Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-01-03, 12:32   Link #41
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
I was actually sort of disappointed they started off with another Matoba arc. I like my sweet (sometimes bittersweet) sentimental and heartwarming Natsume over serious business Natsume. Mind you, I like the exorcist/Matoba subplot, I just don't think it's very suited as a season opener. Ah well, it was a good episode nonetheless.

My favorite scene was Tanuma explaining to Taki why Natsume is still hiding his powers from the people close to him. It makes tremendous sense and it goes to show once again how kind-hearted and selfless Natsume is.
I agree - good ep, but this isn't my favorite mode for Natsume. There was a general trend towards serious business in "San", but I hope it doesn't dominate "Shi".

And yes, that Tanuma explanation was heartbreaking.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-03, 16:43   Link #42
Dop
Mmmm....

It's good to see this show back again, and it's got the season off on a high point.

Tanuma's explanation struck exactly the note of gentle melancholy which I've always loved about this show.
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-04, 01:18   Link #43
FateAnomaly

I think its high time Natsume learn some way of at least defending himself. He can't always rely on the timely arrival of nyanko sensei.
FateAnomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-04, 04:50   Link #44
Silvance
Storm Vanguard
*Graphic Designer

Hmmmm... Natori could probably teach him a few stuff. It doesn't have to be something grand, but just enough to increase Natsume's chances of escaping from his pursuers. D=
Silvance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-04, 12:08   Link #45
Tworble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower View Post
Hmm ... well, ep 1 looks pretty good to me so far. Consistent in most ways with the first 3 seasons afaict, and that means thumbs up for me.

It was unexpectedly nice to see many of the characters from past seasons pop up again, although some of the returning faces surprised me quite a bit.

Spoiler for Ep 1 Spoilers:

The OP was okay, I guess, but I really enjoyed the ED - just my cup of tea. Kinda endearing to see Natsume's human friends pop up with him around the igloo like that.

I give ep 1 an 8/10 vote.
Spoiler for Episode 1:

Spoiler for Light spoilers from entire manga:
Tworble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-04, 14:28   Link #46
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by FateAnomaly View Post
I think its high time Natsume learn some way of at least defending himself. He can't always rely on the timely arrival of nyanko sensei.
The problem is, Natsume never wants to hurt the yokai even the ones who want to hurt him. Though Im sure Natori has some basic stuff I dont know if Natsume would use it. He was able to get away from the monk-yokai pretty well, only issue is there were 5. I didnt get why Nyano didnt transform or at least his is light thing when the yokai were coming up to them behind the tree. Later Nyanko says if he transformed Matoba would notice but at the time neither knew it was him.

Oh Tanuma <3 So glad this series is back
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
White Manju Bun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-04, 21:56   Link #47
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Manju Bun View Post
The problem is, Natsume never wants to hurt the yokai even the ones who want to hurt him. Though Im sure Natori has some basic stuff I dont know if Natsume would use it. He was able to get away from the monk-yokai pretty well, only issue is there were 5. I didnt get why Nyano didnt transform or at least his is light thing when the yokai were coming up to them behind the tree. Later Nyanko says if he transformed Matoba would notice but at the time neither knew it was him.

Oh Tanuma <3 So glad this series is back
Natsume is pretty good at smacking yokai in the faces which can handle some of them . Agree he doesn't really want to hurt them which probably holds him back from asking about that kind of thing. Still agree it wouldn't be a bad idea so he isn't racing around in a panic when one that is pretty damn evil shows up. Not like he needs to learn techniques to outright destroy anything though.

But hey it lets his bodyguard show off .
Old 2012-01-05, 03:29   Link #48
Marina
~La-la Land~
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I agree - good ep, but this isn't my favorite mode for Natsume. There was a general trend towards serious business in "San", but I hope it doesn't dominate "Shi".

And yes, that Tanuma explanation was heartbreaking.
I'm quite the opposite in hoping that the 4th season does indeed push for a more overt, structured storyline. The previous 3 seasons have already given us plenty of slice-of-life, single-episode tales, but too many more "serious" issues have yet to be fully addressed and overcome.

I completely understand the love for the original, softer side of Natsume Yuujinchou, but I don't want nostalgia for the anime to hold the show back from becoming something more.

I approve of this first episode, though I agree with some of the others that Natsume seriously needs to learn how to defend himself a bit better. Though, I won't ever complain of having much, much more Nyanko-sensei goodness.

Co-host of Kaiseki Anime Podcast
Find us on Apple Podcasts and Google Play

AniList

Sig: HSxHoneycomb
Marina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-05, 11:46   Link #49
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Personally i just don't see this as a fourth season. CR do it well by having the first episode as 'episode 40'.
Old 2012-01-05, 12:55   Link #50
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina View Post
I'm quite the opposite in hoping that the 4th season does indeed push for a more overt, structured storyline. The previous 3 seasons have already given us plenty of slice-of-life, single-episode tales, but too many more "serious" issues have yet to be fully addressed and overcome.

I completely understand the love for the original, softer side of Natsume Yuujinchou, but I don't want nostalgia for the anime to hold the show back from becoming something more.

