AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Code Geass

Notices

Old 2006-09-30, 07:09   Link #41
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

Anyone catch the Special? I didn't understand much of it but it looks good all the same. As a Brit I'm kind of interested in where this Britannia Empire comes from. Is it the future UK or a conglomerate of UK, Europe and US? Even the flag looks a little like the Union Jack. However I find it rather comforting to know that in Code Geass's alternate future setting Pizza Hut is still in operation lol. Maybe it's the dawn of in-anime advertising...

Did anyone find the auditions a tad disturbing? Those poor wannabe seiyuus. Of-course looking good in a bikini and being able to unicycle is key to being a good voice actress. In Japan
Sonhex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-30, 07:14   Link #42
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Hmm....seen the Geass Special, nothing that outstanding really. It basically gives us some gist on what is Code Geass about (( 2 best friends, one soldier, one civilian different sides of war, saves a mysterious girl, is given 'teh mysterious powah', etc )), stock mecha anime stuff. Though the chess analogies does make me wonder if they intend to pursue the relatively untouched theme of GSD's parellel's to chess. Aside from that, it looks like it's be a decent show altogether.

The seiyuu audition,B-Girl was hilarious.

Teriyuki wins the Special for being awesome.

"ISN'T A ZAKU!!"
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-30, 12:33   Link #43
JarOfMayo

The special was interesting...

I like Ruruju Ran-peruju~ lol such a cool name... I think its another one of those rebellious Char Aznable names.

Sounds like it has a interesting premise and interesting chars. Only ... well not all that much is really said and I'm wondering how Ruruju's school mates and other relationships are. lol @ when the seiyuu for Ruruju said he gets the bad-guy vibe from Ruruju.

Also there is zero hint at what the mysterious "powah" is.

B-girl contest... uhhh what? I hate exploitation... lol
JarOfMayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-30, 21:37   Link #44
wao
OK.

You can call him Lelouch if you like... although I think Ruluju/Ruruju looks better than Lelouch (reminds me too much of... I dunno, leech)

(Leleech)

I haven't watched the special but going by the comments I'll give it a pass and actually do some studying for that bio exam tomorrow... I'm not interested in seeing the poor girls have to do so much just to be seiyuu. It makes the whoel thing seem more like a world of idols rather than about honest acting, but oh well...
Though I'll eventually watch it before the show airs to hear FLOW's song

EDIT: Ooh, I just found something interesting... I wish I could read the rest of this article with regards as to why this is at 2 am, but from what little is there, I think we were guessing on the right track... Seiji Takeda (producer of SEED and FMA, notice they conveniently leave out DESTINY and Blood+ of course) wanted to create an anime with a worldview modeled after the Cold War phenomenon between USA and the Soviet Union, but was promptly told "A Cold War setting is just way too outdated, and it isn't relevant to current times. You sure you can write a "revolution" based on such settings?" - a rather blunt "No".
From then on it was right back to the drawing board where he extensively reworked his planning and made the decision to shift his plan from the 6pm slot to the late-night slot, effectively extending the viewership to not the intended core of people in their "high teens", but adults as well. In order to add depth to the story he decided to emphasize on the aspect of "Picaresque Roman(ce)". Suzaku, who was originally just supposed to be Lelouch's close friend, got rewritten into a soldier of the Imperial forces. He also asked CLAMP to rework the character designs. (the rest isn't really relevant)

This is a transcript of that bit
Spoiler for not a spoiler:

So originally this was intended to be a doroku thing.

Last edited by wao; 2006-09-30 at 22:56.
wao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-30, 22:55   Link #45
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

The mysterious power in Lelouch's eye reeks of SEED. GEASS Mode? LOL.

As it stands, Code Geass is giving me Eureka 7 + Gundam SEED vibes, which isn't neccesarily a bad thing.

I'm calling Lelouch Luluch Lampard G for now.
Old 2006-10-01, 00:34   Link #46
wao
OK.

Okay, I gave up trying to vomit yet another essay on protein active sites and 3D conformations so I watched the Code Geass preview thing...

