AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2007-12-21, 22:04   Link #1121
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

I don't mind thinking about it on a deeper level. Many technologies we once thought "ridiculous" or "impossible" are in common use today or are now being entertained as actual possibility. If it wasn't for people imagining this stuff I wonder how far society as a whole would have actually progressed.

Now the premise might be a bit on the fantastic side but the implications of "what if" certainly can bear fruitful discussion.
Old 2007-12-21, 22:09   Link #1122
Kieli
Maki Maki Shoujo
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
I don't mind thinking about it on a deeper level. Many technologies we once thought "ridiculous" or "impossible" are in common use today or are now being entertained as actual possibility. If it wasn't for people imagining this stuff I wonder how far society as a whole would have actually progressed.

Now the premise might be a bit on the fantastic side but the implications of "what if" certainly can bear fruitful discussion.
It really all depends. Insofar as the technologies are concerned, sure, anything is possible. However, biology is one of those things that, though manipulated to some extent, really has not changed much; just variations of the same theme. Now if someone found a way for a guy to get pregnant and share the "joys" of childbirth (I use that term oh so loosely because I personally cannot imagine why a woman would go through that much pain willingly and call it a joy), that, IMHO, will have been the ultimate discovery. And for me, before I can remotely go into an in-depth discussion on the "what-ifs" of genetics, I would prefer to have more training and knowledge beyond my genetics and virology classes as an undergrad.
Old 2007-12-21, 22:19   Link #1123
Diodati
The very united ACROSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by changeup

Spoiler for about the title:
I just wanted to chime in:

Rosmarinus is latin
Spoiler:

You guys can go back to the sex-talk and genetics now =)
Diodati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-21, 22:20   Link #1124
changeup

Seriously, the mode the aliens producing offsprings maybe not entirely off. There are many species in the earth that can get by with only FEMALES. Biologically, only a few gene regulation changes in the oocyte are needed to achieve this.

We have seen species that female alone can produce female offsprings. It mostly happens in lower animals. But in higher animal like reptiles, sometimes it still happens. As I mentioned, a species of lizard. They still need to mate though (talking about scientific basis for shojo-ai)...

Basically, the default sex of human is female. Male needs a few genes to be turned on to add some features on...... it can be argued that males are only devices for females to transmit genes within the population... it is not totally out of line males is unnecessary if females can produce offsprings themselves and some type of gene diversification methods can be achieved...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieli View Post
It really all depends. Insofar as the technologies are concerned, sure, anything is possible. However, biology is one of those things that, though manipulated to some extent, really has not changed much; just variations of the same theme. Now if someone found a way for a guy to get pregnant and share the "joys" of childbirth (I use that term oh so loosely because I personally cannot imagine why a woman would go through that much pain willingly and call it a joy), that, IMHO, will have been the ultimate discovery. And for me, before I can remotely go into an in-depth discussion on the "what-ifs" of genetics, I would prefer to have more training and knowledge beyond my genetics and virology classes as an undergrad.
changeup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-21, 22:20   Link #1125
Kieli
Maki Maki Shoujo
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diodati View Post

Rosmarinus is latin
Spoiler:

Heh, don't you know that girls love it when you talk science to them?
Quote:
Basically, the default sex of human is female. Male needs a few genes to be turned on to add some features on...... it can be argued that males are only devices for females to transmit genes within the population... it is not totally out of line males is unnecessary if females can produce offsprings themselves and some type of gene diversification methods can be achieved...
While this is true to a certain extent, the conditions for this to happen are usually fairly extreme (i.e. a severe shortage of eligible males to propagate a species, certain environmental factors, etc). There is a reason why only a handful of species have this ability. Arume may be such a species but clearly they are having problems with this since they are having to look outside of their realm in order to acquire a fresh infusion of diversity into their genome. One wonders how they even know that human females' genes are even compatible with their own. They must have had some sort of research team on the planet for this purpose prior to making plans for an all out invasion. I can't imagine they would overrun a planet only to find that they can't make this interspecies fertilization happen. That would "suck immensely".

Last edited by Kieli; 2007-12-21 at 22:31. Reason: edited because my brain and fingers just aren't functioning well tonight. :p
Kieli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-21, 22:23   Link #1126
changeup

Thank you very much for this information. It really explained a lot of things, and how fitting it is for the subtitle of the finale!!!

Quote:

Rosmarinus is latin
Spoiler:

Old 2007-12-21, 22:26   Link #1127
Fweakin

Spoiler for Ep 12:
Fweakin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-21, 22:32   Link #1128
changeup

Spoiler for about trubael:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fweakin View Post
Spoiler for Ep 12:
Old 2007-12-21, 22:33   Link #1129
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
As far as biology goes, in some ways we've made great strides and in others....not so much. I do think it will be a long time before we ever see true trans gender, male childbirth, designer babies, genetic replacement for steroids, and all those other things people discuss and dream about come to pass. I do ponder what wonders and disasters will happen as a result of us pushing further into the field, but like anything you have to have risks to see results.

