AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2013-01-03, 09:38   Link #25561
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Of course they would be easily captured. The previous one they captured, the ScanEagle, is a commercial fishery UAV repurposed for military usage.

They are trying to keep up with their jackpot claim of the RQ170, which is a major intelligence loss for the US. It is a image maintenance thing they are trying to do.

What is worrying is the actual HUMINT and real operations that might be given a green light, conducted by CIA-Mossad and the MEK. China may be pulled in like the Korean War.
Might...? It's already ongoing the shadow war, the sabotage and assassinations....but as Mossad head says, any option is preferable to all out war with Iran.
Old 2013-01-03, 10:21   Link #25562
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post

-White people steal land from native inhabitants
-Other group of white people take marginal island from them
-First group of white people think this is an unprecedented travesty and demand land back even centuries later

I don't much care for the particulars of what happened on the Falklands. It was centuries ago, England has squatters rights and has demonstrated the ability to defend it, the current local yokels wanna stay with the UK and the Argentinians are bloody hypocrites if they think they're not a country for the exact same reasons.
Yeah, it's pretty ridiculous at this point. Making claims that it is an example of 19th century colonialism conveniently overlooks the fact that Argentina is mostly populated by people of European descent. Sure, a country should have the right to govern itself regardless of where the inhabitants came from, but that claim makes it seem like they're playing the card of being an abused indigenous population... hardly the case. The referendum is more than sufficient. Speaking of which, I know Puerto Rico recently had such a referendum as well in which they narrowly voted for statehood, but I haven't heard much about it since.
Old 2013-01-03, 12:44   Link #25563
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post

-White people steal land from native inhabitants
-Other group of white people take marginal island from them
-First group of white people think this is an unprecedented travesty and demand land back even centuries later
Roger, read up on the issue before you comment on it. You would sound less idiotic.
There were no Natives on those island, unless you want to count the seabird.

Quote:
I don't much care for the particulars of what happened on the Falklands. It was centuries ago, England has squatters rights and has demonstrated the ability to defend it, the current local yokels wanna stay with the UK and the Argentinians are bloody hypocrites if they think they're not a country for the exact same reasons.
the current squatters are descendents of both english colonist and argentinan colonist who elected to stay after the English reasserted its rights over the island. The only ones kick out were the Argentina garrison.
Old 2013-01-03, 13:24   Link #25564
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

UK prime minister rebuffs Argentina over Falklands

President Fernandez should just quit with her obsession with the Falkland islands. She's only doing this to save her political career since her popularity plummeted after her failed attempt to tax rich farmers.

The islanders want to stay with Britain and that's final. Unfortunately, Fernandez refuses to recognize their existence and pretends their were never there as this quote explains:
Quote:
The BBC's Norman Smith says the prime minister had been clear that the right of the Falkland Islanders to determine their own future would not be compromised.

He said Downing Street wants the Argentine government to respect and abide by the outcome of the upcoming referendum.

Our correspondent said there was now a "diplomatic stand off" because Argentina's view is that the referendum is illegitimate and will have no bearing on their claim because they see the islanders as occupiers, rather than residents.
Old 2013-01-03, 13:56   Link #25565
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
Roger, read up on the issue before you comment on it. You would sound less idiotic.
There were no Natives on those island, unless you want to count the seabird.
I'm very much aware that the islands were uninhabited. But main land Argentina wasn't. There were natives who lived there for thousands of years before any white people arrived. Argentina doesn't really have much grounds to claim that squatters rights and the will of the majority of current inhabitants of an area aren't a legitimate means to assess ownership. If you applied that same standard to mainland Argentina, the only legitimate authority would be tribal councils of indigenous native Americans. But that'd be just daffy.

After some length of time, nations have to just accept that even territory *unjustly* conquered doesn't belong to them anymore. Even the Dailai Lama isn't seeking Tibetan independence anymore. He understands that Tibet has been ruled and settled by China too long for it NOT too be part of China. He's trying to pursue the rights of Tibetans in China as a matter of general human rights than political independence, and I think that's a wise move by this point.

