Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-01-27, 12:27   Link #1
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

One Piece - Chapter 530 [Manga]

Welcome to the weekly manga discussion thread for One Piece.

Thread Guidelines
  • One Piece is licensed by Viz, please don't ask for or mention where to find or download the manga.
  • Please do not discuss scanlations, translation groups, etc., etc.
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Discuss your expectations of the chapter if it has not been published yet.
  • Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome).
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
  • Spoilers will not be policed in this thread, so if you haven't read the chapter yet, just stay out if you don't want to read spoilers.
Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This includes images, scripts and direct translations of the manga. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK (only if you need to illustrate your point) but this is it.
Old 2009-01-27, 12:34   Link #2
marvelB

Wahoo! Spoiler's out early! Here's what's known so far:

-Sengoku is informed about Luffy's infiltration into Impel Down. He gets pissed, but Garp simply finds the situation funny. Apparently, the only other person who was known to escape from Impel Down was the "Gold Lion" (who will be the villain in the upcoming movie 10), but that happened 20 years ago.....

-The level 2 prisoners start a riot now that the sphinx fell down to level 3. Oh, lordy....

-Luffy, Buggy, Mr. 3, and the sphinx are all in level 3, which is the "hell of starvation". The prisoners here have bounties of at least 50 million. Since level 4 is the "inferno floor", it gets pretty hot in level 3, as well. It turns out that the boss of this floor is Sarudeath (I THINK that's how it's spelled), the bluegori commander, who also happens to be a midget . Judging from the pics, it looks like those guys are already causing a great deal of chaos in level 3. Luffy's team seems to get caught in some sort of net that's made of seastone, which gets cut open by the sphinx, setting them free. There are also four "guardian beasts" below level 3 (more bosses! yay!). At the end of the chapter Bon Clay appears, who's singing his old "Okama Way" song and dancing with his fellow inmates. Buggy and Mr. 3 encounter him in front of his cell.....

Hmm..... So Oda's tying a movie 10 character into the manga, eh? I wonder if this means that the events of the movie will correspond with the manga, as well? I'd think that would be rather difficult to pull off. Either way, I think this most definitely means that Sengoku will send either Garp or some other powerful marine to the prison now (maybe Akainu?).....

And of course, Bon Clay had to show up sooner or later. I guess Luffy was too busy fighting the bluegoris and sphinx to meet up with him right away. I also wonder how powerful the bluegori leader is.... he looks kinda like Chopper, but a bit more.... evil. Maybe he has a DF power....?

Well, now to wait for a full script (and chapter, though most of it is available through crappy cam pics right now) to come out....

Last edited by marvelB; 2009-01-27 at 12:48.
Old 2009-01-27, 12:57   Link #3
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

YAY BON CLAY!!!

don't have a clue in hell why I like this guy but I do

and someone else has escaped from Impel down, its like there have been different people doing these totally crazy things before but now we got all that crazy bundled into one person, Luffy!
Old 2009-01-27, 12:58   Link #4
kari-no-sugata

Looks to me like Buggy and Mr 3 separate (are separated?) from Luffy and take a breather next to Bon Clay's cell - he seems indefatigable

I spent a while looking at that pic of Garp and Sengoku - was surprised to see Garp there. btw, Sengoku knows that Luffy and Ace are brothers.

Doesn't help that the spoiler pics are out of order... Oh well. Anyway, definitely more action this week and I imagine that Luffy will be fighting that midget soon. I guess we'll soon see if Mr 3's wax keys can open a Level 3 cell (or alternatively, they could just find the keys). I imagine Mr 3 will be willing to take a chance with Bon Clay - he's terrified about being on Level 3...

