AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Higurashi

Notices

Old 2011-06-13, 10:32   Link #1721
Frisko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kantoku View Post
I think they're just the most unique to his point of view? If they were canon, then I feel very bad for Keiichi since that would mean his first kiss is from Ooishi and I wouldn't know how to accept "Limit" then, that would be a very bad end for the entire series.
I've heard that one of those manga (Yukiwatashi-hen) establishes Hanyuu looped the life of more then one Rika, so "Limit" would only be a bad end for one of them. I think the stuff that wasn't written by Ryukishi 07 should simply be considered Expanded Universe material
Frisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-13, 11:31   Link #1722
Joly
モエカステル

With all the different fragments in the Higurashi universe, I think some of them could work as possible endings/worlds... but they probably shouldn't be treated as apart of the "official storyline".

Also, I really liked "Arigatou" in Katarabanshi-hen 7, which was about Hanyuu disappearing in 1984. So sad... ;;

EDIT: Two more questions related to Frederica Bernkastel's poems.

1) To those who have played Higurashi Kizuna. (I only have IV...) Were there any new Frederica Bernkastel poems in the DS-only arcs? I know there were two new ones in the PS2 Matsuri.

2) And about Saikoroshi-hen VN chapter, the story about "when God still appeared in front of the people" - are these considered Frederica Bernkastel poems? It's not signed with her name like the other poems. I'm wondering because people seem to consider it a poem of hers...

Last edited by Joly; 2011-06-13 at 11:55.
Joly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-19, 01:19   Link #1723
CatOfTime

I've watched the Higurashi anime series (Higurashi no naku koro ni, kai & rei) and am currently collecting the manga series in English to my book collection. I've read the wikipedia article about the series but I still have some questions regarding the arcs.

If I have understood correctly the main series goes like this (marked the ones that have been released/will be released for sure in English with italic writing):

Higurashi no naku koro ni is the “question” part of the series and consists of these four arcs:
Abducted by Demons Arc (Onikakushi-hen)
Cotton Drifting Arc (Watanagashi-hen)
Curse Killing Arc (Tatarigoroshi-hen)
Time Killing Arc (Himatsubushi-hen)
All of these have already been released in English.

Higurashi no naku koro ni Kai is the “answer” part of the series and consists of these four arcs:
Meakashi-hen (Eye Opening Arc)
Tsumihoroboshi-hen (Atonement Arc)

Minagoroshi-hen (Massacre Arc)
Matsuribayashi-hen (Festival Accompanying Arc)
All of these have been released in Japanese except for the last volume of Matsuribayashi-hen. Both Meakashi-hen and Minagoroshi-hen have gotten an English release date (some volumes are already out) and supposedly Minagoroshi-hen and Matsuribayashi-hen are going to be released afterwards.

Higurashi no naku koro ni Rei is an extra part of the story and consists of these arcs:
Saikoroshi-hen (Dice Killing Chapter)
Batsukoishi-hen (Penalty Loving Chapter)
Hirukowashi-hen (Daybreak Chapter)
Out of these three arcs only Hirukowashi-hen has been released as a manga version in Japanese but if the wikipedia entry is correct there’ll be a manga version of Saikoroshi-hen in the future. These arcs might be released in English much later.

Then there are some manga only arcs that are extra stories:
Onisarashi-hen (Demon Exposing Arc)
Yoigoshi-hen (Beyond Midnight Arc)

Utsutsukowashi-hen (Reality Breaking Arc)
Kokoroiyashi-hen (Heart-Healing Arc)
All of these arcs have been released in Japanese. Onisarashi-hen and Yoigoshi-hen have been released in English. It’s unknown if the Utsutsukowashi-hen and Kokoroiyashi-hen will be released in English.

+ there's a number of exclusive arcs for DS,PS2 etc. that will most likely never meet a manga version more unlikely an English translation.

-----------------------------------------------------------

So if Yen Press decides to release only the most vital arcs (even though they have released already two extra story arcs) are Minagoroshi-hen & Matsuribayashi-hen the only arcs that do not have an official release date?

Are the Utsutsukowashi-hen and Kokoroiyashi-hen a good add to the story or do you think these arcs will never be released in English?

Has there been any news about the Saikoroshi-hen or Batsukoishi-hen being made into manga versions?

After Matsuribayashi-hen gets the volume 8 the arc should be complete? This means that the main arcs (question and answer) are complete (manga versions)?

Thank you for answering and sorry for the troublesome questions
CatOfTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-19, 16:17   Link #1724
rogerpepitone

Send a message via Yahoo to rogerpepitone
Utsukowashi-hen was cancelled after three chapters, so it probably won't be released in English. I haven't heard much positive about Kokoriyashi-hen.

