AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

View Poll Results: Who are your favorite characters?
Alto Saotome 202 36.59%
Sheryl Nome 388 70.29%
Ranka Lee 159 28.80%
Brera Sterne 75 13.59%
Ozma Lee 127 23.01%
Cathy Glass 62 11.23%
Klan Klan 203 36.78%
Mikhail Blanc (aka Michel) 156 28.26%
Luca Angeloni 24 4.35%
Nanase Matsuura 23 4.17%
Canaria Berstein 18 3.26%
Leon Mishima 13 2.36%
Howard Glass 6 1.09%
Grace O'Connor 41 7.43%
Bobby Margot 61 11.05%
Nene Rora 14 2.54%
Raramia Rerenia 13 2.36%
Jeffrey Wilder 18 3.26%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 552. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2008-11-18, 07:53   Link #681
mechabao

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
Please do note that I was referring to the definition of moe, not the popularity aspect - hence, I don't believe Sheryl would fare all that well in a MOE contest, as she is hardly anything of the sort, if you compare her with the other candidates. So, please, don't go misunderstanding me as well, ok?
It would be easier to just say that Sheryl is an example of the anti-moe. That way, there'd be no confusion.
Old 2008-11-18, 08:06   Link #682
Urei
Star Designer
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechabao View Post
It would be easier to just say that Sheryl is an example of the anti-moe. That way, there'd be no confusion.
I'll second that.

AD 2314 Mobile Suit Gundam 00
~A wakening of the Trailblazer~

Old 2008-11-18, 08:10   Link #683
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Hey, I'll third it.

Old 2008-11-18, 08:26   Link #684
kujoe
from head to heel

The thing about Saimoe is that it's not just your standard poll where you're given a list of characters to vote for.

It's set up to be Character A vs. Character B, and it goes on and on from one round to the next until you reach the final two. Not only do I think that it's strange for Sheryl to be even included as she's not exactly moe to begin with, but the results largely depend on whom a particular character is "fighting" against in her round.
Old 2008-11-18, 09:31   Link #685
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

I know this is a bit off topic, but...

智代! 智代! 智代! 智代! 智代!

TOMOYO ROCKS

And I'd be very unhappy if she actually won any moe contest.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2008-11-18, 09:34   Link #686
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

I've never followed any moe contest. But moe is great and you guys are like, moe is bad. Its like being pretty, sexy or cute is a bad thing. Moe is part of the attractiveness of a character.

Tomoyo is a moe character from the start, so she's fairing well.

Heck even Sheryl had lots of moe moments.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
Old 2008-11-18, 09:38   Link #687
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A. View Post
I've never followed any moe contest. But moe is great and you guys are like, moe is bad. Its like being pretty, sexy or cute is a bad thing. Moe is part of the attractiveness of a character.
Because 80% of the time, moe almost goes hand to hand with lolita.

And I really, REALLY, really hate the latter. Besides, just look at the winners and judge for yourself.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2008-11-18, 09:45   Link #688
Liddo-kun
is this so?

Quote:
Please do note that I was referring to the definition of moe, not the popularity aspect - hence, I don't believe Sheryl would fare all that well in a MOE contest, as she is hardly anything of the sort, if you compare her with the other candidates. So, please, don't go misunderstanding me as well, ok?
No worries, I'll make no more posts regarding that matter since the issue is already settled on my side.
Quite surprised though, at how fast (and how many) Sheryl fans on this thread immediately come to her defense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechabao View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urei View Post
I'll second that.
Quote:
Hey, I'll third it.
And all in agreement too.
Old 2008-11-18, 09:54   Link #689
Urei
Star Designer
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liddo-kun View Post
Quite surprised though, at how fast (and how many) Sheryl fans on this thread immediately come to her defense.
I'd like to say that Skull Fairy Squadron is know for it's fast interception time but that'll sound very fanboyish

Old 2008-11-18, 09:55   Link #690
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
Because 80% of the time, moe almost goes hand to hand with lolita.

And I really, REALLY, really hate the latter. Besides, just look at the winners and judge for yourself.

- Tak
'Lolita' detected: activating my Lolita Fashion education program.
-----------
As a member of the AS Lolita fashion group I'm responsible in educating the public about the word 'Lolita'.

Lolita is an elegant fashion style and has no relation to 'Loli' or 'Lolicon'. Especially in an anime community, its best to separate Lolita and loli, it causes frustration, especially to the Lolita fans when both words are often wrongly associated with each other.

End of message.
-----------

Its not that moe is a component of lolis, but that lolis often come with moe. Also contributing factors to moeness is innocence, cuteness amongst others. Which are characteristics that can be found in younger characters. Its only normal that lolis are more prominent in moe. But there's also a whole bunch of developed ladies who are all sorts of moe.

Adult Nanoha girls for example, Feito-mama is moe in so many ways, I think she won some Saimoe.

And the bunch of milfs who always make it on Saimoe as well.

Old 2008-11-18, 10:07   Link #691
Tak

As other members suggested, Sheryl is probably the anti-moe. I mean, finally we had a character whose perfection ran not so much on her cliched gimmicks, but the structure of her character, and thus to even have her be considered moe surely will be an affront to all my sensitivities.

