The long form is archaic although it can express a wider range than the short form.

short form 'billion' is long form 'milliard'. millionard x 1000 is actually what we commonly know as a trillion.

It would be enough for the depressing things in life to only exist in reality.
It is because that I think the birth of a story... is from people dreaming of a happy ending. ~Misaka Shiori

panzerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-21, 00:56   Link #679
Thelastguardian

Quote:
"Suzumiya Haruhi is a KyoAni employees' self-promoting shitty anime"
涼宮ハルヒは京アニ社員宣伝工作の糞アニメ7

Frankly I don't care. As Maddox said, "Hate mails fuel the fire! You love it! You can't get enough of it!"

Just like iPod bashing.

It is times like this that I am glad I am above "normal otaku" according to some people above .
Old 2006-04-21, 01:02   Link #680
Shirobane
Haruhiism Worshipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by panzerfan
There's 2 forms of numbering system in English. 1 is the long form and the other, short form. We are more familiar with the short form as this is the American norm when 'Trillion' is quoted. The long form is archaic although it can express a wider range than the short form.

short form 'billion' is long form 'milliard'. millionard x 1000 is actually what we commonly know as a trillion.
Ah I see, when I first looked at it, I was wondering why it looked like the french numbering system in english

Tags
comedy, kadokawa, school life, science fiction, shounen