AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Re:Zero

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2016-07-10, 21:33   Link #1
Kairin
AnimeSuki's Mascot
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Re:Zero - Character Discussion - Rem

The purpose of this thread is to provide a place to discuss all things Rem related.
To keep the discussion enjoyable for all Re:Zero fans, please follow the guidelines below and stay on-topic!
Note: Please don't use this for the specifics (i.e. episode, chapter, game, etc. discussion) there are other threads for that stuff.
Thread Guidelines
  • No campaigning!
    No "hate" or "xyz must die" posts. Discuss why you do or don't like characters without whinging and whining or blatantly campaigning for your favourite.

  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
    Do not insult or harass other members for their likes and dislikes. Do not take it so seriously that you end up in an argument with another forum member because they express a fondness for a character you loathe. Discussion and good spirited banter are always welcome, but harassing people will not be tolerated.

  • Discuss, don't chat.
    Please remember that AnimeSuki is a discussion forum, not a chat room, there is a difference. If you wish to chat, then please make use of our IRC channel.

  • Have fun, but post intelligently.
    It's great to have fun, but please try your best to add substance to what you post and make your thoughts interesting for the generation of fans that will follow after you’re long gone and on to watching some other series.

  • Use Spoiler tags!
    Spoilers are allowed, but they must be enclosed in spoiler tags clearly marked with a proper title. Failure to do this can result in a BAN.

    • Adding a Spoiler tag:
      Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms. Make sure that you include a title for the spoiler!

    • Please use the Report button if you see any spoilers:
      Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar. Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators to locate and deal with problems quickly.

    • Posting prohibited spoilers may result in a ban.
      Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly. The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.
Kairin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-11, 15:07   Link #2
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Seattle
Age: 36
Rem is love, Rem is life... best character in the series hands down, no contest.
HayashiTakara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-11, 15:26   Link #3
Harbinger
Squirrel Master
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Yeah, Rem best girl.

I find the lack of glorious fanart disturbing.
Harbinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-11, 15:44   Link #4
BladeMancer
TheBladeThatRivesDivinity
 
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: My House
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbinger View Post
Yeah, Rem best girl.

I find the lack of glorious fanart disturbing.
There is no lack of, there is a glorious overabundance of it.
__________________
Rage is like a blade.
Constant use will make it dull and weaken; it's user lacking purpose and aim. Thus comes the saying that the ire of the calm, kind and gentle forges with a mighty fire; a fierce blade, to cleave the one who beckoned their vengeance
BladeMancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-11, 15:44   Link #5
Seafoam
『Lolimancer』
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Earth-2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbinger View Post
Yeah, Rem best girl.

I find the lack of glorious fanart disturbing.
Where in the heavens are you looking?
Seafoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-11, 15:57   Link #6
Harbinger
Squirrel Master
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
I meant in this thread
Harbinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-11, 15:59   Link #7
Seafoam
『Lolimancer』
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Earth-2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbinger View Post
I meant in this thread
The joke.
My head.
Seafoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-11, 16:13   Link #8
Incest Emblem
Onii-sama!
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Images
Rem fanart, you say?
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

On a more serious note, as much as Rem is lovable and loyal, I find her relationship with Subaru rather disturbing.

We know Rem has confidence and self-worth issues because of her history with her sister: When they were young, Ram helped her with everything and was better than her at everything. In a moment of weakness, Rem felt relief that Ram having her horn cut off meant that Rem would no longer be overshadowed by her sister. As penance for her weakness and for repaying Ram's help, she more or less dedicated herself to helping Ram.

Her relationship with Subaru seems almost like an eerie replay of what happened with Ram. Of course, Subaru did not do nearly as much for Rem as Ram did, but she seems to greatly value what he did--trying to save her and affirming her worth as an individual. And her behavior seems at least partly attributed to her moment of weakness--when Subaru pushed her from the dogs, she thought she could have pulled him to safety, but she hesitated and did not. It was penance for that act that drove her to go into the forest for herself, and I do not think she ever let go of that--which was why she identified Subaru as the reason for her to die when she entered the cult headquarters.

In effect, Rem simply acquired another person she felt that she had to dedicate herself to. it is quite similar to what happened with Kaede in Shuffle, and it is about as unhealthy, even though she has not shown any yandere actions toward Emilia.

As for Subaru, Rem dedicating herself to him seems to reinforce the notion--whether he really believes it or not--that he is owed something for saving them. In a way, the argument between Emilia and Subaru at the end of episode 12 was perhaps less a meta discussion about RPGs giving the hero the heroine as a reward than a warning about Subaru and Rem: Their relationship is not heartwarming romance; it is actually unhealthy co-dependence.

