Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-07-29, 12:41   Link #1
Fuyukaze

Suggest anime

Im searching for two types of anime:
1. Atmospheric anime, like Haibane Renmei, Kino journey, Lain , gunslinger girl.
2.Action with comedy elements ,like angel beats.

All of your suggestions would be very helpful^^
Old 2010-07-29, 12:46   Link #2
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuyukaze View Post
1. Atmospheric anime, like Haibane Renmei, Kino journey, Lain , gunslinger girl.
Mushishi
Time of Eve
Kara no Kyoukai
5 Centimteres Per Second

Quote:
2.Action with comedy elements ,like angel beats.
Fullmetal Alchemist
To Aru Majutsu no Index
Summer Wars
Old 2010-07-30, 06:02   Link #3
Fuyukaze

Thanks for suggestions , i will start with Time of Eve and Toaru Majutsu no Index , they look interesting ^^
Old 2010-07-30, 21:51   Link #4
Marina
~La-la Land~
*Graphic Designer

Just gonna copy paste some of the ones I posted elsewhere, as well as add some more:
Atmosphere
  • Aria - mainly girls again who are gondoliers ("Undine") in a city titled Neo-Venezia on the planet Aqua. There are three wonderful seasons: Aria the Animation, Aria the Natural, and Aria the Origination.
  • Sora no Woto--Art style like K-On!, military girls, a somewhat beautiful/Europe setting post-apolyptic world. Also focuses somewhat on music, though the connection is fairly loose.
  • Mushishi--Episodic series following Ginko, a Mushishi. He studies the phenomenon of Mushi, a lifeform beneath insects, even more difficult to see than microscopic organisms. They seem to balance between the real world and the spiritual. If you like Aria, you'll most definitely like mushishi, which has a real dreamy/myterious sort-of feel to it.
  • Natsume Yuujinchou--2 seasons of this greatness. Also a bit of mix w/ slice of life. Natsume can see the spirit world. The episodic series traces his different encounters with spirits based largely on a book containing the names and powers of many spirits defeated by his grandmother.
  • xxxHOLIC--kinda like Natsume Yuujinchou, there are 2 seasons and the story focuses on a boy who can see spirits. A bit more comedy mixed into this series.
  • Mononoke--Mononoke is a spin-off of the Bakeneko story arc of Ayakashi - Japanese Classic Horror. It follows the Medicine Seller as he deals with various spirits or "Mononoke" in feudal Japan.
  • Ghost Hunt--Mai joins a group of people who specialize in ghosts.

Co-host of Kaiseki Anime Podcast
Find us on Apple Podcasts and Google Play

AniList

Sig: HSxHoneycomb
Old 2010-07-31, 13:12   Link #5
TCman

Hi,

I can suggest the following:

- Atmospheric anime =
Ergo Proxy
Witch Hunter Robin
Red Garden

- Anime with comedy and action =
Needless
Airmaster
Busou Renkin
History`s Strongest Disciple Kenichi
Old 2010-07-31, 18:49   Link #6
RenaRay

Quote:
Im searching for two types of anime:
Kino's Journey and Haibane Renmei are great. I especially like Kino's Journey. If you've only seen the TV series of Kino by the way, there are also some short movies.

Mokke - 2 sisters, one who can sense and is easily possessed by spirits, and another who can actually see the spirits. Each episode focuses on a different spirit. The setting is in a quiet rural Japanese village as the girls had to move away from the city and their parents to avoid too many spirits. However spirits are everywhere. The different variations in spirits give an interesting insight into Japanese mythology.

If you enjoy Mokke you may also like Figure 17, it has some atmosphere being in a rural setting also. There's also Telepathy Shoujo Ran on the same theme of 2 girls with supernatural powers but it has no real 'atmosphere' that I've seen so far being set in a typical town/school setting. There's also Alien 9 which has a unusual contrast between dark alien themes and cute designs, though you have to read the manga, the anime cut off early in the manga.

Someday's Dreamers - This is sort of a more serious and gentle take on the "magical girl" theme again with a somewhat quiet surburban town setting that gives it an element of gentle wonder.

Satoshi Kon's films - They usually have a strange and unusual atmosphere to them with reality blurring with imagination or myth e.g. Paprika, Tokyo Godfathers, Millenium Actress, Perfect Blue etc. (I haven't seen Memories and film/tv other work yet)

You're probably aware of them already but also Studio Ghibli has a lot of direct to DVD lesser-known works and old films that have been coming to DVD after the success of their more mainstream films.
Closed Thread