Hmm, I wonder if Mr 3 + Buggy + Bon Clay will start operating separately from Luffy...? I certainly imagine that Mr 3 and Buggy would much prefer that. Though if Bon Clay finds out Luffy came to Impel Down to save his brother, I wouldn't be surprised if he wanted to help Luffy.
Old 2009-01-27, 13:05   Link #5
Sazelyt
Μ ε r c ü r υ

Bon chan all alone, singing his song with no friend to hear. I can't wait for the two to meet. He will be shockingly strange even for someone like Buggy, but, Mr. 3 is bound to free him.
Old 2009-01-27, 13:10   Link #6
marvelB

Seeing as the bluegori leader somewhat resembles Chopper, I kinda hope that he has a Zoan DF power. Maybe something that makes him grow humongous (like a rhino fruit or something). Either that, or he controls those "guardian beasts" that were mentioned before.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fipskuul View Post
Bon chan all alone, singing his song with no friend to hear. I can't wait for the two to meet. He will be shockingly strange even for someone like Buggy, but, Mr. 3 is bound to free him.

Bon's definitely singing and dancing with his cellmates when he appears. You can even see it in the spoiler pics. But yeah, I can't wait for him to meet Luffy, as well. Their reunion is long overdue......

Oh, and Usopp in the kung fu garb on the title page art makes him look like Jyabura, IMO.

Edit: Haha, I just realized something: Level 3 is supposed to be reserved for criminals for bounties of 50+ milion, yet Bon Clay is there.... who has a bounty of 32 million (and here's the pic for proof):

Spoiler:

Guess the marines figured that trannies are more dangerous than their bounties imply.

Last edited by marvelB; 2009-01-27 at 14:22.
Old 2009-01-27, 15:01   Link #7
Rainbowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
Wahoo! Spoiler's out early! Here's what's known so far:

-Sengoku is informed about Luffy's infiltration into Impel Down. He gets pissed, but Garp simply finds the situation funny. Apparently, the only other person who was known to escape from Impel Down was the "Gold Lion" (who will be the villain in the upcoming movie 10), but that happened 20 years ago.....

Hmm..... So Oda's tying a movie 10 character into the manga, eh? I wonder if this means that the events of the movie will correspond with the manga, as well? I'd think that would be rather difficult to pull off. Either way, I think this most definitely means that Sengoku will send either Garp or some other powerful marine to the prison now (maybe Akainu?).....
My great fear has been realised. Movie 10 will be a canon story. And that means... Nami would try and leave the Strawhat crew. And there's no telling what would happen if she does. The very thought of it has made me cry of sadness thinking she'll be out of the story permanently.

(12 little kittens crying)

Quote:
-The level 2 prisoners start a riot now that the sphinx fell down to level 3. Oh, lordy....

-Luffy, Buggy, Mr. 3, and the sphinx are all in level 3, which is the "hell of starvation".[1] The prisoners here have bounties of at least 50 million. Since level 4 is the "inferno floor", it gets pretty hot in level 3, as well.[2] It turns out that the boss of this floor is Sarudeath (I THINK that's how it's spelled), the bluegori commander, who also happens to be a midget .[3] Judging from the pics, it looks like those guys are already causing a great deal of chaos in level 3. Luffy's team seems to get caught in some sort of net that's made of seastone, which gets cut open by the sphinx, setting them free. There are also four "guardian beasts"[4] below level 3 (more bosses! yay!). At the end of the chapter Bon Clay appears, who's singing his old "Okama Way" song and dancing with his fellow inmates. Buggy and Mr. 3 encounter him in front of his cell.....

And of course, Bon Clay had to show up sooner or later. I guess Luffy was too busy fighting the bluegoris and sphinx to meet up with him right away. I also wonder how powerful the bluegori leader is.... he looks kinda like Chopper, but a bit more.... evil. Maybe he has a DF power....?
[1]- Sounds like it should be named "hell of famine".
[2]- considering this "inferno floor" is right below, there's only one thing to say if I were there: <"HOT!HOT!HOT!HOT!HOT!HOT!HOT!!!!!!!!!!!!".
[3]- think we can get a picture of him?
[4]- I wonder if these four guardian beasts are based on the 4 guardians of Kyoto? i.e.: Genbu the Turtle, Suzaku the Phoenix, Seiryuu the Dragon, and Byako the Tiger.
Old 2009-01-27, 15:07   Link #8
Sazelyt
Μ ε r c ü r υ

Quote:
Bon's definitely singing and dancing with his cellmates when he appears. You can even see it in the spoiler pics. But yeah, I can't wait for him to meet Luffy, as well. Their reunion is long overdue......
Yeah, I missed that small panel, where there are some guys with their hands in the air (one actually doing bon-chan's favorite move). I am starting to wonder whether they are his crewmates. I don't really think his crewmates would survive the conditions there, but who knows, they may say, die with a friend, rather than spend all your life alone with torture...

