AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2009-11-04, 12:05   Link #21
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Send a message via AIM to RadiantBeam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Rick View Post
Well, it's the director of Pirates of the Caribean. That may be something.
Pirates of the Caribbean, huh? Well, consider me intrigued.
Old 2009-11-04, 16:08   Link #22
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
Quote:
Well, it's the director of Pirates of the Caribean. That may be something.

Although it's true that the only movie based on a videogame who was good has been "Silent Hill", perhaps we should wait to see the movie coming out instead of being so... negative.
Don't forget the first Mortal Kombat movie with Chris Lambert from "Highlander"

And the fact that the one directing the movie is the one who worked on PotC makes me even more disappointed with what this movie's going to be. The first one may have been good, but what followed was pure, absolute, fanservice trash. The only reason the whole series is considered good is because it's a cashcow.

On top of that, the first PotC movie was an original storyline. This is an adaptation condensing all three games in one. Nothing good will come of that when you consider how movies often fail to condense plot elements into a movie. Look at how bad the Harry Potter and LotR movies are. They tried condensing so much material from each of the books respectively that they didn't do the books justice. Anyone who thinks a movie condensing not one, but three separate storylines creating one ultimate plot should reconsider.
Tsuyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-04, 17:30   Link #23
Gin
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoko Takeo View Post
The first one may have been good, but what followed was pure, absolute, fanservice trash. The only reason the whole series is considered good is because it's a cashcow.
There was also the zomg Johnny Depp and Orlando Bloom are sooooo sexy aspect
Quote:
Look at how bad the Harry Potter and LotR movies are. They tried condensing so much material from each of the books respectively that they didn't do the books justice. Anyone who thinks a movie condensing not one, but three separate storylines creating one ultimate plot should reconsider.
I thought the LotR movies were actually decent movies, but I do agree that Harry Potter has been butchered by the movies, but that's not just not being able to condense the books into movies, its the fact that most of the actors simply can't play the roles they are cast into.
Old 2009-11-04, 17:50   Link #24
Xacual

I am disappointed by the trailer but I kind of want to go find my Sands of Time game now...

I was influenced by a certain group overflowing with madness and started trying to write a story. Please give it a try. Crashed into Fantasy
Xacual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-04, 22:52   Link #25
Evil Rick
Black Dragon
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Don't forget the first Mortal Kombat movie with Chris Lambert from "Highlander"
Oh, true, true, how could I forget the first movie of Mortal Kombat? That was a good movie based on the first videogame of Mortal Kombat. (jumped a bit out of the official story line but it was really good)

Quote:
And the fact that the one directing the movie is the one who worked on PotC makes me even more disappointed with what this movie's going to be. The first one may have been good, but what followed was pure, absolute, fanservice trash. The only reason the whole series is considered good is because it's a cashcow.
I do agree that "At world's end" has lots of "WTF's?" but I still find it good with really awesome fight scenes. I really liked "Dead's man chest" and "The Curse of the Black Pearl" also.

Now, as you pointed, in Prince of Percia the director has a story to adapt. The treailer doesn't seem to have the plot of "Sands of Time" cause in the game the only human characters were the Prince, Fhara and the Visyr.

This obviously tells that the movie is jumping out of the official story which could be bad but it also could be good. (For example, take the plot changed on the Silent Hill movie from the videogame in which they turned Dhalia into a good mother and added a new villan to surprise the audience and it turned out good.)

Quote:
On top of that, the first PotC movie was an original storyline. This is an adaptation condensing all three games in one. Nothing good will come of that when you consider how movies often fail to condense plot elements into a movie. Look at how bad the Harry Potter and LotR movies are. They tried condensing so much material from each of the books respectively that they didn't do the books justice. Anyone who thinks a movie condensing not one, but three separate storylines creating one ultimate plot should reconsider.
I agree that the Harry Potter movies are turning odd. But I really like dthe Lord of the Rings thrilogy.

