AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-02-20, 08:06   Link #2441
Marower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
York Shin wasn't exactly G-rated, either, and it managed just fine.
I'm not sure if you've read the manga, but the whole thing with Chimera Ant arc is to show how brutal the world actually is. York Shin is nothing compared to it. Reading it is extremely tense and almost scary.

Marower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-20, 12:58   Link #2442
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Really you're overestimating the Chimera Ant arcs, and underestimating the effectiveness of basic censorship.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-20, 15:47   Link #2443
TooPurePureBoy
Socially Inept

I don't know man there is some pretty edgy stuff in that arc. Without spoilers or taking the time to point out specifics, I'll just say that the amount of corpses alone and the rather nonchalant way they are presented makes this tough to imagine in a kids timeslot.
Old 2013-02-20, 16:21   Link #2444
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

People dying isn't really a new thing to kids anime (They blew up a cargo robot! And the cargo was people!), so I have no idea what the problem is.

If they die in a bit of a graphic way, there's plenty of techniques to tone it down without losing the story value.
Old 2013-02-20, 16:30   Link #2445
Clarste
Human

Well, whether or not it's possible they'd have to change a lot more than they ever have before. For example, even in Yorknew all the random victims of the spiders were mafia thugs, which makes it harder to sympathize with them even as we realize how brutal the Troupe is. And even as recently as a few episodes ago they removed all mention of the cannibalistic tendencies of a certain serial killer (who was presented sympathetically himself!). The Chimera Ant arc takes this several steps further by... [rest omitted for spoiler reasons].

I can see how they might do it, but I'm not sure it'd really have the same impact.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-20, 16:46   Link #2446
HybridBloodsZak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
People dying isn't really a new thing to kids anime (They blew up a cargo robot! And the cargo was people!), so I have no idea what the problem is.

If they die in a bit of a graphic way, there's plenty of techniques to tone it down without losing the story value.
Would like to point out in other shonen anime(sans JoJo X D), people RARELY die and stay dead** first of all compared to HxH.

It's not just that people die graphically because you're right Madhouse will censor it akin to YorkNew* but the way the arc presents itself. Without spoilers, it's painfully blunt and you see some pretty horrible things that would violate human rights laws that'll happen in real screen time(not exaggerating either). In other shows when characters talk about how bad the world used to be and it's better; in HxH they're in that crappy world

*Which I have to add I thought they censored pretty darn well for a Sunday morning slot. YorkNew's overall aesthetic and tone was intact if not enhanced by Madhouse

**Edit

Last edited by HybridBloodsZak; 2013-02-20 at 17:19.
HybridBloodsZak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-20, 17:13   Link #2447
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HybridBloodsZak View Post
Would like to point out in other shonen anime(sans JoJo X D), people RARELY die first of all compared to HxH.
DBZ? Anyone?
Old 2013-02-20, 22:10   Link #2448
zeniselv
Staring into your soul.

The no perma-death is something that rather associated with shonen is most specific to shonen jump.
Old 2013-02-20, 23:42   Link #2449
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HybridBloodsZak View Post
Would like to point out in other shonen anime(sans JoJo X D), people RARELY die and stay dead** first of all compared to HxH.
Saint Seiya Omega is currently having an impressive body count.
Old 2013-02-21, 04:37   Link #2450
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeniselv View Post
The no perma-death is something that rather associated with shonen is most specific to shonen jump.
I can think of a few (granted not all too many) instances of faceless masses dying without being brought back.
Old 2013-02-21, 06:18   Link #2451
whitecloud

by the way...will they also animate the "mini" arc that come directly afterward, it is after all tie up some loose end after chimera arc...there is a good stopping point just before the manga go into hiatus
whitecloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-21, 07:38   Link #2452
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Hell, it's a good place to end an anime entirely.
Old 2013-02-21, 20:43   Link #2453
SinsI

Can't agree more. Second to last chapter of the manga tied up almost all the loose ends; if the author didn't introduce a teaser for the new arc in the last chapter, the manga could've ended right there.
SinsI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-22, 12:02   Link #2454
The Butcher
Butchered Taste

Maybe I am in the minority here, but I think Greed Island is one of the worse arcs in this series.

Maybe it is because I ABSOLUTELY despise training arcs, which is what made whole arc take a step back in quality imo.

I highly prefer Phantom Troupe arc than Greed Island.
The Butcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-22, 20:29   Link #2455
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

I would somewhat agree with you, were it not for the fact that the audience learns new stuff about Nen at the same time the characters do.
Old 2013-02-23, 01:50   Link #2456
zeniselv
Staring into your soul.

Up to this point the series has been about killua and gon training and growing, i think the problem its theat GI feels much more generic, the plot lacks focus, and the progresive exposition about about the game world and system dont help us relate with it.
Old 2013-02-23, 03:01   Link #2457
Vladrave
The Dark Slayer

From what you guys say, it seems that the chimera ant arc is beast. I have only watched both anime versions but never really read the manga.

Last edited by Vladrave; 2013-02-23 at 08:48.
Vladrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-23, 08:12   Link #2458
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeniselv View Post
the progresive exposition about about the game world and system dont help us relate with it.
...It doesn't?
Old 2013-02-24, 00:53   Link #2459
HybridBloodsZak

Hisoka has officially been assigned "PedoClown" status after this week....

In Heaven's Arena you could argue he was getting turned on by Gon's strength not him but this week he got a full on boner in the bath and then SCHWING'd with his aura staring at Gon and Killua's asses
HybridBloodsZak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-24, 00:53   Link #2460
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
Sashibuni...*releases Nen, gets hard*

Well, this episode was quite enjoyable (^,^)! Hisoka is just so awesome here, as usual. I can't believe he used Gyo on Killua's and Gon's ass. I don't even WANT to know what he was thinking.

It was indeed interesting to see how perceptive Biske is, knowing Hisoka is hiding something. Seeing two deceptive chars...kinda...deceive...each other just puts a huge grin on my face =03.

The whole City of Love part wasn't in the old OVAs(I dunno if it was in the manga though), so, being an old TV/OVA viewer and manga reader, it was great to see something new =03. Lol'd at Gon trying to save the girl. That is SO like him. The girl with the swirly glasses was super cute too.

Killua's analysis of what Hisoka was hiding was superb by realizing all of that in such a short amount of time with only Biske's intuition and based on what little info Hisoka has given him.

frubam is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, shounen