AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2012-02-22, 02:52   Link #3221
Azuma Denton
~AD~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elo the Blue View Post
As a fan, I've felt the team was cursed at times with how hard injuries have hit the past several campaigns. But the loss of key players to injury wouldn't be as bad if there were quality reserves in waiting.

I'm hoping Walcott is sold in the summer because I don't see him getting significantly better as a player.

Ramsey and Arteta were never going to replace those two. Aaron will get better over time, but he's not in Fabregas or Nasri's class(he may never be). And Arteta is obviously a declining player who's never really been more than solid. Even with Wilshere, the club needed a young, talented play-maker to offset the loss of two great ones. It should have been Mata. Instead, we got Arteta and Benayoun on loan.
IMO, if Arsenal really wanna restructure...

1. Kick Ivan Gazidis from his position and return David Dein in their...
2. Arsene Wenger may be kept or if he is out, then give us Manager like Guus Hiddink, Carlo Ancelotti, or Joachim Loew (based on the ability to develop young talents, they are great)
3. Restructure wage caps on Arsenal (seriously, 100k is too low for EPL standards)
4. Restructure physio and coach. Seriously, how can many player on team can only play for 2 months for full campaign? (Diaby, Rosicky, Wilshere, etc)
5. Kick Squillaci, Diaby, Denilson, Bendtner, Arshavin, Almunia. They are eating Arsenal wages while doing nothing...

As for Walcott, i am willing give him another year to prove himself... I still believe on his potential...

Player that must be kept at all cost. Sczensny, Vermaelen, Sagna, Koscielny, Song, Arteta, Gervinho, Wilshere, van Persie, Lansbury, Chamberlain, Miyaichi.

Player that we need: Hazard, Goetze, Baines, another deadly striker that can shoot from outside of box.

Skill that must be develop as soon as possible: ability to shoot from outside of the box.
Azuma Denton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-22, 04:30   Link #3222
Shinndou
魂を踊らすように

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokukirin View Post
Nah, even in most optimistic scenarios, Italy will take at least 4 to 7 years to take the 4th CL spot back. While their CL results are respectable (won in 07 and 10), their overall performance in Europe has been awful, especially in the Europa League. Their UEFA coefficients are miles behind the top 3. This year English teams underperform in CL, but with strong showing in last 4 years, EPL should remain top next year at least.

Milan's victory over Arsenal is hardly representative of Italy's state of football. Arsenal's horrible showing made Milan look better than they actually are. Juventus has a strong domestic season but is yet to be tested in Europe. The team is very good from front to back, but only Pirlo, Chiellini, and Buffon are their only truly world class players. Pirlo's age may not allow him to perform well for much longer. IMO they need a better striker to make a mark in Europe. Matri is good but not one you can depend on at highest level. Inter is in dire need of rebuilding the team and will not be a force in Europe again for 3 years at least. The other Italian teams simply don't have the resource to do much.

One only needs to look at the 3/4-empty stadiums and poor pitch conditions in Serie A to conclude that the Italian football is not in good shape. IMO Italy really needs to host a major tournament to upgrade the infrastructure and increase matchday attendance.
This.

As a Juve fan I can say this season has gone way beyond anyone's expectation. Given our extremely poor results in the past two seasons no one was expecting Conte to be able to change the team's mentality and tactical approach so radically. It's the first time in almost ten years that Juventus are finally playing attractive football once again (during Capello's spell we never played "pretty" football, even though it was effective), and we're winning games while doing it.

But, as Kokukirin said, the team still has a long way to go. We've now built a new core of players, we have a good mix of veterans and youngsters but we still lack a real world class player upfront, which is why in the league table we are not way ahead.

I am expecting the club to open the wallet and start spending this summer, given that our incomes should have increased now that we have our own stadium (which is always full, a rare event nowadays in Serie A) and thanks to a potential CL qualification.

Honestly if RVP were to leave Arsenal I wouldn't mind if Juve would try get him. Certainly there are clubs that can offer him immediate glory but IMHO he would struggle at the likes of Barca or Real. At Juve he would certainly fit in like a glove with the way we play football right now, and he would provide that "killing intent" that we're lacking so far from our strikers.
Shinndou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-22, 17:22   Link #3223
Kokukirin
Shadow of Effilisi

Bayern loses 1-0 away to Basel. I have to say that the result is shocking, perhaps more shocking than Man Utd losing at the same place. While Man Utd is clearly not the dominant force it was a few years back, Bayern Munich has largely completed their team rebuilding. Their squad is theoretically at the prime.

