AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2006-08-31, 10:22   Link #61
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

For a while I was playing Star Ocean 3, but I was put off by its way too steep learning curve. I'm more of an "old-school" RPGamer, and I prefer the old-styled turn based stuff. Plus the older one gets, the less time one can concentrate on any RPGs, especially one so complicated as SO3. So I've decided to just pull all my resources (i.e. free time, besides anime of course) on one RPG franchise - the Suikoden series, starting with Suikoden V.

I know it's out for nearly half a year now, but its release coincided with a wonderful light-novel based anime about an eccentric cute girl and her supernatural antics (no prizes for guessing). Anyway, I've finally gotten myself to start playing, and oh yes, Suikoden V definately has that Suikoden feel to it again, something that was plain absent in III and IV, especially IV.

(This also means Haruhi-ists will be calling for my head for not translating the novels lately. )

I don't know if this place includes Bishoujo Games as well, but at the moment, I'm also trying to finish Tick! Tack!, the Nerine spin off to SHUFFLE!, before the Kaede spin off Really? Really! comes out sometime next month.
Kinny Riddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-31, 14:15   Link #62
arias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinny Riddle
For a while I was playing Star Ocean 3, but I was put off by its way too steep learning curve. I'm more of an "old-school" RPGamer, and I prefer the old-styled turn based stuff. Plus the older one gets, the less time one can concentrate on any RPGs, especially one so complicated as SO3. So I've decided to just pull all my resources (i.e. free time, besides anime of course) on one RPG franchise - the Suikoden series, starting with Suikoden V.
Oh ho ho ho Sounds just like me.

I just worked on Suikoden V yesterday.. how was it for you? It's got wayyyy too much loading times for me. It even has a loading screen after battles.. however, the characters in the first 4 hours are compelling me to play on. Even FFXII has fewer loading times than this..
arias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-31, 14:49   Link #63
Varion
殲滅天使

Send a message via AIM to Varion Send a message via MSN to Varion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinny Riddle
I know it's out for nearly half a year now, but its release coincided with a wonderful light-novel based anime about an eccentric cute girl and her supernatural antics (no prizes for guessing). Anyway, I've finally gotten myself to start playing, and oh yes, Suikoden V definately has that Suikoden feel to it again, something that was plain absent in III and IV, especially IV.

(This also means Haruhi-ists will be calling for my head for not translating the novels lately. )
Fear not, the Haruhiists commend your superior taste in RPGs. Though I still don't think SO3's that hard... meh.

If you like V already arias you'll be fine. Waaay too many people who seem to hate the first 8 hours for 'being too slow' (hello? it's character development, and good character development at that). Whole game needs more Miakis though, she wasn't in it anywhere near enough. You'll get used to the loading times, I'd forgotten about them but they did kinda bug me when I was playing, especially when you've got an emotional scene going, the music suddenly cuts off and you have to watch people run/viki teleport while it loads.

Also, how is ICO? I know nothing of it other than it's by the same people as Shadow of the Colossus. I think.
Varion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-31, 15:52   Link #64
arias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valdra
Also, how is ICO? I know nothing of it other than it's by the same people as Shadow of the Colossus. I think.
Ack, I typed most of the post without realizing you probably don't know anything of ICO. It's a first generation PS2 game (2001).. same creators of Shadow of the Colossus but smaller staff (20-ish) and like SOTC, is rather unconventional. It plays abit like an adventure game.

It's highly naturalistic (I don't mean setting) and bareboned. For a 2001 game, it has very few loading times and gameplay is often seamless.. the graphics are also quite gorgeous. Parts of it are dated like the lack of textures, but overall it was really sometimes stunning. This ties in with the naturalism I talked about; maps are often huge in scale and you really get a sense of things..

Because there are no NPCs, no (real) equipment, no other complex systems like menus and such, the game keeps you very focused on the characters. It is often very intense, and the lack of bg music makes it all the more so. There are also very subtle character interactions... I don't know how far I should talk about this but as you know, there are two characters and you play one of them, guiding and protecting the other. Although the designer didn't make "co-operation" a big intent in his design, it turns out it's quite striking to the player.

If you're a loving person, I'm sure the game will spike your instinct to protect. I certainly had my filling to protect a beautiful, aloof, white ice princess onee-san

The game is admittedly minimalistic. The richness doesn't come from density of in-game material but the clarity and intensity of what is there. It uses music rarely, but I've had the save-game song on constant loop on my Winamp for the past two days (I'm sometimes obsessive for my muzak ;p).. it's whimsical and beautiful. Controls are rather sharp but at times the platformer-aspect of it annoys. The game plays out rather beautifully towards the end. If you can get it for cheap and try it, I recommend you to do so. Would be worth it. Space-wise also fits on a CD.