I doubt any of us are scholars on the subject, and I think besides discussion of the technologies we see in Blue Drop there is also plenty of discussion on social and philosophical angles that could be drawn from it as well.

Besides, you can only discuss "zomg did they kiss?!" so many times.

@changeup - In blunt terms, males are nothing but fertilizer. Pollen, stamen, seeds, eggs....nature doesn't really care how the job of reproducing gets done as long as it works. There are many variations of sex in nature that show you don't need a male/female to get the job done.

With enough genetic understanding (and of course, technical prowess) you could eliminate the need for men from your gene pool, and you could also perform a sex change without the need for surgery. I'd imagine that it would require extreme social change for something like that to happen though, however it certainly fits right up the Arume's way of doing things.
Old 2007-12-21, 22:37   Link #1130
AnimeJock
AnimeJock

Send a message via AIM to AnimeJock
I saw the episode again and I still love it. Although I'm looking forward to the last episode, I'm not either. I mentioned earlier that it's been a long time since I've been into an anime as much as this.

Spoiler for More Ep 13 predictions:
AnimeJock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-21, 22:39   Link #1131
Kieli
Maki Maki Shoujo
*IT Support

Quote:
LOL!! No truer words were ever spoken.
Quote:
@changeup - In blunt terms, males are nothing but fertilizer. Pollen, stamen, seeds, eggs....nature doesn't really care how the job of reproducing gets done as long as it works. There are many variations of sex in nature that show you don't need a male/female to get the job done.

With enough genetic understanding (and of course, technical prowess) you could eliminate the need for men from your gene pool, and you could also perform a sex change without the need for surgery. I'd imagine that it would require extreme social change for something like that to happen though, however it certainly fits right up the Arume's way of doing things.
Which leads me to wonder how so many men feel that women are merely the vessel and that they are the all important cog in the wheel of speciation (no offense to the guys here but so many male-dominated societies push this idea that one can't help but just marvel at how this all got started, other than the obvious physical differences between men and women). God, we could go on endlessly about the social/philosophical implications within Blue Drop. Those are a bit more fluid than the pure science aspect, I'd imagine.
Old 2007-12-21, 22:42   Link #1132
Fweakin

Quote:
Hee. That made me laugh out loud, primarily because one of the reasons I frequent this thread so much is because you guys who participate all come across as intelligent and mature, and it doesn't feel like I'm devolving into a lesser species by reading the thread, unlike other series threads around here.

::coughMyself;Yourselfcough::

Last edited by Fweakin; 2007-12-21 at 22:44. Reason: I need to hire an editor; streams of consciousness are evil
Old 2007-12-21, 22:48   Link #1133
changeup

Quote:

One word comes to my mind:

Simoun...

lol... did find some parallel between these two series... in many ways.
Old 2007-12-21, 22:55   Link #1134
Fweakin

Quote:
Originally Posted by changeup View Post
One word comes to my mind:

Simoun...

lol... did find some parallel between these two series... in many ways.
I guess although the series deal with similar themes (war, femalexfemale relationships), I find the two to be very different entities. Just the.....feeling of the series are completely different. Both great shows in themselves though.
Old 2007-12-21, 23:19   Link #1135
Diodati
The very united ACROSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieli
Heh, don't you know that girls love it when you talk science to them?
lol as a girl I do like a bit of science yes! I'm only putting 'guys' in a gender-neutral way, actually there seems to be a few of us ladies in here, go team!

I do think Akihito Yoshitomi and Masahiko Ohkura are being relatively vague on the topic of reproduction deliberately (both on the genetic side and procreation). It can undermine your work a little if there is an obvious flaw to your 'theory' - even if they are hypothetical or just pure fantasy. Probably because the idea in this series does have some relevance - people would be ready to pounce on it.

I was thinking that perhaps certain diseases (hereditary, evolutionary, whatnot) affecting the Arume female sex which appear in latent X genes became prominent in the Arume race. In an all female race the probability of two latent X meeting would increase hugely (compared to the 50/50 proportion of sex usually, and how dominant/latent genes are spread). If that scenario was passed generation to generation over a few hundred years, I could definitely see there being major problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by changeup
Thank you very much for this information. It really explained a lot of things, and how fitting it is for the subtitle of the finale!!!
Well I wouldn't really have thought about it if you hadn't bought it up. ^_^ It's quite possible that all the episode titles have some connection with the series - but Rosmarinus/Rosemary is certainly the deepest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fweakin
Spoiler for Tsubael:
Spoiler for Tsubael:
Diodati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-21, 23:53   Link #1136
changeup

Well, that might be an interesting issue. Since if a malignant gene in the X chromosome has an incidence of p in a certain popularity, it does not really matter whether it is male-female or female-female, the next generation will always have the same incidence if no selection method is involved.

However, when a selection process is in place, things turn out very differently...

