AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2010-04-28, 18:51   Link #1
Seiryuu

Seeking NTRedemptions

For those who aren't familiar with the term, NTR or Netorare, the textbook description would ultimately involve three major characters.
1. The main male, a good, realatable character.
2. The girl he's in love with, and who at least seems to reciprocate. She's either his girlfriend, or he doesn't know of any guys she's with.
3. The man who winds up making the girl scream with pleasure in a situation that guarantees the main guy will either see it, hear her begging for more, or get a ton of commemorative photos of the event.

The closer the main guy and girl are, the worse it is. Usually, she's either a childhood friend or a girlfriend/spouse, someone he should know and be able to trust. The guy is often either a best friend, a stranger whose face would make children run in terror, or the school idol with the face of a prince and the heart of a demon.

This can be a very unpleasant read, especially if you're not prepared. It often comes without any warning, and with a significant degree of cruelty. What's worse, since the characters have some relationship, he's going to likely see the girl all the time, and she may be completely unaware of what he's seen.
I generally give a lot of manga a chance, regardless of the content, so long as that content doesn't involve yaoi. Lately, I've had a string of bad luck, and both new stuff and old stuff I find keeps winding up like this. I am basically suffereing an NTR overdose.
NTR isn't always bad though. Instead of a disgusting end to a story, it can be the initial trigger or a major plot device leading to other things, over the space of a page to several volumes. I'm looking for redemptions, cases where NTR happens, or where it looks like it happens, but the story goes on and in the end the hero does indeed get the girl, and she actually wants to be with him. I do not care what sort of content there is so long as it's not BL, and I don't care whether it's a one-shot or a multivolume series. I just really want to see happy endings to try and get the bad taste out of my mouth. Raw or translated, licensed or not, please recommend some titles that fit the bill, or authors who like to follow this or happier plots.

Last edited by Seiryuu; 2010-05-12 at 19:20.
Seiryuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-28, 23:41   Link #2
barcode120x
MSN, FNP-C

I think (to the best of my knowledge) that:
School Days
DEFINITELY fits your recommendation. Maybe not all 1-6 but has #s 1-4 (not 4, it's rather opposite in genders).

Didn't state if you wanted Manga or Anime, but I think there's a School Days manga (I have do not read manga so excuse me if there isn't one) and also a game for it haha. Just try it out, hope I helped!
barcode120x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-29, 05:46   Link #3
Seiryuu

Thanks for the recommendation. Not sure I'd go with that one to be honest, since the thing ends with lots of people dying or going insane or both. Like I said, I'm looking for "redemptions" of the style, things that contain this sort of thing, with the man finding his love in the arms of another, not on account of rape or force but by her own will, but which still have a happy ending, where even though such horrible, shocking things happened the man still wound up with the girl, and again he got her not through force or deception but by truly winning her heart. From the instances I've seen, this generally goes along a couple of common paths:
1. The experience and shock nearly shatters the relationship, the guy can't bear to be around her, and though it's said that absence makes the heart grow fonder, the girl finds that actually absence forces the heart to realize how much it's lost and how much it means. This usually happens when the revelations were relatively innocent, more infatuation than an actual affair.
2. The experience, or some other event, changes the guy, and since the girl is close to him, she sees the change every day; combined with concern for him, her impression of his changed attitude starts to shift things, giving the guy another chance at love. Often, in this case, the guy finds someone else too for a time at least, at about the same time as the girl starts to develop feelings for him.
3. The girl had actually set the guy up. Generally occurring when the guy is far too wishy-washy or concerned about ruining the relationship, the girl may get desperate and resort to anything from staging a date to making love to a friend or group in order to force him to take action. In this case, the girl may escalate the incident hoping that he'll jump in, and afterward both sides have a great deal of trouble.
There's plenty of other ways this can turn out, but the main thing is that the two primary characters are close and so conflict is bound to continue, so cutting off here is cheap and frustrating. I've had too many of these and want to see more of the sorts where this is a part of the story and is eventually resolved rather than it being the tragic end.
Old 2010-04-29, 09:48   Link #4
Smithsky

Onani Master Kurosowa (manga) - fits perfectly I think? don't get discouraged by the first few chapters, it evolves into great drama and romance and even more drama.
Smithsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-30, 17:44   Link #5
Seiryuu

