AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels > To Aru... Index [LN/M]

Notices

Old 2016-05-31, 15:23   Link #2241
SibylEnd
Fighting Dreamer

I'll hope for the same, I much prefer the quality of the manga adaption over j.c. Attempts. I Just hope dengeki doesn't cancel the manga just to preserve the season 3 Opportunity.
I'll expect a hiatus after SS1 is finished though and the mangas livelihood will likely depend on wether the lightnovels can hold their sales; Index has alot of spin offs right now and they all seem to be dropping off in terms of sales.
SibylEnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-01, 16:16   Link #2242
dniv
I’m sorry, Kamijou-san!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SibylEnd View Post
I'll hope for the same, I much prefer the quality of the manga adaption over j.c. Attempts. I Just hope dengeki doesn't cancel the manga just to preserve the season 3 Opportunity.
I'll expect a hiatus after SS1 is finished though and the mangas livelihood will likely depend on wether the lightnovels can hold their sales; Index has alot of spin offs right now and they all seem to be dropping off in terms of sales.
Wait, why would the manga need to stop to preserve the season 3 opportunity. If anything, the manga would raise popularity for a season 3 because people would want that stuff to be adapted???

I do agree that Index sales have been decreasing bit by bit likely because people are trying to game the system and get Index III... (or are just fed up with the lack of anime either way and/or the plot direction).

IMHO LN's often have manga adaptations in addition to anime, so I don't see why the manga will affect season 3. So I'm going to hope it continues lol. If they stop the manga, then at that point it feels like they're giving up a bit more on the franchise (unless sales go back up). Either way, there has been a slow decline over time.

Favorite Game Series: #0 The legend of heroes (everything but especially ZERO/AO) #1 Zero escape series. #2 Persona series. #3 Pokemon. #4 Bravely Default series. ; #5 Ace Attorney (including the spin-offs); #6 Legend of Zelda. #7 Dragon Quest (including the spin-offs)

Favorite Anime: Castle in the Sky (why is this so underrated ) Gankutsuou; Railgun S; Little Witch Academia (one of the most philosophically interesting/deep shows that I've seen, while also being the single most feel good of feel good shows that I have ever seen; literally the weirdest combination ever); Kill la Kill (because it saved anime )
dniv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-02, 03:27   Link #2243
SibylEnd
Fighting Dreamer

Your points are valid, but market trends tell us another story.
Most spin off series don't jump ahead of the series primary consumer format, although this doesn't apply for source material when it's not the main advocate for consumers. in index's case; most viewers watch the railgun anime as opposed to the source material of the spin off, let alone the lightnovels I.e. Why kuroko got into DBFCI. Although dengeki does this less than any other company with there existing examples of spin offs that overtake the primary model outside of this series.

Basically it's counter productive to release a product that will just undersell the main advocate for consumers to even give the series the time of day.
I'll be honest; i have no adequate way to explain this, there simply exists a very large demographic of consumers who only care about the anime adaptions and content related to that adaption, it's in the best interest for investors to tailor their product to that demographic. Namely with the entire series pretending like it's still stuck in 2008 simply because the primary demographic wouldn't recognise content beyond the anime... Stuck in 2008 for 8 years, please let any adaption over take the anime. Fans like us are simply in the minority here, and personally I don't think we can support the future of the series without the anime.

This also crosses over into marketing, with alot of index marketing using j.c.'s ugly anime style over haimuras style and almost all of them still using the 2003 designs over the 2015 designs. Simply because the larger demographic will recognise those over the source materials... Material. I.e. If dengeki really wanted to appeal to lightnovel or manga readers; DBFC would look very different(everyone I've seen is referring to series by anime in that game). In short There is as much reason to believe the series will stop as it will continue right now. I'm just acknowledging this possibility, someone else can probably explain this better.

Last edited by SibylEnd; 2016-06-02 at 03:44.
Old 2016-06-02, 18:46   Link #2244
Tiken
Supreme Coconut Edgelord

Quote:
Originally Posted by SibylEnd View Post
Your points are valid, but market trends tell us another story.
Most spin off series don't jump ahead of the series primary consumer format, although this doesn't apply for source material when it's not the main advocate for consumers. in index's case; most viewers watch the railgun anime as opposed to the source material of the spin off, let alone the lightnovels I.e. Why kuroko got into DBFCI. Although dengeki does this less than any other company with there existing examples of spin offs that overtake the primary model outside of this series.

Basically it's counter productive to release a product that will just undersell the main advocate for consumers to even give the series the time of day.
I'll be honest; i have no adequate way to explain this, there simply exists a very large demographic of consumers who only care about the anime adaptions and content related to that adaption, it's in the best interest for investors to tailor their product to that demographic. Namely with the entire series pretending like it's still stuck in 2008 simply because the primary demographic wouldn't recognise content beyond the anime... Stuck in 2008 for 8 years, please let any adaption over take the anime. Fans like us are simply in the minority here, and personally I don't think we can support the future of the series without the anime.

