AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Old 2012-01-07, 23:02   Link #1761
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

All other reasons aside, at that time she simply wasn't eligible, due to having an earth nationality. Earth, being an unadministered planet with no magic culture, does not participate in the tournament.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-07, 23:18   Link #1762
Akiyoshi
The Flame Crussader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin_Brett View Post
Considering the tournament would inevitably involve fighting someone a good deal younger and less experienced than you, I'm not surprised none of the Numbers felt the need to participate, either.
That didn't stopped Einhart from landing quite the beating on Nove, tough xDU

...9 years ago, the day after never would be the same

~The ASFB~
Akiyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-07, 23:50   Link #1763
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author

Send a message via AIM to 00-Raiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
Erio and Caro spend most of their time on a backwater planet, and Subaru and Teana are full-time officers for the rescue squads and Enforcers. I don't find it too terribly surprising that none of them entered the tournament prior.
Yet we see that Erio, Caro, Subaru, Fate, etc, all get plenty of time to go on vacations and to attend the tournament anyways.
Old 2012-01-07, 23:51   Link #1764
rxrx

They will not have enough to train as the others as they hold a job perhaps?
rxrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-07, 23:58   Link #1765
Nanya01
Left for TFF
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Nanya01
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00-Raiser View Post
Yet we see that Erio, Caro, Subaru, Fate, etc, all get plenty of time to go on vacations and to attend the tournament anyways.
Uh...

Aren't most of them work-a-holics anyway?

The only reason they're even bothering to take time off is because Vivio, Lutecia and Meiura are all participating.

My fics Due to certain things, I am not here, find me over on TFF.
Nanya01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-08, 03:24   Link #1766
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author

Send a message via AIM to 00-Raiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by rxrx View Post
They will not have enough to train as the others as they hold a job perhaps?
Their job offers them plenty of training.
Old 2012-01-08, 05:59   Link #1767
novalysis

Quote:
Their job offers them plenty of training.
And that's why I feel it's quite unfair, since these elite TSAB mages tend to have far more combat experience than any teacher could viably imbue, easily.

In-fact, that's why I argue that Lutecia in ViVid is quite broken, for the simple fact that she has miles more REAL combat experience than all but a handful of her potential opponents. In addition to her Freakishly prodigious power, at the mere age of 10.

And so to would Fate Testarossa have been at the age 18. An 18 years old Fate likely could have routed almost any opponent on the DSAA without actual combat experience.

Fighting for your life is a very good teacher. Witness how many ranks the Forwards gained in Striker S, and how many times they fought for their lives. Remember Teena vs the 3 Combat Cyborgs? That's one example of what I'm taking about here.
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-08, 06:19   Link #1768
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
"Go to the tournaments as visitors" and "participating in the tournament" are two vastly different things.

It also largely depends on their jobs in the bureau. Teana and Fate were out of shape like hell compared to StrikerS because their jobs involve a lot of desk work.

And Erio and Caro don't participate because it's just not their thing. Something which can apply to a good majority of the cast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by novalysis View Post
And that's why I feel it's quite unfair, since these elite TSAB mages tend to have far more combat experience than any teacher could viably imbue, easily.
Not really. Sure, TSAB mages have more life-or-death combat experience, but that's not quite as relevant in a tournament where the battles aren't life-or-death. But when it comes to martial arts, a normal person can get the same amount of training done just fine.
Old 2012-01-08, 06:33   Link #1769
Key Board
Carbon

I don't think it's really fair to have artificial mages in a tournament. Artificial mages are designer babies, and Vivio and Lutecia had a really good (if crazy) designer

but well.. I suppose it's not too bad for people like Miura to get some experience fighting freaks like that

I'm curious if Nanoha or Teana ever participated in DSAA before, though. I'm pretty sure Signum would have been interested if she wasn't a few hundred years too old
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell
Key Board is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-08, 14:21   Link #1770
Akiyoshi
The Flame Crussader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Board View Post
I'm curious if Nanoha or Teana ever participated in DSAA before, though. I'm pretty sure Signum would have been interested if she wasn't a few hundred years too old
That makes me wonder...

According the StrikerS manga Special chapter it's implied that the broadcasted fight between Nanoha and Signum was the final one of a series of battles(possibly implying that both are finalists)? That means the TSAB also have it's own internal tournaments?

~The ASFB~
Old 2012-01-08, 14:37   Link #1771
Meltyred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akiyoshi View Post
That makes me wonder...

According the StrikerS manga Special chapter it's implied that the broadcasted fight between Nanoha and Signum was the final one of a series of battles(possibly implying that both are finalists)? That means the TSAB also have it's own internal tournaments?
It was more of a mock battle.
Showing off stuff.
So not a tournament.
Meltyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-08, 14:38   Link #1772
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Nah, those were exhibition matches.
Old 2012-01-08, 14:39   Link #1773
Akiyoshi
The Flame Crussader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
Nah, those were exhibition matches.
So, we can asume those were a bunch of exhibition matches mashed togheter? Well, it's not rare to hear of exhibition tournaments either xD.

you know, having a tournament just for the sake of showing cool stuff to the audience(like the Tenkaichi Budokai for example xD).