I've been vigorously engaged with finding out more about its ending and its overall plotline the past two days, and it certainly still is on my mind now.
Old 2006-08-31, 21:55   Link #65
Shirobane
Haruhiism Worshipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by celcius
PS2: GGXX/, still sucking badly...
There's a site my friends found that have quite a few match videos of GG/, If you've played your character enough, watching a few videos might give you some ideas on how to really abuse them Just google "gamechariot". I wonder if there's a GG thread in here...

ok a little update, I've basically scrapped all other games I've posted before and am currently tackling Star Ocean: Till' the End of Time before my boot disk arrives...

...anything to tide over the urge to watch haruhi another 3 times over...
Shirobane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-31, 22:45   Link #66
SpecterVR
Calming Everyday Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsheit
Which one? I loved SH: Covenant (and liked the original), but there was just something missing from SH: The New World (worst RPG protagonist....ever).
I wanted to get the series knocked out in order, so I got my hands on the first Shadow Hearts game. TOO EXPENSIVE! Didn't even get a case or a booklet with it either. <_<

Can't wait to sink my teeth in =B
SpecterVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-01, 12:57   Link #67
Ombrenuit
Day Dreams...

Send a message via AIM to Ombrenuit Send a message via MSN to Ombrenuit
I guess I'm playing just about as anime a game can get, Disgaea 2 (which came out yesturday, although I had no idea. I was just crusing the internet and it had peaked my interest before; I just liked Final Fantasy Tactics Advance a lot back in the day (last year...) and figured that this would be a new twist on that). It's pretty fun so far although the voice acting and story definitly makes me feel a little too old for it heh. But oh well thus the escapism. And no, I never played the first.
Ombrenuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-01, 13:07   Link #68
wsheit
Combating Spoiler Scum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ombrenuit
I guess I'm playing just about as anime a game can get, Disgaea 2 (which came out yesturday, although I had no idea. I was just crusing the internet and it had peaked my interest before; I just liked Final Fantasy Tactics Advance a lot back in the day (last year...) and figured that this would be a new twist on that). It's pretty fun so far although the voice acting and story definitly makes me feel a little too old for it heh. But oh well thus the escapism. And no, I never played the first.
I'm surprised so many people missed out on Disgaea- although I guess it has gotten rare. Disgaea is pretty much regarded as the best strategy RPG of all time, and I imagine the sequel is in the same ballpark. The story and characters are SUPPOSED to be very kiddy and tongue-in-cheek, so just enjoy it on that level.

BTW- I recommend turning on the japanese voice acting- I don't know how people stand the dubs
Old 2006-09-01, 13:35   Link #69
Rengemaru
Mad Scientist

Quote:
I'm surprised so many people missed out on Disgaea- although I guess it has gotten rare. Disgaea is pretty much regarded as the best strategy RPG of all time
I guess you haven't played FF tactics yet? Beside Disgaea is tactics not strategy.
Old 2006-09-01, 14:04   Link #70
wsheit
Combating Spoiler Scum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rengemaru
I guess you haven't played FF tactics yet? Beside Disgaea is tactics not strategy.
I'm aware of FF:T's pedigree, but I think most people who have played the first Disgaea would agree that it was a fresh evolution of much of FF:T's formula and broadened the tactical experience, thus earning the accolade I issued above. And Disgaea is often called an SRPG.
Old 2006-09-01, 14:16   Link #71
Rengemaru
Mad Scientist

I tried Disgeae too, it's a great game with a nice story but FFT better.
And I don't know why it's called SRPG, it's tactics not strategy, hell when the hell people started using SRPG? All I remember are RPG, tactical RPG and real-time RPG.
Old 2006-09-01, 15:09   Link #72
arias

Quote:
I'm surprised so many people missed out on Disgaea- although I guess it has gotten rare. Disgaea is pretty much regarded as the best strategy RPG of all time, and I imagine the sequel is in the same ballpark. The story and characters are SUPPOSED to be very kiddy and tongue-in-cheek, so just enjoy it on that level.
Best strategy RPG of all time? : p I've not played many, but I'll say it's Final Fantas Tactics. I've tried Nippon Ichi's games.. namely Phantom Brave to get a taste of the battle system that is their trademark. It was rather good, but it can get rather obsessive.. I quit playing the game because it took too much time to tinker with everything and keep your equipment in top form. I'll say that while NI's systems have alot of OFF-BATTLE value, which is the tinkering, the actual battle situations aren't always as testing as FFT's.

Plot-wise, I'll grant that Disgaea is charming.. but FFT was ambitious, and a real work of art. Anyway, I'll grant you that some people would think it's the "best strategy RPG of all time", but plenty plenty plenty more will disagree ; )
Old 2006-09-01, 18:19   Link #73
Corn
Gotta kill 'em all!

Guild Wars, of course.

Used to play WoW... Boy I was alot of time on that game:/ Like GW so much better. And im starting to get a social life again, yay!
Corn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-01, 22:31   Link #74
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Well since my computer is dead I can mercifully refrain from that list.

