AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Shin Sekai Yori

Notices

View Poll Results: Shin Sekai Yori - Episode 11 Rating
Perfect 10 11 23.40%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 16 34.04%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 10 21.28%
7 out of 10 : Good 6 12.77%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 4.26%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 4.26%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2012-12-11, 08:40   Link #121
momonae

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
There's this strange land where there are only two types of edible food: Apples and Oranges. You tell the youth of that land to eat freely, and to their heart's content, but you also tell them that they may not eat any Apples. Is that not essentially encouraging them to eat Oranges?
But the authority didn't tell the youth of that land to eat "freely, and to their heart's content" in the first place. I can't quote so read yourself around the part of the novel where Saki saw Shun and Satoru's affair.

Quote:
Um, because we don't see anybody having more than one sexual partner at a time. Saki and Maria seem perfectly monogamous with one another. Satoru seemed perfectly monogamous with Shun until Shun dumped him. Shun seemed perfectly monogamous while he was with Satoru.
But the conversation between the library and the kids implies....

Quote:
To the extent that we see their unnamed peers, they're portrayed in groups of two. They're portrayed as romantic couples, in other words. I don't recall ever seeing a group of three all holding hands, for example.
This is one of the reason why I said the anime's presentation is bad. And even if a group of three is in relationship do they hold hands together at the same time?
Old 2012-12-11, 09:30   Link #122
kuromitsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonae View Post
But the authority didn't tell the youth of that land to eat "freely, and to their heart's content" in the first place. I can't quote so read yourself around the part of the novel where Saki saw Shun and Satoru's affair.
Allow me:
倫理委員会も、教育委員会も、男女の交際に対しては、きわめて厳格だった。そのため、わたした ちの年齢では 、異性に対する思いは抑圧され、プラトニックに限定された。
その一方、男の子同士、女の子同士の場合であれば、度を超した親密さも大目にみられる雰囲気が あったために 、小数の例外を除くほとんど全員が、同性を、とりあえずの恋愛と性の対象にしていたはずだ。
Old 2012-12-11, 16:37   Link #123
Forsaken_Infinity

Quote:
Oh, one final note... As big of a Shun fan as I am (I wonder if I'm one of those "cheap fans" in Forsaken_Infinity's eyes ), I don't want Shun to come back. His death has more meaning, and this narrative has greater integrity, if he doesn't come back. If Shun comes back, it'll instantly remind me of how cheap death is in modern comic book universes.
No you're not I wasn't really referring to anybody in particular, and it was more a rage at people from elsewhere and at how I was getting vibes that the discussion was going to get very derailed here as well. Zealous isn't how I would describe the majority of AS posters really.

Quote:
You're right. Honestly, I found it surprising how these kids could survive (and largely in peace) for so long in spite of what happened during The Queerat War Adventure (i.e. "Summer Camp").

I seriously have to wonder if Satoru (and, by extension, his closest friends) have a bit of a privileged status due to Satoru's grandmother being head of the Ethics Committee.

With Shun, perhaps they gave him every last chance before he was just too far gone. With Saki, they were willing to overlook her arguably dangerous degrees of inquisitiveness, and with Mamoru they were willing to overlook his emotional fragility as long as he doesn't cause too many problems.

He's ideal for keeping in the dark, but that doesn't mean he's ideal for being an adult in this world. Like ogon_bat wrote, adults in this world likely have to HELP with the charade. I have serious doubts that Mamoru could do that.
If you're suggesting that this society allows for Nepotism, I somehow doubt it. It could go either way with people with stronger powers getting more leeway with corruption but I somehow doubt a society with that many dark secrets and with essentially every member capable of manipulating nature itself would allow for special treatment.

I think there are several other and much more plausible reasons behind the kids' survival.

For one, I don't think the society "wants" to get rid of their children. As long as they aren't very weak or very unstable, I think they want to keep the kids around. Why would they kill off these strong kids who not only survived a dangerous adventure but were also resourceful enough to get their cantus back when they're eventually going to be let in the secret as adults anyway? There is no reason to get rid of them. Not when they have proven themselves to have the mental aptitude to stay strong and resourceful.

For another, it could just be that the society can't really get rid of them as long as they were with humans. There is that whole death feedback deal. Satoru was right when he said they were most endangered when they were outside the village with the BakeNezumi. They are most safe right in the village. The adults could send a cat to hunt them etc. but that is probably not worth it unless it's an extreme case.

With Shun, the guy was a genius. His teacher clearly regretted his fate until the very end. A society that is so dependent on power to survive would be dumb to get rid of it's prodigies until it's just impossible to survive without getting rid of them.

Saki has proven to be very resourceful and to have great mental fortitude. If the preview is anything to go by ("you're the only one who can do this") then the village is rather impressed with her if anything.

Why would they get rid of Mamoru so long as he believes their stuff? They have ample time to slowly convert him. A pacified populace is ideal to rule with an iron fist with select emotionally strong leaders. Mamoru is more or less an ideal kid to brainwash and turn into a normal citizen for this world.
Old 2012-12-12, 04:56   Link #124
Rakshasa

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuromitsu View Post
Allow me:
Ahem... spoiler tags please? Just because you think no one can read moon language doesn't mean no one can.
Old 2012-12-12, 05:27   Link #125
kuromitsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakshasa View Post
Ahem... spoiler tags please? Just because you think no one can read moon language doesn't mean no one can.
...but it's not spoiler? It's from the part momonae mentioned which corresponds to episode 8 in the anime.