Actually, I think I'll lower my expectations of the show now... Maybe you'll disagree but to me, it just seems like it's trying too hard to be similar to SEED. And the preview was, in one word, pimporama. Of course you'd expect it to be like that, but they really showed off the commercial clout that everyone has in that show by showing how they could *gasp* show clips from other anime and Gundam models because it's Sunrise. (But yay! Planetes!!) In other words it felt like they were overhyping it too much. You know it's gotten down to ridiculous when they're happily showing the stupidity of all those idols getting interviewed in a bikini and doing totally irrelevant things and making it look like a good thing. Shucks.

The thing is Suzaku and Lelouch's relationship is REALLY hinting very strongly at Kira and Athrun. I think they realised that many fans enjoyed that aspect of SEED more than anything else and are capitalising on it to create a similar reaction to this show.

I agree about what someone said regarding the seiyuu - don't waste Sakurai on a good guy! If you've got someone like Lelouch you should have him voice him. (I hope this means they'll do something like totally swap their characters aroudn halfway through the show or something, though) I like Sakurai though...

I guses I'd be happier if they didn't have the whole 'mystical girl suddenly appears!!1" aspect. Already I want to kick CC out of the show, it's so tiredly cliche I thought they'd start phasing it out of mainstream shows by now but nooope...

Well, despite them claiming that it's a "show with reality like no other", I kind of doubt it, really. Just look at the ruler of Britannia (or his son or whoever) - it's so anime-like and overdressed and overdramatic... Surely he could have toned down a bit and instead delivered his drama in more subtle, effective ways like eye movement or convincing gestures? Nope, they can't do that... I don't know if they could sensibly and fairly portray terrorism and the mindsets supporting it as wel as those against it.

But... after all I'm an anime fan and I can enjoy these things so instead I'll try to just enjoy it as a fun show - don't think, feel... squee over Lelouch every now and then... One interesting thing is how Taniguchi said that anyone should be able to find someone in the anime who they can empathize with. Hope the one I like doesn't die tragically while the ones I hate live on.

FLOW's song sounded good - the "punch" soudned a bit too much like the one for Eureka 7 though, but hey, it's probably going to be stuck in my head anyway. The opening animation to this must surely be very good .

I guess I sound awfully negative, but at least it'll definitely have decent production values, and it'll be fun. (Generically speaking) If it can't even be fun then that's utter failure but I doubt it'll be that. Surely will be 1000x better than Blood+.
I suppose my disappointment probably stems from my "base-expectations-too-much-off-staff" attitude which more often than not will lead to disappointment. But with the Okouchi/Taniguchi combi I really was hoping for something new - guess the producer influence and demands still holds out strong. Hope we'll see something really good show through as the show airs though.

As an omake here is a hanken drawn by Yuriko Chiba. I wish they gave her the character designing from the start, she would have interpreted CLAMP's designs better than the (IMO) overglossy, over-SEED-esque designs of Takahiro Kimura...

Oh yes, like Nightingale said, the whole power-coming-from-Lelouch's eye is so reminiscent of SEED that I... well... sigh. Well, 5 weeks later we'll see if I completely rescind my statements and hail Taniguchi as God, or I give up on this show. :P
Old 2006-10-01, 00:52   Link #47
JarOfMayo

When I was trying to write his name I was too lazy to load up the series page to double check. lol all i did was watch the part where he said his full name a couple times over.

So its Lelouch for sure... but... ranperuuji...taking what the makers considered L's instead of R's... Lanpeluji... mmmm Lanpeloush? Lanpeluge?

Well basically I guess its "Le"-"Lew""shu" ... "Lan""Pe" "Ruuji" Like how Strike "Rouge"(Ruuju) is said... close to like how "luge"(Ryuju) (the sport) sounds. Just at the end its "ji" instead of "ju".

(Lelouch Lanpelouji) I guess.... lol JP and their katakana usage and whatever they come up in English for it is insane... and defies common sense very often. lol
JarOfMayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-01, 02:49   Link #48
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Looking back, I find it funny (( or sad )) that most people coming into the apparent interest of Code Geass around the anime fandom seems to be drawn from 3 words, CLAMP, PlanetES, FLOW. The word Sunrise or even Sycred/GunxSword hardly appeared at all.

