AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Sword Art Online > Past SAO Anime

Notices

View Poll Results: Sword Art Online: Alicization - Episode 21 Rating
Perfect 10 2 33.33%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 2 33.33%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 2 33.33%
7 out of 10 : Good 0 0%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2019-03-08, 18:31   Link #1
Kairin
AnimeSuki's Mascot

Sword Art Online: Alicization - Episode 21 Discussion / Poll

Welcome to the discussion thread for Sword Art Online: Alicization, Episode 21.

Thread Guidelines
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Spoilers or hints about future events must not be posted in this thread.
    If you need to reference something that would spoil a future event, reply directly with a private message, or seek out a more appropriate thread.
  • Discuss your expectations of the episode if it has not aired yet.
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on-topic.
  • Character bashing is not on-topic and will not be tolerated.
  • Do not post multiple times in a row. Please edit your existing post if you wish to add additional thoughts.
Episode Thread Spoiler Policy
  • Any comment that discloses events, characters, plot or other information before it is revealed in the anime is expressly forbidden whether or not it is behind spoiler tags.
    Spoiler tags should still be used where appropriate.
    Please consult the AnimeSuki Spoiler Policy for more information.
  • Adding a Spoiler tag:
    Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found
    on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms.
    Make sure that you include a useful title!
  • Please use the Report button if you see any inappropriate spoilers:
    Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar.
    Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators
    locate and deal with problems quickly.
  • Posting inappropriate spoilers may result in a ban.
    Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly.
    The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.
Kairin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-03-10, 03:42   Link #2
Freya

Send a message via AIM to Freya
So I enjoyed the episode. Not too bad.

On another site though I saw a lot of people say they were done with this show. Was it something particular about the story or something else that's pushing people away?
Old 2019-03-10, 14:38   Link #3
Sakuratsuki

Also enjoyed the episode. Well as there are bad comments you also have positive comments about the show. Not that I can think of some particular thing right at this moment that would offend someone to stop watching it, really. The show is still doing great in Japan so some complaining here and there about the show doesn't mean anything imho. Especially if it's outside of Japan.
Old 2019-03-10, 20:34   Link #4
BloodyKitty
Raindrop Melancholy

Imo this episode was rushed, as they covered a lot more content than other episodes, the Eugeo vs Kirito fight should have been a bit longer. Maybe they want to spend more time on the finale of Alicization first half.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freya View Post
So I enjoyed the episode. Not too bad.

On another site though I saw a lot of people say they were done with this show. Was it something particular about the story or something else that's pushing people away?
Because it's different from previous seasons? The strange pacing? Or naked Quinella? I do have other problems with this adaptation, but overall it's not doing that bad especially in Japan. So what if they complain? It's not like Japan cares.
The fact that you hate
The fact that you scream
The fact that you suffer
The fact that you mourn
The fact that you despair
Or the fact that you come to a resolution

Cannot prove that you are right.
~Everybody Has the Right to Make Mistakes~ - Quoted from Kino's Journey Vol. 12
BloodyKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-03-10, 20:55   Link #5
Frontier

Wow, I wasn't expecting them to update the Opening again, but I guess we're officially in a new arc now with "Alicization Uniting," and it looks like we have a lot of cool stuff to look forward too now that Alice has joined up with Kirito and Eugeo, like a sword-robot sub-boss and Kirito vs. Quinella, which is notable not only for Quinella's full-frontal nudity but for her seemingly kicking Kirito's butt (while naked) .

Alice's smile at the end of the Opening was perfect though, and the perfect prelude to the very memorable smiles that would fill out the episode (Eugeo's small smile when he regains his memories, his big grin at seeing Kirito again, Kirito smiling like his kid self, Alice's acknowledging smile, and Quinella's sadistic grin) .

Kirito vs. Eugeo was pretty nice, as the two clash not only swords but wills as Kirito tries to breakthrough to Eugeo. The two are evenly matched, but Kirito's reminding him of his mission and Eugeo's memories of his childhood are enough to finally bring him back to his senses .

I guess if there was one good thing that came out of Quinella tampering with Eugeo's memories is that I think he finally remembers Kirito from his childhood...at least I think .

I can't say I was expecting Quinella to go nude the rest of the episode after her dress got damaged, but I guess when you're the equivalent of a goddess with divine beauty in what you know is a simulation and everyone else is just the equivalent of a programmable drone to you, modesty isn't something you're concerned about. Especially when you look that beautiful .

