Notices

Old 2019-04-08, 07:45   Link #21
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Testify!
What's the problem with that seiyu? I'm honestly just asking, not trolling.

BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-08, 08:36   Link #22
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
What's the problem with that seiyu? I'm honestly just asking, not trolling.
I just happen to think he's not a very good actor. I realize "annoying voice" is a subjective thing, so leave that off - he has no range. He plays every character the same. He has no sense of comic timing, and no ability to emote. For me, he's really the one seiyuu out there who can single-handedly take a show down multiple levels. In the right sort of role (Satoru from SSY being the best example) he can be a net neutral. But he's so totally wrong for Touma that I fear the worst.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-08, 09:53   Link #23
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I just happen to think he's not a very good actor. I realize "annoying voice" is a subjective thing, so leave that off - he has no range.
Looking him up now, I can say I'm really only familiar with his work from Attack on Titan and My Hero Academia. Then again, I actually laughed out loud at some of his character's scenes in One Punch Man, but that could have nothing to do with his performance... Oh, well. We all have our preferences, right?

BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-08, 12:20   Link #24
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

It really is just down to preferences.

I remember when I first heard him as Walker in Durarara!! He was my favourite character in a show full of great characters. Then I heard him again as Nekomiya in Okami-San and Her Seven Companions and thought he was great and hilarious there too. Two very small roles and very different characters where he immediately made an impression. I was impressed when I later realised it was the same actor. I've never once been disappointed in a role he's played since. He's a great actor. He's also one of the few that actually has a convincing "young boy" voice as well. The other brother in this show just sounds like an adult and it's kinda weird.

Last edited by Haak; 2019-04-08 at 12:32.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-09, 01:47   Link #25
ditn

Classic story and me getting confused because characters always look same

Nice to have a follow up to touch, def watching this.
ditn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-10, 11:56   Link #26
anime fan99

Who is the main love interest Sister or coach daughter
Old 2019-04-13, 09:55   Link #27
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Otomi english VA is HHHNNNNGGGGGGG! And I messed up, now is chapter 3. Meaning they're adapting Mix SUPER SLOW. Any word on how many episodes? I'm not even sure they'll make it to HS at this rate...

Yeah yeah, certain character in OP only appears in HS. But by the looks of it, Mix isn't going to be just one cour, but I do wonder what the official count is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anime fan99 View Post
Who is the main love interest Sister or coach daughter
I definitely don't know what you talking about. Nope, no siree.

Talking about LIs, one has to wonder if Adachi will pair the main 4 up. Considering Sou can't be with Otomi, it's practically guaranteed it will be TouXOtomi and SouXLong-Haired girl.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-13, 10:01   Link #28
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Really enjoyed the second episode. It reminded that Adachi's dialogues and character interactions really have a unique flair to them. I think Yuki Kaji is doing a fine job, but the one impressing me the most is Maaya Uchida. Her delivery is great, and she makes Otomi sound really lovely.

I guess this time we won't have to worry about the brothers competing over the same girl. We can't discount the possibility they'll both fall for the girl voiced by HanaKana, but Touma seems destined to end up with Otomi. It's plain to see.

I loved the explanation for why Otomi named the puppy Punch. Adachi told her in a dream
And puppy Punch really is cute.
Old 2019-04-13, 10:30   Link #29
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Touma x Otomi is pretty creepy, even if they're not blood related.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-13, 18:35   Link #30
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
That kind of thing doesn't even make me bat an eye anymore.
Old 2019-04-13, 19:21   Link #31
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Really enjoyed the second episode. It reminded that Adachi's dialogues and character interactions really have a unique flair to them. I think Yuki Kaji is doing a fine job, but the one impressing me the most is Maaya Uchida. Her delivery is great, and she makes Otomi sound really lovely.

I guess this time we won't have to worry about the brothers competing over the same girl. We can't discount the possibility they'll both fall for the girl voiced by HanaKana, but Touma seems destined to end up with Otomi. It's plain to see.

I loved the explanation for why Otomi named the puppy Punch. Adachi told her in a dream
And puppy Punch really is cute.
Maaya Uchida is the standout of the cast so far for me. As for Kaji he seems to be using his dialed-down mode here, which tends to make him more a neutral influence than a deal-breaker. If that keeps up I'll definitely take it.

