AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2013-04-17, 12:18   Link #27581
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Preliminary tests show letter to Obama contains poison ricin
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...93G0OU20130417

FBI sees no link between suspicious letters and Boston attack
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...93G0R520130417
Old 2013-04-17, 12:45   Link #27582
GDB

Only reason FBI shouldn't see at least some link is if they already have suspects in both cases. Otherwise, such coincidentally timed incidents when nothing's occurred in so long clearly points to some connection.
Old 2013-04-17, 12:49   Link #27583
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Only reason FBI shouldn't see at least some link is if they already have suspects in both cases. Otherwise, such coincidentally timed incidents when nothing's occurred in so long clearly points to some connection.
Such thinking is not one that a professional would follow. In the void of evidence, one should never jump to conclusions.
Old 2013-04-17, 13:09   Link #27584
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
Such thinking is not one that a professional would follow. In the void of evidence, one should never jump to conclusions.
And to flat out state that there's no link is to also jump to a conclusion. Unless they have evidence that states that there isn't a link, then they'd be doing the exact same thing.

Granted, the statement is slightly different to the article headline, wherein the FBI just states that it hasn't found a link, not that there is no link. Clearly, however, they saw a potential for a link (which you just denounced as unprofessional).
Old 2013-04-17, 13:15   Link #27585
Sumeragi
Banned

Read what you wrote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Those statements go past "possibility" to "beyond reasonable doubt" without the sufficient evidence. No competent and fair judicial system would do that.
Old 2013-04-17, 13:36   Link #27586
ArchmageXin
Master of Coin

Suspect arrested.....look like Lord and Taylor my ex used to drag me into all the time is good for something after all.

I could almost forgive the hole they burn in my wallet XD
Old 2013-04-17, 13:46   Link #27587
GDB

Quote:
Read what you wrote:

Those statements go past "possibility" to "beyond reasonable doubt" without the sufficient evidence. No competent and fair judicial system would do that.
First, the FBI is not a judicial system. Second, read what I wrote. I did not say that they must be the same person, or that it was beyond a reasonable doubt, merely that there is too strong of a coincidence to write it off as not possibly being connected unless they already had suspects. It's called a "lead" or a "hunch", and that it was reasonable (note, not beyond a reasonable doubt, merely reasonable) to think that there was likely some connection.

And, seeing as there may have already been an arrest, they clearly had suspects. I'd appreciate it if you didn't twist my words or put words in my mouth, since you yourself complain of people doing it to you so often.
Old 2013-04-17, 13:53   Link #27588
Sumeragi
Banned

There is no such thing as "too strong a coincidence" without the sufficient evidence. That's why the concepts of "possibility" and "beyond reasonable doubt" exist in the first place. Even a lead or hunch do not "clearly point to some connection" outside of fiction.

Frankly, you really should read what you wrote. You're only backtracking on your original statement.
Old 2013-04-17, 14:24   Link #27589
GDB

Quote:
There is no such thing as "too strong a coincidence" without the sufficient evidence.
If you're arresting someone or putting someone on trial, sure. They were making a statement. That's all. You can have as much coincidence leading to links as you want at that point. And their "evidence" of no link is just that they haven't found it yet. The absense of evidence is not evidence of absense.

But, apparently you'd rather see these multitude of events, one of which has to be done in advance due to the way the mail system works, and just shrug your shoulders and say "Well, they can't possibly be connected. After all, we haven't found any evidence to support that yet."

Quote:
Frankly, you really should read what you wrote. You're only backtracking on your original statement.
Frankly, you should stop trying to tell me what I said when I'm the one who said it. Quite humorous you insist on knowing what I said moreso than I myself do, when you get so angry at people for supposedly doing it to you in other topics. So, a little less hypocracy and supposed mind reading, k?
Old 2013-04-17, 14:31   Link #27590
Sumeragi
Banned

Sort of hard to say anything when someone completely goes back on one's original statement while going into the extremes when countering others. I'll just leave you to your inconsistencies.
Old 2013-04-17, 15:32   Link #27591
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
I would personally say it's about time the ungrateful brats pay due respect.
I would say they should have privatized the burial...
Old 2013-04-17, 15:53   Link #27592
ArchmageXin
Master of Coin

Quote:
I would personally say it's about time the ungrateful brats pay due respect.
For British DE-industrialization?
Old 2013-04-17, 16:17   Link #27593
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Japan's population suffers biggest fall in history

Quote:
The population across the Japanese archipelago dropped by around 284,000 to an estimated 127.5 million by October last year, the figures compiled by the government's Internal Affairs and Communications Ministry found.
The number of elderly people aged 65 or over surpassed 30 million for the first time, accounting for as much as 24 per cent of the population – in contrast to children aged 14 and under which decreased to a record low of 13 per cent.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...n-history.html

Old 2013-04-17, 16:33   Link #27594
Zakoo

Japan and germany will have some real problem in some decades, nothing new for the two but at least germany try to welcome foreigners.
Old 2013-04-17, 16:54   Link #27595
monsta666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakoo View Post
Japan and germany will have some real problem in some decades, nothing new for the two but at least germany try to welcome foreigners.
I would argue the biggest problems will be faced with the nations with the increasing populations. In this sense - like many things - Japan is ahead of the curve on what should be done.
Old 2013-04-17, 17:01   Link #27596
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Senate rejects gun background checks in setback for Obama
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...93F00D20130417
Quote:
Senate Democratic Leader Harry Reid of Nevada, also a gun owner and gun-rights defender, accused the gun lobby of "shameful scare tactics" and questioned why his colleagues would reject a proposal backed by nearly 90 percent of Americans.
U.S. holds back recognition for Venezuela's Maduro
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...93G0MJ20130417
Quote:
Secretary of State John Kerry said the United States had not decided whether to recognize Maduro as president.
"That evaluation has to be made and I haven't made it," Kerry told the House of Representatives Foreign Affairs Committee. "We think there ought to be a recount."
Old 2013-04-17, 17:24   Link #27597
Frenchie
Shougi Génération
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Frenchie
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
Senate rejects gun background checks in setback for Obama
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...93F00D20130417
This. This is all you need to know about American Politics. They can't even back BACKGROUND CHECKS, though 90% support it. I guess they don't call them representatives for nothing, eh? Just representing the only thing that truly gets them elected: Money.

I wish my American counterparts all the best.

Last edited by Frenchie; 2013-04-17 at 17:34.
Old 2013-04-17, 17:29   Link #27598
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Quote:
Originally Posted by monsta666 View Post
I would argue the biggest problems will be faced with the nations with the increasing populations. In this sense - like many things - Japan is ahead of the curve on what should be done.
I don't understand how Japan is ahead of the curve. Aging population with limited working population to support the elderly and no means to increase their population.
Old 2013-04-17, 18:10   Link #27599
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by monsta666 View Post
I suppose, if your goal is the wrecking of the economy with ever-decreasing number of workers trying to support an ever-increasing number of the elderly and retired.
Old 2013-04-17, 18:39   Link #27600
Badkarma 1

On the gun thing let me says this: They wanted a vote, they got it! Now can we get back to tryin To fix the damn economy?!
An arrest has been made in the ricin letter thing, Tupelo Mississippi, details yet to come
Closed Thread

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international