AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2013-01-03, 19:23   Link #25581
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

U.S. ends long Google probe with only mild reprimand
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...9020HK20130104
Old 2013-01-03, 19:37   Link #25582
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
I found some America regions just cannot understand what various British speakers are saying. Especially trying to get Highlander Scottish with a Texan. They just cannot understand each other very well.
I might sign up for the notion if it weren't that Brit broadcasters for BBC World are about as clear as it gets. Though it does remind me of my wife's company who very brightly put their central call center in Muscle Shoals, Alabama.

The call complaints went through the roof asking what country the call center had been outsourced to. No one could understand the phone operators.
Old 2013-01-04, 04:30   Link #25583
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

NASA might go where no one has gone before and try to moon the moon

http://now.msn.com/nasa-considers-pl...-own-satellite

Quote:
NASA is reportedly mulling over plans to lasso an asteroid and force it to orbit the moon as its own little satellite. In the ultimate landscaping (or rather, spacescaping) project, researchers at California's Keck Institute for Space propose launching a slow-moving spacecraft, catching a space rock in a giant sack and hauling it back to the moon to place it in high lunar orbit. Why? To make it possible for astronauts to visit a near-Earth asteroid without traveling quite so far. The brainiacs at Keck estimate the whole plan should take a mere 10 years and cost a cool $2.6 billion. No word on how giving the moon a buddy would affect our ocean tides, let alone our horoscopes.
I am not quite sure what to make of this idea. The stated goal sounds odd to me aside from making for a shorter trip to an object that isn't "as big" as the Moon.

I can think of a few other things it can be used for. Mining resources relatively close to Earth. Testing projects for future exploration missions outside Earth's orbital plane.

Threating everyone with global destruction....
Old 2013-01-04, 04:39   Link #25584
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
NASA might go where no one has gone before and try to moon the moon

http://now.msn.com/nasa-considers-pl...-own-satellite

I am not quite sure what to make of this idea. The stated goal sounds odd to me aside from making for a shorter trip to an object that isn't "as big" as the Moon.

I can think of a few other things it can be used for. Mining resources relatively close to Earth. Testing projects for future exploration missions outside Earth's orbital plane.

Threating everyone with global destruction....
First thing is it means we don't have to go down into another deep gravity well to do things "out there". A small asteroid would be like the wonderful basis for a very large space station out at a decent location for doing things you really can't do well in Low Earth Orbit.
Old 2013-01-04, 04:47   Link #25585
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Better source material for that article I guess:

http://www.newscientist.com/article/...ons-orbit.html

Their target is a 7 meter wide asteroid.

That doesn't sound worth it to me, though it isn't really dangerous (the small article doesn't give that little bit out so it brings out all the bad thoughts about mile wide asteroids planet killers)

On the other hand that is about the size of a small house I suppose. I just could be off because I don't generally messure things in meters. At least not in the single digits. I use feet for that.
Old 2013-01-04, 04:57   Link #25586
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

What if gravity behaves like electromagnetic waves, and the interacting gravity flux generated causes a singularity?

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2013-01-04, 04:59   Link #25587
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Can we use it for power? For transportation? Otherwise I would think the 7 meter rock would fall into it and cause it to collape.
Old 2013-01-04, 06:45   Link #25588
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Swiss bank Wegelin to close after guilty plea
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...9020O020130104
Quote:
Wegelin & Co, the oldest Swiss private bank, said on Thursday it would shut its doors permanently after more than 2 1/2 centuries, following its guilty plea to charges of helping wealthy Americans evade taxes through secret accounts.
Old 2013-01-04, 07:15   Link #25589
sa547
*Author

There goes the first of the gnomes.
Old 2013-01-04, 07:27   Link #25590
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
First thing is it means we don't have to go down into another deep gravity well to do things "out there". A small asteroid would be like the wonderful basis for a very large space station out at a decent location for doing things you really can't do well in Low Earth Orbit.
I say, why not we pull one, strip mine it, launch it towards the sun, then pull another?

