AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2007-08-08, 06:12   Link #1
toru310

What and how can a pc hang and crash?

Well lately after I do heavy gaming(dreamcast emulator) it will hang for a while and start again..

The first encounter was I was just downloading some files and a little Yahoo messenger it hang for like 2 seconds...(the mouse pointer is still movable)

The second encounter of hang was when I turned off my emulator it hang for like seconds(The mouse pointer is not moving) and it will start again..well If I look at it it looks like the power supply is failing...well ain't sure though.

If my memory serves me right when my power supply died the red light or hard drive activity is on I mean just like a red light it does not blink..but in my encounter this time the light is not in a stand still...well I don't really sure thats why I'm asking for some help..hehe but its not that worse I mean the previews power supply was like a nightmare..
toru310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-08, 06:42   Link #2
TakutoKun
Mew Member
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migufuchi Fusutsu View Post
Well lately after I do heavy gaming(dreamcast emulator) it will hang for a while and start again..

The first encounter was I was just downloading some files and a little Yahoo messenger it hang for like 2 seconds...(the mouse pointer is still movable)

The second encounter of hang was when I turned off my emulator it hang for like seconds(The mouse pointer is not moving) and it will start again..well If I look at it it looks like the power supply is failing...well ain't sure though.

If my memory serves me right when my power supply died the red light or hard drive activity is on I mean just like a red light it does not blink..but in my encounter this time the light is not in a stand still...well I don't really sure thats why I'm asking for some help..hehe but its not that worse I mean the previews power supply was like a nightmare..
Rather than a power supply issue, it is more of a resource issue. When your system tends to freeze, how many programs are running - actively or as a daemon? You can check to see what is starting up by going to START > RUN > msconfig and to the "Startup tab."

Also, hang ups can occur with Virus scans as well. Virus scans run in the background and check files as you receive them. This could cause your freeze as well.

When your computer "freezes," does it eventually become stable again? You could also have a look at the "Windows Task Manager" and the "Processes Tab" as well as the "Performance" tab to check for programs that are using an unusual amount of resources. Another place to check is through the "Computer Management Console" (right-click My Computer > Manage). Under the "System Tools" and "Event Viewer," check the "Applications" and "System" event logs for errors or warnings.
TakutoKun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-08, 06:42   Link #3
xris
Just call me Ojisan

It could be nearly anything. It could be your motherboard, it could be your CPU, it could be your memory, it could be your hard disc, it could be heat related, it could be load related, it could be software related. It could be a compatibility issue between hardware components, it could be a compatibility issue between software components, it could be a compatibility issue between hardware and software components. If it's an intermittent fault it's going to be extremely difficult to diagnose remotely.

And it would help if you mentioned in more detail all the previous problems you have had (with this PC?). Not everyone has a perfect memory and remembers all the posts you have made in the past. If you want help then please try and help the people who are trying to help you. It's only polite and it may prevent others wasting their time.
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-08, 07:39   Link #4
toru310

Well it didn't got caught in brownouts or blackouts following weeks I just turn it on and turn it off when I go to bed..just the basic things but I sometimes play Dreamcast emu and it takes 100% of cpu usage..And the temperature today is well its pretty cold..It did on the other hand experience extreme heat lets say 30degrees( is that right) and my pc was on that time. Well thats all that I can remember that my pc went through.
Old 2007-08-08, 11:37   Link #5
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

I'll side with matradley on this one... your PC is most likely having a resource problem or a an overload problem... depends on your prefered point of view. When you extensively use the swap file of the system and it cleans several gigabytes of swapped data this can take a while (and of course the red light will be on when this is done). Usually happens with very memory hungry programs/cluttered up systems.
Old 2007-08-08, 16:06   Link #6
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
This sort of things happens a lot when you mix Windows and an internet connection--not because of something entering the system secretly, but because of the very things the user does. So, yes, it's normal if you don't control yourself with what you download. Installing lots of programs and having them run at the same time (which happens an awful lot on XP with those damn startup programs) can drain out your PC in very little time.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-08, 18:09   Link #7
TakutoKun
Mew Member
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinto Lin View Post
I'll side with matradley on this one... your PC is most likely having a resource problem or a an overload problem... depends on your prefered point of view. When you extensively use the swap file of the system and it cleans several gigabytes of swapped data this can take a while (and of course the red light will be on when this is done). Usually happens with very memory hungry programs/cluttered up systems.
I was thinking of a light on the PS. Perhaps a defrag would help to clear up the pagefile.sys on the main disk. How much RAM do you have? You could decrease the overall size of your pagefile. Your pagefile should be 1.5 times the amount of your RAM as according to Microsoft. Perhaps, over time, and with hard disk fragementation, your information has become scattered about your drive. That being said, I will wait for more information.
Old 2007-08-08, 21:25   Link #8
toru310