- Tak

Old 2008-11-18, 10:30   Link #692
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Well, I'll just say that because you guys or mostly just yourself who've rejected moe and substituted it with your own preference.

I have nothing against Sheryl or her fans, just that it seems that her fans somehow can't see that what attracted them to Sheryl is indeed her moe.

Moe is not that thing or cliche or whatever. its just one of the qualities along with beauty, cuteness, sexiness, intelligence etc. that makes a girl attractive.

Is Sheryl beautiful? Yes.
Cute? Yes.
Sexy? Yes.
Moe? Yes.

It answers the same way as the other qualities, its part of the make up of a character.

You can keep rejecting that Sheryl is moe, but Sheryl has moe to more of us.

Old 2008-11-18, 10:55   Link #693
Urei
Star Designer
*Graphic Designer

As I recall the modern Japanese use this term to define cliche anime character types. Be it neko-girls, lolis, girls with glasses or whatever. Whatever the character aspects the figures have are also considered moe along with the whole character so the precise definition of this 'slang type' word is uterly impossible.

Most people understand moe in this way: Moe = Cute. The most basic way of understanding it and not a bad either. Take it in any way you like. It's your definition as an anime fan.

Quote:
Moe is not that thing or cliche or whatever. its just one of the qualities along with beauty, cuteness, sexiness, intelligence etc. that makes a girl attractive.
99% of anime characters represent this range of description. If not all the adjectives then most of them. There are tons of characters that don't have most of them and are still considered moe. Mind if I remind you that cute =/ beauty, cute =/ intelligence and cute =/ sexiness, beauty =/ sexiness ect.

It's just a general description of something an Otaku likes. Be it cute, loli like, cute + smart, high and mighty S&M mistress or whatever.

Old 2008-11-18, 10:58   Link #694
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A. View Post

Is Sheryl beautiful? Yes.
Cute? Yes.
Sexy? Yes.
Moe? Yes.
Eh, moe is readily identifiable especially by the looks and roles they exercise. The usual gimmicks involve many of the anime stereotypes, which Sheryl exercises but a few. Not to mention if you just look at Sheryl's concept designs, you can't really fit her in any of the moe categories.

The two from Kannagi won from moe was hardly surprising, they were built from head to toe, moe to begin with.

Nonetheless, my favorite moe will always be a certain Electric Fairy:

- Tak

Old 2008-11-18, 10:58   Link #695
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Not wanting to polemicize something I thought was quite properly explained, C.A., I gotta say that I always associated "moe" with cute, young and lovable girls in anime or any other kind of japanese fiction, that needed to be protected or something of the like. You know, the stuff of lolicon fetishistic dreams, really. So, in that regard, Sheryl would not really fit the image, would she?

Now, if you want to expand on the definition, sorry, I won't argue over it. Don't have the stamina.

And, Liddo-kun, sorry about bursting your bubble, but I'm not defending Sheryl. I was simply stating a point - that you obviously misinterpreted. Are your really not a Ranka fan, like you say? You seem to lump us Sheryl fans together quite neatly, just like they tend to do.

Edit Add: Oh, Tak, you had to bring Nadesico into the fray, now did you? I'm still quite traumatized after that movie...

Old 2008-11-18, 11:02   Link #696
raile
Retired Toaster
*Author

I have a suspicion about Liddo-kun's identity, but I won't bother since I'm not sure.
You know I was actually glad to have a character like Sheryl. Finally! A character who didn't fall under the overused loli/moe characters. Believe me, you don't know how wonderful it was for me to engage with such a refreshing character. X3
Old 2008-11-18, 11:08   Link #697
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Let's just say Sheryl has her unique moe lol

But generally people think she exudes moe when she's in her deredere moments. When she's alone with Alto, yea, that's when she's moe.

Old 2008-11-18, 11:10   Link #698
raile
Retired Toaster
*Author

Ah yes, Sheryl's dere-dere side. XD
The fact that her moe moments aren't as abundant as Ranka's add a nice touch to her character.
Old 2008-11-18, 11:12   Link #699
Tak

Quote:
Edit Add: Oh, Tak, you had to bring Nadesico into the fray, now did you? I'm still quite traumatized after that movie...
Well, the movie was supposed to initiate what would have been Nadesico II, but as we all know, that went to shit.

- Tak

Old 2008-11-18, 11:28   Link #700
Liddo-kun
is this so?

Quote:
And, Liddo-kun, sorry about bursting your bubble, but I'm not defending Sheryl. I was simply stating a point - that you obviously misinterpreted. Are your really not a Ranka fan, like you say? You seem to lump us Sheryl fans together quite neatly, just like they tend to do.
I could easily say a counterargument that you're simply stating a point in Sheryl's defense, but that would just result in the merry-go-round of argument spinning longer. If I'm a serious Ranka fan then my posts here would have been very different.

By saying that Sheryl fans here are quick to defend Sheryl, I was giving a compliment not insulting you guys.
I apologize now to those who saw it as an insult.

Anyway, you're free to believe what you want.

*listening to Nyan Nyan Service Medley

Last edited by Liddo-kun; 2008-11-18 at 11:46.
Closed Thread

Tags
characters, favorite