This also crosses over into marketing, with alot of index marketing using j.c.'s ugly anime style over haimuras style and almost all of them still using the 2003 designs over the 2015 designs. Simply because the larger demographic will recognise those over the source materials... Material. I.e. If dengeki really wanted to appeal to lightnovel or manga readers; DBFC would look very different(everyone I've seen is referring to series by anime in that game). In short There is as much reason to believe the series will stop as it will continue right now. I'm just acknowledging this possibility, someone else can probably explain this better.
I see what you are saying at the end. You mean the Haruhi Suzumiya effect, where the series just ended with no definitive ending for no reason other than the fact that the writer got bored of making it. I can't deny that this series is showing the same signs as that anime.

I was never interested in Haruhi at all, but I remember how big it was, and how extensively it was being advertised even though the series just completely stopped.

Yet so many people kept buying it only to find out that they were constantly being lied to by marketers saying that the next volume will soon be released. It never was, and the whole thing ended on a really sleazy note.

Thats kind of the way I see Index III sometimes, as that final volume or season of Haruhi that never happened. And people were really angry about that.

Last edited by Tiken; 2016-06-02 at 19:08.
Tiken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-03, 09:46   Link #2245
SibylEnd
Fighting Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiken View Post
I see what you are saying at the end. You mean the Haruhi Suzumiya effect, where the series just ended with no definitive ending for no reason other than the fact that the writer got bored of making it. I can't deny that this series is showing the same signs as that anime.

Yet so many people kept buying it only to find out that they were constantly being lied to by marketers saying that the next volume will soon be released. It never was, and the whole thing ended on a really sleazy note.

Thats kind of the way I see Index III sometimes, as that final volume or season of Haruhi that never happened. And people were really angry about that.
That's also relevant but not entirely my point, that's sort of a series that gained relevance and demand when the writer had no intention of developing the series beyond the first volume. the series had an end; it just got filler after the fact, but similrly the index series eventually constructed a strong narrative in the filler (the disappearance volume and set up volumes and OT2-10) but was still pressed to continue the series. they are very similar series with index capitalising on the relevence to construct a strong following by providing for fans when they requested(in my case I started on Index II and found so much source material ready and waiting along with the start on NT, that I couldn't help but become a fan)

Haruhi is an interesting case with it only gaining more volumes since it was so relevant, but with Index; it needs an anime adaption every two years to stay relevant and it's own high quality output both supporting the demand and sales(i.e. index and Haruhi have matched total series sales; but only because index is making up the difference with the higher volume count). strange how haruhi could stay relevant for a long time with extremely slow and limited and underwhelming releases(seriously; Haruhi volumes drag on for so long) but index looses relevance quickly even with it's high production output. where as SAO could originally match index without an anime adaption(sales spiked even higher when the anime started.) It's my understanding that Index was never really a ground breaking series; it's main advocate for success is how it actually manages to consistently provide content, unlike series like Haruhi and Infinite stratos that just reach the limits of it's premise too quickly or the writers just get bored like you said.

My initial point was more a diatribe on anime only fans.
In this market we've got publishers constantly attempting to pander to consumers and it's created this demographic of consumers who won't invest in a product because the market is so centred around them. Products are literally being thrown at them from every side with each one being tailored specifically for them; meaning that they never need to invest in something to enjoy it. Which leads into the model of light-novels and manga requiring a degree of investment to properly engage yourself in the story format. Anime? not so much, which is why there are so many god damn anime only fans. Although I'm guessing a lot of people are getting sick of anime series not closing up the narrative properly and eventually have to jump into light novels and manga(is that your point) which is pretty health for the market actually.

With that you also introduce the element of anime fans feeling entitled (most the Index III ranters) with the market practically spoiling them and creating expectations (c'mon guys we've had 4 24 episode seasons and a movie, that's 96 episodes with 2 ovas and a movie, they've done enough). I've had this argument a lot recently with people who casually follow the series feeling left out since they don't like light-novels or index(railgun fans are brutal). more recently there are fans who feel left out due to the post 9/30 hype from the community regarding events they don't recognise. Granted these are people who expressed that they hated index and probably aren't to serious about the series, it's just people don't like not being in the target market of a product that's using an IP they respect(i.e. why i'm bashing on DBFCI so much).