Quote:
Originally Posted by matradley View Post
I was thinking of a light on the PS. Perhaps a defrag would help to clear up the pagefile.sys on the main disk. How much RAM do you have? You could decrease the overall size of your pagefile. Your pagefile should be 1.5 times the amount of your RAM as according to Microsoft. Perhaps, over time, and with hard disk fragementation, your information has become scattered about your drive. That being said, I will wait for more information.
I apologies I'll make my problem detailed as much as possible..

so this is my pc's specs (all in default settings)
P4 2.66ghz(not over clocked)
x2 512mb ddr400
benq dvd dual layer burner
PCCHIPS P21G mother board
Inno3d FX5200 256mb Agp video card
40gb / 160 seagate hard drive (storage drive is already in slave drive)
550w power supply (not switching just any regular power supply and I also don't connect my monitor to the power supply I connect it in the outlet it self.)

What bothers me is the previews crash that my pc encountered well I left for an hour and when I got back it crashed after that did memtest and theres no errors..My guess is that it overheated and restarted? because the room temperature was kind of hot. (or maybe someone used my pc and accidentally restarted it)

The other one is the sudden hang of the pc well I guess I mentioned it awhile ago and yes I have daemontools but I don't use it since I have img files for my games.

Oh yeah I still have one weird problem when ever i go to this specific torrent site my cpu usage goes to 100% and goes down and goes up again it only goes down if I exit it or remove a tab..pretty weird

As for my hard drive I never really defrag and I now I did some deletes and saves.
And like you said the information might have scattered all over since I delete and save and move some files..

Many thanks
Old 2007-08-08, 22:56   Link #9
hobbes_fan
You could say.....

Your running a P4 and 512 Ram right? I'm willing to almost guarantee you're running out of resources. certain MAME stuff messes up on my laptop. Also clean your regstry with something like ccleaner, often when you uninstall programs bits are left behind hogging the resources
hobbes_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-09, 07:13   Link #10
demonix

Send a message via Yahoo to demonix
hobbes_fan you should've read this properly

Quote:
x2 512mb ddr400
Meaning there is 1gb of RAM so memory resources isn't the problem here.
demonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-09, 13:43   Link #11
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonix View Post
hobbes_fan you should've read this properly

Meaning there is 1gb of RAM so memory resources isn't the problem here.
Which depends on the stuff Migufuchi Fusutsu has installed. I'ld really like to look into that strange system for myself... I am quite sure it might just be a simple (or several simple problems which are easy to solve.... once one identified them).

If I had the time (maybe in 3 weeks or so) I could offer Migufuchi Fusutsu a remote desktop help session. (Remote desktop allows another person to watch and control a PC over the internet... means I could do some real investigations)
Old 2007-08-09, 15:41   Link #12
TakutoKun
Mew Member
*IT Support

Could you take a screenshot of the "processes tab" of the Windows Task Manager for us? That would indicate what daemons, as well as active windows, are running.

You have also mentioned that you do not defrag? Perhaps it is time for a defrag. I should also do some quick error checks on the disk to ensure that is not a problem. Go to START > RUN > type in 'cmd'. When the Command Prompt window loads, type in chkdsk c: /x /f /r

Since your main disk is active, you will be required to restart Windows in order for checkdisk to work.
Old 2007-08-10, 03:41   Link #13
toru310

You mean this?

@Jinto Lin
Remote desktop = complete control of computer..meaning you can even access the hard drive etc? I looked at some tutorials it says that you have to give a username password I.P.? isn't that a little confidential..? Don't mean to be rude..sorry..

Also I gave it a thought and it sounds convenient & a good Idea but theres also a big problem I'm Asian and our time lines in different..and it will be trouble some and can mess up our schedules..

As for diskdefragment I'll give it a go and disk cleanup as well..just have to set a schedule for it..

