AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2004-09-30, 15:30   Link #21
Nine Devil
Master(Vicious)'s Padawan

Ah i remember this one LOL

Kyle: I will use my powers to look into the future.

Cartman: Wait.. I have an another power; I can see into the future too. But better than Kyle

OMFG that part was hilarious!
Old 2004-09-30, 17:31   Link #22
sarcasteak
WAHA~

Yes, that episode was awesome.

"I'm Borog, and I have lots and lots of powers."

The Passion reference was hilarious, too.
sarcasteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-23, 11:10   Link #23
edkwon
Banned

South Park / Scientology debate

Does anyone on these forums (who live in the USA that is) watch south park and follow the whole controvery with Issac Hayes (Chef) walking off the cast of the show over the ep 'Trapped in the Closet) where the show butches and tears apart L Ron Hubbard and the Church of Scientology.

The season 10 premiere ep aired last night (again in USA) mere weeks after this all hit the media and they do yet again a brutal sendoff to Chef's character and slam Scientology yet again, except they never use the word 'scientology' once in the show and refer to it as 'The Super Adventure Club'.

I thought the whole treatment was harsh yet hilarious, any thoughts?

Ed
edkwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-23, 11:18   Link #24
Tabris

I've heard about it, not followed it though.

Scientology is stupid, it deserves to be insulted. Isaac Hayes should have been more understanding too, working on South Park for all these years he would have been aware of what the show does to people and on occasion religion.
Tabris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-23, 11:20   Link #25
Taboo
Riceball!

Send a message via Yahoo to Taboo
What makes it all even more crazy, it that "Trapped in the closet" had actually aired before and no one made a fuss. This was to be a repeat airing that caused all the controversy.

They make fun of almost religion, nationality, whatever and are equal opportunity offenders. Frankly I think it is BS, that Issac Hayes suddenly got offended when it was his religion up to bat. (Although it actually wasn't so suddenly as I mentioned above.)

When I heard that Chef would be back for the first ep of the new season, I hoped they would do something like that. Those guys can turn out a new episode in like a week and I say more power to them.
Taboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-23, 11:40   Link #26
Lexander
www.thefestlanders.com

Isaac Hayes is a hypocritical sack of crap. There is no other way to explain it. "I am willing to make fun of relgions as long as they are not my own, but will cry like a girl when it happens to me".

And it IS exactly like how it was described in the episode.

A while ago I was pulled aside in a mall ... and for like 15 minutes the guy was trying to show me I am stressed using this stupid device you hold in your hands. The arrow wouldn't move so the guy started to fish for question that would give me some sort of anxiety or something.

"are you feeling any pressure at work?"
"nope"
"hmm any issues with the family?"
"nope"

Anyway ... at the end of it even though the free test didn't show any sign of depression no matter how hard he tried, he STILL tried to sell me the complete book package. At the time I didn't even know what scientology was ... I thought it was like a self help book they are selling at the mall.

Scienentology is a big joke and was a big joke way before southpark. You don't need a shouthpark episode to make you feel like a douche. Isaac Hayes you are etenrally douchey. I seriously hate the guy right now ... how can you be any more of a hypocrit?
Before he left he said "Religious beliefs are sacred to people, and at all times should be respected and honored,".
wow ... I hope you choke.

Last edited by Lexander; 2006-03-23 at 11:51.
Lexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-23, 13:32   Link #27
Srophkor

Send a message via MSN to Srophkor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexander
Isaac Hayes is a hypocritical sack of crap. There is no other way to explain it. "I am willing to make fun of relgions as long as they are not my own, but will cry like a girl when it happens to me".

And it IS exactly like how it was described in the episode.

A while ago I was pulled aside in a mall ... and for like 15 minutes the guy was trying to show me I am stressed using this stupid device you hold in your hands. The arrow wouldn't move so the guy started to fish for question that would give me some sort of anxiety or something.

