AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Shin Sekai Yori

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-12-12, 15:40   Link #21
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Wing View Post
From his post it just sounds to me like he's just having a laugh about all this. You should just ignore that obvious troll post.
Excuse me. I have a name here? Don't point accusations, dude. If you want to ridicule somebody in public make sure they're not reading it or if kindly address them properly.

Anyway, that is your HUMBLE opinion and I RESPECT that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
This makes no sense. Would you enjoy a relationship with someone you don't love or aren't even attracted to? She has to accept it, yeah, but she doesn't have to like it, and it's pretty obvious she doesn't.
If she's willing to take the risk to find happiness then she must. Look at Mamoru. He is so devoted to her and had never paired himself with any guy. If she could be like him... Then I may praise her and given my sympathy.

Quote:
I do think that she likes him as a friend and cares a lot about him. I just don't see her being attracted to him like she is towards Saki. In fact, putting aside Saki's longing for Shun, Maria's attraction for Saki was the only thing that seemed genuine to me when it comes to romantic feelings.
Hate to say this, but Maria has more feelings for Saki than for Mamoru that is based on the anime. But it will changes probably as the story goes on ... and I think I'll base my future opinion there...

Last edited by NoemiChan; 2012-12-12 at 15:54.
Old 2012-12-12, 15:59   Link #22
Dark Wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
Excuse me. I have a name here? Don't point accusations, dude. If you want to ridicule somebody in public make sure they're not reading it or if kindly address them properly.

Anyway, that is your HUMBLE opinion and I RESPECT that.
Hey now I'm not ridiculing you I'm just stating that you're obviously joking and that Kazu shouldn't take it so seriously. My apologies if I sounded like a jerk.
Old 2012-12-12, 16:40   Link #23
Kazu-kun

Quote:
If she's willing to take the risk to find happiness then she must.
Happiness has nothing to do with it. She's forced to choose a guy and she did so. That's all there is to it.

Quote:
If she could be like him...
But that's the thing. You can't force yourself to like someone, specially when you don't even feel attracted to them in the first place.
Old 2012-12-12, 16:45   Link #24
NoemiChan
Banned

Quote:
Happiness has nothing to do with it. She's forced to choose a guy and she did so. That's all there is to it.
I meant that Maria avoids any other relationships at her risk to prove her love for Saki same as Mamoru.

That said... next is Saki...
Old 2012-12-12, 16:53   Link #25
kuromitsu

Quote:
I do think that she likes him as a friend and cares a lot about him. I just don't see her being attracted to him like she is towards Saki. In fact, putting aside Saki's longing for Shun, Maria's attraction for Saki was the only thing that seemed genuine to me when it comes to romantic feelings. All in all, I'm pretty sure she would stick with her is she wasn't socially conditioned to look for a male partner.
Maria is very attached to Mamoru, I think that's been made very clear. Mamoru has always been a bit of an outsider in the group (since he's not their childhood friend, plus there's his painfully shy and negative personality), and Maria has been basically taking care of him and being there for him ever since they were 12. It may not be a particularly romantic attachment but he clearly means a lot to her, and Mamoru has made it very obvious how much Maria means to him. It's not like she had to force herself to pair up with him, or that she doesn't like this arrangement and finds it uncomfortable because it's a guy, eww.

I think she would've picked Mamoru even if she had a chance to pair up with Saki.
Spoiler for not spoiler but from the novel:
I don't think she would've appreciated Mamoru being off with someone doing who knows what. And Saki pairing up with Satoru and Maria with Mamoru has no bearing on the two girls' relationship, that has been made pretty clear.
Old 2012-12-12, 17:18   Link #26
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuromitsu View Post
Maria is very attached to Mamoru
I'm talking about romantic/physical attraction, like how Saki wanted to be male so she could make out with Shun in place of Satoru, that kinda thing. Maria obviously feels very attracted to Saki, but I don't see her feeling the same towards Mamoru. She cares a lot about him but in a platonic way as far as I can see.
Old 2012-12-12, 17:29   Link #27
NoemiChan
Banned

Quote:
I'm talking about romantic/physical attraction, like how Saki wanted to be male so she could make out with Shun in place of Satoru, that kinda thing. Maria obviously feels very attracted to Saki, but I don't see her feeling the same towards Mamoru. She cares a lot about him but in a platonic way as far as I can see.
This an example, right? Sorry to ask. I don't want to get the wrong idea.
Old 2012-12-12, 17:43   Link #28
Kazu-kun

Quote:
This an example, right?
It's from the novel.
Old 2012-12-12, 18:23   Link #29
kuromitsu

Quote:
Does it matter, though? Maria cares deeply about Mamoru (dunno about how platonic it is, really... everything considered), so she paired up with him, and she was satisfied with this arrangement. Again, it's not like the relationship between her and Saki has changed in any way just because they paired up with Mamoru and Satoru, respectively.

Spoiler for nsfw, I guess? the novel:
Old 2012-12-12, 19:05   Link #30
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Does it matter, though?
Of course it matters. It shows that there are things about a person that can't not be changed no matter how socially conditioned you are.

Quote:
she was satisfied with this arrangement.
She didn't seem so satisfied to me.
Old 2012-12-12, 19:21   Link #31
kuromitsu

Quote:
She didn't seem so satisfied to me.
What made you think that?