Space Lab + More Resources.

Quote:
Can we use it for power? For transportation? Otherwise I would think the 7 meter rock would fall into it and cause it to collape.
7m is about the distance between 2 rubber trees in a rubber plantation. If we spin it at a high enough speed (possible due to the lack of air resistance) maybe we can create a portal.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2013-01-04, 10:39   Link #25591
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Looking to the next debt-ceiling fight, Nadler proposes a trillion-dollar coin trick
http://www.capitalnewyork.com/articl...ion-dollar-coi
Quote:
"There is specific statutory authority that says that the Federal Reserve can mint any non-gold or -silver coin in any denomination, so all you do is you tell the Federal Reserve to make a platinum coin for one trillion dollars, and then you deposit it in the Treasury account, and you pay your bills," Nadler said in a telephone interview this afternoon.
How could Washington avoid a debt ceiling default? Mint a few trillion dollar platinum coins. Seriously
http://www.aei-ideas.org/2012/12/how...ins-seriously/
Old 2013-01-04, 10:46   Link #25592
willx
Nyaaan~~

^ Cool. It worked in Zimbabwe.

Old 2013-01-04, 11:39   Link #25593
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by willx View Post
^ Cool. It worked in Zimbabwe.
Exactly. If you want to crash the economy, go ahead. All of a sudden a dollar today is worth crap tomorrow. The rich are still rich, just not as much. The middle class becomes the poor, and the poor become... ultra poor? Zombies? I don't know.
Old 2013-01-04, 13:09   Link #25594
Bri

Quote:
Better source material for that article I guess:

http://www.newscientist.com/article/...ons-orbit.html

Their target is a 7 meter wide asteroid.

That doesn't sound worth it to me, though it isn't really dangerous (the small article doesn't give that little bit out so it brings out all the bad thoughts about mile wide asteroids planet killers)

On the other hand that is about the size of a small house I suppose. I just could be off because I don't generally messure things in meters. At least not in the single digits. I use feet for that.
Seems like a clever idea. Space mining and research within reach of the relative safety of home. Shouldn't be impossible to ferry astronauts from the ISS. Would also help to provide materials for a future moon base assuming there will ever be one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
Swiss bank Wegelin to close after guilty plea
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...9020O020130104
Just the shell company that was left after selling off all the banks Swiss assets. They sacrificed the company name, but little else.
Old 2013-01-04, 14:18   Link #25595
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

it will also provide plenty of material for a Rail Gun...pointed at Earth.
Old 2013-01-04, 16:09   Link #25596
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Hagel likely to be nominated for Defense Secretary next week
http://firstread.nbcnews.com/_news/2...next-week?lite
The guy is a Republican than isn't a pro-Israel, right ?
Old 2013-01-04, 16:41   Link #25597
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
it will also provide plenty of material for a Rail Gun...pointed at Earth.
Good call.

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2013-01-04, 16:47   Link #25598
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
Hagel likely to be nominated for Defense Secretary next week
http://firstread.nbcnews.com/_news/2...next-week?lite
The guy is a Republican than isn't a pro-Israel, right ?
he is one of the last sane republicans left.
Old 2013-01-04, 17:20   Link #25599
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

George Lucas Engaged to DreamWorks Animation Chairman Mellody Hobson

Quote:
The duo has been romantically linked since 2006.

Just months after selling Lucasfilm Ltd. to Disney, George Lucas is ready for another big change: marriage.

The Star Wars writer-director is engaged to longtime girlfriend and DreamWorks Animation chairman Mellody Hobson, a rep for Lucasfilm confirms to The Hollywood Reporter. It will be the first marriage for Hobson, 43, and the second for Lucas, 68.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...engaged-408012

Old 2013-01-04, 17:28   Link #25600
willx
Nyaaan~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
Good call.
Now I have to go watch all the seasons of Justice League again .. especially the Wonder Woman x Batman episodes ..

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international