You could compare this to SFV casuals complaining about story and how they are being presented a game not explicitly for them and feeling offended/entitled. with the primary consumer format dictating the nature of all subsequent work, issue here is that post index II content may backfire if Index III isn't presented. I'd imagine some index fans may forgo purchase of the manga if it's going to spoil Index III for them. or it will directly offend anime fans and affect critical reception, "Hey there is always some other anime to binge watch"; why should a consumer give index the time and day when it takes so much work. In short there are a lot of factors influencing the continued support of the manga series, but if any series can sustain a market without the anime; it'll probably be index. I still don't get why the manga sales are dropping; the recent index light-novel spin off is selling more than the latest manga volume(oh you know; THE MANGA WITH MISAKA ON THE COVER, FLAGSHIP GIRL, EXTREMELY POPULAR HEROINE? WHO'S THAT? whhhhhyyy)

Last edited by SibylEnd; 2016-06-03 at 10:08.
Old 2016-06-03, 12:09   Link #2246
Callum18
Fukou da

To be fair, the only reason I want Index III is so I can enjoy the series with my own eyes and not just picturing it in my head (Yes its a selfish reason I know).

Don't get me wrong, I like the LN'S/mangas and have bought every single one since they came out in ENG(Because I love the series, and want to support it.) But, it just does not feel the same. I want to watch my hero Touma on a scene, rather then just reading words and picturing it in my head. I want to hear his heroic battle cry, and protract his love ones X.X.

This series (Mainly Touma) has not only change my whole life (As stupid as it sounds), but help me as a person. I felt bored with anime, stuff and life in general. There was very little that could get me hype until I got into the series.

Is it really too much to ask for one last season of Index? ):.

Sorry if I went really off-topic.

If anyone would like to join the To Aru Index Skype fan club. Please do PM me (:.
Callum18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-03, 12:43   Link #2247
SibylEnd
Fighting Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callum18 View Post
To be fair, the only reason I want Index III is so I can enjoy the series with my own eyes and not just picturing it in my head (Yes its a selfish reason I know).

Don't get me wrong, I like the LN'S/mangas and have bought every single one since they came out in ENG(Because I love the series, and want to support it.) But, it just does not feel the same. I want to watch my hero Touma on a scene, rather then just reading words and picturing it in my head. I want to hear his heroic battle cry, and protract his love ones X.X.

This series (Mainly Touma) has not only change my whole life (As stupid as it sounds), but help me as a person. I felt bored with anime, stuff and life in general. There was very little that could get me hype until I got into the series.
yeah that's fine, I was mainly targeting binge watchers rather than fans who pick and support a series, i.e. you seem to be invested in the series regardless of the model you are enjoying, and I can still read the series and still respect the perks of animated adaptions(even thought I don't prefer it). I'd also like for one more series for index; I really didn't like how railgun got it's own animation series next to index but I can understand why index III wouldn't happen; since this To aru universe already has 98 episodes total when other series are stuck with just 13. and hell; i'm all for index III, j.c. really steeped their game up with Railgun S

Moving on, the manga's lively hood is kinda fuzzy, I thought over the reason for the declining sales; seems the larger demo-graphs of index fans are split between following the source material(LN) and animated adaption over the static manga adaption. Since the light-novel is sort of written like a manga it translates very well into a manga (animated; not so much, kinda messy adapting a light-novel that's practically a manga since it's technically both) and as such you might as well stick to the source material since it's much further ahead than the manga and is read very similarly(even has illustrations). Love me some Chuya Kogino art tho.
Old 2016-06-03, 18:08   Link #2248
Tiken
Supreme Coconut Edgelord

Speaking on entitlement issues, I will say that I am one of these people, but not without reason. For me, I can only buy an anime when it is completely finished. Such as stuff like Bebop, Outlaw Star, FMA Brotherhood. I would honestly pay hundreds of dollars for every season of Index if I knew without a doubt that every volume would eventually be animated. But I don't know that, and as I said. I refuse to buy things that are incomplete. That said, I do subscribe to Crunchy roll from time to time...even though my finances are usually pretty bad these days.
Tiken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-04, 05:38   Link #2249
dniv
I’m sorry, Kamijou-san!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callum18 View Post

Is it really too much to ask for one last season of Index? ):.

Sorry if I went really off-topic.
Lol, but this is why I'm so excited that we're so close to the season III manga. I really hope they don't stop it lol.

I will also note that I don't put Index in the same league as other series that sell better and are more popular than it. Those series rely on trashy premises and flash to sell well. This relies on good writing and appreciation of that sort of creative premise. Even if some people dislike it and think it has gotten worse, in the end, Index has done an amazing job because there are less people who appreciate quality tasteful writing than people who like wish-fulfillment. Don't get me wrong, I like that sort of stuff as well at times. But the difference between it and Index is like the difference between OT 1 Touma and Aleister... Those types of novels appeal and sell well because even though they're pretty shallow, they're done more decently than average.