Thanks for the suggestion. Not bad overall, but a little different from what I'm trying to find. There wasn't really any true NTR that I could find; NTR implies that not only does the hero's crush/love get taken from him (hence the -torare), but that he finds out in a very unpleasant manner, not by being told that she's been taken, but rather by seeing for himself. Occasionally he might just see her blushing and cuddling with a boy, like an event that one character recalled in the series NHK (though not everyone would call that true netorare), but usually it's a lot more severe and graphic, effectively slapping him in the face with the fact that she's with someone, or that she'll be with almost anyone except possibly him. In this case, he just found out that she'd started going out with the guy the day after it happens, nothing more than verbal acknowledgement, not to mention that she is not the single central and ultimate love interest. I'm looking for something where the obviously unrequited love does eventually get through, and she returns his love completely.
One possibility is something that a few people on other anime sites said about alternate setups for B Gata H Kei, before people saw enough to start liking it: one suggestion was that a guy like a girl and find out that she is what Yamada wants to become (a total, absolute tramp), thus becoming very uncertain about pursuing a relationship, while at the same time the tramp finds herself falling for him and wanting to "settle down" as it were.
On the lowest level I want stuff where he knows her heart cannot be his, suffers and perhaps surrenders to the loss, but at some point, things change. Things taken for granted are noticed, hidden feelings emerge, new feelings blossom, and she loves him. The things is that I've seen all this stuff where the situation is made much more intense, shocking, and painful by the hero's finding out his loss in the worst way possible, so I want stuff where this is part of it, where he does get crushed by a sight that no one should have to see, but even so eventually she turns to him.
Also, I'd like a hero who's a little more likable. It's okay for the guy to be cruel when his heart's broken, but I want to be in a position where I feel that the guy deserves to find love and that it really is wrong that he lost out. Kurosawa eventually becomes like that, but it takes a while and for a long time he's a moster, not to mention that the story is mostly about his return to humanity rather than his finding love. Again I'll say that this was good, very good, and had some great stuff at certain points, thank you for the suggestion. Just not quite what I was aiming for here. Perhaps a little less drama, or at least less widespread atrocity, and a little more romance and focus on the ultimate pair.
Edit: After looking through my old stuff, I found one series that is very close to the sort of thing I'm looking for: Momoiro Peanuts by Tsutomu Mutsuki. Be forewarned, this does contained well-censored H and pseudo-loli, and only 3 chapters have been translated, though the serious stuff is several chapters further along. By pseudo(fake)-loli, I mean that the central girl is implied to be 18 and confirmed to be no younger (at one point a particularly perverted character jumps on her with the thought "Over 18!? OK!!"), though she could pass for 9 easily. I'm not particularly adept at Japanese and Kanji, so I'm not sure of everything, but here's what I can make out:
Spoiler for Momoiro Peanuts plot:

Last edited by Seiryuu; 2010-05-01 at 19:31.
Old 2010-10-13, 22:24   Link #6
Darknemo2000

Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
Some of the titles

Sekitou Elergy

Spoiler for a:

Boys Be

Spoiler for a:

Onani Master Kurosowa
Spoiler for a:

Break Blade

Spoiler for a:

Nana

Spoiler for a:

Macross

Spoiler for a:

Kimikiss Pure Rouge

Spoiler for a:

Good ending

Spoiler for a:

Kimi no Iru Machi

Spoiler for a:

REC

Spoiler for a:

Yuutai Nova
Spoiler for a:

Kannagi

Spoiler for a:

Chigusa x Pon

Spoiler for a:

Usotsuki Paradox

Spoiler for a:

Suzuka

Spoiler for a:

Ginen Shounen

Spoiler for a:

Full Metal Panic

Spoiler for a:

Rave

Spoiler for a:

Momoiro Peanuts

Spoiler for a:

Mysterious Girlfriend X

Spoiler for a:
Darknemo2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-26, 09:45   Link #7
panos
Elemento

Some titles are not ntr

I think the definition of ntr is lacking sth the opening post mentioned.I can't find the exact definition in wikipedia and sometimes ntr is confused with infidelity,cheating etc.I can't say for sure that a manga has a ntr element but in hentai,a hentai is labeled as ntr when the antagonist steals the female.I know,because i avoid them at all costs.But usually there is a good relationship with the protagonist and the female,like couple or very close friends.

Onani master Kurosawa in that occasion is definitely not a ntr :The guy has practically talked a few times with the girl he likes on the library.Because it's his first time someone has shown interest on him he thinks she likes him until he learns that she likes another guy on his class.

Yuutai Nova The guy hasn't even talked to his ex girlfriend for years and by doing astral projection he finds that she is sleeping with another guy who is an ass.Big deal what did you expect to be a loser like the protagonist who thinks about his ex for years?He sees the act which is a prerequisite that the opening post mentioned,but he has no relationship whatsoever with his ex(he hasn't talked for so many years that they are practically strangers)

Suzuka Ok now you are being ridiculous.If every manga that has a love triangle would be considered ntr then we would be full of them

Some of the above like Chigusa x Pon are true ntr(that's why i don't read them) and some have a ntr element like Good Ending and Knim.If good ending had ended as a series when you mentioned the spoiler,it would be a pure ntr.