Everyone would have cause for perpetual warfare with any other nation on earth if we weren't willing to accept the principle of long term possession.
Old 2013-01-03, 14:21   Link #25566
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Partygoer Jokes About The Steubenville Accuser The Night Of The Alleged Rape

Quote:
The video above was released today by the hacktivist outfit KnightSec, which has been leading the digital crusade in response to the alleged rape of a 16-year-old girl at the hands of two Steubenville (Ohio) High School football players. In the video, Michael Nodianos, a former Steubenville High student and baseball player, talks flippantly about the accuser on the night of the incident.
Nodianos has been connected to the case since the beginning. His tweets on the night of the alleged rape helped investigators form a hazy picture of what took place that night, and the video here was mentioned in a thorough New York Times story about the case, but was not readily available to the public until now.
http://deadspin.com/5972527/she-is-s...e-alleged-rape

Old 2013-01-03, 14:47   Link #25567
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Al-Jazeera buys Current TV in bid to expand in US

Quote:
Al-Jazeera, the pan-Arab news network that has struggled to win space on US cable television, has acquired Current TV, the channel co-founded by former US vice-president Al Gore.

The deal is intended to give al-Jazeera greater penetration into the US market. It will close Current and replace it with a new network, al-Jazeera America. Gore will become a member of the new network's advisory board.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2013...uys-current-tv

Old 2013-01-03, 14:57   Link #25568
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Lovely. Let's see the white supremacists and evangelist extremists attack the broadcast station.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2013-01-03, 15:16   Link #25569
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Lovely. Let's see the white supremacists and evangelist extremists attack the broadcast station.
There's plenty more than thoses than dislike that station...
Old 2013-01-03, 15:35   Link #25570
Dextro
He Without a Title

It's 'cash only' now for tourists at the Vatican

Quote:
VATICAN CITY (AP) - It's "cash only" now for tourists at the Vatican wanting to pay for museum tickets, souvenirs and other services after Italy's central bank decided to block electronic payments, including credit cards, at the tiny city-state.

Deutsche Bank Italia, which for some 15 years had provided the Vatican with electronic payment services, said Thursday that the Bank of Italy had pulled its authorization after Dec. 31.

The Corriere della Sera newspaper reported that the Italian central bank took the action because the Holy See has not yet fully complied with European Union safeguards against money laundering. That means Italian banks are not authorized to operate within the Vatican, which is in the process of improving its mechanisms to combat laundering.
http://m.apnews.com/ap/db_15860/cont...tguid=j8niPcbv
Old 2013-01-03, 16:43   Link #25571
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Ironically, Al Jazeera is better then any news the USA can offer.

Al Jazeera doesn't deserve the criticism it gets. Though they do interview some quacks on some of their shows (then again, they're mild compared to Fox, who hire the quacks to be regular contributors).
Old 2013-01-03, 16:51   Link #25572
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
Al Jazeera doesn't deserve the criticism it gets. Though they do interview some quacks on some of their shows (then again, they're mild compared to Fox, who hire the quacks to be regular contributors).
Depends on the criticism, really. Al Jazeera is often pretty blatantly Not A Friend of the Americans when it comes to Middle Eastern affairs, especially its Arabic-language side.

Kind of like how you pay attention to the bias when the BBC reports on British affairs or, worse, on the BBC. They're both legitimate news organizations that do a pretty good job overall, the Beep in particular is basically a trusted world institution (the recent scandal only illustrates the problem of the BBC reporting on the BBC), but all news organizations interpret things, pick stories, "sell" to an audience.

But yes, in my opinion I'd agree that it is cleaner than Fox, and potentially more competent than CNN.
Old 2013-01-03, 16:52   Link #25573
kyp275
Meh

I'm a sports fan and I enjoy watching football, but the one thing I despise the most when it comes to sports is the worship culture that surrounds so many collegiate and lower level football programs, as clearly demonstrated here.
Old 2013-01-03, 16:52   Link #25574
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Ironically, Al Jazeera is better then any news the USA can offer.

Al Jazeera is on my list of news sources, sadly there's only a handful of "US sources" I consider credible or even competent any more. The US corporate media not in the business of delivering information, they're largely just delivering uncritical eyeballs to advertisers or "narratives" to fit corporate needs.
Old 2013-01-03, 17:22   Link #25575
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenicus View Post
Depends on the criticism, really. Al Jazeera is often pretty blatantly Not A Friend of the Americans when it comes to Middle Eastern affairs, especially its Arabic-language side.
The problem is that people think that showing the human casualties of US actions around the world means you're automatically not a "Friend of America". But honestly, I don't want a news organisation to be a "Friend of America", I want it to tell the truth, and tell me things I don't know about. Al Jazeera does both.