~The ASFB~
Old 2012-01-09, 15:53   Link #1774
Meltyred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy C View Post
Not likely I think. Although there seems to be no regulations against TSAB mages participating, Nanoha's skillset and part-time position means she can be called up unexpectedly to work on cases. That wreaks mayhem on participating in scheduled events like tournaments.
Second, Nanoha's fighting style is long-range aerial combat. That tournament ring would be like fighting in a phone booth to her. Fate, with a good range of melee attacks may be able to better adapt to fighting under such restrictions. But that brings us to the next point.
Third, do remember that this is the Intermediate-level tournament. There's probably a powerlevel celling for participants. I doubt AAA is within the accepted limits. If there was a veteran/master-level tournament, they might be qualified to enter, assuming the other two issues can be resolved. But whether they can last long against fighters nearly as powerful as themselves and with decades of experience remains to be seen.
I would just like to say that Nanoha's Signature tactic is close range binds and then blasting them in the face with a bombardment spell. (And not everybody can just break free of them like Signum.)
Spoiler for Later chapters:

Though Nanoha can't use her strongest spell.... (Though I imagine the stadium would be full of leftover mana for Nanoha to recycle into Starlight Breaker.)
Though I think flight is disallowed? (No Aerial mages so far, hmm.....)
I am sad that Erio didn't join, cause it would have been interesting to see him fight more...
A curious topic would be Lutecia's Limiter, it doesn't seem like a D rank, so maybe they raised it to B rank? (Which would be the average rank for intermediate level mages)
Meltyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-09, 16:04   Link #1775
Akiyoshi
The Flame Crussader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meltyred View Post
I would just like to say that Nanoha's Signature tactic is close range binds and then blasting them in the face with a bombardment spell. (And not everybody can just break free of them like Signum.)
To be fair Nanoha also has improved a lot into "bind & blast" combos, in the special Chapter she surprised Signum with a bind hidden in a shield reinforced by the blaster system putting Signum in a positionf where is difficult to move and even if the Knight of the Sword had have the strenght to destroy the bind Nanoha didn't allowed her the chance to do it as she alread has prepared a big gun to blast her pointblank. A pretty clever maneuver from the Ace of Aces.

Quote:
I am sad that Erio didn't join, cause it would have been interesting to see him fight more...
Seeing how the boy is fighting at the same level as Fate i think he's a bit overpowered for such a tournament.

Quote:
A curious topic would be Lutecia's Limiter, it doesn't seem like a D rank, so maybe they raised it to B rank? (Which would be the average rank for intermediate level mages)
I also think Lutecia's limiter(if any) was toned down(her reflect beam spell looks pretty complicated and powerfull for a D-rank mage).

~The ASFB~
Old 2012-01-09, 16:18   Link #1776
LostSome

Quote:
Now that I think about it... A Erio-Victoria fight could have been great.

Isn`t it annoying to learn to fight at different levels with the limiters ?
I can`t imagine being easy to just instantly getting used to the limiter`s being on and off...
LostSome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-09, 20:03   Link #1777
Akiyoshi
The Flame Crussader

Ohhhhh!!

Finally got the issue with the rounds cleared thanks to the translation. A match is comprissed of 4 rounds of 4 minutes each. The fights are really short but i gues what were looking is the Dragon Ball Z effect when movement speed and toughts are slowed down to help the reades to keep track of what's happening.

~The ASFB~
Old 2012-01-09, 23:20   Link #1778
Jimmy C

As I recall from Strikers, C to B rank is considered a major hurdle even for TSAB mages. If that's indicative of mage talent across the Dimensional Sea, then most of the participants in this tournament should be under B.
Jimmy C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-09, 23:25   Link #1779
Key Board
Carbon

I agree

but that only applies to nameless mooks like the one Einhart knocked out in in less then two minutes

all the named characters so far do not seem to fall under "your average TSAB mage"

heck, Vivio's friends are all monsters
Einhart has Hegemon genes
Rio is a mutant with dual elements
Corona is a golem prodigy

So it kinda makes me wonder about the kind of people our main characters hang out with.. are these people friends because they're all born/created above average and drawn to each other? or is there something about this friendship that pushes an otherwise normal person to beyond their limit?

It's hard for me to answer since most of Nanoha characters do not have normal origins
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell
Key Board is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-10, 00:50   Link #1780
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

I wouldn't be bothered by the named characters being more powerful than the 'grunt soldiers'... but the setting is that of an intermediate-level tournament for what is essentially a junior age-group. The same setting acknowledges that there's a level/age group that's higher than their current playing field.

It's the same sense as Prince of Tennis. The setting is that of a U-15 National-level tournament. The anime's mainly the one guilty of this, but it's difficult for me to take it seriously when you put in The US Open in the same magnitude. And every now and then, the so-called 'tennis pros or semi-pros' are humiliated before them 'Princes of Tennis' when it logically doesn't make any sense that 13-15 year olds are wrecking 'professional-tier grunts.'

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vivid