Oh,i remembered another one with cheating Nozoki Ana,but it's as ntr as Good Ending,practically meaning you can't label it as ntr.

Seiryuu you know what i search?A ntr that the protagonist snaps and kills the bitch.

Last edited by panos; 2011-01-26 at 10:18.
panos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-06, 08:57   Link #8
Seiryuu

Quote:
Originally Posted by panos View Post
I think the definition of ntr is lacking sth the opening post mentioned.I can't find the exact definition in wikipedia and sometimes ntr is confused with infidelity,cheating etc.I can't say for sure that a manga has a ntr element but in hentai,a hentai is labeled as ntr when the antagonist steals the female.I know,because i avoid them at all costs.But usually there is a good relationship with the protagonist and the female,like couple or very close friends.

Onani master Kurosawa in that occasion is definitely not a ntr :The guy has practically talked a few times with the girl he likes on the library.Because it's his first time someone has shown interest on him he thinks she likes him until he learns that she likes another guy on his class.

Yuutai Nova The guy hasn't even talked to his ex girlfriend for years and by doing astral projection he finds that she is sleeping with another guy who is an ass.Big deal what did you expect to be a loser like the protagonist who thinks about his ex for years?He sees the act which is a prerequisite that the opening post mentioned,but he has no relationship whatsoever with his ex(he hasn't talked for so many years that they are practically strangers)

Suzuka Ok now you are being ridiculous.If every manga that has a love triangle would be considered ntr then we would be full of them

Some of the above like Chigusa x Pon are true ntr(that's why i don't read them) and some have a ntr element like Good Ending and Knim.If good ending had ended as a series when you mentioned the spoiler,it would be a pure ntr.

Oh,i remembered another one with cheating Nozoki Ana,but it's as ntr as Good Ending,practically meaning you can't label it as ntr.

Seiryuu you know what i search?A ntr that the protagonist snaps and kills the bitch.
OK, wouldn't go so far as he KILLS her. But one of the potential "redemptions" has the guy snap and punish the girl, or finds some way to take her back whether she likes it or not, or he finds a way to take the other guy out of the picture permanently. That's sort of the first reaction for a lot of people when they read something and find out that it's netorare.
Another, better redemption is rebound, like mentioned in Macross; in some cases a different girl is in love with the boy and this turns into an opportunity for her.

What I really like is stuff where he still manages to get the girl back, whatever their relationship had been before. In some, like Momoiro Peanuts, the relationship with the other guy disintegrates and ultimately the girl either falls for the first guy for real or realizes that she'd always loved him. In others, either the girl ends up in a bad situation because of her new boy and the hero literally saves her, or the hero just continues to be a good guy or tries to be a better guy and gradually wins his girl's heart back.
Old 2011-03-06, 09:10   Link #9
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Just a benign question, but do people really enjoy NTR stories on a consistent basis? I don't know that's like heart-ripping drama and angst on a daily basis that could not be good for your mental and emotional well being.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-06, 19:43   Link #10
Seiryuu

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
Just a benign question, but do people really enjoy NTR stories on a consistent basis? I don't know that's like heart-ripping drama and angst on a daily basis that could not be good for your mental and emotional well being.
I don't know why, but some people seem to really like the stuff. Something about wanting to be filled with indignant rage or something. I don't get it; while I get the rage thing, most of my anger is that that's all there was. Such a horrible experience will leave a lot of trauma one would think, and that changes a person. Almost every NTR I've seen you can tell there'd be a lot of story to tell after the last page, and while that story could dig itself deeper, it could also turn the entire thing around.

I don't mind semi-tragic stuff that ends with things properly resolved, but generally NTR does not have a resolution. It can be a way to keep people coming back; the first time I saw one of them I read the next several months of the publication hoping that the author would come back and finish things. They never did.

Oddly, the setting seems more popular of late. I've looked at lists of new anime/OVAs, and there were a couple months with one OVA after another where it was obvious just from the title, including a couple where netorare was actually in the title.
Old 2011-03-19, 08:22   Link #11
panos
Elemento

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seiryuu View Post
OK, wouldn't go so far as he KILLS her. But one of the potential "redemptions" has the guy snap and punish the girl, or finds some way to take her back whether she likes it or not, or he finds a way to take the other guy out of the picture permanently. That's sort of the first reaction for a lot of people when they read something and find out that it's netorare.
Another, better redemption is rebound, like mentioned in Macross; in some cases a different girl is in love with the boy and this turns into an opportunity for her.