Frankly, I think you're seeing things in this character that I'm not really seeing...
Old 2012-12-12, 19:21   Link #32
hgjfgh
Banned

Quote:
Does it matter, though? Maria cares deeply about Mamoru (dunno about how platonic it is, really... everything considered), so she paired up with him, and she was satisfied with this arrangement. Again, it's not like the relationship between her and Saki has changed in any way just because they paired up with Mamoru and Satoru, respectively.

Spoiler for nsfw, I guess? the novel:

Spoiler for Novel:

Spoiler for Novel:

Last edited by hgjfgh; 2012-12-12 at 19:45.
Old 2012-12-12, 23:38   Link #33
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

@kuromitsu Sincerely, if you need to reference the novel to prove that Maria loves for Mamoru is because:

1) Further down the line they retroactively (thru flashbacks) show us another side of Maria we have not seen so far.

2) You assume the novel is the only official thing. This is a pet peeve of mine. If I see a movie, a TV series or radio drama it stands by itself, if it is different from the source material it is not wrong, it is just different and copy/pasting selected paragraphs from the novel wont change that.

Oh, and Reiko was not cut off by the group, everybody was hypnotized to believe she never existed just the same as Saki was to forget about her sister, so Mamoru is a relative newcomer to the group.
Old 2012-12-13, 03:28   Link #34
kuromitsu

>ogon_bat

Do read please what I wrote in the previous page..... :3 Also, this is not an adaptation issue, the anime, too, is being pretty clear. People just keep talking as if romantic love was the only kind of love worth feeling or the only love that can make people feel or do anything important.

Maria may not be in love with Mamoru, but you've got to be blind not to notice how much they're attached to each other. And I'm not going to post spoilers (most people here have already read them elsewhere, anyway :P) but when it comes to that point - would you do what Maria does for Mamoru for someone you don't love and just "care for" in an everyday way? (Mamoru is friends with Saki and Satoru, too, but it never even occurred to them.) And she's not being coerced into anything, she does it out of her own free will. (Even Mamoru objects, at first.)

Also, I'm not sure what you're talking about when you say "another side of Maria"...

(Btw no, they cut off Reiko even before she got disposed of and they were made to forget about her. They weren't doing it out of meanness or anything, just assumed she wouldn't want to hang out with them after everything that happened, but, well...)
Old 2012-12-13, 06:05   Link #35
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Going strictly by the anime, my impression is that Maria is moved by Mamoru's extreme dedication to her, and loves him in at least some ways. I think she sees him the way a guy sees an incredibly loyal pet puppy/dog.

I also think that Maria likes being "the dominant partner", and Mamoru gives her that in flying colors. Saki wouldn't, really.

I think that Maria loves Saki more than anybody else, and feels more passion for Saki than anybody else, but precisely for these reasons, Maria probably knows just how much "Ryou"/Shun means to Saki. Perhaps Maria isn't willing to be another person's "consolation prize", even if that person is Saki. Maria knows that she definitely won't be Mamoru's "second fiddle".
Old 2012-12-13, 06:34   Link #36
kuromitsu

Or maybe Maria just knows that her relationship with Saki is not compromised either way so why worry? She loves Saki, Saki loves her and kept loving her even when she was in love with Shun/supposedly in love with Ryou, and the pair-ups don't change anything. In the meanwhile, there's Mamoru who loves her and whom she already has a comfortable, loving relationship with.

Last edited by kuromitsu; 2012-12-13 at 06:45.
Old 2012-12-13, 07:00   Link #37
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Or maybe Maria just knows that her relationship with Saki is not compromised either way so why worry? She loves Saki, Saki loves her and kept loving her even when she was in love with Shun/supposedly in love with Ryou, and the pair-ups don't change anything. In the meanwhile, there's Mamoru who loves her and whom she already has a comfortable, loving relationship with.
Well, a lot of this depends on how adults live in Saki's society.

Once the formal pairings of the latest episode of Saki are complete, do they sort of negate/nullify preexisting sexual pairings?

If they don't, I'm not sure why this society would even bother with such a formality. I mean, it's almost like expecting everybody to get married even while they're in a hippie "free love" society.
Old 2012-12-13, 18:42   Link #38
NoemiChan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
If they don't, I'm not sure why this society would even bother with such a formality. I mean, it's almost like expecting everybody to get married even while they're in a hippie "free love" society.
That wouldn't be good for a TV series show. Imagine Saki's mother kissing with her female lover while she and her Dad are watching.... WTF?

That's one hell of a monkey based society.. I rather allow homosexual relation to co exist rather than an orgy...

Going back on track.. Where are the three going and planning? Search for the "missing" person?
Old 2012-12-14, 12:08   Link #39
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
A quick note, Maria/Mamoru relationship has not been very well depicted in the anime, what kuromitsu says is true, but has been only hinted or briefly showed in this adaption... like a lot of other things
Old 2013-01-06, 01:47   Link #40
youngrace
Inactive Member

As of the recent episode, it's pretty clear what Maria's feelings are re: Mamoru. I agree with kuro...physical attraction is not the only thing that that defines love between two characters. She basically gives up Saki and everything she knows to be with Mamoru, which is the strongest example of love I've yet to see in the series. (I never would've thought she had it in her tbh. She's quickly becoming one of my favorite characters, although I know I shouldn't get too attached
Spoiler for spoiler:
)
Closed Thread

Tags
characters