Adachi's self-inserts and puns, oy... They're as much a part of his charms as same-face protagonists. The flashback sequence with Touma and Otomi and the doll was what made me fall in love with the manga in the first place - it's classic Adachi brilliance. Whatever you think of step-sibling shipping, that scene was heartfelt and really poignant.
Old 2019-04-13, 20:14   Link #32
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
I personally don't mind it, since they're basically childhood friends living under the same roof. In my mind, it really isn't that much different from Touch since Minami/Katsuya/Tatsuya pretty much spent more time in the house shed, than they actually do at their own home.

That, and also Miyuki has been out for almost 40 years now. Weirder things have been out already...

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-14, 03:31   Link #33
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

The Mix premiere broke into the animation ratings top 10, which is great, and a reminder of just how popular Touch was on TV.

For reference - Mix pulled a 3.7. Sazae-san, which was #1 (as it almost always is) pulled a 13.5.

Touch? It averaged over a 30 over 101 weeks.
Old 2019-04-14, 09:31   Link #34
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

One thing I really love about how Adachi creates dialogue between characters is how much of what the apparent intention in the words between characters seem vague or unclear the viewer/reader, but is very much clear between the characters who are conversing. The characters never really spell it out clear cut with the intention for the viewer/reader to understand because it would be so evidently unnatural as a conversation between characters. The characters are made to speak to each other without really caring that people beyond the fourth wall will be able to comprehend. The viewer/reader then needs to infer and read between the lines.

Case in point was that little exchange between team captain and Touma. Captain never makes it clear that he endorses or condemns the brothers' secret pitching practice, but Touma clearly understands what he means as the captain walks away. It's patently obvious that he doesn't mind what the two brothers do, even if he may not necessarily approve of it, but if you look at it further it probably seems that he's known they've been doing this for a while already and just lets the brothers do as they will.

Just like in previous works, subtext is everything.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-14, 09:55   Link #35
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
One thing I really love about how Adachi creates dialogue between characters is how much of what the apparent intention in the words between characters seem vague or unclear the viewer/reader, but is very much clear between the characters who are conversing. The characters never really spell it out clear cut with the intention for the viewer/reader to understand because it would be so evidently unnatural as a conversation between characters. The characters are made to speak to each other without really caring that people beyond the fourth wall will be able to comprehend. The viewer/reader then needs to infer and read between the lines.

Case in point was that little exchange between team captain and Touma. Captain never makes it clear that he endorses or condemns the brothers' secret pitching practice, but Touma clearly understands what he means as the captain walks away. It's patently obvious that he doesn't mind what the two brothers do, even if he may not necessarily approve of it, but if you look at it further it probably seems that he's known they've been doing this for a while already and just lets the brothers do as they will.

What it sounded like to me was that he didn't want to be responsible for anything. He didn't want to be a "bad guy", complicit in the stifling of talented baseball players. But he didn't want to get in the way of his friend doing the stifling, whether it's because of friendship or the money it brings to the team. Strictly neutral ass covering, though I suppose it means something he said it to the brothers.
Old 2019-04-14, 10:07   Link #36
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post

That’s a very good way of putting it.
Old 2019-04-14, 10:30   Link #37
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
I personally don't mind it, since they're basically childhood friends living under the same roof. In my mind, it really isn't that much different from Touch since Minami/Katsuya/Tatsuya pretty much spent more time in the house shed, than they actually do at their own home.

That, and also Miyuki has been out for almost 40 years now. Weirder things have been out already...
Yeah, to me it feels like they're just another pair of childhood friends. And with their mother explaining to the whole neighborhood that they're not related by blood, it shouldn't cause any problem.
Old 2019-04-14, 10:44   Link #38
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Yeah, to me it feels like they're just another pair of childhood friends. And with their mother explaining to the whole neighborhood that they're not related by blood, it shouldn't cause any problem.
Aaaand that's another thing that's messed up for me. An upset child telling his parent "you're not my real mother" is one thing. A parent doing it to the child, apparently just for kicks, making sure the whole neighborhood knows he's not her real child? That's another.
Old 2019-04-14, 11:06   Link #39
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

It depends on what the child thinks though. Not every foster child is going to give a damn about this sort of thing and it doesn't seem as if Touma cares that much. Besides, people are already curious about the fact that the "twins" share the same birthday yet they don't even look related (informed attribute because in the Adachi world, everybody looks related to one another). She probably just doesn't want any nasty rumours to take shape and people to start prying into their past without tact.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-14, 18:15   Link #40
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

What she does seem fairly innocuous to me. She tells everyone because she thinks it's a really interesting story, and it actually is. And it does indeed prevent weird rumors.

Tags
adachi mitsuru, baseball, sports