What I really like is stuff where he still manages to get the girl back, whatever their relationship had been before. In some, like Momoiro Peanuts, the relationship with the other guy disintegrates and ultimately the girl either falls for the first guy for real or realizes that she'd always loved him. In others, either the girl ends up in a bad situation because of her new boy and the hero literally saves her, or the hero just continues to be a good guy or tries to be a better guy and gradually wins his girl's heart back.
Nah, i am not that forgiving in the first place.What i would like more would be probably the following:After the guy usually who eats the ntr shit, gets over his shitty girlfriend find a much better person and having a better life overall.Then the stupid bimbo doesn't have a good time with her new boyfriend, has second thoughts,has regretted the whole thing and thinks of going back.Then she gets rejected.Although a sour aftereffect and concept overall, at least it offers the closure of "Heaven's judgment".But it's still think it's much less sour than a ntr ending.Or he can just in a more civilized manner kick the shit of his girlfriend and the other guy and get over with it in a much simpler way,ehem.People who pull ntr don't worth redeeming themselves in the first place.

As the previous poster mentioned and as i previously said i dislike ntr and i don't read them,so i can't help much with what you are seeking.But most ntr from my knowledge can be found on hentai (that's where i came across with the ntr terminology for the first time but with 0% chance of redemption) and on shoujo smut i think(not to sure i am a guy you know, but after looking at a few pages of the particular genre, it was enough to get how the whole plot goes).
panos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-19, 09:27   Link #12
Nemuru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seiryuu View Post
......snip for space
Although I think it's odd asking for NTR redemption since that actually gives away the entire story. NTR only works when people are surprise by it when attach
emtionally to certain characters. Knowing the resolution and twist removes the entertainment factor. You won't rage or feel a need to read something if you know its coming. Which I believe would be counter productive in that aspect.
Nemuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-19, 10:46   Link #13
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

^Seiryuu's a special case though. Seems like he's asking for therapy, so he's probably fine with the dampened "raeg" moment precisely because he wants the good end part of it.

That said, I'm allergic to NTR. I don't look for them, and if I see hints of them (or spoiled about them) I skip, dump and forget. No memory and no regrets. So can't help you there either OP.

Mind you I always enjoy seeing your super-specific romance scenario requests around here. ^^
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-19, 16:06   Link #14
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
Kimi ga Nozomu Eien TV
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-19, 16:16   Link #15
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Spoiler for BIG WALL OF TEXT:

Last edited by Irenicus; 2011-03-19 at 16:27.
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-10, 04:18   Link #16
Ddraig

Just find this thread by chance so I might as well add something that really consider to be ntr unlike most of these title being post here. Cross and Crime. Best for you to try and read it cuz I kinda hate to write summary for it. It make me rage.
Ddraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-10, 14:09   Link #17
Aqua Knight

Go for White Album

No spoilers, but for me it's one of the most awesome anime series out there
Old 2013-01-26, 08:34   Link #18
Seiryuu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Knight View Post
Go for White Album

No spoilers, but for me it's one of the most awesome anime series out there
I've downloaded it and run a quick scan through it, though I haven't thoroughly watched it. What I saw I didn't see any real NTR-type occurrence (though like I said I skimmed); the central character, the guy, wound up pulling some nasty moves but not the girl. This isn't to say that it's ok for the guy or anything, it just feels somewhat different.
Actually, I thought recently why which partner betrays the other for often-superficial reasons makes a difference in my feelings. In either case the often-shallow cause of the betrayal is an insult to the reasons and meaning of the first relationship, especially in cases where the reason the person leaves is someone else is better looking or better in bed. One reason is obviously the differences in gender roles that still exist. But really, I think the difference is that, while the worst stories with a girl dumping a true and earnest love for someone on account of looks or sex, it feels in a way like someone's trying to cut off my you-know-what, while in most stories where a guy does that to a wonderful girl, all I feel is a desire to cut his off.

I haven't tried C&C yet, but maybe will if I can get the whole thing and it really has a good ending.
I've read one or two chapters of Irenicus's, but haven't been able to find most of it. I'm wary of open-ended ones since some stories that continue only do so to make the end even worse than the initial NTR.

Also, I'll mention one series I don't believe was noted here. Warning, it's definitively hentai.
Spoiler for name:
Old 2013-01-27, 19:00   Link #19
Snuffle
likes cute things

While White Album did not make me rage, I found the NTR in that really screwed up.

I'm not one for NTR, it snuck up on me a few times when I was expecting a very nice heart warming story... (I'm referring to an eroge here) Then for a stupid reason, the girl ends up staying with the other guy who definitely doesn't care about her, a guy that only wants to use her for xxx. I've never been so pissed at playing an eroge before... So now, I'm trying pretty hard to be careful and read what type of genre the game is.

But anyway, back to White Album.
Spoiler for White Album, may have minor spoilers, but it's vauge.:

So if you're going to watch White Album, be prepared for some stupid crap. It's an interesting story, it's just the relationship that I find ridiculous.
Snuffle is offline   Reply With Quote