I think he can become a good crewmember for the strawhats, but, him sharing similar fighting styles with Sanji complicates things a bit (and of course we don't know what his crewmembers are doing, if they are looking for Bon then those two are also expected to unite if he becomes free). Otherwise, I think, he is one of those guys you would want to have more moments in this kind of story. His personality is so unique, and he is fun.

Quote:
Edit: Haha, I just realized something: Level 3 is supposed to be reserved for criminals for bounties of 50+ milion, yet Bon Clay is there.... who has a bounty of 32 million.

Guess the marines figured that trannies are more dangerous than their bounties imply.
That bounty seems to be old, a number determined before his last capture. He might have done something do increase his bounty level above that. But, him being a tranny have to do something with that too. Maybe the warden hates trannies, and decided to punish him further for that.
Old 2009-01-27, 15:26   Link #9
ellifeedn
Thinker

Quote:
Edit: Haha, I just realized something: Level 3 is supposed to be reserved for criminals for bounties of 50+ milion, yet Bon Clay is there.... who has a bounty of 32 million (and here's the pic for proof):
Spoiler:

I think it's because Bon Clay is constantly singing and dancing. It pisses off the Warden and he probably hopes that more extreme torture would shut Bon Clay the hell up.
Old 2009-01-27, 15:36   Link #10
Blackbeard D. Kuma

The most interesting revelation for me in this chapter was finding out that Gold Lion was the only person to have ever escaped from Impel Down. Also, it was certainly a given that movie 10 would tie in to the current story, seeing as how Oda is personally writing the story and decided to have the film be released by the end of this year. He must have intentionally done this because they will most likely coincide somehow, which will therefore make it canon to the story. I'm also willing to bet that Gold Lion will be incredibly powerful, like on the same level as Sengoku, Garp, Rayleigh, and the emperors. Looking at the trailer for Movie 10, Gold Lion seems to be highly regarded by people like Whitebeard, Garp, and Shanks. That really says something about him.
Old 2009-01-27, 16:10   Link #11
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fipskuul View Post
That bounty seems to be old, a number determined before his last capture. He might have done something do increase his bounty level above that. But, him being a tranny have to do something with that too. Maybe the warden hates trannies, and decided to punish him further for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellifeedn View Post
I think it's because Bon Clay is constantly singing and dancing. It pisses off the Warden and he probably hopes that more extreme torture would shut Bon Clay the hell up.

Haha, funny how people are already agreeing with my little joke. Still, seeing as the government already hires a bunch of freaks (like the prison wardens or the midget boss that shows up in this chapter), I kinda doubt that they'd have that much animosity towards okamas. Maybe Bon Clay's bounty did increase after the BW incident......

As far as the whole Gold Lion thing goes..... well, as I said before, I'd think it would be pretty difficult for Oda to match up all of the movie 10 events with the manga. I think it's more likely that he'll just use some of the movie's elements in the main storyline (like "Gold Lion" Shiki himself), while the rest of the movie's content remains seperate from the manga. Of course, this will undoubtedly beg the question of how long it will be before Shiki appears in the manga's storyline......
Old 2009-01-27, 16:23   Link #12
Freya

Send a message via AIM to Freya
Haha I like that sphinx. It should grow a liking to Luffy and help him lol.
Old 2009-01-27, 17:04   Link #13
kari-no-sugata

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freya View Post
Haha I like that sphinx. It should grow a liking to Luffy and help him lol.
Hmm... that gave me a random thought: can Haki be used to loosely control animals? It can certainly affect them, and the Kuja use those snakes in interesting ways.

It could be a pretty good scene if Hancock turns the beasts within the jail against the gaolers, to give them a taste of their own medicine...