Last edited by toru310; 2007-08-10 at 04:10.
Old 2007-08-10, 06:59   Link #14
toru310

Side topic this maybe a little off the topic but when I uploaded my images in imageshack i accidentally clicked the ad because my mouse was kind of double clicking by it self so anyways it clicked the ad and now I have no Idea what threats or consequence it gives any ideas? At that time i was using my mozilla web browser.
Old 2007-08-10, 07:13   Link #15
TakutoKun
Mew Member
*IT Support

Quote:
Side topic this maybe a little off the topic but when I uploaded my images in imageshack i accidentally clicked the ad because my mouse was kind of double clicking by it self so anyways it clicked the ad and now I have no Idea what threats or consequence it gives any ideas? At that time i was using my mozilla web browser.
Unless you installed any programs or accepted ActiveX for that particular website, odds are you probably just downloaded a simple tracking cookie. You can get rid of this by deleting your cache or even, simply, using a program like Spybot Search & Destroy.

+ I do not see anything that is utilizing a ridiculous amount of memory. I am starting to believe that this issue is leading towards a memory, hard disk, or heat issue of some kind.

Also, regarding the "Remote Desktop," Windows makes it a bit easier than having to hand over your user name, password, and IP. If you to to START -> Help and Support Center. On this initial page, on the left-hand side, you will see under "Ask for Assistance" a spot to select "Invite a friend to connect to your computer with Remote Desktop." Click that and select "Invite someone to help you."

Once you have selected "Invite someone to help you," you will be offered to send the invitation through Windows Messenger or through e-mail. Select which method you want, let's say e-mail, and it will lead you through a process to send the invitation. Before you send it, you will be brought to a page "Remote Assiatnce - E-mail an Invitation."

Spoiler for Remote Assistance:

You will have to select a password for this invitation and communicate it with the person you want to connect to you. In addition to all of this, if you have a firewall, you will have to ensure that TCP 3389 is open and this is selected in "System Properties":

Spoiler for System Properties:

Last edited by TakutoKun; 2007-08-10 at 07:25.
Old 2007-08-10, 07:23   Link #16
toru310

Quote:
Originally Posted by matradley View Post
Unless you installed any programs or accepted ActiveX for that particular website, odds are you probably just downloaded a simple tracking cookie. You can get rid of this by deleting your cache or even, simply, using a program like Spybot Search & Destroy.
I see..Is it enough to just delete my history "today" because I have passwords saved in my cookies from yesterday and onwards

I have the latest version of firefox 2.0.0.6 and and ad on of adblock plus and program called spywareblaster updated..

So I just downloaded a tracking cookie?

In imageshack are there ads that can harm your computer??

Oh yeah this is the screen shot of some ads..does this contain tracking cookie as well?
Quote:
Old 2007-08-10, 07:27   Link #17
TakutoKun
Mew Member
*IT Support

Quote:
I see..Is it enough to just delete my history "today" because I have passwords saved in my cookies from yesterday and onwards

I have the latest version of firefox 2.0.0.6 and and ad on of adblock plus and program called spywareblaster updated..

So I just downloaded a tracking cookie?

In imageshack are there ads that can harm your computer??

Oh yeah this is the screen shot of some ads..does this contain tracking cookie as well?
You can delete the cookies for today if you wish. I would suggest downloading Sybot S&D to get rid of tracking cookies - http://www.safer-networking.org/ .
Old 2007-08-10, 13:23   Link #18
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Something that seems to improve Firefox's performance (and hence the rest of the applications) is to clear out the Downloads list periodically.

I also notice the OP is running a fair amount of "standby shit" which consumes memory allocation (it always annoys me when Quicktime, OpenOffice, etc doesn't *ask* me before installing not-necessary 'quickstart' resident crap in my system tray...

It may also be that the emulator you're running doesn't manage its memory well. Sometimes programmers don't remember to write their code so that it releases memory back to the OS, creating what is called a "Memory leak". Eventually the OS has no more memory to offer other applications because the errant program has it all allocated (even if it isn't actually using it).

A reboot clears the problem up til the next time you run the leaky program.
Games most frequently have this problem but it can be an issue with any incompletely tested software.
Old 2007-08-10, 13:41   Link #19
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

Quote:
@Jinto Lin
Remote desktop = complete control of computer..meaning you can even access the hard drive etc? I looked at some tutorials it says that you have to give a username password I.P.? isn't that a little confidential..? Don't mean to be rude..sorry..
Basically yes. That doesn't mean you cannot intervene. Its like two users using the PC at the same time and you can always disconnect from your side. Though I will further explain this in a PM once I have the time. Btw. you do not give your username and password, but you need to set a password for the remote session that I have to know before I can do the connection to your PC. And don't panic I would not look detailed into what you have on your drives... thats totally unnecessary for a PC "health" check.

