AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2008-12-28, 03:37   Link #1
RingoPango
=w=

DVD question: playing multiple zones

Is there a program/application which can allow the computer to play DVDs from multiple zones for ever? Cuz I'm really sick of the number of times my computer can play DVDs from different zones and I can only change it one more time
Old 2008-12-28, 04:58   Link #2
jpwong

Some DVD drives have hacks that allow it, but some it won't work. You'd have to look up for your drive specifically.

Personally what I'd do if your drive is unable to be "reset" is just use the installed DVD drive for your main region, and then buy a second external DVD ROM drive for another region and so forth. Costs a bit more, but as long as you don't need the whole DVD Burner, USB DVD ROMs are ussually dirt cheap at most stores I've been to.
Old 2008-12-28, 20:47   Link #3
RingoPango
=w=

Ok thanks for your advice! <3
Old 2008-12-28, 21:46   Link #4
Generic Asian Guy
^_^

Send a message via MSN to Generic Asian Guy
Take a look at AnyDVD (not free) or DVD43 (free)
Generic Asian Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-29, 01:31   Link #5
Shadow Kira01

Can't you just use the typical video player? Supposedly, bypassing the region code for a dvd player is quite simple. How about trying VLC player?
Shadow Kira01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-29, 02:39   Link #6
bayoab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Minato View Post
Can't you just use the typical video player? Supposedly, bypassing the region code for a dvd player is quite simple. How about trying VLC player?
No. Some video players, like WMP, that follow the specs check the region and will prompt you that it is the wrong region. Some video players, like VLC, ignore the region check and will allow you to watch any DVD from any region. (VLC is a piece of garbage for watching DVDs.) Most of the media players that ignore the region check are the open-source ones.

There are also multiple places that region flags are stored. Some of them are resettable, like WinDVD and Windows, and others are not, like the one in your DVD player's firmware (if it exists and it is only perm when it hits 0).
bayoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-29, 21:57   Link #7
RingoPango
=w=

^ thanks I'll try DVD43

VLC doesn't work for me (I use a Mac, maybe its different on a PC?) I tried playing a Japanese DVD b4 but it just crashed....
Old 2009-01-01, 16:51   Link #8
Tran225

hey i think i have similar problems im not sure but i bought this anime from bestbuy and my PC wont play it says "Window Media cant play this file b/c there is a problem with digital copy protection between your dvd drive and decoder and video card"
Tran225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-01, 20:29   Link #9
jpwong

I think that's a different problem, since if it was a region issue the error message ussually mentions that the DVD Player is not set to the proper region.

What you're experiencing seems to be more of an actual DRM problem. Could be a similar case for when games won't install because you have some software installed that makes it think you're trying to circumvent the copywrite protection. Perhaps it's designed to not allow playback on PCs, much the same way as some Japanese CDs will not permit PC playback without downloading some japanese only DRM software.

What DVD are you trying to play? You might be able to find out if other people have similar issues with that series, or whatnot.
Old 2009-01-01, 23:19   Link #10
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

or just use any simple dvd iso ripping program such as dvddecrypter, rip the dvd to your harddrive temporarily (removing copy protection as well as region coding in the process), use a virtual drive tool like daemon tools or similar, mount the iso and watch in any media player

takes a bit of temporary harddrive space but is more or less guaranteed to work with all dvd's and doesn't require any firmware mods

note: circumventing copy protection (including region coding) for any reason is illegal in some countries (including the US), lawl

edit: @tran225: that anime doesn't happen to be on bluray or hddvd now does it? because HDCP shouldn't be required for any standard DVD
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
TheFluff is offline   Reply With Quote