AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Re:Zero

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2016-08-06, 16:02   Link #21
Brother Coa
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Holy Terra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering Soul View Post
When has Subaru ever treated this like it was a game? He has been serious in just about every loop and knows that this is all very real.
Ahuh... that is why he acted like a hero in his own game, tagged Emilia as his waifu and had quite immature acting in front of very important people and at very important events. Very real indeed...

But that's ok, he is acting like any spoiled shut-in teenager who get's slapped in the face with reality. In his case literally. Only he does not learn from his previous experiences and either commits same mistakes or do something much worse. I seriously fail to see how he had learned form his mistakes. Once the arc is over he returns to his standard spoiled self until new crisis emerge, then he is depressed and dies 3 or 4 more times and only after having someone talk to him to remind him that this is not a game does he stared doing something to make everything better. This is how he did trough arc 1, and how he is going trough this arc as well.

I only like him because he has guts and care about people who meets. As far as everything else goes... his egoism, his stupidity, his selfishness, his inability to learn from past mistakes, to utilize his power for his own needs, to try and understand world he is in and how it works, to actually respect other people who are much more powerful than he is... I don't actually feel sorry each time he dies as it is 90% his own damn fault.
Brother Coa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-06, 16:28   Link #22
Applehell
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Except he hasn't been commiting the same mistakes over and over again.

Yes he had grown ego after his successes in Arcs 1 & 2, yes part his problems sterned from his own immaturity, but their all resulted different issues and all had good intentions behind them. Subaru's reactions also occured in different emotional states after coming out of extreme situations that nobody who wasn't a soldier would have handled well. Lastly he certainly hasn't been treating this as a game. For example when Emilia was getting discriminated he was legitmately mad for her sake, the only problem is that he gotten ahead himself and made claims he shouldn't have. The time when he set out to save the village kids and find Shaman had him making serious effort towards that.

It also not true that he didn't learn from his mistakes before getting to this point, he recongized he couldn't handle the Cult by himself and just Rem or abusing RbD and went abput getting help. He pit Anastasia's advice in practice to get the merchants to help him. So he did do things differently in each loop. They may have led to failures but that is besides the point which is that he tried.

Last edited by Applehell; 2016-08-06 at 16:52.
Applehell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-07, 01:58   Link #23
Brother Coa
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Holy Terra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Applehell View Post
Except he hasn't been commiting the same mistakes over and over again.
Yes he did, otherwise he would not die again and again because of the same damn mistakes.

Also, another proof that he didn't learn his mistakes is how he said to all the knights i n the face "You are knights? What's a big deal then? You probably earn that by being mother and daddy's sons." In a fantasy world, where he saw one of them fighting with great power before his very eyes. He still could not accept that that is not 21'st century Earth, after spending there a good amount of time by that point.

But it's ok, we all have our opinions. To me he is an idiot who deserve all his deaths, to others who is misunderstood bada**.
Brother Coa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-07, 03:29   Link #24
Applehell
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Coa View Post
Yes he did, otherwise he would not die again and again because of the same damn mistakes.

Also, another proof that he didn't learn his mistakes is how he said to all the knights i n the face "You are knights? What's a big deal then? You probably earn that by being mother and daddy's sons." In a fantasy world, where he saw one of them fighting with great power before his very eyes. He still could not accept that that is not 21'st century Earth, after spending there a good amount of time by that point.

But it's ok, we all have our opinions. To me he is an idiot who deserve all his deaths, to others who is misunderstood bada**.
I'm not following your logic here. What he said at the ceremony had absolutely nothing to do with any of the eariler arcs, so what is there to learn from?

Subaru died for completely different reasons in each loop so where is anything in that being the same mistake? I mean how is dying to random dog bite even remotely similar to getting killed a warehouse? I dunno you just sound like your forcing a generalizations on his deaths were there, but yes let's drop it I guess.
Applehell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-07, 03:52   Link #25
Sheba
Part-Time TTK & Master
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Iwakawa base and Chaldea
Age: 38
Also that strawman in the last line was uncalled for. What made you think that we think that Subaru is a misunderstood badass? Seriously? I think that most of those who defend Subaru are empathizing with his circumstances as an ordinary boy from the 21st century stuck in a world well beyond his grasp. Empathy is the key word here.

