AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2007-04-12, 00:28   Link #1
Phantom-Takaya
INTJ
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Phantom-Takaya Send a message via MSN to Phantom-Takaya Send a message via Yahoo to Phantom-Takaya
Unix

This might sound a little crazy, but I've been trying to find a way to get a copy of UNIX. I don't care if I have to pay for it, but from the tons and tons of research I did, I couldn't even verify who truly owns UNIX (the OS, not the trademark or name) at this point. I know there's BSD, HP's UNIX, IBM's UNIX, Sun's Solaris and a few others out there, but I'm actually searching for UNIX as in the code before those companies and universities started making OSs based on the code. Right now, I'll admit I'm pretty confused. I've been told BSD is the closest I can get to UNIX, but before I decide to simply grab both FreeBSD and OpenBSD, I want to see if there's a way to get UNIX, itself. Can anyone help?
Phantom-Takaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-12, 00:58   Link #2
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

If your research didn't include the Wikipedia article yet, I'd start there. It's a pretty accurate portrayal of the history of Unix: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unix

I doubt you can obtain the source code to Unix® itself, but the BSD branch is well-represented by FreeBSD and OpenBSD, and the best-developed representative of the AT&T SVR4 branch is probably OpenSolaris. Linux adheres to the POSIX standard, which is closer to SVR4 than BSD.

Since the source code for all these flavors is open, you're probably best off just picking one of these to pore over. OpenSolaris may be the closest thing to the original AT&T Unix currently available. From the Wikipedia article:

"In 2005, Sun Microsystems released the bulk of the source code to the Solaris operating system, a System V variant, under the name OpenSolaris, making it the first actively developed commercial Unix system to be open sourced (several years earlier, Caldera had released many of the older Unix systems under an educational and later BSD license). As a result, a great deal of formerly proprietary AT&T/USL code is now freely available."

As for the question you pose, "who truly owns UNIX," we won't know the answer to that until SCO v. Novell is decided. My money's on Novell.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-12, 01:41   Link #3
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Probably... the closest you're going to lumber to it is either OpenSolaris or FreeBSD or OpenBSD (depending on which religion you subscribe to ).

Even OpenSolaris has undergone a batsnest of change over the years but it does have the cleanest lineage I think.
Old 2007-04-12, 02:40   Link #4
Syaoran
Inactive Member

Isn't the version closest to the original, SCO Unix?
Anyway, if it's from IBM, SCO, Solaris etc... it's not gonna be cheap.

I worked with IBM AIX and that seemed pretty close to the basic Unix. Since some stuff worked different than with Linux, I studied with a Unix book and I haven't seen anything that wasn't covered, or it had to do with credentials I didn't have on that box.
Syaoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-12, 02:45   Link #5
Phantom-Takaya
INTJ
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Phantom-Takaya Send a message via MSN to Phantom-Takaya Send a message via Yahoo to Phantom-Takaya
I did read about UNIX in Wikipedia, though it seemed the information given was written in a runabout way at the end. This is one of the reasons I'm confused.

I did come across OpenSolaris during my research, though it seems it was abandoned by Sun... and replaced by Solaris Express? Though, this causes me to wonder as to which distribution is closest to the UNIX original?

Then when it comes to BSD, it was suggested to me because I had indicated that I did not want to include Linux as an option. I was informed that FreeBSD was the most stable, while OpenBSD was the most secure.

In any case, I'm still open to suggestions and ideas. I have no special choice as of yet. All I am really looking for is to get as close to the original of UNIX as much as possible. GUIs don't concern me too much since I'm more interested in the shell scripting aspect of it. So, basic GUIs are what I would prefer if it comes to making such a decision.