I approve of this first episode, though I agree with some of the others that Natsume seriously needs to learn how to defend himself a bit better. Though, I won't ever complain of having much, much more Nyanko-sensei goodness.
I fully recognize that this is very much a matter of personal taste. I just don't find myself with the same expectations for NY that I would for most series - I don't feel it needs to change a lot because it never seemed to be stagnant to me, the way most shows would if they didn't focus heavily on growth and change. I just like that episodic style better for this show, and I think it dealt with plenty of serious issues.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-06, 13:09   Link #51
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Quote:
I fully recognize that this is very much a matter of personal taste. I just don't find myself with the same expectations for NY that I would for most series - I don't feel it needs to change a lot because it never seemed to be stagnant to me, the way most shows would if they didn't focus heavily on growth and change. I just like that episodic style better for this show, and I think it dealt with plenty of serious issues.
I agree it doesn't really need to change. The single or two episode stories have done a fine job of developing Natsume's character and the relationships he has with the people in his life. He's come this far via that method and don't think the series will be hurt by them continuing that way. Certainly they have dealt with serious issues in terms of life threatening things and more personal things. I'll stick to the classic belief if it isn't broken no need to fix it .
Old 2012-01-08, 03:06   Link #52
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
What I found remarkable about this show is that, despite the episodic and laid back pacing, so much remarkable progress in character development has been given to Natsume himself. He's such a different character to me now in season 4 than he was in season 1. The whole show has been progress and growth through his adventures.

To me, I see every bit of the story as essential to Natsume's growth. They all deal with different aspects of the world he currently resides.

Personally this isn't my favorite aspect of Natsume myself (I like his yokai adventures with with Taki and Tanuma, and the Reiko centric episodes the most) , but I feel it's an essential one. I don't see this as merely an episodic show with no end in sight, this isn't something like Mushishi to me. I do feel Natsume's journey will eventually have an end in sight.

Well that's my 2 cents.

Last edited by Reckoner; 2012-01-08 at 03:38.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-09, 17:20   Link #53
PiggyBank
sneaky & suspicious

I agree with so many things in the previous posts that I don't know where to start..

Well, this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
He's come this far via that method and don't think the series will be hurt by them continuing that way. Certainly they have dealt with serious issues in terms of life threatening things and more personal things. I'll stick to the classic belief if it isn't broken no need to fix it .
And this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner
What I found remarkable about this show is that, despite the episodic and laid back pacing, so much remarkable progress in character development has been given to Natsume himself. He's such a different character to me now in season 4 than he was in season 1.
pretty much sums up what I think.

Personally I love the lazy meandering of the first season, and feel that the later episoded have some more action (well, action Natsume-style, I don't expect a sudden power up). However, I see that a a natural development. If the early episodes were sweet simple sketches, each new episode adds something to the drawing and as a result, we get a beautiful, complex painting.

Someone shoot me, I got so poetic...
Old 2012-01-09, 18:03   Link #54
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Spoiler for episode 2:
Old 2012-01-09, 19:09   Link #55
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

Like how Hinoe and Misuzu came to help Natsume. Lol at the end when they wanted to fight. Glad Matoba wasn't able to do anything too bad. Was worried when he was about to kill Nyanko-sensei after he passed out. Glad Natsume stopped him. Glad he outright refused Matoba's offer as well. Like how the youkai apologized for what happened at school. Favorite part was at the end when he was home with the Fujiwaras.
Old 2012-01-09, 19:14   Link #56
HandofFate

what kind of youkai is Hinoe anyway?

I liked Misuzu's line about how he he like it more if Natsume would call him when he's actually in trouble.

Also when Hinoe and Misuzu defended Natsume when the monkeys accused him of kidnapping youkai and siding with the exorcists. I like it when 'good' characters get the deserved support and help.
Old 2012-01-09, 20:27   Link #57
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Spoiler for episode 2:
Spoiler for Ep2:
Old 2012-01-09, 22:38   Link #58
Kirarakim

Oh man I loved the part when Natsume was protecting Nyanko-Sensei from Matoba and later on uses the same line that Nyanko-Sensei uses on him all the time "I was protecting the book of friends"....awww those two.

I also loved Natsume's huge smile when the Youkai told him he was no longer going to take the book of friends.

Of course all the Youkai fall for Natsume, I mean how can you not?
Old 2012-01-09, 23:44   Link #59
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
What a great ep. It really warmed my heart to see all the youkai rally to help Natsume of their own free will without being "ordered".

The slow growth of Natsume and his care for others (humans and youkai alike) being "rewarded" so obviously in times of difficulty (when it really mattered, mind you) is especially encouraging.

8 out of 10 vote from me.

Oh yes - Matobe is a very effective creepy bad guy. Must admit I was kinda hoping Natsume would punch him through the bars when he was tormenting the poor bottled mask forest dweller, but I guess with the shadow servant youkai thingees watching over him that wasn't gonna happen.

Ah well - Nyanko sensei gets to save the day I guess!
Old 2012-01-10, 07:07   Link #60
blewin

the anime episode seems different from my memory of what happens in the manga.. but I still like it. It's great to see Hinoe and Mizusu in action, saving Natsume out of their own volition and trusting him that he's not one to kidnap youkai.

Natsume has gained the trust of youkai. I think that's similar to Reiko in how most of the youkai that Reiko defeated want to simply meet her one more time. Maybe that's why Reiko named it "The Book of Friends"?

Chrome Shelled Regios
blewin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fantasy, shoujo