"are you feeling any pressure at work?"
"nope"
"hmm any issues with the family?"
"nope"

Anyway ... at the end of it even though the free test didn't show any sign of depression no matter how hard he tried, he STILL tried to sell me the complete book package. At the time I didn't even know what scientology was ... I thought it was like a self help book they are selling at the mall.

Scienentology is a big joke and was a big joke way before southpark. You don't need a shouthpark episode to make you feel like a douche. Isaac Hayes you are etenrally douchey. I seriously hate the guy right now ... how can you be any more of a hypocrit?
Before he left he said "Religious beliefs are sacred to people, and at all times should be respected and honored,".
wow ... I hope you choke.
On some "Opie and Anthony" show after the SP Scientology episode, Isaac Hayes was asked what he thought about that particular episode, as a Scientology member himself. His answer was: "One thing about Matt and Trey, they lampoon everybody. And if you take that shit serious, then I'll sell you the Brooklyn Bridge for two dollars. That's what they do.".

And then there is this interview, which was also done AFTER that episode:
Quote:
AVC: There's some pretty harsh satire on South Park. They don't really care who they offend.

IH: But that's their thing! They're success was built on that cutting-edge stuff. I've had to defend them a lot of times. One time on BET Tonight I defended them because Tavis Smiley, the host on that show, was coming at me. It was a call-in show, too, so people were calling in. I told them not to take this stuff seriously. If you do, you'll get in trouble. Just enjoy it. Remember your high-school yearbook? You look at those pictures now, you laugh, right? That's what South Park is. You got to laugh at it. Because we cursed, but we just didn't dare let the principals, the teachers, or the preachers hear it. And we didn't turn out bad, okay? Just look at it that way. Also, usually there's some kind of moral message at the end for the kids, by the Chef.

AVC: They did just do an episode that made fun of your religion, Scientology. Did that bother you?

IH: Well, I talked to Matt and Trey about that. They didn't let me know until it was done. I said, "Guys, you have it all wrong. We're not like that. I know that's your thing, but get your information correct, because somebody might believe that shit, you know?" But I understand what they're doing. I told them to take a couple of Scientology courses, and understand what we do. [Laughs.]
Chances are, he is not so much being a "hypocritical sack of crap. ", then he is being pressured into this by the Scientology organization, not like they aren't known for that kind of stuff already.

And you might want to take a closer look at things before you wish death upon someone, or people will do the same to you, and one of them might do more then just wish.
Srophkor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-23, 13:50   Link #28
Lexander
www.thefestlanders.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srophkor
On some "Opie and Anthony" show after the SP Scientology episode, Isaac Hayes was asked what he thought about that particular episode, as a Scientology member himself. His answer was: "One thing about Matt and Trey, they lampoon everybody. And if you take that shit serious, then I'll sell you the Brooklyn Bridge for two dollars. That's what they do.".

And then there is this interview, which was also done AFTER that episode:

Chances are, he is not so much being a "hypocritical sack of crap. ", then he is being pressured into this by the Scientology organization, not like they aren't known for that kind of stuff already.

And you might want to take a closer look at things before you wish death upon someone, or people will do the same to you, and one of them might do more then just wish.
TALK IS CHEAP!
He's into Scientology ... says he doesn't care ... yet quits the show over it and makes statements about how Southpark crossed the line this time!

Actions speak louder than words. He's making a much bigger statement by leaving the show over this episode than by pretending he didn't care at all about it.

If he knows that's what Matt and Trey do ... then why is he taking it so seriously himself? Once again it's a contradiction.
Talking about Hayes ...
"a foundation he formed to bring Scientology-based study techniques to disadvantaged inner-city schools."

And this is the internet. alright. I'm not wishing actual death on anyone. I could post all kinds of outrageous things to accent my view and emotion.
Old 2006-03-23, 13:53   Link #29
Taboo
Riceball!

Send a message via Yahoo to Taboo
Well, as we all know, actions speak louder than words.

