AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2012-06-21, 11:43   Link #41
sa547
*Author

I think the ideal CPU/GPU temperatures are as follows: between 35c and 45c at idle, and between 45c to 55c while playing games. But indeed (and aforementioned) those temperatures can be lowered further by replacing the stock cooling systems for the CPU and (if possible) the graphics card with good aftermarket kits (as I play Skyrim regularly I plan to replace the AM3+ stock heatsink with a Deepcool unit).

Temperatures over 60c may not be a grave threat to hardware, but that excess heat could shorten their lifespan.

Also, to get better temp readings there are some vendors selling digital thermometer kits with a sensor that can be inserted into the CPU and powered by a spare plug from the PSU.

(BTW, maybe I forgot or I could be repeating this, but what CPU and video card you're using, Urzu? If they're both recent models it'll be easy to get aftermarket coolers for them. Furthermore, rather than have a repair tech charge you much for a cooler swap, there are also some online tutorials that can show you how to swap the stock coolers with those kits.)
Old 2012-06-21, 14:59   Link #42
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Well, I found out that putting a new fan and heatsink on my CPU wouldn't be hard. I've never done it before, but I found a fan and heatsink that is compatible with my CPU socket type, and I read a couple of reviews that said installing the fan with that CPU socket type is easy.

My GPU should be fine. After cleaning a bit of dust from it, the highest temp I recorded so far is 61 degrees Celsius.

My CPU is a Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition. My GPU is a Radeon HD 5750 (I forgot the brand).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dist View Post
Definitely not. An idle temp of 60C would be ridiculous. An idle temp is typically (for me at least) 15-20C less than when I am gaming. But there's no reason to be alarmed and stop playing just because your temperatures are exceeding the '' recommendation '' by few. It's just a recommendation, nothing more.. Ít's not a solid value where the CPU will explode if it is exceeded
Also, the max temp they give must be a conservative figure with some padding between it and a temp that is actually bad for your CPU. Putting the advised max temp one degree away from a degree that would be harmful for the CPU would be bad for the manufacturer. It'd be a bad way to go about things, and some people wouldn't like that, and some people, when finding out about it, would go after the company over it.

After cleaning the CPU fan and heatsink, the highest temp that was recorded when browsing the web was 50 degrees Celsius. I used utorrent and got a temp of 54 when using it and browsing the web. I think my highest idle temp was around 43 to 45 degrees Celsius when just leaving the computer alone for a while.

Last edited by Urzu 7; 2012-06-21 at 15:17.
Urzu 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-24, 18:50   Link #43
Wandering_Youth
lost in wonder forever...

Yeah 60-ish idle tempt is bad, but 40-ish sounds more normal. There's no way any good modern clean computer system should idle at those tempts that's just not right. After looking at your case, I assume it only has one fan which is the top rear one? In that case you might want to buy two addition fans. One for the Top and one for the Front Bottom, try get the largest fan size for those slots as larger fans can move more air per spin and cuts down on noise.

How does the inside of your computer case look like? If the wiring is all over the place and blocking proper air flow then that might be another problem.

If it looks like this then you might need to rewire your cables:

Spoiler for For Size:

If you're still planning on buying a aftermarket heatsink and fan get the largest one you find that will fit your in your case as it can keep your CPU cooler and they make less noise because of the amount of air they can blow on the heatsink at lower speeds. You probably already know, but don't skip out and buy cheap thermal paste.

Last edited by Wandering_Youth; 2012-06-24 at 19:11.
Wandering_Youth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-24, 19:44   Link #44
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

I don't think I need another case fan right now. The wiring looks a lot better than that pic you posted. But would I need another case fan only to reduce the temperature of the CPU, or is it good for other things? Right now my CPU is doing pretty well. This one CPU fan and heat sink I found that has a 5/5 rating after many reviews has written reviews, and some of them said that they replaced the stock cooler for the same CPU I have and got lower temperatures. I'd much rather just put in a new fan and heat sink for the CPU then another system fan. The system fan will be harder, the CPU fan and heat sink I'm looking at is said to be pretty easy to install.
Old 2012-06-24, 22:28   Link #45
Wandering_Youth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7 View Post
But would I need another case fan only to reduce the temperature of the CPU, or is it good for other things? Right now my CPU is doing pretty well.
A case should have two fans minimum, 1 for intake and 1 for exhaust. I find it odd that your case has only one exhaust fan and no intake especial if it is a gaming PC case because one has to take into an account of how hot the GPU and CPU are going to be running when playing games for long extended periods of time.
Quote:
This one CPU fan and heat sink I found that has a 5/5 rating after many reviews has written reviews, and some of them said that they replaced the stock cooler for the same CPU I have and got lower temperatures. I'd much rather just put in a new fan and heat sink for the CPU then another system fan.
That's fine. Got a link to this said Heatsink and fan?
Quote:
The system fan will be harder, the CPU fan and heat sink I'm looking at is said to be pretty easy to install.
That is true CPU fans are very simple to install because most of the attachments are universal and standardized. Case fan maybe be easy or a pain depending on how the manufacture of the case decides to design it.

Here the idle temperatures for my CPU and GPU along with their fan speeds.
Spoiler for My temps:

Last edited by Wandering_Youth; 2012-06-24 at 23:07.
Wandering_Youth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-26, 15:40   Link #46
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Here is a link to that fan and heatsink:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835118223
Old 2012-06-26, 18:26   Link #47
Wandering_Youth

Cool, that's the same heatsink and fan I used back on my old PC except I was using the 120mm larger one. It's good and quiet and you can adjust the fan speed manually.

Zalman usually makes some great heatink and fans at affordable prices. Just be careful when installing cause I tell you from experience those fins are sharp.