I never really had any high expectations for Code Geass, considering the fact that it's promotional picture alone reeks of commercial caterism. I'd agree to the extent that they're probably drawing in the power from the ideal basis of Kira/Athrun with Lelouch/Suzaku, buy considering this had already been in planning for 3 years, I'd say that aside from various factors, it should deliver decently. I hardly expect the PlanetES duo to continually dish out that PlanetES level of performance, such as I don't expect Husband and Wifey Cyber Formula to continually dish out Sin/GEAR level of performance.

Above everything else, if they potray Lelouch's seemingly Yamagi Light-ish "quest to overthrow Brittiania no matter what the means even if it means that he's no different from the Empire" vs Suzaku's Athrun/Kira-ish "I fight for something that may not be good...BUT!!!!*insert random rational reasoning with goody-goody intention*" well enough, I suppose that's enough reason to watch the ANGST. I just hope it's more of Suzaku's and less of Lelouch's though. It's bad enough Lelouch will have surely his "my abandoned past" angst.

Putting all that aside, I REALLY like the Ali Project ED. It gave me 'Zettai Unmei Mokushirokou' vibes, which is always a good thing.
Old 2006-10-01, 05:56   Link #49
Li Jianliang
This is my ____ face

Send a message via AIM to Li Jianliang Send a message via MSN to Li Jianliang Send a message via Yahoo to Li Jianliang

I think I'm one of those people who are drawn in by the CLAMP factor. And the angst.
Lelouch was the 8th successor to the throne... I don't get it. @_@

A really short summary of the preview.

From what I've seen in the preview, the character struggles and setting interest me, albeit stock. However, I really, really don't like mecha... So the ratio of mecha vs. bishounen in the first episode will probably make or break the series for me.

Umineko no Naku Koro ni Chiru episode 6: Dawn of the golden witch
Translations & summaries & screenshots
Part I | Part II In progress

Last edited by Li Jianliang; 2006-10-07 at 06:52.
Li Jianliang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-01, 06:27   Link #50
Katapan
俺様祭り

Quote:
Originally Posted by JarOfMayo
When I was trying to write his name I was too lazy to load up the series page to double check. lol all i did was watch the part where he said his full name a couple times over.

So its Lelouch for sure... but... ranperuuji...taking what the makers considered L's instead of R's... Lanpeluji... mmmm Lanpeloush? Lanpeluge?

Well basically I guess its "Le"-"Lew""shu" ... "Lan""Pe" "Ruuji" Like how Strike "Rouge"(Ruuju) is said... close to like how "luge"(Ryuju) (the sport) sounds. Just at the end its "ji" instead of "ju".

(Lelouch Lanpelouji) I guess.... lol JP and their katakana usage and whatever they come up in English for it is insane... and defies common sense very often. lol
I had come to the conclusion that his last name might be Lamperouge - aka Redlamp in French. I wonder if we'll ever see an official spelling.

Eh, I've never liked mecha, but I'm somehow pretty hyped up about the series. Must be because I'm impressed by Sunrise's latest work (ZEGAPAIN being my first mecha anime), or possibly the combination of my favorite seiyuu (Ami Koshimizu & Yukana especially) and good theme songs.
I was a bit turned off by the seiyuu-in-a-bikini competition thing from the preview though....
Old 2006-10-01, 06:48   Link #51
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale
Looking back, I find it funny (( or sad )) that most people coming into the apparent interest of Code Geass around the anime fandom seems to be drawn from 3 words, CLAMP, PlanetES, FLOW. The word Sunrise or even Sycred/GunxSword hardly appeared at all.
Respected director, beloved manga artists, big name seiyuus and fan-favourite musical pedigree. It's marketing genius from Sunrise.

They could have relied on the 'big new mecha show from Sunrise' lure, but that clearly doesn't work anymore. Well it didn't work for Zegapain.
Old 2006-10-01, 06:55   Link #52
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Li Jianliang
I think I'm one of those people who are drawn in by the CLAMP factor. And the angst.
Lelouch was the 8th successor to the throne... I don't get it. @_@

A really short summary of the preview.

