AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2009-12-28, 00:29   Link #681
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas View Post
But you're a foreigner. They're more afraid of you than you are of them. Gaijin SMASH!
Am also still smaller and lighter than most average man and besides, criminals don't really discriminate if you're on their list.
Then again you can tell the parents of Lindsay Ann Hawker that someday.

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-28, 03:42   Link #682
Haladflire65
*Artist

I went to Japan again a few days ago and it was awesome... XD Shibuya, Shinjuku and Ikebukuro are as great as ever. Only thing was, Japanese seem to have no idea that it was Christmas... Kids went to school and people went to work. Heh.
Old 2009-12-28, 04:47   Link #683
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haladflire65 View Post
I went to Japan again a few days ago and it was awesome... XD Shibuya, Shinjuku and Ikebukuro are as great as ever. Only thing was, Japanese seem to have no idea that it was Christmas... Kids went to school and people went to work. Heh.
They know, but it's not a Christian country, so it's of no national importance to them.
What's big on their list is upcoming New Years, that's the #1 holiday of Japan, so they prepare for that instead.
Otherwise the 25th is just lovers day, part 2 and wedding proposals or KFC chicken and Christmas cake

But glad you had a nice time, must have made a few good memories

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-30, 08:15   Link #684
ZephyrLeanne
On a sabbatical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haladflire65 View Post
Sorry, but Xmas isn't a national holiday in Japan. Guess what we used to use in lieu of that. The Emperor's Birthday on the 23rd of December.
Old 2009-12-31, 02:56   Link #685
Haladflire65
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShimatheKat View Post
Sorry, but Xmas isn't a national holiday in Japan. Guess what we used to use in lieu of that. The Emperor's Birthday on the 23rd of December.
Yeah, I knew that. I went to school in Tokyo last year and I found it hilarious that we had to go to school and have a giant cleanup with mops and all that instead of opening presents at home... At least they had a Christmas Market thing in Roppongi Hills, heh.
Old 2009-12-31, 02:57   Link #686
Haladflire65
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique View Post
They know, but it's not a Christian country, so it's of no national importance to them.
What's big on their list is upcoming New Years, that's the #1 holiday of Japan, so they prepare for that instead.
Otherwise the 25th is just lovers day, part 2 and wedding proposals or KFC chicken and Christmas cake

But glad you had a nice time, must have made a few good memories
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShimatheKat View Post
Yeah, I knew that. I went to school in Tokyo last year and I found it hilarious that we had to go to school and have a giant cleanup with mops and all that instead of opening presents at home... At least they had a Christmas Market thing in Roppongi Hills, heh.

It was great how all the anime store were open, though, so I sholdn't complain XD
Old 2009-12-31, 22:52   Link #687
Tealeafy
✿Higurashi+Umineko Fan✿

My friend and I will be visiting Japan in Aprl 2010; I'll take lots of pictures.
We plan to go to the Disney park (lol xD), Akihibara (otaku district <3), and a few historical sites.~
Tealeafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-02, 11:11   Link #688
lixuelai

Make sure to buy a JR pass. Saves a ton of money if you plan to travel around a bit.
lixuelai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-15, 10:35   Link #689
rio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Hello all. Some of you may remember my dispatches from my first Japan trip, last March. Many were kind enough to offer me advice which was invaluable to making it one of the most amazing experiences of my life. Now I return to your tender mercies again, seeking your guidance.

I'm planning another trip for this year - can't get it out of my blood, now. I'm thinking May, but it could slide over into late April or into early June. Two weeks if I can swing it, maybe a bit less. I have lots of plans to see what I couldn't the first time - a cat (real cats, not nekomimi) cafe, more of Kyoto, Nikko... The list is a long one and I know I won't get to see all of it.

But my main goal for this one is to partake of a really great matsuri. It's hard to describe exactly what I want, but if you're a member at this site you know what I mean. Teenagers and families in yukata scooping goldfish, fireworks, takoyaki... If I have a specialized interest it's taiko, as I play taiko myself and especially love it in a festival setting. I know Sanja Matsuri is in May, and reportedly quite the spectacle - but I don't know, a giant international festival attended by 2 million people in Tokyo doesn't feel like exactly what I want, even if it might have all the individual elements.

I'd like to tie this in with my second main goal for this trip, which is to experience small-town/village Japan. I saw amazing things in Tokyo, Kyoto, Kamakura - but none of it felt like village Japan to me. My only real requirements are that it be reachable by train, as I'll be moving about by JR pass. Maybe I can't find my perfect matsuri in my perfect small town, but even if I can't I'd be grateful for recommendations for both - I'll have time. The Aoba Matsuri (not the Kou, the Aoba ) in Sendai sounds interesting. Sendai is hardly a small town I know, but seems like a lovely place. Ideally, I'd rather not be in a situation where travel is an all-day affair, or a plane flight - like Hokkaido. For example Takayama Matsuri sounds incredible (hell, Takayama sounds incredible) but that's a lot of time en route. Four hours from Tokyo or less via train would be ideal, but not an absolute requirement.

So can anyone offer me some suggestions? Great little towns, great festivals - I'm open to almost anything. I travel light and cheap, try to go local as much as possible, avoid international hotels and restaurants like the plague and don't require the lap of luxury. I'm even happy to have to fake my way through survival Japanese, which I know I'll have to in the smaller places. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I am living in Sendai city right now This city is so beautiful and clean for a very big city that many people say they like this city a lot. Plus, this city is famous for Date Masamune, and his statue and the castle. So you can enjoy them with the matsuri And it took only within 2 hours from Tokyo by Shinkansen (it costs about ¥20000 by the round trip).

