AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2014-07-26, 20:56   Link #1361
Mister Twit

Wasn't Korra banished from Republic City anyway? Kind of odd that nobody brought it up when they were supposedly going to take her back there.
Mister Twit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-26, 21:18   Link #1362
ellifeedn
Thinker

Lin would probably stick her on Airbender Island or in the police station.
ellifeedn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-27, 12:03   Link #1363
Kumagawa

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangakid95 View Post
Best episode of the season so far. I love that siege Zaheer & Co. put up against everyone, it looked really cool.

Also, I'm afraid we won't be able to take them 100% seriously. Have you all noticed despite how "dangerous" these guys are, no one dies when confronting them?

Also, it has been confirmed. He was Magmabending, which came as a shock tbh. I thought it was an advanced firebending technique, but it seems to an advanced earthbending style or it could possibly apply to both firebenders & earthbenders.

The only other magmabender we've seen in action is a past avatar. Sad part is that we don't know which element he was manipulating when he magmabended. The only clue we have is that he's from the fire nation.

EDIT: The guys on the wiki don't waste time. Someone already edited the article. lol

http://avatar.wikia.com/wiki/Special...ing_techniques
Imprisoned in the fire nation and when he broke out is was because Zaheer threw him earth. We also see him use regular earth bending but no regular fire bending.

If water benders can use ice and steam which requires changing the temperature of water then lava bending is earth bending as it's changing the temperature of earth.
Kumagawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-27, 14:50   Link #1364
DMurphy

Yeah, I've seen people elsewhere going 'How can he lavabend? You can't just generate magma!' But, er, magma is just melted earth, and we've seen Waterbenders changed water to ice and steam before, and Firebenders change their fire from cooler forms (yellow fire) to hotter forms (blue fire). Magmabending is just an extension of the same principle for Earthbending.

Latest Review: Psycho-Pass 2 and Legend of Korra
DMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-27, 15:54   Link #1365
ellifeedn
Thinker

From the way Bolin describes it, magmabending sounds rather rare.
Old 2014-07-27, 16:01   Link #1366
MK-95-
Best Girl Connoisseur

^So rare, it was thought to be an Avatar exclusive ability because they utilized both earth & firebending to perform it. This guy threw that speculation out the window by proving you can perform it utilizing only earthbending.
"When there is evil in this world that justice cannot defeat, would you taint your hands with evil to defeat evil? Or would you remain steadfast and righteous even if it means surrendering to evil?" - Lelouch vi Britannia as Zero.
MK-95- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-27, 16:04   Link #1367
DMurphy

Quote:
^So rare, it was thought to be an Avatar exclusive ability because they utilized both earth & firebending to perform it. This guy threw that speculation out the window by proving you can perform it utilizing only earthbending.
I don't think it's ever been said that in-universe it was thought to be Avatar exclusive. We'd just only ever seen Avatars perform it (and even then, it was never made clear if they were combining firebending and earthbending), so it was assumed by fans to be Avatar exclusive.

You can definitely see why it'd be rare: Water changes state at the drop of a hat, but earth is a lot more difficult to melt, but it does just logically follow that very skilled Earthbenders would be able to do it.

Latest Review: Psycho-Pass 2 and Legend of Korra
DMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-27, 16:12   Link #1368
MK-95-
Best Girl Connoisseur

The reason it was thought to be exclusive is because all examples before this guy were demonstrated by avatars. Also, two of the four known examples (Unknown fire avatar, Kyoshi, Roku & Aang) were fire nation born avatars. So that kinda lent to the speculation that there was some firebending involved. However, now that we've seen an earthbender perform it, we can shoot the firebending theory out the window.

But what if there's a twist & a firebender can perform it meaning there's a multibending technique? (For lack of a better word. I simply mean an ability shared between two different kinds of bending)

Side note: Earthbenders get to have the most OP & fun advanced bending abilities. Come on, metal & magmabending? That's really no fair to the other three elements. lol
"When there is evil in this world that justice cannot defeat, would you taint your hands with evil to defeat evil? Or would you remain steadfast and righteous even if it means surrendering to evil?" - Lelouch vi Britannia as Zero.
Old 2014-07-27, 16:17   Link #1369
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

I figured that the Avatars that used bent lava before simply used firebending to melt rocks than bend the lava. IMO, the guy from the Red Lotus seemingly used pressure to turn rocks into lava, which is pretty interesting.

That's one of the things I like about Avatar, you can see how bending involves alongside scientific knowledge.

Illusion, illusion, this is illusion. It cannot harm me.
Endscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-27, 16:44   Link #1370
ellifeedn
Thinker

Seeing who is involved with Red Lotus, I think a lightningbender will be shown.
Old 2014-07-27, 17:14   Link #1371
sergel02

Quote:
The reason it was thought to be exclusive is because all examples before this guy were demonstrated by avatars. Also, two of the four known examples (Unknown fire avatar, Kyoshi, Roku & Aang) were fire nation born avatars. So that kinda lent to the speculation that there was some firebending involved. However, now that we've seen an earthbender perform it, we can shoot the firebending theory out the window.

But what if there's a twist & a firebender can perform it meaning there's a multibending technique? (For lack of a better word. I simply mean an ability shared between two different kinds of bending)

Side note: Earthbenders get to have the most OP & fun advanced bending abilities. Come on, metal & magmabending? That's really no fair to the other three elements. lol
Particularly since waterbenders still need a source of water.
sergel02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-28, 05:38   Link #1372
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

I dunno, combustion bending is kinda powerful as well.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-28, 09:33   Link #1373
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
I dunno, combustion bending is kinda powerful as well.
So is lightningbending. Like I said above, as scientific knowledge increases, so does the variety of bending.

Firebending has a lot of potential in this area, we've seen Varrick with his magnetic suit, I can imagine magnetbending becoming a thing, plus all sorts of other stuff.

Illusion, illusion, this is illusion. It cannot harm me.
Endscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-28, 09:56   Link #1374
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Not sure about magnetbending. Well unless you actually have a makeshift electromagnet powered by lightningbending... But if you can make an electromagnet powered by lightningbending... you might as well just make one powered by a battery.
Old 2014-07-28, 10:04   Link #1375
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

Maybe when Korra goes Avatar state again she will improvise a new bending
Old 2014-07-29, 04:00   Link #1376
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

I don't think the Avatar State can do stuff like that anymore. Remember she doesn't have any past Avatars to rely on.
Old 2014-07-29, 12:14   Link #1377
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

Well, she did show that weird power in the season 2 finale.
Old 2014-07-29, 19:13   Link #1378
Kumagawa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellifeedn View Post
From the way Bolin describes it, magmabending sounds rather rare.
Or just like with Metal bending people were to lazy to properly try. If 1 in 100 earth benders can metal bend it's not a rare ability it's just not instinctual like normal earth bending.
Kumagawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-29, 19:20   Link #1379
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaterasu4 View Post
Well, she did show that weird power in the season 2 finale.
That wasn't the avatar state.
Old 2014-07-29, 20:23   Link #1380
MK-95-
Best Girl Connoisseur

I'm still holding onto that little glimmer of hope that she may be able to reconnect to her previous lives at some point in this book or the final one. Come on, are we really gonna end off LoK without seeing any of the old avatars?

It'd be cool to see her manifest as Aang or some other previous avatar, similar to what Aang did when he manifested as both Roku & Kiyoshi.

Tags
avatar the last airbender, korra