AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2016-06-17, 13:29   Link #381
BPD Renegade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudedmind View Post
Badge pickup for days 1-4 starts at 7am. I can't really speak on how the lines are for day of badge pickup because I always get my badge on Day 0, and last year it was amazing. Apparently they finally overhauled their ticketing system, and when I showed up at 5pm Day 0, there was no line, which confused the heck out of me at first. I was expecting a several hours wait, instead I was out in five minutes tops. If the system works just as well this year, then I can see badge pickup no matter what day you come on not being to much of a problem. Still I'd recommend coming early. If you want to try and get an autography, then definitely show up early. Autograph lines are ticketed, and you have to pick up your ticket between 8 and 12, but there's only 75 priority and 50 stand by tickets given out for each autograph session, and once they're gone that's it. You will not be allowed into the autograph area without a ticket.
Thanks for the tips! I didn't realize the autograph sessions were limited. It's also good to hear the badge system may have been fixed. I was not looking forward to standing in line all day.

I'm surprised that some of the ticketed events aren't sold out yet. I was pretty certain the Super Live and Band Battle concerts would sell out quickly considering who the guests are, but there seems to be plenty of tickets still available.
BPD Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-17, 16:03   Link #382
Cloudedmind

Send a message via MSN to Cloudedmind
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPD Renegade View Post
Thanks for the tips! I didn't realize the autograph sessions were limited. It's also good to hear the badge system may have been fixed. I was not looking forward to standing in line all day.

I'm surprised that some of the ticketed events aren't sold out yet. I was pretty certain the Super Live and Band Battle concerts would sell out quickly considering who the guests are, but there seems to be plenty of tickets still available.
I know some people have been complaining about the steady price increase each year, and how a lot of the side events require you to buy a ticket now. I can understand events being held at the NOVO or Microsoft Theater since those are venues that cost extra to rent (or maybe they don't and it's all a package deal now, since everything's owned by AEG anyway). But it puzzles me when they charge for events that happen within the convention center itself, like the One Punch event.

The other thing is the full schedule isn't up yep and some people might be hesitating to purchase non-refundable tickets for an event that might end up clashing with something else they really want to do.
Old 2016-06-26, 12:33   Link #383
imbehindyou
turn around...

Quote:
Badge pickup for days 1-4 starts at 7am. I can't really speak on how the lines are for day of badge pickup because I always get my badge on Day 0, and last year it was amazing. Apparently they finally overhauled their ticketing system, and when I showed up at 5pm Day 0, there was no line, which confused the heck out of me at first. I was expecting a several hours wait, instead I was out in five minutes tops. If the system works just as well this year, then I can see badge pickup no matter what day you come on not being to much of a problem. Still I'd recommend coming early. If you want to try and get an autography, then definitely show up early. Autograph lines are ticketed, and you have to pick up your ticket between 8 and 12, but there's only 75 priority and 50 stand by tickets given out for each autograph session, and once they're gone that's it. You will not be allowed into the autograph area without a ticket.
Can you elaborate a little more on autograph tickets?
This is my second time at AX (my first was in 2011) and my favorite VA is coming (Suwabe) so I wish I can get one!

Edit: So according to http://www.anime-expo.org/how-to-get-an-autograph/, I'd have to line up at 8 AM on the autograph session day to pick up a ticket for the specific guest I'd want an autograph from?

yuuki kanade @ fortune arterial
imbehindyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-26, 19:19   Link #384
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by imbehindyou View Post
This is my second time at AX (my first was in 2011) and my favorite VA is coming (Suwabe) so I wish I can get one!

Edit: So according to http://www.anime-expo.org/how-to-get-an-autograph/, I'd have to line up at 8 AM on the autograph session day to pick up a ticket for the specific guest I'd want an autograph from?
Tip from someone who has gone a few years. Line up hours early. 8 AM is the time the line starts moving, but if you're at the back of the long line, there's honestly no point staying in the line. Last year, we lined up at least 3 hours prior to the time to ensure we would get a priority ticket. If you have someone you NEED an autograph from, I'd recommend doing the same.
Old 2016-06-26, 23:49   Link #385
Cloudedmind

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiroi Sekai View Post
Tip from someone who has gone a few years. Line up hours early. 8 AM is the time the line starts moving, but if you're at the back of the long line, there's honestly no point staying in the line. Last year, we lined up at least 3 hours prior to the time to ensure we would get a priority ticket. If you have someone you NEED an autograph from, I'd recommend doing the same.