OM 1-0 Inter is a somewhat expected result, but not the way I imagined. Inter is in a complete mess, but the team looks defensively sound for this game, and threatening on the counter. But Inter visibly slowed (tired?) after 80 minutes. Most expected OM to take advantage of the slow Inter players, but OM's biggest chances came from Andre Ayew's headers. Inter's CBs are very strong in the air, so Ayew deserves a lot of credits for winning so many headers against them.
Kokukirin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-22, 17:38   Link #3224
Saturn Beaver
Home of Silent Prayer

Send a message via MSN to Saturn Beaver
Watching the game it isn't that shocking to me, Basel played very well and Bayern's defense seems a bit weak. In fact, it could be more than 1-0, there's two instances where the ball hits the crossball early in the first half that could have easily been in.

I won't brush out Bayern's hope yet though, they're not playing that much worse it's just that Basel's defense has been really solid, especially the GK. But a non-away-goal lead is nothing, as long as they got their game together in their homeground passing isn't impossible.

Still, it's interesting to see the English clubs collapsing spectacularly in the CL. It takes a miracle to save Arsenal now, and although a 2-0 is enough to see Chelsea through, with their defense and Napoli's offense keeping a clean sheet is almost impossible (even against City and Bayern, Napoli always scored 2 goals minimum). Would be interesting to see the Quarter Finals.
Old 2012-02-26, 10:42   Link #3225
Azuma Denton
~AD~

So Arsenal pawned Tottenham today with amazing score... 5-2
A little note that Arsenal scores 5 after conceeded 2 in 30 minutes.

My thought:
- Rosicky at this point shows more class than Ramsey. He is very determined on attacking, not just holding up the ball and passing it to the winger.
- Walcott scores 2 goal today. I dont know what happen, but seems like Walcott suddenly find his skill back (which is his speed).
- Tottenham midfield shatters... Rare occasion that combi Parker + Modric didnt work today.
Old 2012-02-26, 11:16   Link #3226
monsta666

I had major doubts over Walcott but I think in the past 12 months or so he has turned it around somewhat. He is not perfect and his finishing does need some work but he is worth persevering with. Ramsey is still raw but he is young and had a major injury not that long ago so he will need time. In time he should be a major talent and I expect in the coming years he will be better than Rosicky even at his peak. Speaking of bad injuries what Arsenal need is Wilshere; I heard he is supposed to be back around March but haven't heard anything about him lately. As always Van Persie is good but I do worry, he is due a injury any moment! LOL

But great result today especially after the last losses. Got Liverpool and Milan next week followed by Newcastle so the immediate fixtures will not be easy. The hope is to get into the Champions League next season and it will be between Chelsea and Arsenal for that fourth spot. Tottenham seem too far ahead to lose it but you never know; if Redknapp leaves for England and Tottenham season then implodes they could fall outside the top 4 but that is unlikely.
monsta666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-27, 00:01   Link #3227
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

WOOHOO LIVERPOOL WON CARLING CUP!!!!

Was under-performing and playing like crap, but the result is all what important

Tough final, but we did it the hard way. Won Stoke away (among leading top 7 team,only Newcastle and us have won this fixtrue), won Chelsea away with less than 48 hours rest. Won Manchester City both legs with their full squad (maybe with exception of Yara Toure). The cup is not as prestige as others, but everything need the 1st step

PS: on EPL, with Chelsea, Liverpool and Asernal are in transaction (i believe Arsenal is still paying off their stadium debt, and it should really close now), Spur gonna lose their inspired manager (hate him, Harry, but admit he got talent), MU sooner or later gonna face Ferguson's retirement and Man City will not have such superior financial support. I expect 3-5 years from now, EPL power standing will change a huge deal.
Old 2012-02-27, 14:52   Link #3228
Elo the Blue
Mama there goes that man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azuma Denton View Post
IMO, if Arsenal really wanna restructure...

