AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-01-10, 22:07   Link #281
raeryne

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
Only that this approach has the danger of the creators dangling that carrot too long and the fans becoming bitter and angry.
Becoming bitter and angry, huh...I wonder for how long can we take it before we go wild/crazy/Macross studio-destructive?
Old 2010-01-10, 22:26   Link #282
wisteria233

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
Something I noticed today when thinking about Justavisitor pointing out that Ranka could have not saved Sheryl from her disease. The problem with that being a.) what would have been the consequence of that ( Grace wins, everybody on Frontier dies ) and b.) what kind of person would have that made Ranka?
Its true for most Ranka fans, when they try to defend her it usually ends up being a foot in mouth situation. Though Justavisitor's post was not the first one I had seen like that. While Ranka did save Sheryl, there were severe consequences as to what would have happened if she didn't despite having the ability to do so. It would also give fans another reason to hate her. Doing just one good thing does not make the other 20 bad things you've done magically disappear.

Quote:
My line of thinking in regards to Alto is more along the lines that he was *trying* to be the protective elder brother, but couldn't fill that role. Partly due to being outstaged by Brera at every turn, partly because he needed someone less aquiescent to his own personality than Ranka was.
There is also the problem that Ranka's personality and her illusion of Alto would prevent her from seeing him as a person, and thus would not call him out when he does something stupid as the others do. The thing with Alto is that he was given a role (Ranka's protector) to play by Ozma, and yet someone more capable came and stole that role from him, and for an actor something like that is quite personal.

Quote:
Another very important aspect to that is that Altos character did evolve during the series. While in the beginning he was relying on Ranka to fill his need to be a "protector" and have a purpose, his evolution into a much more mature person than the constantly beligerent one he was at the beginning, saw him abandon that narrow focus for trying to be a guardian for everyone on Frontier, not only the people nearest to him.
Thing is Alto is more of an actions speak louder than words character. And when you take his actions into consideration then his feelings become clear. Such as when Ranka got kidnapped in episode 14, and Sheryl and Michael got into trouble sometime afterwords. Instead of going straight to Ranka Alto stopped and went to save Sheryl and Michael when he could have just as easily told one of the other SMS pilots to go save them.

Quote:
Yeah, hoping that it will pass and she'll focus her attention elsewhere. Which actually can lead to the person who is crushing becoming even more interested and becoming unhealthily obsessed.
This is why its usually better to tell someone who you know has a crush on you, that you don't feel the same. Just ignoring it can just make that person delude themselves into believing that their "love" is reciprocated. It can also make the people around them misunderstand the situation and think that the two only need a "push in the right direction, and end up causing more harm than good. Thinking back before Ozma gave him the role of protector Alto made sure not to put himself in situations where he where his actions might be taken differently. Also episode 13 was orchestrated by Michael, who thought that he was helping out Alto by doing that, though Michael stopped trying to push them together once he realized that Alto was stubbornly ignoring all the signs. It also lead to Ranka believing that things like Alto's stunt in 19 were done out of love for her.

Only time will tell, with how Kawamori handles the second movie. Although the fact that they haven't even made a move to put Ranka out of the "good friend" position, makes me a bit pessimistic on how they'll handle Ranka's relationship with Alto in the second movie.

Question: does anyone know when the last episodes of Macross Frontier were made?
Old 2010-01-10, 22:56   Link #283
KaoruLia

Yeah, a lot of this discussion about Ranka is dead on accurate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisteria233
I think a lot of Alto fans actually do think about that, that's why the vast majority of them actually don't support Alto with Ranka. I remember that they were one of the first people to speak against Alto with Ranka. Ranka is really unsuited for Alto, though you could tell as much from looking at their star signs (Alto is a Leo, Sheryl is a Sagittarius, and Ranka is a Taurus, and apparently a Taurus and Leo are a horrible match, but a Sagittarius and a Leo are perfect for each other. Considering that anime character in general are always given significant birthdays, and corresponding star signs, this is probably not a fluke. What is interesting is that Alto really wasn't interested in Ranka like that, and the fact that he knew that she liked him and yet chose to ignore it attests to this fact ( you don't choose to ignore the fact that someone likes you when you like them back, unless you're not that interested in them.)
I've always like this little Leo-Saggitarius-Taurus connection really. (part of me being a zodiac fag heh).

Like.... Ranka and Sheryl singing 'Lion' (Alto's a Leo), Sheryl's Saggitarius 9pm Don't Be Late, and then Alto adopting the Saggitarius-1 call sign in episode 23, when it was still Skull-3 in episode 22... And wasn't there a Saggitarius zodiac symbol during Sheryl's short Aimo eyecatch in episode 18?

Quote:
Only time will tell, with how Kawamori handles the second movie. Although the fact that they haven't even made a move to put Ranka out of the "good friend" position, makes me a bit pessimistic on how they'll handle Ranka's relationship with Alto in the second movie.
Hmm, I have heard a few things about a train scene in the movie involving Alto and Ranka that made quite a big impression. That definitely was added in to ramp up Ranka's standing in the LT. But I don't understand why some Ranka fans are saying that the movie's ending was Aruran. I'm sure the ending was perfectly equal, and the real triangle will come into play in the second movie.
Old 2010-01-11, 05:38   Link #284
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaoruLia View Post
Hmm, I have heard a few things about a train scene in the movie involving Alto and Ranka that made quite a big impression. That definitely was added in to ramp up Ranka's standing in the LT. But I don't understand why some Ranka fans are saying that the movie's ending was Aruran. I'm sure the ending was perfectly equal, and the real triangle will come into play in the second movie.
We'll have to wait for the movie to be available to us to form our own judgement. In the end, it is an AU anyway, so far I stick to discussing the characters from the series. When it comes out, meaningful discussion will have to have qualifiers as to which version we are talking about.
Old 2010-01-11, 07:43   Link #285
wisteria233

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaoruLia View Post
Yeah, a lot of this discussion about Ranka is dead on accurate.

