AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-05-22, 08:45   Link #141
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

As some have noted in the Haruhi forums, KyoAni and Kadokawa virtually had a PR coup. How much advertising was actually done by the audience through viral means or word of mouth? Also, how much did the companies themselves spend on promoting the second season? Magnificent guys we have here.

Last edited by yezhanquan; 2009-05-22 at 08:56.
Old 2009-05-22, 08:56   Link #142
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

I'm sure everyone is expecting a second season of Haruhi, especially those who read the novels.

Its just that these people have no patience at all, I didn't even feel that these 3 years was long for me. I even think time passes too fast, I've never had enough time.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
Old 2009-05-22, 08:59   Link #143
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

3 years pass by quickly when you're in Uni. Besides, it's not as if both Kadokawa and KyoAni didn't have other fish to fry in the meantime.
Old 2009-05-22, 09:04   Link #144
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by yezhanquan View Post
3 years pass by quickly when you're in Uni. Besides, it's not as if both Kadokawa and KyoAni didn't have other fish to fry in the meantime.
Well its not uni for me, but 2 years of National Service and a year of NEETness before and after NS. Waiting for NS took me several months, and now I'm waiting several months after NS for my school to start. I'm thinking my time as a NEET is not enough

People thought that Kadokawa was trolling them, but in reality they've been 'trolling' as a way to keep the pot warm. People stuck to the news and rumours expecting to see a new season soon, but they just don't have that patience and faith to wait.

Old 2009-05-22, 09:13   Link #145
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

My NEET time is way lesser. I enlisted in Feb 17, 2004, and got out on June 16, 2006. The Uni starts in August 2006.

Anyway, people are already claiming that the director who left is causing the show to suck slightly. While that may be true, if a company builds its reputation on only one director, we have a problem.
Old 2009-05-22, 09:15   Link #146
itisjustme

Time flies faster the older you get or so it seems like. Just the other day I was talking about the Barcelona olympics with a colleague and went, crap, has it really been over 15 years.

Quote:
As some have noted in the Haruhi forums, KyoAni and Kadokawa virtually had a PR coup. How much advertising was actually done by the audience through viral means or word of mouth? Also, how much did the companies themselves spend on promoting the second season? Magnificent guys we have here.
In retrospect it makes sense, as the core Haruhi fanbase seems rather erm, fanatical, and they probably judged that they weren't going to attract a much larger public with a season two, so they must have judged this kind of marketing to be enough. By the same token it doesn't matter anymore if there's a slight decrease in quality (or so I perceived) despite being 3 years later or the disappearance of the dance dance ED (which is the one thing I truly admired in Haruhi together with the ep 12 concert animation) Plus there's enough time for ads now the cat's out the bag for people who weren't paying attention.

Good planning/execution, but it's not something that'll work well with something else, although the studio itself is building a rather cult followership so who knows...
Old 2009-05-22, 09:19   Link #147
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Its hard to judge whether the director is good or not after just 1 episode.

That director who left is the director who got sacked after the 1st 4 episodes of Lucky Star, for not 'performing up to standards'. He was the one responsible for a good amount of greatness in Haruhi S1, and even better known for the Hare Hare Yukai dance animation. His love for dancing then carried on to Kannagi's OP.

Because he has left, we do not have a dancing ED this time round.

Old 2009-05-22, 09:23   Link #148
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

One thing I didn't get was the dance. Yes, I know it was hot while it lasted. But, I never did get the "why".
Old 2009-05-22, 09:28   Link #149
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
One thing I didn't get was the dance. Yes, I know it was hot while it lasted. But, I never did get the "why".
There's alot of difference between people who watched the show while it aired and those who watched after it aired. Even those who watched the show halfway through the season had different opinions to those who watched it right from the start.

The hype of the show and the discussions following it had such massive impact that it affects people in different ways depending on when they watched it.

The dance itself was the mother of all memes. Usually memes are short events, a phrase or something compact. But Hare Hare was a meme that's an entire dance, soon people posted videos MADs and even danced to the song themselves. The new age of memes truly took over when people saw the incredible dance after the incredible episode 1.