From what I've seen in the preview, the character struggles and setting interest me, albeit stock. However, I really, really don't like mecha... So the ratio of mecha vs. bishounen in the first episode will probably make or break the series for me.

I'm guessing Lelouch's last name is Lamperg, but I suck at figuring out Katakana -> English.
If I recall, his true name is Lelouch Vie Britiannia, the next in line for the throne who wants to...well, overthrow his family's empire. Of course, running away from home to the a country that hates your bloodline, the last he wants to do is advertise his bloodline. Lamperouge, Rampage, Lampard G, whatever is most likely an alias.

If anything, I suppose GEASS will be more imbued on the character struggles, political differences, rather than stock mecha-ism. The trailers don't seem so high on ZOOMG!! LANCELOT IS SOO SLICK!!!! but more on "Character Angst/Political Struggles/Mysterious Power kind of trailer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonhex
They could have relied on the 'big new mecha show from Sunrise' lure, but that clearly doesn't work anymore. Well it didn't work for Zegapain.
Sad, really because ZEGAPAIN is actually a pretty good anime. Most people are turned off by the Matrix-ism and 3D Mecha before it really started to shine on it's own.
Old 2006-10-02, 23:13   Link #53
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Wow such hatred for the mecha genre. Looks like the genre's dead to most of the fanbase. Alright boys, I guess its time for me to go into the isolation as the loli and H-Game rampage tramples the remains of a sadly unpopular genre. Thanks a bunch GSD, for ruining peoples expectations forever. Apparentely Eureka 7 isn't even enough to save the genre from the deluge of poor-mediocore H-Game conversions.

Sigh most people barely know what the real mecha genre is, I'm talking about pre GSD here.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-02, 23:24   Link #54
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

It's really before GSD really. For some unknown reason, it seems mecha just isn't the thing nowadays. I was born imbued with the blood of mecha, so be it, but a lot of people in general just seems...sick of mecha. And h-game conversions seem to be the in thing nowadays. How complex.

I mean, c'mon, look at the non-existant interest over OG TV series. It doesn't even have Sunrise labelled on it, but apparently no one cares. Anything that's mecha is ignored.

I'm hoping VOTOMS or YATTEYARUZE!! next year will revive the mecha genre.
Old 2006-10-02, 23:54   Link #55
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
It's really before GSD really. For some unknown reason, it seems mecha just isn't the thing nowadays. I was born imbued with the blood of mecha, so be it, but a lot of people in general just seems...sick of mecha. And h-game conversions seem to be the in thing nowadays. How complex.

I mean, c'mon, look at the non-existant interest over OG TV series. It doesn't even have Sunrise labelled on it, but apparently no one cares. Anything that's mecha is ignored.

I'm hoping VOTOMS or YATTEYARUZE!! next year will revive the mecha genre.
OMG Shin Dancougar, I know. It better have the original Dancougar team of Shinobu, Sara, Ryo and Masato, and bring back Laura Sullivan, Rie Fujiwara's career could use a defibrilator. We've also got Votoms and I seem to recall something else. All in all I can't wait and its only 1 more day till SRW OG TV. I just hope Shin Dancougar doesn't get canned because the studio gets sacked by Loli's or something or taken over by an H-Game friendly company who cancels the project and puts them to work on Kanon MK III or something.

I mean one H-Game conversion per month alright, two pushing it unless there good. Roughly 18 in the trailer page I just saw on ANN that I can barely tell the difference between and its pretty obvious that the genre is out of control and needs to be checked for other genres to thrive a bit. I see Code Geass as a breath of fresh air, not because I expect it to be a masterpiece but because its a well needed change of pace from all the H-Game anime and a ray of hope for an 80's guy in a culture that no longer welcomes him with open arms.

I always get, "you don't have to watch it" from smarmy posters, but really what other new series can I watch then. No really tell me, please..... Otherwise I'm just gonna keep sticking to pre 2000 series as a safety net.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-03, 04:21   Link #56
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
While most people, including the studios, know mecha isn't 'in' at the moment there are plenty of shows that are mecha but perhaps pretend not to be to get around the apathy toward the genre. Good shows too like The Third, Innocent Venus and Flag. These maybe not be hardcore mecha shows but it's a key part of their story.

