Notices

Old 2013-10-26, 00:28   Link #2181
GrrDraxin

Send a message via Yahoo to GrrDraxin
Yes, indeed. Thank you very much!
Old 2013-10-26, 00:44   Link #2182
Om Nerabdator
~Maru~

Very nice and rushed final chapter.......or is it!?

Seems Nagi has finally combined into the Dragon God...if that makes any sense, he was definitely speaking to obaa as the true dragon god near the end
Old 2013-10-26, 07:32   Link #2183
LeaD36
LeaDfactor

Send a message via MSN to LeaD36
Next chapter: Nagi manifests a new law on the island allowing polygamy. -> he marries all 3 maidens, rinne and even his teacher.
Called it here first.
LeaD36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-26, 08:47   Link #2184
ta2666

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaD36 View Post
Next chapter: Nagi manifests a new law on the island allowing polygamy. -> he marries all 3 maidens, rinne and even his teacher.
Called it here first.
U forgot the actress girl
ta2666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-26, 08:56   Link #2185
NaweG
Just some guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ta2666 View Post
U forgot the actress girl
At that rate you might just presume he will reinvoke the royal right to have the first time with any woman on the island.

In fact, Japanese (and Western) lore is full of examples of making deals with various demons and demi-gods to get them to leave the rest of the population alone.

Given that, you could imagine that the island made a "deal" with the dragon god many years ago that if he was given his pick of the maidens, that he would leave them alone as well as bring prosperity to the island.

If that IS the background, then you can understand why Obaa might be reticent to rejoice at the Dragon God appearing to change (if not completely break) the deal. If he really is all powerful, then you might understand folks wanting to keep a wary eye for what he might do next.

If that is where this is going, then it may be a better story than I was thinking it was going to end up being. It could also mean we really do have a lot more story left to go.

Of course it could also just be that the next chapter is a several year skip and we still end up with Starship's version of the ending (Nagi in college and the girls taking turns with him there).

Last edited by NaweG; 2013-10-26 at 08:57. Reason: Typing faster than thinking leaves typos
NaweG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-27, 07:59   Link #2186
Starshipw
Free Opinions Available

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaweG View Post
If that is where this is going, then it may be a better story than I was thinking it was going to end up being. It could also mean we really do have a lot more story left to go.

Of course it could also just be that the next chapter is a several year skip and we still end up with Starship's version of the ending (Nagi in college and the girls taking turns with him there).
It would be nice if it could be wrapped up as tidily as that, if this is indeed the end of the story. << Does anybody know, has there been any announcement, whether Umi is ending now? >>

Right now Nagi appears to be an all-powerful Dragon God playing at being a high school student.

I have one item of confusion. In chapter 110 when Nagi is bathing in the ocean preparing for the festival, Obaa tells him, "The Dragon God becomes to immersed in worldly matters, so I would like you to soak in the ocean about once a month." This says she expects him to be around for a long time.

Now in chapter 121 Obaa asks, "Why did you return? Normally you would leave after the Rising Dragon Festival." This seems like a contradiction.
Starshipw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-27, 09:37   Link #2187
GrrDraxin

Who knows how long a time it was between then and now. What she said implies that was several weeks if not months before. But in actual time story wise it seems like only a few days to a week at most. So I can see how it can seem like a contradiction there.
Old 2013-10-27, 09:51   Link #2188
kazzuya13

I hope their is no major time skip.
Old 2013-10-27, 19:18   Link #2189
GrrDraxin

No guarantee that it won't happen at this point, and none that it will either. At this time, it's almost perfect to have one after Nagi explains the situation to Obaa, and tries to reassemble his purpose there. It probably wouldn't be a long one.
Old 2013-10-27, 19:34   Link #2190
NaweG
Just some guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starshipw View Post
I have one item of confusion. In chapter 110 when Nagi is bathing in the ocean preparing for the festival, Obaa tells him, "The Dragon God becomes to immersed in worldly matters, so I would like you to soak in the ocean about once a month." This says she expects him to be around for a long time.

Now in chapter 121 Obaa asks, "Why did you return? Normally you would leave after the Rising Dragon Festival." This seems like a contradiction.
My thought would be that we're looking at one of two possibilities (assuming that we're understanding the original correctly - I suppose I should take a look at that chapter's raws some time):

1) She knew dang well what was going to happen and wanted to keep him in the dark about it. So making sure his guard was down in any way possible would seem to be in her best interest.

2) It's possible that the "vessel" of the Dragon God's reincarnation usually comes back, but not with the God still present. IOW, maybe in all this she expected Nagi to return, but not still with the DG present. Of course you would then wonder why she would bother to tell him to do that if it was going to take care of itself sooner than later...

Am hopeful that we have many chapters left to answer this and more. I'd prefer to think this was all on purpose than that the mangaka got hurried to end it all, and got sloppy.

As for the question about it ending, I saw nothing in the chapter or the promo text to suggest this is the last chapter. I did see a couple RAW sites list this as the final one, and then within a day they both changed their listing. It's possible there was a net rumor or something else that got folks confused.
Old 2013-10-28, 00:10   Link #2191
crossguy
Confused. As usual.

The Author is a master at making a short period of time take up several chapters.
This chapter reads like a "hurry up" ending-and possibly is. Where this discussion leads to is a comparison to his previous work, and it seems to me that he neatly wrapped up all the loose ends. This chapter is different, in that there is a three day lapse in the hospital, and another after the hospital. "Several days later." School starts.....aaand we are still clueless to where this ride is going.
One of the things that made this story so compelling was the complete lack of any "supernatural" qualities in the character of Nagi. Since ch. 109 we are looking at EVERYTHING from a different point of view.It opens a lot of doors, but it closed a lot too. I feel like the long break will help the author decide if he wants a new story arc, or a finale.

