AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2012-08-29, 21:50   Link #3441
ReaperxKingx
Emperor of the Expected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
It sounds like Reapers are really just diluted synthetic versions of the Leviathans.
Actually they are, especially the diluted part. Harbinger is the first "True" Reaper and probably the largest and strongest among them, was made from Leviathans. Not sure if you can consider Leviathans more advance because they seem arrogant, but they consider themselves to be. Leviathans say they are more advance and the most Apex organics to have ever lived and been around longer than the Reapers. I myself consider them more powerful than the Reapers, I think only Harbinger can give them a problem.
ReaperxKingx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-29, 22:49   Link #3442
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

The Leviathans apparently are benevolent dictators in the rule. They enslaved pretty much any race they came across, but protected them and cared for them while they had them enthralled. Better than the Protheans, I suppose...
Old 2012-08-29, 23:02   Link #3443
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
The Leviathans apparently are benevolent dictators in the rule. They enslaved pretty much any race they came across, but protected them and cared for them while they had them enthralled. Better than the Protheans, I suppose...
I just don't see the point. ME3 has already told us that wanting the power of rights, self determination and freedom is abhorrent. That genocide is acceptable, and that it is perfectly fine to take orders from big scary people in order to survive. So why even fight the Leviathan?

The Shepard who told the Reapers to get lost is already dead. He got the refusal ending. The other Shepards would not oppose Leviathan rule.
Old 2012-08-29, 23:16   Link #3444
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Yr preachin' to the converted, Vallen.
Old 2012-08-30, 05:14   Link #3445
Destined_Fate

So this DLC changes nothing. They really should have made Refuse offer a chance of victory, instead they had to stick it to the fans one last time.
Destined_Fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-30, 05:36   Link #3446
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

So they invented a more powerful Reaper version? ... //facepalm. What the hell is Bioware doing?
Old 2012-08-30, 07:05   Link #3447
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by npal View Post
So they invented a more powerful Reaper version? ... //facepalm. What the hell is Bioware doing?
The original vision of the ME universe was already abandoned. So there is no surprise that now there is difficulty in attempting to extend it. In a world that doesn't make sense anymore, there is no way to create a new enemy sensibly.
Old 2012-08-30, 07:18   Link #3448
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
The original vision of the ME universe was already abandoned. So there is no surprise that now there is difficulty in attempting to extend it. In a world that doesn't make sense anymore, there is no way to create a new enemy sensibly.
Well, it made SOME sense, whichever of the 4 endings you picked. Adding a more powerful villain because they wrote themselves into a corner of galactic peace by the grace of God at this point is retarded and further degrades whatever value the Reapers still had. Usually you either abandon the setting altogether or just create villains from inside the known settings. Seriously, not every being born afterwards must be altruistic and without vice, nor will the interests of races (or semi-races if you picked Synthesis) never collide again. You can't play the "God villains" card more than once.
Old 2012-08-30, 07:21   Link #3449
ReaperxKingx
Emperor of the Expected

Quote:
Originally Posted by npal View Post
I don't think so, I think they were trying to show what the Reapers were modeled from.
Old 2012-08-30, 07:24   Link #3450
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaperxKingx View Post
I don't think so, I think they were trying to show what the Reapers were modeled from.
And in so doing, they created a more powerful villain than the supposed godlike Reapers... eeeh...
Old 2012-08-30, 07:38   Link #3451
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Suppose some comical value in just seeing how bad this can all get. It's just silly at this point. How much sadder can the Reapers get?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destined_Fate View Post
So this DLC changes nothing. They really should have made Refuse offer a chance of victory, instead they had to stick it to the fans one last time.
That probably would have been best. Show this massive fleet you've assembled off.
Old 2012-08-30, 14:03   Link #3452
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

... Okay, not sure how I feel about this. It just feels like... a reset to me. Like the studio went "Oh crap, we sorta kinda destroyed how mysterious the reapers are... so let's introduce these guys who are just as mysterious, but organic, and imply they're going to claim back their empire!"

It's kinda interesting I guess, but I would have liked it more if it had a bit more impact on the whole. Also, pointing out that Harbinger is the first reaper just makes the lack of Harbinger in ME3 even worse.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-30, 14:11   Link #3453
ReaperxKingx
Emperor of the Expected

I don't think they are making Leviathans as the next villain. Not sure how they are going to create Mass Effect 4 if they are basing on that.
Old 2012-09-19, 02:53   Link #3454
ScorchingFlames
Jack of Blades

Looks like we are getting more DLC for Mass Effect 3, for the next 6 months it seems. More multiplayer content a few more single player stories, one called Omega which is probably the retake Omega DLC that most people were talking about wanting and apparently another full game. I'm not sure if they meant new entry to the Mass Effect series or entirely new game of it's own.

http://www.allgamesbeta.com/2012/09/...e-dlc-and.html
ScorchingFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-19, 05:35   Link #3455
Destined_Fate

I think more people just want to see their Shepard alive at the end and given a happy ending. It sucks how all the endings were basically, how do you wanna die and never see the fruits of your labors?

Bioware would have made a killing if they just released a DLC that gave Shepard and his/her squad closure and a happy ending.
Old 2012-09-19, 05:48   Link #3456
Key Board
Carbon

I think you're right

I came into ME3 knowing the stakes, and knowing that Shepard would most likely die

So it's not an issue for me, but some want a happy closure.

I reject the idea of another DLC, though.
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell
Key Board is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-19, 07:03   Link #3457
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Judging by what we got from Leviathan, I'd buy more DLC like it, myself - I miss Omega.
Also, a post-game story-driven one would be just intriguing enough, for me.

BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-19, 07:10   Link #3458
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
I think more people just want to see their Shepard alive at the end and given a happy ending. It sucks how all the endings were basically, how do you wanna die and never see the fruits of your labors?

Bioware would have made a killing if they just released a DLC that gave Shepard and his/her squad closure and a happy ending.
At the very least that is not my issue.

My issue is that the ending completely invalidates the Quarian/Geth war. Regardless of what Shepard does, he is told that the Quarians are the one in the right and that he has no say in it.

Shepard lost his dignity in the ME3 ending. He wasn't even allowed to die on his own terms, at least not until the refuse ending was inserted. The ME3 ending suggest that the universe is better off if Shepard died on Eden Prime.
Old 2012-09-19, 08:11   Link #3459
Destined_Fate

Makes sense since even in Refuse and you lose the war the next Generation wins no matter what by accepting the Reapers proposal.

It's really sad that the only way to beat the Reapers is if they let you win and you agree with their choices.
Old 2012-09-19, 08:23   Link #3460
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Makes sense since even in Refuse and you lose the war the next Generation wins no matter what by accepting the Reapers proposal.

It's really sad that the only way to beat the Reapers is if they let you win and you agree with their choices.
It's just sad... That after three games, Shepard is told that he wasted his time. Everything he worked for is for naught, because it is canon that he can't beat the Reapers at all.

A weird message to send, isn't it? It would be like reaching the final castle as Mario, only to have him fall on his knees against Bowser, and Princess Peach was lost forever.

Tags
effect, games, mass