This! Also it's not mentioned on that page you linked, but if it works the same way it did last year, then you can only pick up one ticket at a time. So as an example if there were two guests you wanted to get an autograph from on the same day, then you'd have to get in line, choose one guest and then get back in line to get a ticket for the other guest.
Old 2016-06-27, 18:01   Link #386
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
This! Also it's not mentioned on that page you linked, but if it works the same way it did last year, then you can only pick up one ticket at a time. So as an example if there were two guests you wanted to get an autograph from on the same day, then you'd have to get in line, choose one guest and then get back in line to get a ticket for the other guest.
Last year, I recall being able to grab 2 tickets at one time. I got them in doubles but I didn't line up twice. Hopefully that at the least remains the same.
Old 2016-06-27, 18:26   Link #387
imbehindyou
turn around...

Quote:
Thanks for all the tips!

And don't tell me you lined up at 5 AM. I don't think I can leave my house at 4:30 to line up for that

Also, if anyone is commuting; what's your recommendation for parking? I'm thinking of reserving a spot somewhere close, but haven't made a decision yet.

Old 2016-06-27, 19:29   Link #388
Cloudedmind

Quote:
Last year, I recall being able to grab 2 tickets at one time. I got them in doubles but I didn't line up twice. Hopefully that at the least remains the same.
Perhaps it was just specific for that day that I got an autograph ticket then. It was the day the Fate/UBW cast and crew were doing autograph signings and they were definitely only letting us get one ticket at a time. Two at a time would certainly be better.

Quote:
Thanks for all the tips!

And don't tell me you lined up at 5 AM. I don't think I can leave my house at 4:30 to line up for that

Also, if anyone is commuting; what's your recommendation for parking? I'm thinking of reserving a spot somewhere close, but haven't made a decision yet.
I live close enough that I can take the train or bus in and then do Uber home. I hear parking can get quite expensive.
Old 2016-06-29, 05:14   Link #389
RobotCat
In a Box

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
If the person you're trying to get an autograph from is attached to a panel/booth, sometimes they offer private autograph sessions if you buy something from their booth. Last year you could get Tomoyo Kurosawa's (Kumiko) autograph if you bought something from the PonyCanyon booth. So if you have a lot of money to spend (or was going to buy something anyways) its good to figure out which guests have this option.
Old 2016-06-29, 09:11   Link #390
Cloudedmind

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobotCat View Post
If the person you're trying to get an autograph from is attached to a panel/booth, sometimes they offer private autograph sessions if you buy something from their booth. Last year you could get Tomoyo Kurosawa's (Kumiko) autograph if you bought something from the PonyCanyon booth. So if you have a lot of money to spend (or was going to buy something anyways) its good to figure out which guests have this option.
Yeah, this is what usually happens when the guest is being brought in by a group other than AX itself. As an example this year Tetsuya Kakihara is coming as a guest through Anime Jungle. And if you want a chance to get his autograph you'll have to buy specific goods from either their store or booth, and you'll be able to get an autograph ticket. I believe there are a few other guests as well where similar deals are set up.
Old 2016-07-01, 01:55   Link #391
BPD Renegade

Well, this has been an informative series of posts... 5am just to get an autograph ticket! I guess I shouldn't even waste time attempting to get one?

Nevertheless, see you fellas there! (Not that we'll recognize one another. )
BPD Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-01, 04:31   Link #392
cloud04
Scanlator

it depends who are you getting an autograph for, some artist are affiliated with other companies like the SnS artist when they released fate paradox, artist gave autographs when you buy a copy
Old 2016-07-01, 15:47   Link #393
YF19EX

YF19EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-06, 15:51   Link #394
imbehindyou
turn around...