What I would have given to see Chudelkin's reaction to Kirito and Alice breaking out of the ice and ganging up on him .

The trio finally being reunited was a pretty awesome moment. I can't wait to see all three of them in action .

It was interesting getting more insight into Quinella's character and how she views individuals. She says Bercoulio and Fanatio are due for a reset like their programs or machines, and she's less concerned about Alice's will overcoming her programming and more the mechanics of it. Her awareness of what the Underworld is, along with her ego, makes her see everyone, not as people, but as programs meant to carry out her will.

I guess I underestimated Chudelkin's combat capability, with him summoning up that giant fire demon to fight our heroes. Looks like he's giving it his all for a night with the Administrator, not that I'm expecting her to keep her word .
Old 2019-03-10, 22:40   Link #6
Applehell

Wow, this is the fastest heel turn and back I think I've ever seen.

It's pretty obvious thee last two-three episodes have been really rushed and messed with the weight and impact Eugeo's situation was supposed to have. Even some otherwise solid directing couldn't really make up for it. On the flipside Alice's come around was handled very well and she quite a bit more endearing to me than here she has been all season. Then again this most time we have had with her character at all.

Everyone is finally together now just in time for penultimate battle before the final boss. The new OP is nice but a bit of a waste with how fast Eugeo returned to good guys since pretty obvious it was changed to reflect Eugeo's new position.

Last edited by Applehell; 2019-03-10 at 23:12.
Applehell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-03-11, 03:47   Link #7
l.kostas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
I can't say I was expecting Quinella to go nude the rest of the episode after her dress got damaged, but I guess when you're the equivalent of a goddess with divine beauty in what you know is a simulation and everyone else is just the equivalent of a programmable drone to you, modesty isn't something you're concerned about. Especially when you look that beautiful .
Gsimenas twitter:
Kawahara says that Quinella isn't a nudist, just that she knows that Underworld is a fake made by people from the outside world, so she doesn't care about her avatar being naked. Instead, she believes that it's ridiculous to be embarrassed by such a thing.
Quote:
Looks like he's giving it his all for a night with the Administrator, not that I'm expecting her to keep her word
She swore to goddess Stacia, which she knows doesn't exist
l.kostas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-03-11, 04:59   Link #8
BloodyKitty
Raindrop Melancholy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applehell View Post
Wow, this is the fastest heel turn and back I think I've ever seen.

It's pretty obvious thee last two-three episodes have been really rushed and messed with the weight and impact Eugeo's situation was supposed to have. Even some otherwise solid directing couldn't really make up for it. On the flipside Alice's come around was handled very well and she quite a bit more endearing to me than here she has been all season. Then again this most time we have had with her character at all.

Everyone is finally together now just in time for penultimate battle before the final boss. The new OP is nice but a bit of a waste with how fast Eugeo returned to good guys since pretty obvious it was changed to reflect Eugeo's new position.
I already complained about this in ep 19 thread. Basically they should have taken more care to show some bits of Eugeo's family situation and his inner conflicts that spread throughout his journey with Kirito in the LN to build up to this situation.

Though frankly speaking, I originally wished that the anime cut all of the Integrity Knight Eugeo scene because it didn't happen in the original Web Novel version (in which he managed to resist the Synthesis ritual in the last few seconds by remembering that he came here to save Alice, not for himself), it fits more with his overall development. All the anime cuts of his backgrounds and stuff got my hopes up, but in the end they still follow the Light Novel version.
The fact that you hate
The fact that you scream
The fact that you suffer
The fact that you mourn

Last edited by BloodyKitty; 2019-03-11 at 05:09.
Old 2019-03-11, 09:06   Link #9
MgMaster

For someone in Chudelkin's position, knowingly going along with Quinella's whims, being evil & all that, not just misled, we can't exactly blame the guy for the reward he asked and reason of motivation to go all-out

Goes without saying that he wouldn't get anything if he succeeded though since as any fine villain, Quinella has more refined tastes. If we think about it like that, Eugeo got a pretty good deal for not really doing anything she asked,lol.

What a playa!
MgMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-03-12, 01:04   Link #10
BloodyKitty
Raindrop Melancholy

I'm still amazed that there are people who still think that Quinella actually did anything with Eugeo, when it's clear she's got a god complex and treats every other beings in her world like pawns, it's even clearer in the LN narration with the clown that she has no will to go through with such promises.
The fact that you hate
The fact that you scream
The fact that you suffer
The fact that you mourn