It is true that in a male-female population, the rate of disappearance of a malignant gene can be much faster than a female-female population, though, let's consider the following case:

Say we have a recessive fatal gene f in X chromosome. Its normal allele is F. The incidence of the f gene in the female population is 50%.

So if it is a male-female population, we have all males with phenotype F, all females with phenotype Ff. (if the gender ratio is 1:1)

For a female-female population, we have all the females Ff.

So for the next generation, for male-female population, we have :

25% male F
25% male f (all dead)
25% female FF
25% female Ff

for female-female population

50% Ff
25% ff (all dead)
25% FF

for the third generation, for male-female population (maybe some type of polygame will kick in since there are now considerably smaller amount of males)

37.5% male F
37.5% female FF
12.5% male f (all dead)
12.5% female Ff

for the female-female population, we have

44.44% FF
11.11% ff (all dead)
44.44% Ff

I am too lazy to calculate on... but you guys can entertain it a little bit...

Yeah, it seems true that in a male-female population bad genes in X chromosome disappears a little bit faster for the female population... but since it is decreasing anyway, I don't think in a long run a female-female population has more an issue about this anyway... so maybe that's not a good explanation?

Quote:

I was thinking that perhaps certain diseases (hereditary, evolutionary, whatnot) affecting the Arume female sex which appear in latent X genes became prominent in the Arume race. In an all female race the probability of two latent X meeting would increase hugely (compared to the 50/50 proportion of sex usually, and how dominant/latent genes are spread). If that scenario was passed generation to generation over a few hundred years, I could definitely see there being major problems.
Old 2007-12-22, 00:01   Link #1137
X207
Gamyūsa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
No need for that...
ty. i think i read that post b4 but it didnt really stay around until i actually saw an example of it.

darn, wat is it about this thing to prevent tiny quoteholes by only using the quote button.
X207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-22, 00:13   Link #1138
crazyhorse
Procrastinator

Blue Drop has been a very entertaining series so far. Although the military/invasion stuff kinda confuse me, the romantic aspects of this show are wonderful. I'm glad to see Hagino and Mari's relationship made canon. The confession and kiss scene was really well done, although I wished there were just a tad less bubbles...

The scene with Onomil and Azanael made me go from 'awwww' to 'ewwwwww' in a few seconds. I would hate to be Azanael. Having her feelings toyed with like that and seeing clones of her lover merge together? Not for me, nosiree

I'm excited for the last episode and although I have a feeling it will be a bittersweet ending. As long as they make it very well-done and touching, I'm completely fine with a sad end since they already gave me a confession scene.

On another note:

Since there has been discussion on their ways of reproduction....do you think that if they did have kids with humans that their half Arume half human child would be able to reproduce with other human females? That would certainly be interesting....
Old 2007-12-22, 00:16   Link #1139
Kieli
Maki Maki Shoujo
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by changeup View Post
Well, that might be an interesting issue. Since if a malignant gene in the X chromosome has an incidence of p in a certain popularity, it does not really matter whether it is male-female or female-female, the next generation will always have the same incidence if no selection method is involved.

However, when a selection process is in place, things turn out very differently...
Yeah, it seems true that in a male-female population bad genes in X chromosome disappears a little bit faster for the female population... but since it is decreasing anyway, I don't think in a long run a female-female population has more an issue about this anyway... so maybe that's not a good explanation?
I'd have to agree with that assessment (as in not necessarily a good explanation). Phenotypic variation is still influenced just as much be environment as by genotype (called phenotype plasticity). It looks like you're trying to explain using genotype but throwing in phenotypes into the mix (my guess is that you were going for the genotype-phenotype distiction theory to help things along). There is a theory for the evolution of sex that might explain your point a bit better. Of course, I could be misinterpreting your intention.
Quote:
Since there has been discussion on their ways of reproduction....do you think that if they did have kids with humans that their half Arume half human child would be able to reproduce with other human females? That would certainly be interesting....
I don't see why not. That IS their reason for coming to Earth, after all ;-)
Old 2007-12-22, 00:26   Link #1140
changeup

Well, I have oversimplified the things a lot so that we can do some real calculation. Anyway, for a society that can use genetic technique to allow female x female to produce offsprings, more than likely control of malignant genes should not be of much a problem.

It is more likely that the aliens just want a more habitable planet than their own. Maybe they have experienced an "end of the world as they know it" ...

But this actually brings on another interesting question. Since those aliens are so human-like, I would say they share the same ancestry as us... since no random evolution can explain all those similarness...

Quote:
I'd have to agree with that assessment (as in not necessarily a good explanation). Phenotypic variation is still influenced just as much be environment as by genotype (called phenotype plasticity). It looks like you're trying to explain using genotype but throwing in phenotypes into the mix (my guess is that you were going for the genotype-phenotype distiction theory to help things along). There is a theory for the evolution of sex that might explain your point a bit better. Of course, I could be misinterpreting your intention.

I don't see why not. That IS their reason for coming to Earth, after all ;-)

Tags
drama, sci-fi, shounen, yuri