1. Kick Ivan Gazidis from his position and return David Dein in their...
2. Arsene Wenger may be kept or if he is out, then give us Manager like Guus Hiddink, Carlo Ancelotti, or Joachim Loew (based on the ability to develop young talents, they are great)
3. Restructure wage caps on Arsenal (seriously, 100k is too low for EPL standards)
4. Restructure physio and coach. Seriously, how can many player on team can only play for 2 months for full campaign? (Diaby, Rosicky, Wilshere, etc)
5. Kick Squillaci, Diaby, Denilson, Bendtner, Arshavin, Almunia. They are eating Arsenal wages while doing nothing...

As for Walcott, i am willing give him another year to prove himself... I still believe on his potential...

Player that must be kept at all cost. Sczensny, Vermaelen, Sagna, Koscielny, Song, Arteta, Gervinho, Wilshere, van Persie, Lansbury, Chamberlain, Miyaichi.

Player that we need: Hazard, Goetze, Baines, another deadly striker that can shoot from outside of box.

Skill that must be develop as soon as possible: ability to shoot from outside of the box.
Couldn't agree more with your first, second, third and fifth points. Truth be told, I can't believe fitness coaches are doing a poor job. The club just may just have invested in some injury-prone players.

I don't blame you for still believing in Walcott. While he was impressive yesterday, he's been impressive numerous other times in his career. But he really hasn't expanded his game or become a consistent force. Maybe I'm expecting too much because he's been around for long. He turns just 23 next month.

I'd love to see either Hazard or Goetze in red.

I agree with monsta666 about Ramsey becoming a better player than Rosicky ever was in the long-term. Right now though, the latter is clearly more effective. I wasn't surprised to hear news of Aaron's ankle injury. He hasn't looked right in a while.
Old 2012-02-29, 16:53   Link #3229
Kokukirin
Shadow of Effilisi

US defeats Italy 1-0 in an international friendly. Sometimes diving does not work.
Old 2012-02-29, 17:19   Link #3230
solomon

Saw the game, nice job by our boys.

However my noob ass has some questions,

wasn't this filled with more backup Italia players who are trying to get a spot on the squad for Euro matchups coming soon?

Was also wondering what other people (non US) who saw the match thought. ESPN was touting it as a bit of a milestone.
solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-29, 18:53   Link #3231
Kokukirin
Shadow of Effilisi

Quote:
Originally Posted by solomon View Post
Saw the game, nice job by our boys.

However my noob ass has some questions,

wasn't this filled with more backup Italia players who are trying to get a spot on the squad for Euro matchups coming soon?

Was also wondering what other people (non US) who saw the match thought. ESPN was touting it as a bit of a milestone.
I think for US it is a good achievement to be proud of. They got a goal from Italy in absence of Landon Donovan. They defended well against everything Italy threw at them. Granted, Italy were without Balotelli, G. Rossi, and Cassano, their 3 most talented strikers, but a cleansheet against a still very good team is remarkable.

Other than the 3 absent strikers already mentioned, plus first choice leftback Balzaretti, Italy played their starters at different points of the game. Only Ogbonna was a real surprise member in the team. I wouldn't call this Italy's B team.
Old 2012-03-03, 10:59   Link #3232
Elo the Blue
Mama there goes that man!

Second huge win in as many games for the Gunners. RVP is the man. And Szczesny is easily one of the better young keepers in the world .

Valiant effort by Arsenal tonight. Milan did what any Italian does best in the second half.

Last edited by Elo the Blue; 2012-03-06 at 17:00.
Elo the Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-11, 02:54   Link #3233
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Glad to see that Arsenal coming real close to take back top 3 spot from Totenham now, especially with their lost to Everton yesterday.

At the cost of my favorite club: Liverpool through. But still have soft spot for Arsenal and have to be glad for them. You guys better do not make our sacrifice in vain
Old 2012-03-13, 01:20   Link #3234
Azuma Denton
~AD~

Yesh, Arsenal has close the gaps to Tottenham to 1 point...
And Captain Vantastic still scores...
Old 2012-03-13, 08:12   Link #3235
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

If they keep this up, Arsenal surely will cement top 3 spot.