I would take their words as less than a grain of salt, until we actually see the movie, as they are Ranka fans that thought the tv series ended in Ranka's favor.
Old 2010-01-11, 18:15   Link #286
justavisitor

@magnuskn
hold on, I didn't say Ranka should not have saved Sheryl lol...of course she should save Sheryl...I am just saying how come all of a sudden Ranka knows magical ability to heal her..it's like I am reading a sci-fiction and all of a sudden Harry Potter comes into play

So I repeat once again, by all means Ranka should save Sheryl, but I don't feel comfortable when fairy tale comes out of nowhere

I hope I clear it a bit...I feel odd when my name is on the post
I am a Ranka fan and I have significant experience in defending various "crimes" committed by Ranka, from her evil plan to terminate human races, to feeding inapporiate food to unknown lifeforms. If you think you find "new" charges aginst Ranka and you are interested, or you care to see how a particular Ranka fan would respond, please feel free to check my previous comment. There is a good chance that I have answered a similiar issue. And of course, my viewpoints do not necessarily represent other perspectivs from numerous Ranka fans in this planet
Old 2010-01-11, 18:27   Link #287
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by justavisitor View Post
@magnuskn
hold on, I didn't say Ranka should not have saved Sheryl lol...of course she should save Sheryl...I am just saying how come all of a sudden Ranka knows magical ability to heal her..it's like I am reading a sci-fiction and all of a sudden Harry Potter comes into play

So I repeat once again, by all means Ranka should save Sheryl, but I don't feel comfortable when fairy tale comes out of nowhere

Ah, excuse my assumption then, I misunderstood your intention.
Old 2010-01-11, 21:15   Link #288
Father Hentai

Quote:
@magnuskn

You are just afraid that you are playing a 10 vs 1 game again like in the past discussion threads. :P
Old 2010-01-11, 21:23   Link #289
justavisitor

no lol...it's just that all of a sudden I see myself on the crime list for something I didn't commit, and I need to defend my reputation XD

anyway, I am glad that there is no more misunderstanding...

P.S..it's not 10 vs 1 in here, it's more like 20 vs 1 ...but I think I am doing fine
I am a Ranka fan and I have significant experience in defending various "crimes" committed by Ranka, from her evil plan to terminate human races, to feeding inapporiate food to unknown lifeforms. If you think you find "new" charges aginst Ranka and you are interested, or you care to see how a particular Ranka fan would respond, please feel free to check my previous comment. There is a good chance that I have answered a similiar issue. And of course, my viewpoints do not necessarily represent other perspectivs from numerous Ranka fans in this planet
Old 2010-01-13, 22:33   Link #290
DeX-kun
Alto x Ranka :)

Quote:
no lol...it's just that all of a sudden I see myself on the crime list for something I didn't commit, and I need to defend my reputation XD

anyway, I am glad that there is no more misunderstanding...

P.S..it's not 10 vs 1 in here, it's more like 20 vs 1 ...but I think I am doing fine
20 vs 2 Just got back from my lengthy vacation and it seems like the Macross sub-forums is as lively as ever

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"
Old 2010-01-13, 22:39   Link #291
Foreshadow
Nyaa~

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeX-kun View Post
20 vs 2 Just got back from my lengthy vacation and it seems like the Macross sub-forums is as lively as ever
Welcome Back

I hardly Think 4 people counts as 20

Remember, it's the quality of the argument not the quantity.
Old 2010-01-13, 22:41   Link #292
DeX-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreshadow View Post
Welcome Back

I hardly Think 4 people counts as 20

Remember, it's the quality of the argument not the quantity.
Just making a joke I of all people should know that though, thanks for the warm welcome though

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"
Old 2010-01-13, 23:18   Link #293
wisteria233

Welcome back DeX-kun, seriously missed you man
Old 2010-01-13, 23:39   Link #294
justavisitor

Welcome back Dex!!

now 20 vs 2 means 10 vs 1....damn Father Hentai is good at math
Old 2010-01-13, 23:50   Link #295
raile
Retired Toaster
*Author

Quote:
Welcome back Dex!!

now 20 vs 2 means 10 vs 1....damn Father Hentai is good at math
I am pretty sure that was an expression to convey majority ratios.

Oh and welcome back DeX.
Old 2010-01-14, 00:14   Link #296
DeX-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by raile View Post
Oh and welcome back DeX.
Of course I'm the second thought that crosses your mind Joking! Thanks for the welcome everyone, missed all you guys.

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"
Old 2010-01-14, 13:40   Link #297
Father Hentai

oho. Seems all are back who had opposite opinions from most ppl here
Old 2010-01-14, 16:07   Link #298
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father Hentai View Post
oho. Seems all are back who had opposite opinions from most ppl here
No, thankfully not.
Old 2010-01-24, 16:07   Link #299
Death Header
*Graphic Designer

So when's the next movie coming out? Hopefully the LT will be solved by then,

hopefully in Ranka's favour.
Old 2010-01-24, 16:09   Link #300
DeX-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death Header View Post
So when's the next movie coming out? Hopefully the LT will be solved by then,
I think the movie thread would have been better to ask this question. Even so, there is still no set release date given so I'd guess sometime by the end of this year but even that is tentative so we'll just have to wait and see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death Header View Post
hopefully in Ranka's favour.
You and me both

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"
Closed Thread