Hopefully Code Geass will restore some interest and faith in the genre. I'm trying to keep my expectations under control but tbh my only hope is that it will be addictive fun like Eureka 7.
Old 2006-10-03, 05:14   Link #57
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

I don't particularly think that mecha is a Dying Ignored Breed, as every season has at least a mecha or 2. People here too can say all they want about SEED or GSD sucking, but speaking relatively, both of them are successful products commercially. Not so much of GSD, but frankly, how can anyone say they flopped in the commercial market? Not as successful as SEED perhaps, but who's gonna blame who?

But this is relatively off-topic. While Code Geass : Lelouch of the Rebellion does possess the star power and the potential to be a great mecha series, it's not in it's place to start talking about the all-time-low on mecha interest and potential revitalization.

2 MORE DAYS!!!

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Old 2006-10-03, 05:29   Link #58
wao
OK.

Yeah, and there's still 'old-style' mecha anime (if you can call it that) like the newer Gaiking still being made. And there's that Dancougar remake you mentioned and there's GAINAX's Gurren-Lagann as well (that's not old-style but I think it'll be mech-heavy too)...
I don't think mecha is dying in Japan, it's just that it doesn't have the whole boom of the 80s - and it can't be helped because there will always be some rising and falling fad. Now it's moe and bishoujo-game conversion sort of things (which I don't particularly enjoy) which seem to be sticking around longer, but eventually that will pass as well (not saying you won't have any more of those kind of anime in the future, but probably less of it). Whatever makes money...

I guess I can hope it's fun like Eureka 7, although I think Eureka 7 had more a more refined/unusual flavour to it. Sure it had it's usual cheesy "WE'RE ALL IN IT TOGETHER!!" kind of lines (and generally -_- scriptwriting) but you've got to agree the designs in general were all really quite good, and I thought the design sense was more to my taste than the ones in Code Geass.
I guess a lot has to do with the character designs (Kenichi Yoshida >>>>(unpassable wall)>>> CLAMP/Takahiro Kimura, in my book) but I thought the whole DJ/hippie flavour was kind of interesting. It was like abit of the 60s with a modern face.

Oh what am I saying, I'll probably be giggling at the screen when Lelouch and Suzaku have "!! WE'RE BEST FRIENDS BUT WE HAVE TO FIGHT EACH OTHER ;_;" kind of scenes. I'll admit I enjoyed it in Gundam Seed enough to marathon the whole thing...
Old 2006-10-05, 16:24   Link #59
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Send a message via ICQ to MrProphet
Watched episode 1.

Ok, what's good?

Spoiler:

What's not so good?

Spoiler:

Overall thoughs? An extremely campy mecha show. Guys, this is the "Gun X Sword" Goro Taniguchi.... not the PLANETES Goro Taniguchi. To me, this is a major disappointment, but perhaps it was to be expected. Not that it can't be good, because episode 1 had good animation and a somewhat promising plot.

It was a wrong thing to go to CLAMP, that I am certain of. Whatever artistic value this group has weilded since X, they have long spent it. I would have appreciated Code Geass much more, if the designs were different, even if only slightly. The way things are presented is just silly.

I might continue to watch it, though, as the show has some promise in the area of mecha fights. I am also intrigued by Lelouch's new power. It would be interesting to see what he can do with it.
MrProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-05, 17:11   Link #60
Li Jianliang
This is my ____ face

Send a message via AIM to Li Jianliang Send a message via MSN to Li Jianliang Send a message via Yahoo to Li Jianliang

Episode 1 was good. ^_^

Just as I thought, the mecha battles weren't the most exciting events in the world, but the CLAMP designs (read: bishounen) balanced it out.
I loved Britannia's iron grip on Area 11 and how it regards the ex-Japanese people. Yarr.
But wait, Yukana gets one of the more important roles but so little screentime? >_> She should've been listed as a side characters or something...

Umineko no Naku Koro ni Chiru episode 6: Dawn of the golden witch
Translations & summaries & screenshots
Part I | Part II In progress
Li Jianliang is offline   Reply With Quote