While Isaac Hayes may not have been a "hypocritcal sack of crap" when the episode first aired, he actions have discounted his words when he quit the show. I know that it was likely due to pressure from the organzation, but he still representing himself as a hypocrite.

With this all over the news and Tom Cruise going on his own Scientology crusade, it is all just making my head spin that so may people believe this. I never really knew anything about it prior.

*edit* DANG! You beat me Lex! Shows what I get for not previewing. >.<
Taboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-23, 14:20   Link #30
Ryuu-Odjn
Lost...maybe

Well according to posts on either alt.reglion.scientology or fark (can't remember which), Hayes suffered a minor stroke in January and hasn't been well since. His PR agent is probably a Scientologist and so made it on "his behalf". I can't wait to see the latest episode where Chef gets a big send off

Still it is rather ridiculous, with every attempt to try to get rid of this episode of South Park, the CoS has actually made people seek it out. To be honest, it ain't that bad and South Park have done alot worse.
Ryuu-Odjn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-23, 15:04   Link #31
OutPhase
Lord Chairman God King

Send a message via AIM to OutPhase
I have no idea that they're only making a hige deal about the episode now since it first aired months ago. What a delayed reaction.

As for Issac Hayes, he's being a complete baby about this whole situation So what if they mocked his religious belief? They mocked Christianity and Judism along with many other religions, so why not his belief? He's taking a cartoon to fucking seriously and should just get over himself a live with it like the other voice actors/tresses on the show South Park who have had their religious beliefs belittled.

Anyway, the reason why that episode should not be shown again should not be because of a complaint by an actor on a show, but rather because the episode sucked and it is the most shown episode of the 10th season of South Park from what I've seen. Every other time that a season 10 episode is on and not new, it's that episode. Seriously, I've seen it aired like 5 freaking times already. It wasn't even a funny episode the first time it was aired, so what makes them think that it will be funny after watching that damn episode for the 5th time that month? Christ.

Compared to most episodes, "Trapped in the Closet" is one of the less offensive mockery's of a belief. There are many episodes far more controversial than that one (and better, too).

In short: Issac Hayes is a whiny douche-bag, "Trapped in the Closet" is far more tame compared to most episodes of South Park, and the episode itself sucks.
OutPhase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-23, 16:17   Link #32
SeekAndDestroy

I thought the episode was hilarious; though it had it's very dull moments. On the other hand though, you're totally right they've made fun of other stuff way worse than this (the episode were they told every religion except mormonism that they were wrong and therefore they were going to hell comes to mind). Besides, the episode had already been aired many many times it's silly to make fun of it now. And why is Tom Cruise getting all pissy about it anyway, now his religion is unique in that no one can talk shit about it; if that's the case then he should have thought about it before he joined a religion that just screams to be made fun of. Personally i don't really care, he can believe in whatever he wants, that's his business (even if it is really really really stupid) my problem is that because now he belongs to the latest hollywood fad he thinks the's got a right to censore and impose his beliefs on everyone else... he can go f*** himself... not to be too harsh..... besides, isn't it time for him to come out of the closet anyway....
SeekAndDestroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-23, 17:10   Link #33
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
TALK IS CHEAP!
He's into Scientology ... says he doesn't care ... yet quits the show over it and makes statements about how Southpark crossed the line this time!

Actions speak louder than words. He's making a much bigger statement by leaving the show over this episode than by pretending he didn't care at all about it.
There's another way to resolve the contradiction, which doesn't require him to be hypocritical. He might have been telling the absolute truth when he said that it didn't bother him. He actually might have been okay with his religion being lampooned. Except that afterwards he starts taking a lot of flack from within his church for having been part of something that mocked them. Then, feeling pressured from his religious leaders and others within his peer group, he felt it necessary to quit South Park. He might even have been told he had to do this by his councilor, in order to continue unburdening his soul.

It would be sad if this was true, but just because his actions didn't follow his words, doesn't mean that he was lying when he said how he felt.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-23, 18:03   Link #34
Lexander
www.thefestlanders.com

It's not that he left Southpark that really bothers, it's his statements after leaving southpark.