I know what I'd like- how bout your ideas?

Last edited by crossguy; 2013-10-28 at 00:11. Reason: curious.
crossguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-28, 23:51   Link #2192
velvet nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossguy View Post
The Author is a master at making a short period of time take up several chapters.
This chapter reads like a "hurry up" ending-and possibly is. Where this discussion leads to is a comparison to his previous work, and it seems to me that he neatly wrapped up all the loose ends. This chapter is different, in that there is a three day lapse in the hospital, and another after the hospital. "Several days later." School starts.....aaand we are still clueless to where this ride is going.
One of the things that made this story so compelling was the complete lack of any "supernatural" qualities in the character of Nagi. Since ch. 109 we are looking at EVERYTHING from a different point of view.It opens a lot of doors, but it closed a lot too. I feel like the long break will help the author decide if he wants a new story arc, or a finale.

I know what I'd like- how bout your ideas?
personally i'd like this story to end ASAP.

i can't pinpoint any global underlying theme. it's a huge mess. was the whole point story about each character growing and changing? or nagi coming to terms with himself that he has to make a choice?

where is the author going with the story? the festival is ruined but there's no consequence.
velvet nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-29, 00:28   Link #2193
XFire
150% done

Quote:
Originally Posted by velvet nightmare View Post
personally i'd like this story to end ASAP.

i can't pinpoint any global underlying theme. it's a huge mess. was the whole point story about each character growing and changing? or nagi coming to terms with himself that he has to make a choice?

where is the author going with the story? the festival is ruined but there's no consequence.
It was about individual growth. The festival was a focal point, used to bring all that character development to it's climax.

Incidentally, Nagi's character development was realizing he didn't need to make a choice.

The festival wasn't ruined. It was beaten. Nagi was supposed to "return to the sea" with his chosen maiden. Well, that happened. And then he brought her back. There is no point left on which to argue about it.

And there is one more arc I'd like to see before the story comes to a close.

How the bloody fuck is Nagi going to explain all this to his dad?
Old 2013-10-29, 00:33   Link #2194
MAX_COLA_POWER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by XFire View Post
It was about individual growth. The festival was a focal point, used to bring all that character development to it's climax.

Incidentally, Nagi's character development was realizing he didn't need to make a choice.

The festival wasn't ruined. It was beaten. Nagi was supposed to "return to the sea" with his chosen maiden. Well, that happened. And then he brought her back. There is no point left on which to argue about it.

And there is one more arc I'd like to see before the story comes to a close.

How the bloody fuck is Nagi going to explain all this to his dad?
Nagi: Turns out I'm an island immortal, and if you don't approve of this, well FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!

Dad: Seems legit. DAUGHTERS IN LAW!
Old 2013-10-29, 21:37   Link #2195
GrrDraxin

Well, irregardless of whom Nagi would marry, it seems he may end up with no less than 2 children from the maidens soon, and that's being conservative here. After all, you can't just have unprotected sex and not expect at least one of the girls to get knocked up. I guess what future chapters will be about is who shows signs of it first, and/or if all of them, and Nagi coming to terms with being a father while still in high school.

His dad may or may not have expected this to happen, so it's debatable how this will go down on family issues, and what Nagi and the girls will do to form their own family to care for the coming kids, if it all goes that way.
Old 2013-10-29, 23:31   Link #2196
MAX_COLA_POWER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrrDraxin View Post
Well, irregardless of whom Nagi would marry, it seems he may end up with no less than 2 children from the maidens soon, and that's being conservative here. After all, you can't just have unprotected sex and not expect at least one of the girls to get knocked up. I guess what future chapters will be about is who shows signs of it first, and/or if all of them, and Nagi coming to terms with being a father while still in high school.

His dad may or may not have expected this to happen, so it's debatable how this will go down on family issues, and what Nagi and the girls will do to form their own family to care for the coming kids, if it all goes that way.
Either that, or like in H mangas, the 100% safe day clause-v-;;.
Old 2013-10-30, 23:47   Link #2197
crossguy
Confused. As usual.

You could build a temple out of the unresolved plots in this tale. Much less potential pregnancies.
I'll bet you can predict AT LEAST 10 and if you wanted to push it at least 30.
(Plots, not pregnancies- get your mind out of the gutter!) There is also the matter of the back stories in this mess-
- AAAND I predict Umi no Misaki Zero for the next installment.
NOT of course the real origins of the DG, but a pedestrian plodding through the story of Nagi's
Mother and Father.(Obaa as a young hottie competing for the affections of Nagi's Dad. Woo-Hoo!) :P

I still haven't seen the Plot suggestions I thought of.

Last edited by crossguy; 2013-10-30 at 23:53. Reason: sarcasm. for effect.
Old 2013-11-14, 23:37   Link #2198
crossguy
Confused. As usual.

Having some time to think about it, I'll bet there's a break for the Author to see if there's interest from his publisher to continue this tale. If not, Christmas in the island part 2 may not see the light.
Old 2013-12-11, 05:33   Link #2199
crossguy
Confused. As usual.

Now who didn't see that coming.....

Me.
Old 2013-12-11, 05:53   Link #2200
Direwolf18

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossguy View Post
Now who didn't see that coming.....

Me.
+1.

I was hopping it wasn't over, but was not expecting this. Raw is out btw.
Direwolf18 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ecchi, harem, romance, rural, seinen