Given Subaru's mental state, I wonder if he will try either of the following this loop:
1. Save only Rem and drive the 2 apart when he reveals to Rem that he deliberately abandoned Ram.

2. Try to use Rem as a living weapon.
Incest Emblem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-12, 14:58   Link #9
Loran Cehack
Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Land of soccer - Brazil
Age: 27
^
I believe that it's not the case with Subaru. I view their relationship more like love (in a man/woman way, and not sisterly) and the things she did for him showed that. That was not guilt nor regret or anything negative like that.
__________________
Loran Cehack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-12, 17:10   Link #10
Applehell
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
It clear that Rem idolizes him now to like she does her sister. I don't view that as necessary a bad thing though as long as isn't taken too far. It's not dissimilar to how Subaru idolizes Emilia as both were born from the same thing; gratitude. Even if they have manifested a little differently.

Last edited by Applehell; 2016-07-13 at 04:46.
Applehell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-13, 00:06   Link #11
Kuroageha
Mystic Musician
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Kaede as comparison is so wrong.
Kuroageha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-13, 18:18   Link #12
moridin84
Custom User Title
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Ireland
Age: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Incest Emblem View Post
Images
Rem fanart, you say?
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

On a more serious note, as much as Rem is lovable and loyal, I find her relationship with Subaru rather disturbing.

We know Rem has confidence and self-worth issues because of her history with her sister: When they were young, Ram helped her with everything and was better than her at everything. In a moment of weakness, Rem felt relief that Ram having her horn cut off meant that Rem would no longer be overshadowed by her sister. As penance for her weakness and for repaying Ram's help, she more or less dedicated herself to helping Ram.

Her relationship with Subaru seems almost like an eerie replay of what happened with Ram. Of course, Subaru did not do nearly as much for Rem as Ram did, but she seems to greatly value what he did--trying to save her and affirming her worth as an individual. And her behavior seems at least partly attributed to her moment of weakness--when Subaru pushed her from the dogs, she thought she could have pulled him to safety, but she hesitated and did not. It was penance for that act that drove her to go into the forest for herself, and I do not think she ever let go of that--which was why she identified Subaru as the reason for her to die when she entered the cult headquarters.

In effect, Rem simply acquired another person she felt that she had to dedicate herself to. it is quite similar to what happened with Kaede in Shuffle, and it is about as unhealthy, even though she has not shown any yandere actions toward Emilia.

As for Subaru, Rem dedicating herself to him seems to reinforce the notion--whether he really believes it or not--that he is owed something for saving them. In a way, the argument between Emilia and Subaru at the end of episode 12 was perhaps less a meta discussion about RPGs giving the hero the heroine as a reward than a warning about Subaru and Rem: Their relationship is not heartwarming romance; it is actually unhealthy co-dependence.
Unhealthy co-dependence is a really good way to describe their relationship. Though in a certain sense, it's actually an improvement compared to how they were before. After all, before Subaru was only obsessed with Emila and Rem with Ram. Now they are splitting that into two, Subaru with Emilia and Rem, Rem with Subaru and Ram. If the managed to split it into 5 or more, they will start to become more balanced people.

I don't know whether Rem dedicating himself to Subaru reinforces his belief that he should be "awarded" the heroine he saved. Emilia disabused that notion already. Even if that didn't stick, I doubt Subaru thinks about Rem in the same way. Rem killed him twice, torturing him beforehand the second time. Well honestly, I'm not sure what he really thinks of her.

Rem isn't simply a "sweet waifu", despite how she has acted since the mansion arc. You can see this in episode 15 when she's talking to the cultists. Her voice gets rather ugly and is full of hatred and rage.

Also, Rem tells Subaru that she stays with him "because she wants to", and tells Crusch that to her "he is special". These things really take a different meaning when she described him later as her "reason to die".
moridin84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-13, 22:18   Link #13
Arkard
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: United States
The Subaru being her "reason to die" line had quite an impact on me when I first saw it. Compared to the usual romantic "reason to live" line it sounded horrible at first, but thinking about it more deeply I think it's far more indicative of a purer love or selfless love vs obsession or dependence. "A reason to live" line could be utilized in the latter situations. Subaru being her reason to die shows the depths of her feelings in that she's willing to sacrifice everything for him. Its not just empty words either given her actions in Ep. 15. I also think it means more because there's a very high chance she's aware of Subaru's feelings for Emilia. It seems highly probable from her commenting on being happy that she got him to herself in the capital to everyone else seeming to realize (I mean come on Crusch picked up on it within a day) it save Emilia herself. (I'd normally chalk this up to denseness, but I think she's just been so despised being similar to the witch that she doesn't even think it possible for someone to love her)