Let's see:

Super Robot Wars F/Final/MX/Impact/Alpha3/GC/OG/2,3,EX Complete Box
Metal Gear Solid 1 & 3.
Castlevania Dawn Of Sorrow
Trauma Center Under The Knife
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
Advance Wars Dual Strike
Front Mission 4
Another Centuries Episode 1 & 2
Disgaea
Phantom Brave
Makai Kingdom
Xenosaga Episode 1
Devil May Cry 3 SE
Tales Of Legendia
Gundam MS Saga
Kingdom Hearts II
Prince Of Persia Sands Of Time
Grand Theft Auto San Andreas
New Super Mario Bros.
Mario and Luigi Partners In Time
Metal Saga
Metroid Prime
Super Mario Sunshine
Fire Emblem Path Of Radiance

No, That's not a list of all the games I own, these are just the ones I'm actively playing, and this does not include the list of computer games I was playing before my computer's power supply imploded.

Oh and wouldn't Shuffle! be considered more of an experience then "Playing A Game".
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-03, 00:41   Link #75
SpecterVR
Calming Everyday Life

All the FFT fans should really play Tactics Ogre : Let us cling together.
Completely stellar game. As for Disgaea being the best SRPG ever, well, simply opinion. A lot of people didn't really like Disgaea due to it not being...y'know. Serious.

Plus I love the Front Mission series to death to say that. Especially for PS2 strategy, FM4 is quite good.
SpecterVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-03, 04:18   Link #76
celcius
Aspiring but lazy

The thing with NIS games is that they have alot of ways to customize and level your character (beyond normal level caps) and some maps that were made for massive XP farming. As such, with proper preparation, you can literally bulldoze through story maps. But that is exactly the charm of NIS games IMO.

Story-wise, NIS games are more comedic and wacky; while FFT is dead serious. Can't really do a comparison for that since both games target a different set of people.

Guitar Freaks Drummania Masterpieces Silver (or something like that)
First impression was that there wasn't enough songs that were good. After going through most of the songs, I found that the average playability of all the songs in GFDM MS is higher than GFDMV. So I guess it's baibai to GFDMV. ^^
celcius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-03, 05:22   Link #77
arias

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecterVR
Plus I love the Front Mission series to death to say that. Especially for PS2 strategy, FM4 is quite good.
I'm playing FM 5 and this game is MAKING me dish out 5-8 hour sessions at one go.. I've played three sessions and I'm 21 hours in. Time seriously flies when you play it; it's an excellent game. Production values are extremely high for a non-FF title from Squeenix. I am desperately praying they pump out a US version sometime.. but then again I won't be able to afford the time to replay it.

As for Orge Battle, I heard it was the prototype for FFT, really. The character relationship template (brothers & sisters) was built in OB by Matsuno and polished up in FFT. Regardless, I might play it one day.. might.. ; ) Right now I'm still slaving away on Suikoden V, FM V and Vagrant Story.
Old 2006-09-03, 05:32   Link #78
Sides

Currently got Killer7 back on my cube.
Just trying to kill the time untill blood+ ~one night kiss~ arrives ^^
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-03, 10:16   Link #79
Sailor Enlil
GWAAAA!

Technically speaking, I'm playing Quake1 (yep the old classic FPS game, still fun to play after all these years). But not in its original form. I'm playing using a TC (Total Conversion) known as Minako Quake which turns your character into Sailor Venus (albeit with powers of almost all the other senshi as well as her own, and she even has Sailor Saturn's Silence Glaive, which serves as a last resort attack by blowing everything up). See these screenshots of the Senshi Attacks.

Thanks to that mod I'm fragging those monsters with the cool senshi attacks - my favorite is the Jupiter Oak Evolution, which can kill most monsters with one shot (the Shambler can be taken down with two J.O.E.'s), followed by Mars Burning Mandala (good for killing groups of weak enemies like the grunts, enforcers, and knights), and the Venus Crescent Beam (good for blowing things up, like groups of zombies - just stay out of the blast radius or you're really gonna get hurt!). And there's the Venus Love Me Chain, which is used like the Grappling Hook in the CTF games so you can get around to normally impossible-to-reach places.

Apparently the author of the mod has a thing against Sailor Chibi/Mini Moon, and somehow turned the Wizard/Scragg (the flying armless thing) into Quake2's Technician (the barrel shaped flying thing) and renamed it the "Pink Spore Monster", except that it shouts "Pink Sugar Heart Attack" when fighting and even shoots those tiny pink hearts to add to the effect.

Last edited by Sailor Enlil; 2006-09-03 at 10:31.
Sailor Enlil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-03, 12:25   Link #80
Samourai
Le samouraļ est le illest

Send a message via AIM to Samourai
Naruto: Saikyo Ninja Daikesshu 4 for the DS
Samourai is offline   Reply With Quote