I think Chelsea also only behind Spur 4 points. And they still will play Spur in Stanford Bridge. Hopefully they can kick Spur out top 4 this season, since my brother is in for Chelsea
Old 2012-03-15, 17:21   Link #3236
kayote
Looking for ONE PIECE

amazing last two days.

we win against Napoli and become the only english team in europe and today city and United go out of europe.

there is so much gloating to do and seeing the jelousy green glow around people is so satisfying.

and i hope that we keep winning. draw is tommorow so lets see who we get. we have some crazy matches ahead of us and we're gonna need all the players to dig in to rescue the season. as for the draw the hardest route to the final is the best. Bayern, Barca and Real. not in that order. Barca in the final. we can beat them in one match but not over 2 legs. we'd get killed.

players have united together now that AVB has gone. i guess that his sacking brought one good thing into the team. unity is back. we have to move on, as much as we need him he is gone. RDB is not good enough, but he's what we've got.

as for who will take over Jose is the past and we don't need him. Rafa would be a disaster and Pepe would be good only if Tito came with him, package deal. Low would be great but he's signed a new contract till 2014 and he would need to be very carefull. if Drogba, Malouda, bosingwa and kalou do go without thair contracts being renewed it would be the best time for someone new to come in, and Low would do well.

Last edited by kayote; 2012-03-15 at 17:35.
kayote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-15, 17:53   Link #3237
Rahan

So neither of the Manchester sides managed to make the quarter finals of the European League ...
Man U fielded a solid team and lost fair and square again, City apparently only showed up for one quarter of the tie (second half of the return leg) and it was close to being enough.
Rahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-15, 18:42   Link #3238
Kokukirin
Shadow of Effilisi

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayote View Post
amazing last two days.

we win against Napoli and become the only english team in europe and today city and United go out of europe.

there is so much gloating to do and seeing the jelousy green glow around people is so satisfying.

and i hope that we keep winning. draw is tommorow so lets see who we get. we have some crazy matches ahead of us and we're gonna need all the players to dig in to rescue the season. as for the draw the hardest route to the final is the best. Bayern, Barca and Real. not in that order. Barca in the final. we can beat them in one match but not over 2 legs. we'd get killed.

players have united together now that AVB has gone. i guess that his sacking brought one good thing into the team. unity is back. we have to move on, as much as we need him he is gone. RDB is not good enough, but he's what we've got.

as for who will take over Jose is the past and we don't need him. Rafa would be a disaster and Pepe would be good only if Tito came with him, package deal. Low would be great but he's signed a new contract till 2014 and he would need to be very carefull. if Drogba, Malouda, bosingwa and kalou do go without thair contracts being renewed it would be the best time for someone new to come in, and Low would do well.
Valencia's Unai Emery is becoming increasingly unpopular among their fans. An exit at the end of season looks more and more likely. I would not be surprised if a big team picks him up.

Come to think about it, he is an accomplished coach. When he took over, Valencia was 10th in the league. Now Valencia consistently finish third, which is the best result you can realistically hope for given the vast difference in resources compared to the top two in Spain. Every year they sell their best players (David Villa, David Silva, Juan Mata, etc) because of financial troubles, but Emery always reinvents the team and gets good results. It will be interesting to see how much he can do when given sufficient funds to actually build a team.
Old 2012-03-15, 21:39   Link #3239
Azuma Denton
~AD~

So both Manchester teams are being crashed out of European (again).
Well, this has been the hot talks between my colleagues from morning.
Old 2012-03-15, 21:58   Link #3240
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azuma Denton View Post
So both Manchester teams are being crashed out of European (again).
Well, this has been the hot talks between my colleagues from morning.
And while City showed some fighting spirit, MU has been second best among the 2 till now. Was hammered quite badly and luck was on their side to not concede more. Against Ajax, Basel and Benfica at home as well

I believe MU have been doing so well in the league mostly because lower team coming to the match already lose a goal (in their head). In the same time decisions and luck going their way so much that even without them ,they still believe that they will score last minute, and they usually did. Foreign team don't believe in that bs and play their own game, and they end up in the driving seat

While their players are quite decent, there's almost no world class players in the squad, apart maybe Rooney and Vidic. Comparing to few years ago with Van De Sar, Tevez and Ronaldo

Tags
football, soccer