Quote:
Also I gave it a thought and it sounds convenient & a good Idea but theres also a big problem I'm Asian and our time lines in different..and it will be trouble some and can mess up our schedules..
I guess once I am not so busy with my work (not before 3 weeks from now) this is not a problem, the worst case scenario is a difference of exactly 12 hours. And since I am usually 17 hours awake we will surely find a solution for this.

btw. to list all services you want to run "cmd" and then type the command "tasklist -svc". This will list all the tasks even those hidden services encapsulated in svchost processes. Then you just need to copy paste what is listed in the window and post it here (right click mouse -> choose select -> now a cursor is in the window -> hold the left mouse button and draw the rectangle selection area over the text you want to copy -> left click -> now the text is copied and you can paste wherever you like... either in an editor or directly in the forums)

here is an example from my system:

Code:
G:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\Administrator>tasklist -svc

Abbildname                  PID Dienste
========================= ===== =============================================
System Idle Process           0 Nicht zutreffend
System                        4 Nicht zutreffend
smss.exe                   1136 Nicht zutreffend
csrss.exe                  1220 Nicht zutreffend
winlogon.exe               1248 Nicht zutreffend
services.exe               1292 Eventlog, PlugPlay
lsass.exe                  1304 PolicyAgent, ProtectedStorage, SamSs
svchost.exe                1496 RpcSs
svchost.exe                1576 TermService
svchost.exe                1788 Dhcp, Dnscache
svchost.exe                1804 Alerter, LmHosts
svchost.exe                1816 AudioSrv, Browser, CryptSvc, dmserver,
                                EventSystem, helpsvc, lanmanserver,
                                lanmanworkstation, Netman, Nla, RasMan,
                                Schedule, seclogon, SENS, ShellHWDetection,
                                TrkWks, W32Time, winmgmt, wuauserv, WZCSVC
spoolsv.exe                 460 Spooler
msdtc.exe                   520 MSDTC
AdskScSrv.exe               624 Autodesk Licensing Service
avgamsvr.exe                652 Avg7Alrt
avgupsvc.exe                684 Avg7UpdSvc
avgemc.exe                  704 AVGEMS
CDANTSRV.EXE                728 C-DillaSrv
cmdagent.exe                744 CmdAgent
svchost.exe                 764 ERSvc
FAH504-Console.exe          788 FAH@G:+Programme+Folding@Home+FAH504-Console.
                                exe
mdm.exe                     816 MDM
nvsvc32.exe                 876 NVSvc
cygrunsrv.exe               980 OpenSSHd
svchost.exe                1124 RemoteRegistry
sfmgr.exe                  1196 sfmgr
sshd.exe                   1200 Nicht zutreffend
StarWindServiceAE.exe      1884 StarWindServiceAE
ViewpointService.exe       2008 Viewpoint Manager Service
DXDebugService.exe          276 DXDebug
dfssvc.exe                 1548 Dfs
wmiprvse.exe               1708 Nicht zutreffend
ViewMgr.exe                2208 Nicht zutreffend
explorer.exe               3288 Nicht zutreffend
TSVNCache.exe              3756 Nicht zutreffend
sstray.exe                  380 Nicht zutreffend
avgcc.exe                  1388 Nicht zutreffend
rundll32.exe               2108 Nicht zutreffend
svchost.exe                1672 TapiSrv
Vsc32Cnf.exe               2212 Nicht zutreffend
vscvol.exe                 2260 Nicht zutreffend
remoterm.exe               2388 Nicht zutreffend
ctfmon.exe                 2408 Nicht zutreffend
msmsgs.exe                 2488 Nicht zutreffend
firefox.exe                3932 Nicht zutreffend
FahCore_78.exe              940 Nicht zutreffend
cmd.exe                    2372 Nicht zutreffend
IEXPLORE.EXE               1436 Nicht zutreffend
wmiprvse.exe                960 Nicht zutreffend
tasklist.exe               2004 Nicht zutreffend

G:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\Administrator>
Old 2007-08-10, 18:31   Link #20
TakutoKun
Mew Member
*IT Support

Jinto Lin: I was trying to remember "tasklist -svc" but it would not come back! Thanks for your input.