But as you know, Sendai is a city, so you wouldn't fell village Japan.
So, Takayama matsuri is better if you focus on going to village Japan.

Anyway, Japan has a lot of Matsuri in which you can see village Japan and you'll enjoy a lot even around Tokyo or Sendai. So it's very nice that you'll look into many Matsuri and consider what you want in your visiting Japan
Old 2010-01-15, 10:54   Link #690
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Ah, thanks for the input. I've been reading a lot about the one-eyed legend of the north, Date Masamune. Did his horse really have exhaust pipes?

Still deciding on where to go. I've become somewhat intrigued by a trip with the Kiso Valley, walking part of the Nakasendo Road, and then spending a couple of days in Kanezawa. That also seems like a really interesting and lovely place.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-17, 02:20   Link #691
rio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Ah, thanks for the input. I've been reading a lot about the one-eyed legend of the north, Date Masamune. Did his horse really have exhaust pipes?
Sorry I don't know about it.. I looked it up but I couldn't find it.

Quote:
Still deciding on where to go. I've become somewhat intrigued by a trip with the Kiso Valley, walking part of the Nakasendo Road, and then spending a couple of days in Kanezawa. That also seems like a really interesting and lovely place.

I've heard Kanazawa is a very good place by my brother.
The place is very beautiful as being called 'Little Kyoto' he said so.
Old 2010-01-17, 12:57   Link #692
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by rio View Post
Sorry I don't know about it.. I looked it up but I couldn't find it.

I've heard Kanazawa is a very good place by my brother.
The place is very beautiful as being called 'Little Kyoto' he said so.
Thanks for the input on Kanazawa. The Date Masamune thing is a little Sengoku Basura joke - his horse in the anime (and game, I assume) had them...
Old 2010-01-17, 16:35   Link #693
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
Going back again (since the 1990s) to Tokyo this year. Will head back to Akihabara, but aniki wants to go to Kyoto and see his friend.

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Yu Ominae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-21, 15:54   Link #694
SirJeannot
AT Field

going back in april as well, to visit friends
I just can't wait!

june would be better will all the matsuris around, but well, it's then or nothing.
Old 2010-01-21, 18:24   Link #695
Seitsuki
Onee!

Lucky bums. Been ages since my last trip, and I wasted it by spending too much money on food and not enough on merch ;_; (ahh youth..)
Old 2010-01-29, 17:45   Link #696
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Thanks to all who advised on possible itineraries for the Japan a couple of weeks ago. After considering the input and the transportation options, I came up with something that makes sense to me and I wanted to run it by you all for feedback.

Day 1 - Fly into Tokyo. 4 nights (covering Sanja Matsuri)

Day 5 - Kiso Valley via Shinkansen to Nagoya. Hike Nakasendo Road Magome-Tsumago. Spend the night in Tsumago.

Day 6 - Rail to Matsumoto, bus to Hirayu Onsen. Spend the night at Hirayu.

Day 7 - Bus to Takayama. Stay at a ryokan in Takayama.

Day 8 - Bus to Shirakawa-go. Spend the night at a Gassho-zukuri minshuku.

Day 9 - Bus to Kanazawa. Spend the night in Kanazawa.

From there I can return to Tokyo, but I also note that it's a relatively quick rail trip to Kyoto from there. I could theoretically go to Kyoto (which I did hit in my first trip but, hey, it's Kyoto) and perhaps spend a night at a temple lodging at Koya-san (which I didn't hit on that trip). That would of course suggest the purchase of a full JR pass rather than a regional one.

Does all that sound feasible? It's a lot of travel, I know, but I do travel light.
Old 2010-01-30, 19:23   Link #697
Seitsuki
Onee!

You are using the buses an awful lot considering you're getting a rail pass. Why not abuse it? Use the Shinkansen a bit more, visit some more prefectures o_o
If you can spare the time, I also recommend you visit Hiroshima and the Peace Museum/park there as well as Miyajima island. Both were great locations for me.
Old 2010-01-30, 20:08   Link #698
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikita View Post
You are using the buses an awful lot considering you're getting a rail pass. Why not abuse it? Use the Shinkansen a bit more, visit some more prefectures o_o
If you can spare the time, I also recommend you visit Hiroshima and the Peace Museum/park there as well as Miyajima island. Both were great locations for me.
That's what I did last time, but I really felt I was missing an awful lot of the country by not leaving the rail lines. I really want to see more of rural Japan, mountains and historical Japan - and the Japan Alps seemed like the best combo of all three. And there, buses are sometimes faster than trains (if trains exist at all).

Tough choices, I know.
Old 2010-01-30, 21:30   Link #699
Seitsuki
Onee!

You want to see the country? Best way: hire a bike. You can cover a lot of ground, it's way more personal and you can stop whenever.
Old 2010-01-30, 22:45   Link #700
MitsubishiZero
Resource cabinet

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikita View Post
You want to see the country? Best way: hire a bike. You can cover a lot of ground, it's way more personal and you can stop whenever.
You are in the wrong country mate. When travelling in Japan, it's best to hire a car. Go anywhere, see anything. Bikes are rare in Japan (not outside cities) and it makes it more dangerous as drivers don't know how to react to your presence.
MitsubishiZero is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
japan, travel