Chances is that he cared more about playing video games, watching anime, reading manga than listening his parents and his teachers at school. It's already something that he didnt forget to work out.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-07, 15:54   Link #26
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Unknown
Age: 34
I love Subaru. I just don't really feel there's much I can say about him that isn't redundant.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-07, 19:23   Link #27
Moe Connection
Basileus Basileōn
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Couldn't Subaru just tell people he's got some sort of precognition skill instead of telling them that he can return to a certain point in time before dying?
Moe Connection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-07, 20:38   Link #28
Applehell
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
He found out instantly by someone like who has blessing that allows to read people's emotions through the wind. Others would just remain skeptical of him since none of these people are guilble sort to just believe anyyhing without solid tangiblitiy.
Applehell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-07, 20:41   Link #29
Moe Connection
Basileus Basileōn
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Applehell View Post
He found out instantly by someone like who has blessing that allows to read people's emotions through the wind. Others would just remain skeptical of him since none of these people are guilble sort to just believe anyyhing without solid tangiblitiy.
What did that individual think?He's really is telling the truth.His ability is basically a much more advanced form of precognition.

As for other people,if he continues to be successful,they should believe him.At the very least,his close friends should.This is a magic world afterall.

Last edited by Moe Connection; 2016-08-08 at 09:07.
Moe Connection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-07, 20:49   Link #30
Applehell
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Because it is not literal precogition, so he can't say that. He would have come up with another equivalent to RbD.

Yes I agree, but wouldn't work if meeting for the first time unless somebody already trusted could vouch for Subaru.
Applehell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-08, 08:25   Link #31
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Seattle
Age: 36
Subaru is a great protagonist because he's the most human protagonist. The fact that at the start of the 3rd arc most people started feeling disgusted with him was the sign of how human he was, how the author wasn't afraid to show us this part of him.
HayashiTakara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-09, 03:16   Link #32
Ryuuoh DeltaPlus
A Random Lurker
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Philippines
Betelgeuse called Subaru "Pride" during episode 15.
Which, honestly, is one of his glaring character faults.

His pride on insisting that all that he has done for Emilia during each and every reset he had undergone and his begging for her recognition or reward is the reason why their relationship fell into shambles.
__________________
http://i.imgur.com/7aOL93u.jpg
Ryuuoh DeltaPlus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-09, 05:35   Link #33
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Unknown
Age: 34
While I don't exactly disagree on the 'pride' portion, I see no reason to believe that he honestly needs Emilia to 'reward' him.

It always puzzles me how people keep misinterpreting that and defining his entire character by a single line he said while he was in an extreme panic.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-20, 07:07   Link #34
KOapps
Senior Member
*Artist
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: UK
Age: 25
Found some really interesting points on Subaru as character posted on reddit today, but the source seems to be ANN orginally.
Here is the article:
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/feat...e-zero/.105556

Long read ahead.
KOapps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-20, 18:29   Link #35
DemonneoPT
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Portugal
Really nice article. I wish more people would read it before summarizing his entire character as just some uninteresting idiot! I like Subaru because even tho he is cringe-worthy, impulsive and dumb at times i totally get why he acts the way he acts. There is so much more to him, it's impossible for me to not relate to his struggles and all the shit he has been through. Refreshing read indeed!
DemonneoPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-20, 20:02   Link #36
Applehell
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
This another good piece on Subaru:
http://anitay.kinja.com/re-zero-and-...-in-1785144774
Applehell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-22, 11:56   Link #37
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Seattle
Age: 36
Does it bother anyone else as to how so many english speakers can't pronounce Subaru's name correctly, but can pronounce the car name properly, when it's the same exact pronunciation?
HayashiTakara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-22, 17:23   Link #38
Draco Spirit
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
What is the correct way to say it btw?
Draco Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-23, 00:43   Link #39
SeaDoor
Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Southeastern US
What? It's not pronounced "sufferu" ?
SeaDoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-23, 01:37   Link #40
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Unknown
Age: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by HayashiTakara View Post
Does it bother anyone else as to how so many english speakers can't pronounce Subaru's name correctly, but can pronounce the car name properly, when it's the same exact pronunciation?
I've heard plenty of people pronounce the car incorrectly.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
characters

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:51.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
We use Silk.