Favorite Game Series: #0 The legend of heroes (everything but especially ZERO/AO) #1 Zero escape series. #2 Persona series. #3 Pokemon. #4 Bravely Default series. ; #5 Ace Attorney (including the spin-offs); #6 Legend of Zelda. #7 Dragon Quest (including the spin-offs)

Favorite Anime: Castle in the Sky (why is this so underrated ) Gankutsuou; Railgun S; Little Witch Academia (one of the most philosophically interesting/deep shows that I've seen, while also being the single most feel good of feel good shows that I have ever seen; literally the weirdest combination ever); Kill la Kill (because it saved anime )
Old 2016-07-05, 08:52   Link #2250
SibylEnd
Fighting Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dniv View Post
Lol, but this is why I'm so excited that we're so close to the season III manga. I really hope they don't stop it lol.
Just checked, seems like the english release of the index manga is making decent progress; right now they have released the 7th manga volume (I'm including volume 5.5) and they would just need to release 11 more volumes to catch up. which should take about 2-3 years, by which time we will have found out wether we will actually go past season III, and if season III will even be a thing

2 more things; i'd like to revoke my previous claim about the possibility of Index III affecting the chances of the Manga serialisation, After finding this wiki extract that imples the manga has already adapted content before there was an anime adaption of it
Quote:
"Many parts of the anime adaptation of Toaru Majutsu no Index were taken from his illustrations of scenes in the manga, and later, after the anime has overtaken the manga, Chuuya took parts from the anime to enhance the manga's scenes."Source
Final note is that the chinese raws of index chapter 101 have been posted; i'd imagine the rest of the chapters in manga Volume 17 will get HQ releases as well.
Old 2016-07-16, 05:51   Link #2251
OH&S
Index III was a mistake

Debi has made a post about Toaru Majutsu no Index Manga Chapter 107; the chapter title is Intruder, Part 4.

It seems to cover a decent amount of content:

Kamijou's first fight with Vento and all of the Accelerator - Hound Dog massacre. The chapter ends with Yoshikawa finding the unconscious Yomikawa and discovering the alert to capture Accelerator.

LN-wise, we are at the end of OT13 Chapter 8 Part 1.
Anime-wise, we just finished Index II Episode 20!!

Things are progressing well. If only the translations were up to date...

Images
Looking fine, Kamijou
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2016-07-29, 08:43   Link #2252
SibylEnd
Fighting Dreamer

I just read the chinese raws for the latest index chapter, looking pretty good. we're making decent lee-way through the novels. It's been a while since I read OT13.
Spoiler for raws:
Old 2016-10-23, 11:02   Link #2253
entei08

Spoiler for as close to casual vento as we are ever gonna get:
entei08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-24, 04:53   Link #2254
dniv
I’m sorry, Kamijou-san!!

Woah, that's a really good Vento illustration.

Old 2016-10-24, 05:15   Link #2255
LevelSeven

^agree,

Quote:
Originally Posted by entei08 View Post
Spoiler for as close to casual vento as we are ever gonna get:
i would be lying if i said that i did realize that it was her at the beginning,i first thought it was accel (exspecially if you only look at the head)
LevelSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-24, 06:37   Link #2256
OH&S
Index III was a mistake

Chapter 110 is titled Manifestation. Fuse Kazakiri finally manifests in Academy City. The chapter ends with Kamijou and Accelerator's last interaction in this arc:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OT13 Chapter 8 Part 13
“Sorry. Did you see that just now? An amazing light and dozens of wings appeared in one part of the city.”
“Yeah, it fired something at the outer perimeter of the city.”
“I need to stop that angel, so I really won’t be able to help you.”
“I don’t care,” was the carefree reply.
“Sorry,” apologized Kamijou once more. “Don’t die.”
“You either.”
And with that, OT13 Chapter 8 has been completed.

Anime-wise, we are half-way through Index II Episode 21.

All that's left is Kamijou and Accelerator to arrive at their respective battlefields and the final fights against Vento of the Front and Kihara Amata.

Manga Volume 18 is coming out next month.
Old 2016-11-18, 06:17   Link #2257
OH&S
Index III was a mistake

Volume 18 HQ Cover in all its glory:

Images
Volume 18 HQ Cover
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2016-11-26, 22:56   Link #2258
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Almost there, they are almost catching up to the Anime...... I don't know if I should be impressed or depressed.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-11-30, 16:53   Link #2259
jalvin_billster1091
Arcaneus Magi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Almost there, they are almost catching up to the Anime...... I don't know if I should be impressed or depressed.
I'm happy that they're finally getting past that anime. but i do have to agree its pretty depressing that the anime hasn't progressed at all
jalvin_billster1091 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-11-30, 22:39   Link #2260
Kuroageha
Mystic Musician

I'm becoming more desensitised about it to be honest.

I welcome the manga reaching the arcs post anime adaptation.
Kuroageha is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fantasy, shounen