Thanks for all the advice and hope everyone had fun! I gave up on getting my favorite's autograph after experiencing THE AUTOGRAPH LINE on Day 1 However, I was able to snag one of T.M. so I was really happy about that! If I were staying at a nearby hotel maybe I could've tried, but I wasn't going to commute to LACC at 4AM for a priority ticket

Old 2016-07-06, 17:48   Link #395
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I've done a lot of these sorts of things both here and in Japan, and I have to say A/X may be the most badly-run major event I've ever attended. But it was still a blast.
Guardian Enzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-07, 10:52   Link #396
Cloudedmind

Quote:
Thanks for all the advice and hope everyone had fun! I gave up on getting my favorite's autograph after experiencing THE AUTOGRAPH LINE on Day 1 However, I was able to snag one of T.M. so I was really happy about that! If I were staying at a nearby hotel maybe I could've tried, but I wasn't going to commute to LACC at 4AM for a priority ticket
I'd forgotten TM was only doing autographs for one day so ended up going for Junichi Suwabe, which ended up being a bust as I was only able to get a standby ticket on Friday and he only did the first 15 standby people. I wish I'd gone for Tm instead on Friday as I heard he signed for everyone standby included.

In the end I did get Suwabe the next day as well as Kawamori. I got most of my priorities except Amano. ;_;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I've done a lot of these sorts of things both here and in Japan, and I have to say A/X may be the most badly-run major event I've ever attended. But it was still a blast.
The sad thing is the last two years of the seven I've gone to have probably been the best organization wise.

Who and what did you end up seeing?
Old 2016-07-07, 19:39   Link #397
YF19EX

Quote:
Yea, AX gots nothing on the line and general organization that Japanese cons have. I have been to Comiket, Tokyo Anime Fair, then twice under the reorganization to Anime Japan. Also smaller US cons are nice to go to, because you don't have all the craziness. But you don't always get the guest list either which AX has been managing to do for quite a few years.

But only in AX and western cons in general can I get up close to guests, autographs and get plenty of shikishi drawings easily enough. In Japan, I am fighting over 200k+ otaku over the course of one or two days trying to get the same people. Line organization be damned if you are not first in line 2 days before. And of course lottery and raffles are the only way to get items like drawings or autographs if you are lucky. When it comes to con specific merchandise, most of the time, I just wait till they hit the resale market in Aki or Nakano.
YF19EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-08, 10:12   Link #398
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:

The sad thing is the last two years of the seven I've gone to have probably been the best organization wise.

Who and what did you end up seeing?
I have heard it's actually gotten better. Hard to believe.

Interviewing Tsurumaki and Shintani was definitely the highlight for me. But getting to see the premiere of the Shinkai film (though I almost didn't because of A/X incompetence) with Shinkai in the hall was incredible. Also very interesting to see the founders of PAW and Bones talk about their studios and where they see them going.

That's the thing with A/X - the content is great even if the management is a Lovecraftian abomination.
Old 2016-07-08, 11:59   Link #399
Cloudedmind

Quote:
I have heard it's actually gotten better. Hard to believe.

Interviewing Tsurumaki and Shintani was definitely the highlight for me. But getting to see the premiere of the Shinkai film (though I almost didn't because of A/X incompetence) with Shinkai in the hall was incredible. Also very interesting to see the founders of PAW and Bones talk about their studios and where they see them going.

That's the thing with A/X - the content is great even if the management is a Lovecraftian abomination.
I sadly didn't get to go to any studio panels except for the Trigger creator panel on Monday, different from the larger Trigger panel the day before. I also ended up not seeing the Shinkai film because I was standing in line for the Tetsuya Kakihara panel, which I still ended up not being able to see because they had him in such a small room.

I would say my biggest gripe with AX this year was there need to cram every major guest into Saturday and Sunday which meant a lot of conflicts for me. What's the point of a four day con, and even then more like three days since the last day is a short day anyway, if you're not utilizing all three full days. But this is probably just me being bitter over missing a bunch of stuff I actually wanted to see.
Old 2016-07-08, 12:28   Link #400
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Yes, conflicts on Sat/Sun were a big issue for me. Couldn't go to the BnHA event because it conflicted with the I.G./FLCL event. Almost missed the Bones/Mob Psycho event because it started at the same time the FLCL event ended, three blocks away. Several panels I couldn't attend because of similar conflicts. Friday, OTOH, had basically nothing I really cared about.

Tags
conventions