(I'd post a translation but I was waiting in case someone whose first language is English wants to do it. *shrug*)
Old 2012-12-12, 06:33   Link #126
momonae

Quote:
Allow me:
Spoiler for the part of the novel on the matter:
Yes, this is exactly the part I wanted to quote.
(I added spoiler tags, since I was already chided for the novel comparison.)
Old 2012-12-12, 13:51   Link #127
endlessabyss

What did Saki mean by there was confusion in Satou's eyes; that 'he had seen seen something completely irreconcilable with common sense'?
Old 2012-12-12, 15:36   Link #128
kuromitsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by endlessabyss View Post
What did Saki mean by there was confusion in Satou's eyes; that 'he had seen seen something completely irreconcilable with common sense'?
I think that was a bit of an unfortunate translation. Satoru watches Saki and Ryou return from a situation where he can easily deduce what they were talking about (Ryou basically asking her out), and he thinks "This does not compute, at all."

It's not made very obvious, but it's suggested that Satoru is weirded out by the entire situation. It takes Saki's question about why he liked Ryou to make him realize why, but he doesn't understand why he has memories of feeling so strongly for someone to whom he feels no connection whatsoever.
Old 2012-12-13, 03:01   Link #129
Rakshasa

Quote:
さとるの目を見たとき、そっくりとしたそこにあったのは、純粋(じゅんすい,pure,genuine)な 不可解さ(ふかかい,baffling,incomprehensible)でも形容(けいよう,disp lay)すべきだ…人が全く理解できない存在を見る時の目だった。

When I saw Satoru's eyes, in them there was displayed what I can only make out to have been genuine bafflement (pure incomprehensibility)... It was the eyes of a person who was seeing the existence of something he could not in any way comprehend.

Best I could make of it.
Old 2012-12-13, 15:32   Link #130
endlessabyss

Quote:
I think that was a bit of an unfortunate translation. Satoru watches Saki and Ryou return from a situation where he can easily deduce what they were talking about (Ryou basically asking her out), and he thinks "This does not compute, at all."

It's not made very obvious, but it's suggested that Satoru is weirded out by the entire situation. It takes Saki's question about why he liked Ryou to make him realize why, but he doesn't understand why he has memories of feeling so strongly for someone to whom he feels no connection whatsoever.
Situation? His strong feelings for a random person is what is causing him to be 'weirded out by the entire situation'? Why he found it odd for Ryou to ask Saki out?

What was going through Satoru's brain when he was passing by Ryou and Saki down the stairs? Is there a play-by-play on what is happening in his thoughts? because the anime only gave a snap-shot scene of Satoru oddly looking at Saki and Ryou.

---

(Sorry. It sometimes take me time to process information, and I really want to understand the anime/franchise, so please bear with me. Thanks. ^^; )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakshasa View Post
さとるの目を見たとき、そっくりとしたそこにあったのは、純粋(じゅんすい,pure,genuine)な 不可解さ(ふかかい,baffling,incomprehensible)でも形容(けいよう,disp lay)すべきだ…人が全く理解できない存在を見る時の目だった。

When I saw Satoru's eyes, in them there was displayed what I can only make out to have been genuine bafflement (pure incomprehensibility)... It was the eyes of a person who was seeing the existence of something he could not in any way comprehend.

Best I could make of it.
Thanks for the translation. It makes the scene more understandable.

Last edited by endlessabyss; 2012-12-13 at 22:46. Reason: Verb Tenses
Old 2012-12-13, 16:42   Link #131
CJ_Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
No, in the novel there was a specific reason for homosexual parings until adulthood. I don't know why the anime skipped over this. .
Shock value plain and simple. They knew that was going to be weird. . .this is Japan the Japanese aren't known for really being accepting of homosexual behavior. . .

actually, they laugh and point fun at it and other deviant behavior all the time... most people outside of Japan really wouldn't know, as they just don't talk about stuff like that, so yeah definitely for the shock value, otherwise, they wouldn't have skipped over it.

laughing at something is not accepting it
Old 2012-12-13, 19:13   Link #132
kuromitsu

Quote:
Situation? His strong feelings for a random person is what is causing him to be 'weirded out by the entire situation'? Why he found it odd for Ryou to ask Saki out?

What was going through Satoru's brain when he was passing by Ryou and Saki down the stairs? Is there a play-by-play on what was happening in his thoughts? because the anime only gave a snap-shot scene of Satoru oddly looking at Saki and Ryou.
He finds the whole situation odd, for the same reason as Saki. It's not that Ryou asked her out but seeing the two of them together just doesn't ring true. Also, he has a memory of feeling very strongly for Ryou and taking their break-up pretty badly, and yet he feels nothing for him, not even when he sees him asking someone else out. Like Saki, he knows he's supposed to have been in love with this guy and yet he can't imagine loving him. It takes Saki's question about why he fell in love with Ryou in the first place to make him realize that this is because it wasn't Ryou that he loved.
Old 2012-12-16, 19:04   Link #133
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Every nightmare that Saki has lived through is converging to be taking shape in the next episode.

For this one the writers linked back the unresolved plots that this show clearly made aware its audience to take note and save them.

- Reiko's getting spirited away from episode one.
- The school's tournament from episode two.
- The summer camp trip from before the time-skip in episode four.
- The aftermath of what they did that summer from before the time-skip in episode seven.

This is going to culminate with Saki and friends formally meeting with the secret chairman of the Committe of Ethics, Asahina Tomiko, Satoru's grandma.

Ok. Let's review what's the fearsome deal about the village's system:
Spoiler:

The result is ....
Spoiler:
Closed Thread