Unfortunately, the more I research and learn, the more questions I have. I must thank you both for responding to me, and I'm still looking forward to the help and suggestions you and everyone else provide.
Old 2007-04-12, 02:49   Link #6
Phantom-Takaya
INTJ
*IT Support

I don't mean to double post...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syaoran View Post
Isn't the version closest to the original, SCO Unix?
Anyway, if it's from IBM, SCO, Solaris etc... it's not gonna be cheap.
I realise that. I'm looking into the $700 range and up if I remember correctly. This is why I want to be sure I choose the right one that works with what I'm looking for.
Old 2007-04-12, 17:59   Link #7
Ledgem
Love Yourself

You don't have to reply to this if you don't want to, but the entire UNIX subject is pretty interesting. Your question makes me very curious: what are you planning to do? Make a new UNIX operating system?
Old 2007-04-12, 20:38   Link #8
Epyon9283
Geek

Send a message via ICQ to Epyon9283 Send a message via AIM to Epyon9283
Here are all of the "UNIX" operating systems:
http://www.opengroup.org/openbrand/register/

Solaris 10 for x86 is free from Sun. Thats probably the easiest/cheapest way to get UNIX.
Epyon9283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-12, 22:32   Link #9
Phantom-Takaya
INTJ
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
You don't have to reply to this if you don't want to, but the entire UNIX subject is pretty interesting. Your question makes me very curious: what are you planning to do? Make a new UNIX operating system?
I'm sorry if I seem vague, but... Yes. I'm considering of making a new UNIX operating system. I have some friends of mine who are willing to help me out, though I've taken it upon myself to acquire the necessary things to get started. UNIX being one of them. Thanks for asking, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epyon9283 View Post
Here are all of the "UNIX" operating systems:
http://www.opengroup.org/openbrand/register/

Solaris 10 for x86 is free from Sun. Thats probably the easiest/cheapest way to get UNIX.
Yep. I went digging around several days ago and had Sun send me both Solaris Express and Solaris 10 so I can try them out. I'm still waiting for them to arrive, but I'm still not completely sure about Solaris Express. Did it replace OpenSolaris?
Old 2007-04-12, 23:22   Link #10
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom-Takaya View Post
I'm sorry if I seem vague, but... Yes. I'm considering of making a new UNIX operating system. I have some friends of mine who are willing to help me out, though I've taken it upon myself to acquire the necessary things to get started. UNIX being one of them. Thanks for asking, though.
I take it this is either a hobbyist activity or you're trying to port Unix over to an architecture for which there isn't yet an implementation. For common architectures like i386 I'd venture to say we have enough flavors of Unix already.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-12, 23:33   Link #11
Phantom-Takaya
INTJ
*IT Support

Heh. No. That's not the plan. I have no intentions of simply adding another flavor to the UNIX mix. It's actually planned not to center around the basis of what a desktop OS is, per-say. It's planned to be more automated. I'm sorry to sound so vague, but I really can't explain it any other way. We've come to agree to keep most of what we have planned behind closed doors until we've got something concrete to show for our efforts. So, probably the latter of what you thought (trying to port UNIX over to an architecture for which there isn't yet an implementation) is closer to what we have in mind.

But, back to the subject and in leiu of what I've just said, I do wish to find UNIX in it's raw form before others have implimented it as a directive and a source code to go off of.
Old 2007-04-13, 09:06   Link #12
Loniat
Paranoid Android

Quote:
I'm sorry if I seem vague, but... Yes. I'm considering of making a new UNIX operating system.
Nice! And what is the best way to start if not asking around in an anime forum?
Loniat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-13, 09:55   Link #13
Phantom-Takaya
INTJ
*IT Support

I've had the concept for months. I've searched through through wikipedia and numerous other websites and forums, gone through chat servers and spoke with local teachers and programmers. It seems it's difficult to find some answers I seek. So, considering that this section does have something to do about technology, I thought I would try here as well.
Old 2007-04-14, 15:25   Link #14
Epyon9283
Geek

Send a message via ICQ to Epyon9283 Send a message via AIM to Epyon9283
Quote:
Yep. I went digging around several days ago and had Sun send me both Solaris Express and Solaris 10 so I can try them out. I'm still waiting for them to arrive, but I'm still not completely sure about Solaris Express. Did it replace OpenSolaris?

AFAIK Solaris Express is a distro of OpenSolaris. I got a DVD from Sun a couple of days ago including a couple of other distros like belenix and some others I can't remember the names of.
Epyon9283 is offline   Reply With Quote