That Sphinx was bonding ok with Luffy last chapter. Hard to say about this chapter...
Old 2009-01-27, 17:26   Link #14
james0246

^Interesting idea. We have seen Haki used to force several animals to submit in the past, so I would not be surprised if a basic component of Haki is similar to the Animal Friend Perk from Fallout 3, or something to that effect.
Old 2009-01-27, 17:26   Link #15
Sazelyt
Μ ε r c ü r υ

We don't know anything about the sphinx. He may be used by the government just like the elbaf warriors at Enies Lobby. And since it is stupid, it can change sides easily to, as long as Luffy gives what it wants. Well, even if it doesn't bond with Luffy, if it enjoys the fun of destroying things at the lower levels, its troubles may be helpful enough for our guys.

About Haki, I really wonder whether it can be used in the current circumstances. It is not like the government hasn't thought about that. So, if you look at it from a balance point of view, the only one capable of disrupting that balance would be Luffy with his uncrontrollable haki. Maybe since he cannot control it, he will be able to use it the most important moment, he may need that. But, it would be real fun to see those creatures following Luffy, like the dugongs(?) in the Arabasta arc.
Old 2009-01-27, 17:46   Link #16
kari-no-sugata

Another thought: I dunno about that net being seastone - can't see it anywhere in the barely legible text or the partial script. There is mention of seastone cuffs though. If the net was seastone it got broke rather easily.

Also, I think the floor limit is 30m, not 50m.
Old 2009-01-27, 18:08   Link #17
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by kari-no-sugata View Post
Another thought: I dunno about that net being seastone - can't see it anywhere in the barely legible text or the partial script. There is mention of seastone cuffs though. If the net was seastone it got broke rather easily.

Also, I think the floor limit is 30m, not 50m.

I definitely saw "50 million" in that script, myself. Plus, it was confirmed in more than one translation....

As far as the seastone net goes..... I ran that part of the script through a few online translators and they all said that it was a seastone net as well, so it must be true. How the sphinx was able to rip it apart, I dunno..... maybe his claws are like diamonds, as well?

By the way, I also like the idea of the sphinx becoming an ally. He's really started to grow on me, and I think it would be a shame if he were simply KO'ed by Luffy and forgotten until the end of the storyline. He may as well stick around and join in on Luffy's riot!
Old 2009-01-27, 18:43   Link #18
Slayerx

Quote:
As far as the seastone net goes..... I ran that part of the script through a few online translators and they all said that it was a seastone net as well, so it must be true. How the sphinx was able to rip it apart, I dunno..... maybe his claws are like diamonds, as well?
Actually it just depends on how much seastone is in a seastone net...
A seastone net is meant for capturing DF users and it doesn't take much seastone to do that... a small amount of seastone can render a DF user paralyzed... a "seastone net" could very well be 10% seastone and 90% really strong rope... instead of making a net 100% out of seastone, they take a normal net and inbed small pebbles of seastone in it...

It will paralyze and catch a DF user, but still but cutable
Old 2009-01-27, 18:52   Link #19
Freya

Send a message via AIM to Freya
Quote:
I definitely saw "50 million" in that script, myself. Plus, it was confirmed in more than one translation....

By the way, I also like the idea of the sphinx becoming an ally. He's really started to grow on me, and I think it would be a shame if he were simply KO'ed by Luffy and forgotten until the end of the storyline. He may as well stick around and join in on Luffy's riot!
Yeah I wanna see all the beasts join in with Luffy. :]
Old 2009-01-27, 20:56   Link #20
james0246

Quote:
As far as the whole Gold Lion thing goes..... well, as I said before, I'd think it would be pretty difficult for Oda to match up all of the movie 10 events with the manga. I think it's more likely that he'll just use some of the movie's elements in the main storyline (like "Gold Lion" Shiki himself), while the rest of the movie's content remains seperate from the manga. Of course, this will undoubtedly beg the question of how long it will be before Shiki appears in the manga's storyline......
I expect that the shout-out to "Gold Lion" was in fact nothing more than a plug for the 10th movie. I doubt we will see anything about "Gold Lion" besides this brief plug.
Closed Thread