Also, happy Watanagashi to all of you.
rogerpepitone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-03, 15:19   Link #1725
Kuroi Hadou
Dark Energy

Can someone give me a recommended order to read the manga arcs in? Some of the arcs don't have an accompanying volume order...
Old 2011-07-03, 15:42   Link #1726
rogerpepitone

Send a message via Yahoo to rogerpepitone
If you're talking about Yen Press's release, look at the spine.
At the top, there's the Yen Press logo, "Higurashi series", and a number in a circle. The circled number is where that volume falls among all released volumes.

Abducted by Demons 1-2, Cotton Drifting 1-2, Curse Killing 1-2, Time Killing 1-2, Beyond Midnight 1-2 (optional), Eye Opening 1-4 (3 released so far).
Demon Exposing (?) (Onisarishi) might lack a number; I suppose you could read it anytime after Time Killing.
rogerpepitone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-19, 13:53   Link #1727
Guernsey
The GAP Man

Send a message via AIM to Guernsey Send a message via MSN to Guernsey Send a message via Yahoo to Guernsey
One thing boters me, how did Satoshi get Hinamizawa syndrome in the first place?
Old 2011-07-19, 15:07   Link #1728
Oblivion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guernsey View Post
One thing boters me, how did Satoshi get Hinamizawa syndrome in the first place?
The Hinamizawa syndrome is an airborne disease. So anyone who stays in Hinamizawa long enough will contract it. That's why Keichii who isn't from Hinamizawa got it.
Oblivion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-19, 15:26   Link #1729
Dante of the Inferno
Turnin' the Tables

Quote:
One thing bothers me, how did Satoshi get Hinamizawa Syndrome in the first place?
Satoshi has been in a L2 state ever since Satoko has needed his constant protection from their aunt and uncle. He reached L3 when he confessed to Rena about hearing the footsteps. He hit L4 shortly after killing his aunt. He hit L5 after he started hallucinating in Dr. Irie's car and seeing his aunt everywhere.

Edit: It should be noted that the mental/physical(?) stress of defending Satoko and himself from their aunt and uncle is the trigger for Satoshi's increasing L-state.
Old 2011-07-19, 15:35   Link #1730
Guernsey
The GAP Man

Send a message via AIM to Guernsey Send a message via MSN to Guernsey Send a message via Yahoo to Guernsey
^ Is that so? It leads to my next two questions.

Spoiler for Hinamizawa Syndrome:
Old 2011-07-19, 16:04   Link #1731
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Stress activated. Mion doesn't have all that much stress. Rika is Rika.
Old 2011-07-19, 16:19   Link #1732
Dante of the Inferno
Turnin' the Tables

Quote:
^ Is that so? It leads to my next two questions.

Spoiler for Hinamizawa Syndrome:
Since you even know about Hinamizawa Syndrome, I'm going to assume that you've seen Season 2 of Higurashi Kai or have read the translated Answer Arcs in the manga. If not, disregard these ABSOLUTE SPOILERS.

Spoiler for Yeah, still absolute spoilers:

As for Satoshi:

Spoiler for When and Where:
Old 2011-07-20, 12:41   Link #1733
Yirba
Spider Lily Translations

Put simply…

Spoiler:
Yirba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-20, 15:26   Link #1734
Kantoku
見ぬが花

But...

Spoiler for Keiichi in Onikakushi-hen:
Kantoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-20, 16:42   Link #1735
Yirba
Spider Lily Translations

I think it's…

Spoiler:

To be honest, I'm not entirely sure how the Hinamizawa Syndrome works. I feel that there are still a lot of unanswered mysteries that aren't covered by the sound novels.
Yirba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-20, 22:31   Link #1736
Dante of the Inferno
Turnin' the Tables

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kantoku View Post
But...

Spoiler for Keiichi in Onikakushi-hen:
Spoiler for Explanation:
Old 2011-07-20, 22:52   Link #1737
Kudryavka

Spoiler for Rika:

Spoiler for Manga Irie:

And a question about the sound novels, Onikakushi-hen. Higurashi takes place in the 1980s, right? I swear there's a line in it directly referring to a camera cell phone, where Keiichi talks about some people using them or something. It wasn't a blatant fourth wall breaking either, he was just talking about them as if lots of Japanese had them in the 1980s. -_-

Is this Mangagamer's translation, or was that in the original Japanese script??

Last edited by Kudryavka; 2011-07-20 at 23:03.
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-21, 00:16   Link #1738
Joly
モエカステル

Spoiler for Several things I wanted to point out regarding the Hinamizawa Syndrome...:
Joly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-21, 01:27   Link #1739
Dante of the Inferno
Turnin' the Tables

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joly View Post
Spoiler for Several things I wanted to point out regarding the Hinamizawa Syndrome...:
Spoiler for Counter:

Quote:
Spoiler for The Queen Carrier Theory - Part 2:
Spoiler for Alternative Inference:

Quote:
Spoiler for Hinamizawa Syndrome - Part 3:
Spoiler for Fine Line of Interpretation:
Old 2011-07-21, 21:02   Link #1740
Kantoku
見ぬが花