One theory I like myself is Rem becoming the witch in the future + her hopping back in time to ensure Subaru comes to the world/save him/reunite with him if he died originally without Return by Death. If she starts becoming envious of Emilia and mind breaks like everyone else and their mother in this series so far, I wouldn't put it past the author to have her desperately attempt to appeal to Subaru including, by say, using magic to take on an appearance similar to Emilia. Return by Death could also stem from her intense desire to safeguard Subaru's life too, especially if he's offed in a bad end and she snaps because of it. The only thing questionable is why would the cultists would attack her village, but they're all bat shit crazy anyway, and you try 100% controlling a bunch of nut jobs. Plus she might be totally mad by then too.

On a more lighter note, is it just me or has Rem only gone into her oni mode so far because of Subaru? Queue "horny" jokes.
Arkard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-14, 03:23   Link #14
moridin84
Custom User Title
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Ireland
Age: 34
I feel like her love for Subaru and her desire to die for him are two separate things.

Pretty sure that Rem knows that Subura loves Emilia.
moridin84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-14, 07:44   Link #15
Loran Cehack
Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Land of soccer - Brazil
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by moridin84 View Post
I feel like her love for Subaru and her desire to die for him are two separate things.

Pretty sure that Rem knows that Subura loves Emilia.
In episode 14 where she said him to save some of that love for her (talking about Emilia) it pretty much showed that she knows his feelings for Emilia, which made her actions and feelings for him all the more heartbreaking since he up until now had eyes only for Emilia. Hopefully with her latest actions towards him, Subaru now knows of those feelings and the ultimate sacrifice she made for him *SubaruXRem FTW *
__________________
Loran Cehack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-18, 17:40   Link #16
Syan48306
Forgotten Lurker
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loran Cehack View Post
In episode 14 where she said him to save some of that love for her (talking about Emilia) it pretty much showed that she knows his feelings for Emilia, which made her actions and feelings for him all the more heartbreaking since he up until now had eyes only for Emilia. Hopefully with her latest actions towards him, Subaru now knows of those feelings and the ultimate sacrifice she made for him *SubaruXRem FTW *
Well it came as a shock to Subaru at the end of episode 15 but it's not like there's any doubt in her feelings to Subaru. Even if she doesn't remember it, Subaru knows how far she's willing to go for him.

The most Subaru's ever got from Emilia is the desire to be accepted and treated as an equal friend. He really should just go for Rem. The show can end happily with a Subaru/Rem couple with Emilia as a queen and Subaru as a trusted friend.

Images
Rem fan art? SFW but good luck explaining to your IT director why you're not working
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic31447_2.gif

Last edited by Syan48306; 2016-07-18 at 18:03.
Syan48306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-20, 09:27   Link #17
an1m3b0y
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Philippnines
REM is so cute.... i think.. i like her!
an1m3b0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-24, 13:53   Link #18
Twi
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syan48306 View Post
Well it came as a shock to Subaru at the end of episode 15 but it's not like there's any doubt in her feelings to Subaru. Even if she doesn't remember it, Subaru knows how far she's willing to go for him.

The most Subaru's ever got from Emilia is the desire to be accepted and treated as an equal friend. He really should just go for Rem. The show can end happily with a Subaru/Rem couple with Emilia as a queen and Subaru as a trusted friend.

Considering how many times she keeps dying for him, I'm really thinking the author has that as the planned ending.
__________________
https://wandsandvials.wordpress.com/2017/12/27/an-alchemist-sets-out-1-01/
Twi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-24, 17:49   Link #19
Draco Spirit
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
I'm really curious were Rems devotion going to end up tbh. Emilia does seemed to be set up as the main love interest, but Rem sooo devoted and clearly a important secondary character...

Probably a set up for more suffering latter?
Draco Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-24, 18:40   Link #20
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Canada
Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draco Spirit View Post
I'm really curious were Rems devotion going to end up tbh. Emilia does seemed to be set up as the main love interest, but Rem sooo devoted and clearly a important secondary character...

Probably a set up for more suffering latter?
Curious in a lot of ways. Seems like it is set as well for some potential surprises. Sure, Subaru presumed when he got there that Emilia was his "main heroine" but maybe that's not the case.

Could end up the situation where Emilia turns more into an important friend than necessarily his love interest. And instead things develop more with Rem. But, who knows. It very much depends how the latest events surrounding Rem play out.
__________________
FlareKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
characters

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:06.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
We use Silk.