I would have had no problem if Isaac Hayes just left southpark without telling everyone about why he is leaving. He believes in Scientology that much, then it's not our place to judge.

He left with a bang!

It could be that he is not being hypocritical ... but it sure looks that way.

The only reason why this episode is being singled out is because of Isaac Hayes and his church. He became their weapon against southpark. I just see him as a backstabber.

It's bascially Scientology Vs Free Speech and for some god forsaken reason Scientology won ...
Old 2006-03-23, 18:42   Link #35
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
It's bascially Scientology Vs Free Speech and for some god forsaken reason Scientology won ...
Don't be silly. How could they have won when not only is South Park still on the air, but they are even making Scientology the main joke in the season premeire of South Park, The Return of Chef. Not only didn't Scientology win that round, but they are getting royally mocked for even trying.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-23, 19:16   Link #36
OutPhase
Lord Chairman God King

Send a message via AIM to OutPhase
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa
Don't be silly. How could they have won when not only is South Park still on the air, but they are even making Scientology the main joke in the season premeire of South Park, The Return of Chef. Not only didn't Scientology win that round, but they are getting royally mocked for even trying.
I believe Lex ment that they were not allowed to show the Scientology episode.
OutPhase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-23, 22:25   Link #37
SeekAndDestroy

Maybe so, but believe me there is no shortage of that episode around, it's very very easy to find right now. Besides it's not like it won't be on the dvd's when they come out.. can't wait for the commentaries for that.
SeekAndDestroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-23, 23:43   Link #38
Green²
It's bacon!

Quote:
Minus Isaac Hayes (Chef). Minus broadcast episode “Trapped in the Closet.”

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSNBC
Hayes, 63, himself a follower of Scientology, surprised producers a week ago by announcing he was leaving the series because he objected to its “inappropriate ridicule” of religion, though he made no reference to the show’s spoof of Scientology last fall.

Two days later, Comedy Central abruptly pulled a scheduled repeat of that episode, titled “Trapped in the Closet.” Sources close to the show said the rerun was canceled after Cruise threatened to boycott promotion of his upcoming film, “Mission: Impossible III,” for sister studio Paramount Pictures.

Representatives for Cruise and the studio denied this. But “South Park” creators Trey Parker and Matt Stone fed the furor by issuing a statement suggesting the Church of Scientology was behind the decision to scrap the rerun.
So for the Cult of Scientology, Hayes was just an one shot thing to spit on South Park & Comedy Central. Tom Cruise however, every time the cult doesn't like something, they'll just have him threaten to boycott promotion of his upcoming work with whatever (If Viacom related in this case)... ...which also makes one wonder how much more longer Comedy Central will take of all of this. Damn Viacom...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Daily Free Press
It has been reported that the Dianetics poster boy threatened not to promote the upcoming release of Mission: Impossible 3, which was produced by Comedy Central's parent company Viacom, if the episode re-aired on March 15th. Of course, the network folded and pulled the episode from its rotation, leaving fans to wonder how the man responsible for Days of Thunder was allowed to judge what passes for acceptable cable television programming.
Green² is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-24, 22:05   Link #39
Inuzuka
now with 20% more ego!

Send a message via MSN to Inuzuka
Many of us have said that we're going to start our own religion and L. Ron was probably the first who actually did it. Now, if only people started getting the joke.
Inuzuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-05, 17:29   Link #40
Lexander
www.thefestlanders.com

Quote:
Thank god it's still on air. I don't know what I would do if ... I'd rather not think about it.

But still ... it's censorships. Even if it's one episode. It's a matter of principle for me.

I probably shouldn't have used all that colorful language ... but I REALLY REALLY feel Isaac Hayes didn't stand up up for South Park for all the wrong reasons.

As for the episode ... I haven't seen it yet, but look forward to it

Apologies for reviving an old topic.