Now I can't say as much about Al Jazeera Arabic, but what I would say is that Al Jazeera genuinely gives a voice to Arabs and their concerns throughout the Middle East. And it so happens many Arabs are (for good reasons) anti-American. But the only way for those anti-American views to be (correctly) disproved is for them to have a thorough airing in a public forum, and allow the better educated to disprove those views. As far as I'm aware, that's what Al Jazeera does.

And to go further, far from Al-Jazeera being anti-American, I think Al Jazeera does more to spread America's most important values of freedom and openness around the world, then any American institutions(particularly it's broadcasters).

People vilify Al Jazeera for the fact they showed the bad side of the Iraq war(and certain other expeditions), but to be honest, they were right to do so. The Bush administration was wrong, and they called them on it. Al Jazeera is a real friend, because they tell the truth, and don't mindlessly parrot back what they think you want to hear.

If you want a really genuinely anti-American station then look no further then Russia Today! What they say is pure poison. It's like Fox, but says the opposite!
Old 2013-01-03, 17:30   Link #25576
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

If Al Jazeera is trying to make a breakthrough on the news department of US television, I wonder how and why the BBC has not made a significant one yet after all those years. The BBC offers a lot of good news coverage overall to me.

Last edited by KiraYamatoFan; 2013-01-03 at 19:52.
Old 2013-01-03, 18:01   Link #25577
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Quote:
Now I can't say as much about Al Jazeera Arabic, but what I would say is that Al Jazeera genuinely gives a voice to Arabs and their concerns throughout the Middle East.
That's the point. :P It gives voice to Arabs, that's a good thing, but also an ambivalent thing. It's full of articles and editorials criticizing American policy in the Middle East. That's expected, and I don't begrudge them that. They maybe even right most of the time. And yes, America probably needs more of that sanity dose.

But at the same time you pay attention to who the news organization [claim to] represent. The BBC, and I'm only using this as an example of a media institution par excellence, will never say really bad things about the British royal family or criticize the very legitimacy of the British state. Even the most impartial is someone, and that someone has a viewpoint. Al Jazeera's identity is Arabic, though I should probably clarify as a relatively politically liberal and cosmopolitan subgroup of Arabic (especially true in its English identity).
Old 2013-01-03, 18:13   Link #25578
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiraYamatoFan View Post
If Al Jazeera is trying tomake a breakthrough on the news department of US television, I wonder how and why the BBC has not made a significant one yet after all those years. The BBC offers a lot of good news coverage overall to me.
The BBC gets several hours a day on US television and radio via public broadcasting stations (depending on your local PBS quality). They have a cable channel I believe (of no use to people who don't buy cable, of course). My recent annoyance with the American feeds of BBC, Deutsche Welke, or European Journal is that they've started hiring American announcers and frankly, it isn't just the accent - the average clue meter and professionalism takes a hit (dark glares reserved for US communication curricula). I suppose they think Americans aren't comfortable with anything but bleached blondes (either sex) and Midwest accents.

NHK News also has an American feed but they have trouble getting PBS stations to air them properly.
Old 2013-01-03, 18:57   Link #25579
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

I get NHK world, I found the announcers vaguely vacuous (though a lot of the stuff they show is nifty). I think it's the transplanting of the Japanese broadcasting style into English (which perhaps says more about Japanese TV then it does about NHK world...).

As for the BBC, it does criticize Britain and it government a reasonable amount, and if it appropriate they will interview anti-monarchists etc. Something of note about Al-Jazeera is that it has a lot of BBC veterans, and uses a very similar style. I'd argue they do it better then the BBC does. Al Jazeera Arabic journalists were largely taken from the closed down BBC Arabic station.

BBC has the better documentary team though, though it's very hard to track down BBC documentaries online. Big stuff like "Planet Earth" can be found easily, but more niche releases don't get put up anywhere, and if it does get put up the BBC just gets it taken down. One thing I like about AL Jazeera is that it puts up all it's documentaries online, which I wish the BBC would do more consistently. Al Jazeera has the better online strategy.
Old 2013-01-03, 18:58   Link #25580
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I found some America regions just cannot understand what various British speakers are saying. Especially trying to get Highlander Scottish with a Texan. They just cannot understand each other very well.

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international