If they're gonn merge the 3 Prince of Percia games into one movie, the reslut may be truly, not good, although, the movie is named "The Sands of Time", which means it may be just based on the firs game and take some elements from the other two.
Old 2009-11-05, 01:27   Link #26
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Quote:
Oh, true, true, how could I forget the first movie of Mortal Kombat? That was a good movie based on the first videogame of Mortal Kombat. (jumped a bit out of the official story line but it was really good)
Suddenly, I wanna watch that one again

Quote:
I do agree that "At world's end" has lots of "WTF's?" but I still find it good with really awesome fight scenes. I really liked "Dead's man chest" and "The Curse of the Black Pearl" also.
Well, the only one that was really good was the first one. The second one had good fight scenes but that's all it had. It didn't have the same spark to it as the first. Even though the cast didn't change, it still felt like a poor imitation.

Quote:
Now, as you pointed, in Prince of Percia the director has a story to adapt. The treailer doesn't seem to have the plot of "Sands of Time" cause in the game the only human characters were the Prince, Fhara and the Visyr.

This obviously tells that the movie is jumping out of the official story which could be bad but it also could be good. (For example, take the plot changed on the Silent Hill movie from the videogame in which they turned Dhalia into a good mother and added a new villan to surprise the audience and it turned out good.)
I'm not gonna say that the director decided to change Farah's and Zervan's names because I've already said it before but throughout the entire trilogy, those three actually were the only human characters. The rest had at the most a human appearance, like Kaihleena and Shadee.

Quote:
I agree that the Harry Potter movies are turning odd. But I really like dthe Lord of the Rings thrilogy.

If they're gonn merge the 3 Prince of Percia games into one movie, the reslut may be truly, not good, although, the movie is named "The Sands of Time", which means it may be just based on the firs game and take some elements from the other two.
Yeah, most people don't agree with me that the LotR movies were pretty bad even if they read the book. It's just my take on it that there were a lot of things that were in the books that the movies skipped out on.

As for the movie, it may be called "Sands of Time" but incorporating elements of the other two games is just wrong because it's changing the story of the intire trilogy to make something new and bland. The Dark Prince won't be so Dark anymore, for instance, and that's not gonna bode well for the movie.
Old 2009-11-05, 01:43   Link #27
Evil Rick
Black Dragon
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
As for the movie, it may be called "Sands of Time" but incorporating elements of the other two games is just wrong because it's changing the story of the intire trilogy to make something new and bland. The Dark Prince won't be so Dark anymore, for instance, and that's not gonna bode well for the movie.
Yeah, that's true, Like in the second Movie of Mortal Kombat (Mortal Kombat Anihilation) the movie was supossed to be based on Mortal Kombat 3 but they dragged elements and characters from Mortal Kombat 4 (Shinok as example), the result was terrible, not to mention all the characters who appear from Mortal Kombat 2 and 3 without any explication or presentation. (Baraka, Mileena, Smoke, Cyrax, Noob Saibot, etc...)

You have a point there. Drag elements from future plots in the game's story line may turn out to be really, really bad. Let's hope they don't make these mistakes.
Old 2009-11-05, 02:07   Link #28
james0246

^Wow, the Mortal Kombat games had characters...who'd a thunk....

That being said, why is everyone in such a tizzy over this. It's not like Prince of Persia had a "deep" storyline, especially not the newer games. It had somewhat complex characters, yes, but the story they inhabited was simply a super sleek and exciting platformer with some decent puzzles mixed in (When I told my sister that the games were being turned into a film, her immediate response was to wonder who would be the actor that slowly had their shirt peeled away during each act of the story...that brief example should tell what a certain segment of the audience is automatically looking for in a Prince of Persia movie ). In other words, this isn't Mass Effect, or some other large game with a large story. So, anyone looking for a film adaptation should have immediately lowered their expectations in regards to story.

Then again, I could be simplifying things too much. I would undoubtedly be very upset if a Half-Life film was made, and only the intense action was focused on (in regards to the adapted story) leaving aside the complex characters and deceptively deep story.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-05, 02:43   Link #29
Solais
Youkai of Coincidence

Well, what's if the story differs? It's not like the games weren't reinvented at least two times. And also, Jordan Mechner, the original creator of the PoP games were involved writing it's story.

"According to Mechner, "Rather than do a straight beat-for-beat adaptation of the new videogame, we're taking some cool elements from the game and using them to craft a new story.""
Solais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-05, 02:53   Link #30
james0246

^Exactly. This is an adaptation (and an adaptation for a series that already didn't particularly have "deep" storylines), so of course some things will be altered.