Old 2009-05-22, 09:59   Link #150
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A. View Post
That directorwho left is the director who got sacked after the 1st 4 episodes of Lucky Star, for not 'performing up to standards'.
If the Yamakan rule came into play for Munto than Yoshiji Kigami should've been sacked several times over Wonder who Yamakan pissed off so much to get sacked in that manner. Be interesting to read the true story if it ever sees the light of day.. Yamakun is clearly still bitter over it.. and after being called incompetent in public after all he did for KyoAni (script and episode director for 4-5 eps of haruhi, directed several eps of Air, the Haruhi ED and LS OP which sold boatloads of cds) no wonder.
Old 2009-05-22, 17:37   Link #151
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
For myself, it was simply the amazing attention to animation quality and detail in that one little ED. I can only speculate that such a well-articulated dance gave the energetic fans something to work with at conventions.
Old 2009-05-22, 17:45   Link #152
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by itisjustme View Post
Good planning/execution, but it's not something that'll work well with something else, although the studio itself is building a rather cult followership so who knows...
Pretty much. You have to wonder how many people are really there for the shows based on overall consistent quality so much as they are there for the shitstorm of memes, trolling and hype that always spawn out of them. People insist it's the former, but every year that goes by it feels more and more like it's really just the latter.
Old 2009-05-23, 07:57   Link #153
Bri

Quote:
Originally Posted by itisjustme View Post
[...]
In retrospect it makes sense, as the core Haruhi fanbase seems rather erm, fanatical, and they probably judged that they weren't going to attract a much larger public with a season two, so they must have judged this kind of marketing to be enough. By the same token it doesn't matter anymore if there's a slight decrease in quality (or so I perceived) despite being 3 years later or the disappearance of the dance dance ED (which is the one thing I truly admired in Haruhi together with the ep 12 concert animation) Plus there's enough time for ads now the cat's out the bag for people who weren't paying attention.

Don't think the timespan of waiting three years was the issue for most Haruhi fans. It has more to do with the lack of information surrounding the project. Rumours about a second season being cancelled. The writer not turning out new novels etc.

We still don't know much about why the second season was postponed. Unlikely it had anything to do with Kyoani, unless their order portfoilio was filled years in advance, which I doubt. My guess is that the marketing people at Kadokawa tried to keep the fans busy with viral marketing while the company sorted whatever issue there was in the meantime.

The quality issue is different, Kyoani is producing more and with fewer intervals then they did during their time on say Haruhi and Kanon. I wonder how big of a trade off they had to make in terms of quality. Alternatively, due to the crisis there may be less money available per project and Kyoani is just delivering what they are paid for by the production committee.
Old 2009-05-24, 09:51   Link #154
Kloran

I think it would be epic if Kyoto Animation did an anime adaptation for the Phoenix Wright series. They've had experience in adapting visual novels and Phoenix Wright is kind of like a visual novel plus they paid homage to it in that episode of Haruhi.
Old 2009-05-24, 10:02   Link #155
Emerald Emblem
Casual gaming

I say any Anime production of Pheonix wright is long overdue, I mean it has a manga so why not give it an anime adaption? I'm unsure whether or not KyoAni should do it. But with the murder scenes I think maybe a studio who excels in that area should do it.

I noticed that KyoAni have no releases for summer from the early signs of the summer anime list. I wonder what I'd do without a KyAni production for the new season.

Current Anime DVD: Kannagi + Clannad AS <3 | Current Anime Blu Ray: None </3
Old 2009-05-24, 10:13   Link #156
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerald Emblem View Post
I noticed that KyoAni have no releases for summer from the early signs of the summer anime list. I wonder what I'd do without a KyAni production for the new season.
The bulk of Haruhi season 2 will air during summer, I wouldn't be surprised if they missed Fall 09, wonder what's next... Little Busters?
Old 2010-11-30, 18:38   Link #157
AbZeroNow
North American Haruhiist

I don't know if there are any other more current threads than this one, but..

since Full Metal Panic has now got an ending that they could put into an anime and I know there is a demand for another season of it....

Haruhi also has lots that they can animate, however Book 10 still hasn't been released and we've only seen a preview. Haruhi certainly has the ratings to justify a new season.

Which do you think KyoAni will give a new season to first: FMP or Haruhi?
Old 2010-11-30, 18:53   Link #158
JRendell
Manga Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbZeroNow View Post
Which do you think KyoAni will give a new season to first: FMP or Haruhi?
What I expect will happen? Haruhi. What I would like to happen? FMP.

Haruhi is still relatively fresh in people's minds when compared to FMP, which is around 5 and a half years old. Haruhi is probably more popular too and I wouldn't exactly say there's a 'demand' for a [third?] season of FMP either; rather people would welcome it.
Old 2010-11-30, 19:14   Link #159
Random32
Also a Lolicon

1. Fourth season if you count FMPF
2. Haruhi will probably have priority over FMP due to profit
3. Still waiting for planetarian and LB anime
Old 2010-11-30, 19:34   Link #160
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random32 View Post
2. Haruhi will probably have priority over FMP due to profit
3. Still waiting for planetarian and LB anime
Well more Haruhi will probably occur after the K-ON movie and Nichijou are done assumedly next year, but planetarian and LB seem unlikely unless Key re-teams up with them, as I see either of those being more likely from Key + PA works than Key + Kyoto Animation atm sadly.
MAL
Closed Thread

Tags
studios