In other words, while trepidation is fine, a wait and see attitude would probably be best. The trailer looks decent, the banter is still pleasant, and much of the acrobatics, etc, has been preserved (even if it is Maggie's brother "performing" such stunts...), so this could very well turn into a title that will exceed our expectations...as so long as we do not have too high of an expectation .
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-05, 17:13   Link #31
Shinoto
Rollin' Like A Boss

It's not Gore Verbinski directing it...the guy who directed the pirate films.
Old 2009-11-05, 17:34   Link #32
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solais View Post
Well, what's if the story differs? It's not like the games weren't reinvented at least two times. And also, Jordan Mechner, the original creator of the PoP games were involved writing it's story.

"According to Mechner, "Rather than do a straight beat-for-beat adaptation of the new videogame, we're taking some cool elements from the game and using them to craft a new story.""
If that's true, I hope he does something good and not just some kind of fanservice for people like james0246' sister who only wants to see him with his shirt off (no offense to her, she's perfectly entitled to her opinion as anyone else is. I just think there's more to PoP than a hot guy with no shirt and plenty of fight action). What makes me doubt how good this movie's gonna is that for the first time since PoP was ever made, the Prince has a name. We never saw that before. It's as if he's taking a lot of elements from the games, creating a new storyline and slapping Prince of Persia's title on the movie.
Old 2009-11-05, 18:04   Link #33
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinoto View Post
It's not Gore Verbinski directing it...the guy who directed the pirate films.
Indeed whoever stated that was wrong, it is simply being produced by the same person who produced the Pirate movies (Jerry Bruckheimer).
GuidoHunter_Toki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-06, 21:32   Link #34
Evil Rick
Black Dragon
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoHunter_Toki View Post
Indeed whoever stated that was wrong, it is simply being produced by the same person who produced the Pirate movies (Jerry Bruckheimer).
Guilty!

My bad, I missunderstood Director with Producer. XP
Old 2009-11-11, 15:00   Link #35
Jill Valentine

This is Horibble what the hell are they thinking, they will again ruin the video game with this movie, stupid just stupid how hollywood wants to earn money, they think by ruining the game and making it into a movie will be a succes as the game itself, Wrong And omg for the actor they chose to be the prince, he doesent even look like prince.

Btw does anyone know the real name of prince in the game? i've searched but i couldnt find it.. Sorry if this is off topic
Jill Valentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-11, 16:19   Link #36
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuppy Cake View Post
Btw does anyone know the real name of prince in the game? i've searched but i couldnt find it.. Sorry if this is off topic
That's the whole point. The Prince was never mentioned by name in any of the games, not even in the very first game for PC. Everyone referred to him as "The Prince" and nothing else. The fact he's been given a name here is what makes the movie nothing but a cheap imitation and travesty.
Old 2009-11-12, 12:21   Link #37
Royal_Devil
Powder Hunter

They should just concentrate on adapting the first game instead of all three in one. The second one was a travesty compared to the first and the third felt like it was trying too hard to be like the first while still not getting it right.
Old 2009-11-12, 20:07   Link #38
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Most of fans remember prince in present day due to its trilogy . But being old school here this game brings nostalgia and transports back into the time of Digger Dave and Prince . Prince was the first PC game I was totally hooked on to . I remember as a kid I used to hog my dad's PC on Sunday afternoons and do nothing but Play Prince . Heck even remember Prince 3D/Color .

But this movie is based on the modern trilogy its good to see the old elements and theme are still there . The rushes or trailer seems like a mish mash of POTR LOTR and Mummy ... yeah I get strong Mummy vibes too . Also the CG team were they shared by Diablo because the resembalance is quite striking to the Desert City in Diablo 3 (Cinematic) . Jake Gyllenhaal fits the role of Prince perfectly liked the little homages scattered in the movie . Also the Chemistry between Jake & Gemma looks solid , Gemma Arterton, seems to have grown by leaps and bounds from Solace.

Overall looks promising I like the swash buckling adventure and magic elements in this movie . Definitely will check it out in theaters as opposed to DVD

Old 2009-11-12, 21:55   Link #39
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Assassins creed movie > PoP movie

altho i would kill for a Armored Core movie
Old 2009-11-18, 06:02   Link #40
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyero Fox View Post
Assassins creed movie > PoP movie

altho i would kill for a Armored Core movie
QFT. The assasssin's creed movie was awesome. I can't wait for the game now, more than ever! =D